Apr

As the Soriano turns

Following Rafael Soriano‘s eighth inning meltdown last night, the Yanks’ high-paid set-up man made himself some unwanted headlines when he left the clubhouse before talking to reporters. In New York City, where sports writers are the arbiters of a newly-minted Yankee’s personal character and the tabloids don’t take kindly to snubs, this move was met with outrage from the usual suspects. It seemed, in fact, worse that Soriano, upset with his pitching, hadn’t give a rote apology than that he had blown the game.

When the clubhouse opened today and reporters ambled in, Soriano was ready with his apology. He apologized for not speaking with reporters and said he was upset for blowing CC Sabathia‘s stellar start. In fact, he was too upset to speak with his mother who asked if it was too cold for him last night. He also said that he couldn’t find his balance on the mound during that fateful eighth inning. (For a more complete transcript of his apology, check out this ESPN NY piece.)

Clearly, as CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler noted, the Yankees’ Front Office and Scott Boras told Soriano to speak with reporters, and Joe Girardi said Soriano’s quick clubhouse exit last night is not a clubhouse issue. Yet as another high-priced star pitching in the Bronx, Soriano has the responsibility to answer to the media after his failures. It might just be part of the same old song and dance, but that’s what happens under the New York microscope. I’m sure Soriano has learned his media lessons; hopefully, we won’t see too many more late-inning meltdowns either.

Categories : Asides, NYC Sports Media

1. Steve H says:

I’m a bigger fan of Soriano after today. He just had his first big failure with the Yankees, doesn’t speak great English and felt terrible about losing the game for CC. I’m sure he wasn’t going to feel comfortable speaking last night. For someone described so poorly by some media members, his comments today make me believe he’s a pretty good dude. Hopefully getting this out of the way helps him settle in. I wouldn’t be surprised to see his guys rally around him now either.

2. Xstar7 says:

I feel sorry for Sori.

3. Yank the Frank says:

Derek should advise him in media relations.

4. Marshall Brown says:

Girardi set him up for this. Joe, back to back this early? By the book he is. He’s my 8th guy. That’s foolish.

I think Mike/Joe should run a live feed where we could vote on when a starter should be pulled, a runner sent, call it the RAB Virtual Manager. At least 25% of us were on our couches last night saying what are you doing, Joe? We need to crowd source that collecive RabBI wisdom. That way if they are reading the feed, maybe we can avoid a meltdown like last night. I bet 7000 RABbis are collectively smarter than any Joe you could name.

• SteveD says:

I was thinking the same thing. Why bring him in leading 4-0. IMO should have brought in Robertson. And especially after pitching the night before. This in on Girardi.

• Monteroisdinero says:

Instead of the binder he looks at the RABbi tally to make his decision.

Brilliant!

5. Rey22 says:

Hopefully he doesn’t go to the Randy Johnson school of media relations.

6. Poopy Pants says:

For what it’s worth (nothing), he seemed miserable when interviewed the previous night after doing a great job. I guess I would too, if I were being interviewed in another language.

7. pete says:

I could care less if a guy talks to the media.

But I can has no more meltdowns?

8. FernandoP says:

Well it was nice to see Soriano apologize. As a Hispanic born in this country, I come across a lot of Spanish people that are labeled as aloof, grumpy or unfriendly. I too have made that comment, only to find later that person was friendly, caring and nice but were ashamed of their ability to speak English. They were afraid that someone would mock their accent or think of them as stupid because they could not pronounce words correctly. I think Soriano falls in that category from what I have seen. So let’s give the guy a chance. No judgements based on what supposedly happened in other places.

Now, do you think there is any chance we’ll see Sherman apologize for being so judgemental? “He took a bribe to come here for a role he did not really want. Maybe money really can’t buy happiness.” I’m sure Sherman would leave the Post in a New York minute if he could make more money. Most people leave for more money. Is that a bad thing?

9. Jim says:

I am 100% O.K. with Soriano choosing not to speak to the media, but then I’m 100% O.K. with every athlete not speaking to the media. Surely we’ve noticed that 99% of sports interviews are a complete waste of time. The questions are obvious, and the answers are either totally predictable (Derek Jeter) or insane (Tyrell Owens). For every Rex Ryan that occasionally steps out of the box there are a hundred athletes who have completed Media Relations 101. I never liked Steve Carleton but I loved the fact he wouldn’t talk to the media. Are athletes forced to give interviews nowadays? Is it in their contracts? Is boredom officially mandated?

10. Poopy Pants says:

Also, fuck the media.

11. Jenny says:

——————————————————-

Perfect post.

The self-important media is so petty.

12. Boogie Down Enigma says:

Do you really think he’s learned his lesson? Soriano did this all the time in Atlanta. Ask David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution or Mark Bowman of mlb.com or anyone else that covered Soriano during the 3 years he played for the Braves. Soriano regularly pulled this crap. The most famous time he did it he told the Atlanta media, “You don’t speak to me when things are good, you can’t speak to me when things are bad.” This is who Soriano is. I warned every Yankee fan I knew about this. I didn’t think it would take only a week for Soriano to act like his douche-y self, but apparently he did. A helluva reliever, but a gloomy, moody douche as well. He is who he is. He ain’t gonna learn a lesson when this has been his m.o. for years and years

13. Jenny says:

I guess if the media puts enough pressure on him, he’ll opt-out.