Apr

Game Six: Rebound (Update: Rained Out)

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Last night’s loss sucked, there’s no way around it. The bullpen blew a gem of an outing by CC Sabathia and the offense went to sleep after the second inning. But the best part about baseball is that they play everyday, so the Yankees have a chance to put the loss behind them and get back to their winning ways tonight. On the mound is Freddy Garcia, making his debut in pinstripes. Expectations are low, and chances are the Yankees are going to have to score some runs for him while the patch-work bullpen holds whatever lead they’re given, if they’re given one at all. That all assumed the rain that is forecast for this evening holds up.

The Twins counter with former Yankee Carl Pavano. He’s been pretty tough on his former mates since being kicked out of town after 2008, allowing just ten runs in 26.1 innings (3.42 ERA) across four starts. Pavano got his ass kicked pretty good by another AL East team in his first start of the season (eight runs in four innings against the Blue Jays), so let’s hope that trend continues. Here’s the starting nine…

Brett Gardner, LF
Curtis Granderson, CF
Mark Teixeira, 1B
Alex Rodriguez, DH
Robbie Cano, 2B
Nick Swisher, RF
Eric Chavez, 3B
Eduardo Nunez, SS
Gustavo Molina, C

Freddy Garcia, SP

Another 7:05pm ET start, another YES broadcast game. Enjoy.

Update: And we have out first rain delay of 2011. No work on when this one will get underway.

Update Part Deux: The game has officially been postponed. No makeup date has been announced, but this is the Twins only trip to Yankee Stadium this season. If they don’t play a doubleheader tomorrow, at least then they’ll have to come to New York and not the other way around.

So use this as an open thread in the meantime. The Extra Innings package is still in a free preview, so there’s plenty of games on television.

Update Again: The game will be made up at an unspecified date in September according to Kelsie Smith. The two clubs have two common off-days that month: the 8th and 15th. The problem for the Yankees is that those dates bookend a west coast trip, so they’ll lose out on a precious travel day.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Sheepmeister says:

I live in Scranton and its been raining for the past 3 hours with no end in sight. What are the chances they play tonight?

2. booya says:

i love Gaves!

3. bexarama says:

Game’s not starting on time h/t every beat writer on Twitter.

4. Esteban says:

Yea! Barcelona killed it today. Champions League and La Liga titles coming up again this year.

5. JerseyDutch says:

Carl Pavano’s mustache, how I’ve missed you…

6. Last night’s game was rough. Hope that Joba and Colon can hold the fort if Chief Garcia can navigate through six.

7. Update: And we have our first rain delay of 2011. No word on when this one will get underway.

(shakes Magic 8 Ball)

Outlook: not so good.

8. Steve H says:

Photo Caption: One of these things is not like the other.

9. http://sports.espn.go.com/bost.....id=6301581

Awesome. They were made for each other. This is excellent news.

Who’s Liverpool’s EPL rival, so that I can start avidly rooting for them?

10. Across the pond says:

Manchester United.

…who are partners with the Yanks.

11. Teh Comp Pick says:

Love how there is a NYY weather twitter feed. Hate how there is no info.

12. Across the pond says:

Any chance this game starts before 8?

13. YankeesJunkie says:

At least Lincecum is lighting it up for ESPN Baseball Challenge!

14. Kiersten says:

Anyone know if you can stream MLBTV through a Wii?

• YankeesJunkie says:

No, just a PS3.

• Sean C says:

Just ps3. I had it last season and got it for this season. It’s incredibly glitchy though. it jumps around from at-bats earlier in the inning, etc. I dont know if it’s my internet connection (2.5 mbps should be more than adequate) or the software, but it is goddamn frustrating after an hour or so of watching. I end up saying “fuck it” and watch it on the computer. I hope a fix finds its way around here soon.

• YankeesJunkie says:

I am surprised I have heard and experienced that MLB TV on PS3 is much much better. However, if you have the extra cash MLB EI is still the best quality.

• Sean C says:

I couldn’t justify spending $50 a month to watch the Yankees (I don’t make that much money yet, as I am still a year or two removed from college/grad school), so the EI is out. The glitches happen at least once per inning, and I find myself rebooting my (N) router and restarting the PS3 from time to time. This may not be the case for everyone, but it certainly is annoying when “the 8th inning guy” issues several walks while in meltdown mode…

15. Bob Stone says:

Has anyone heard if Mo gave a reason for switching to high stockings this year?

16. JerseyDutch says:

Indians up 2-0 over the Sox in the first.

17. Jenny says:

Over at Pete Abe’s red sox insane asylum they’re screaming “2004!”

It never fails, whenever they start to suck RSN immediately enters a denial phase by screaming “2004!”

18. er says:

Edited by RAB: WTF.

19. jdp says:

Debts also down 2-0.
    thx for stopping the soccer chatter; so boring

20. jdp says:

i hate soccer, too
    but “fags” and foot “ferries”[sic]?
    take it somewhere else

21. Dale Mohorcic says:

Pic looks weirdly like Cano is holding his and Tex’s gold glove.

22. Pinstripes in Cali says:

Good lord, any updates? It’s sunny and 72 degrees in Berkeley, California today and I have no context for your dismal weather (except the rain delays of my youth).

23. James G. says:

So, can someone tell me why we didn’t trade for Dan Haren last year?

• We weren’t willing to give up Montero, which is probably what it would have taken to beat the offer the Angels gave up. A Joba-frontlined package wasn’t going to cut it for the DBacks.

Tyler Skaggs is a legit premium prospect, people. Just because he didn’t have mainstream name recognition yet and was the PBTNL to waggle under the one year ban on trading draftees doesn’t mean the DBacks didn’t prize him as an elite blue chipper. They did.

It’s like the Cliff Lee non-deal. Once the Rangers were willing to part with Smoak, the player the trading team had fallen in love with, the deal became that much harder to trump.

• Exactly. According to (ugh) Heyman, Jack Z liked Smoak much better than Montero. If you know anything about Jack Z, he has a long, deep history in player development and very definitive ideas about these things. So I doubt he would do a Montero-centered package with Smoak on the table, even if the Yanks didn’t back out.

24. Esteban says:

Bill Walker with the staredown. Love that shit.

25. Esteban says:

And the game is postponed.

26. Dave says:

Game is postponed. No Garcia today, thank god.

27. Cy Pettitte says:

“Tonight’s game has been postponed. No makeup date has been announced.”

sucks

28. Sean C says:

One of my good friends is a die-hard Cardinals fan, and he’s in my fantasy baseball league. Pujols is on my team, and he asked me if I’d be willing to trade him for an “austin kearns-type bat because he’ll at least get me a higher OBP right now.” I laughed. At least he has a sense of humor about Pujols’ horrible start. I told him I’m used to it with Tex (whom I don’t want to slow down this month,as he could be on pace to top 40+HR this season and knock on the AL MVP door).

29. YankeesJunkie says:

Rainout, well I will be damned!

30. Sheepmeister says:

So a rainout may just be a blessing in disguise to give our overused bullpen members (soriano and mariano) a day off and just a day of rest in general for the team.

31. Greg G. says:

Any news on how this affects the rotation, if at all?

32. S says:

Mo decided that Soriano deserves another go to destroy the Twins after last nights debacle….so he made it rain, so his set-up guy will have his chance.

33. Kit says:

I hope the guy who both shoved and smacked me with his umbrella while on the extremely cramped 4 is upset. But now I’m also sad there’s no Yankees baseball.

• bexarama says:

That is RUDE.

(Ditto. Though I do think of all days to skip with a rainout, today, with the C-lineup, most of the better relievers not available, and Freddy Garcia starting, is one of the better days to miss.)

• Kit says:

Totally agree about the day being perfect for a rain out. That guy was totally rude though. I was actually impressed by how he like fucked me up there before I got pissed.

• Kiersten says:

Wow, I hadn’t even noticed the awful lineup. Now I’m glad they’re not playing.

34. j-f says:

Damn Pavano keeps finding ways to avoid pitching in New York

35. Kiersten says:

One the one hand, I really wanted to watch the Yankees tonight. On the other hand, that’s one fewer Garcia starts this season.

Anyone know if they should be able to start on time tomorrow? Just checked weather.com and it says AM showers.

36. Kiersten says:

One more question since I haven’t asked enough in this thread.

Anyone know how long the EI preview runs for? I’m gonna be at my cousin’s house on Friday and would like to watch Yankees/Sox on the teevee.

37. swishers fauxhawk says:

Well, at least this gives the bullpen some rest.

38. CMP says:

This may go down as Garcia’s best start of the season.
    Bringing rain every 5th day would be be better than anything we could have hoped for out of him.

39. jorge brosada says:

noooooo.

At least the Sox can make up for it and join the Rays as 0-5

40. JobaWockeeZ says:

Giaradi got saved by the rain.

41. Bob Stone says:

Remind’s me of the poem about the 1948 Braves two aces – Warren Spahn and Jonnie Sain:

In honor of the pitching duo, Boston Post sports editor Gerald V. Hern wrote this poem which the popular media eventually condensed to “Spahn and Sain and Pray for Rain”:[5]

First we’ll use Spahn
    then we’ll use Sain
    Then an off day
    Back will come Spahn
    And followed
    we hope
    by two days of rain.

Later shortened to “Spahn and Sain and two days of rain”.

How about modern day version – Sabbathia and Hughes and pray not to lose.

42. Bob Stone says:

Also shortened to – Spahn and sain and pray for rain.

• DCBX says:

I prefer the mid-70′s Angels version (“Tanana and Ryan and two days of cryin’”) but it’s the same concept.

43. Joe says:

These blackout rules are getting ridiculous. I’m an hour from the Stadium, have DirecTV thru my school, yet ESPN2 was mysteriously gone until the game was postponed. Wow.

44. Monteroisdinero says:

Watching the Sawx having a rough RISP game so far. Also, Rafael Santana looks like a clone of Robbie Cano in the batter’s box. Same habits, stance etc. Pretty amazing.

45. JobaWockeeZ says:

So apparently the MSM has learned patience that starting 0-4 isn’t the end of the world. Funny how two years ago the Yankees were destined to be forever last when starting 0-2 against the Orioles in 2009.

And I am not surprised in any way why?

• Yawn.

Why do you care? The Yanks play in the biggest city, have the biggest payroll, and the biggest stars on their team. Yankee fans whining about the MSM makes me want to pull out the world’s smallest violin.

The Yanks are the big, bad Yanks. Embrace it. We’re the Evil Empire, did you ever hear Darth Vader bitch about his bad pub? Nope, he said “That’s right, I’m the most evil motherfucker in the universe. Suck it.”

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Wrong. The Imperial Board of Propaganda controlled the media and most exclusively the HoloNet so bad publicity couldn’t exist.

Yeah suck it. #extremenerd

• Maybe this will help. It’s the news business. There’s an old axiom of the news biz that goes “a million people going to work and doing nothing wrong isn’t news” it’s the unusual, the thing that seemingly never happens that hits the front pages.

The Yanks winning (who have 27 WS and 40 pennants) isn’t really news. It’s like reporting water is wet. However, the Cubs winning it all would be huge. The Padres would be a good story. The Sox beating the big, bad Yanks is also very news-y. The media is just looking for good stories, and telling everyone how great the Yanks are isn’t really news. Everyone knows that already.

• JerseyDutch says:

We should embrace it. Who wants to be Luke Skywalker? He was a punk.

• I cheered when he got his arm cut off, that whiny bitch. It’s the family business you little spoiled brat! Be evil! Your father was, now its your turn.

You think your Dad likes having to fight traffic to the Death Star and put up with a bunch of fucking incompetent storm Troopers all day long? No, but it’s his fucking job, and he does it to put evil on the table. Grow up you little shit.

• China Joe says:

Well it’s true that no team has ever started 0-4 and won the world series, but it’s also true that no team has ever had 5 ACES, THEO, A-GON, 2004!

46. jorge brosada says:

Sox bullpen about to implode FTW

47. swishers fauxhawk says:

Dennys Reyes relief appearance tonight for the Sox:

0.0 IP, BB, 2 HBP, and 11/12 balls.

48. Greg G. says:

Wow, that was a strange play that gave Cleveland their 4th run.

49. Monteroisdinero says:

Sawx new season record: 157-5

• S says:

You see if they hadn’t traded Casey Kelly they would be 168-0 (because we all know Kelly in a Boston uniform would be so good the MLB has to award the Sawx 6 playoff games automatically)

50. Dela G says:

hahahahhahahaa that was an awesome inning by the sux

51. China Joe says:

I’m sick of people bashing the Red Sox for their record. The greatness of a team is not measured in wins and losses, it’s measured by breathlessly glowing media coverage.

52. S says:

Whats almost as good as watching the Yankees?

Watching Boston get their behinds kicked.

PS

Why did Boston fans think Youk was going to instantly become Adrian Beltre in the hot corner? Did they not think that a position switch wasn’t going to lead to struggles? (I mean Arod had issues when he first moved to 3rd and he was not only at a position far more demanding at SS and probably the most alike to 3rd, he was easily the best defensive SS in the game at the time. )

53. Monteroisdinero says:

O’s to finish 161-1. “Nothing exposes a team’s strengths and weaknesses better than the baseball season.”

/Showalter’d

54. China Joe says:

OK, enough with the Red Sox crap…

Anyone else feeling cautiously optimistic about AJ’s start tomorrow? I thought he looked pretty good last time out (especially if that sinus and throat infection stuff is true.)

• Monteroisdinero says:

I am cautiously optimistic that this will be the year of Good AJ, Good AJ, Bad AJ. We’ll take that.

55. jorge brosada says:

haha I’m going to have a good time listening to the guys on BBTN talking about how doomed the Red Sux are

56. JerseyDutch says:

Nice game, Red Sox. What’s that German word that means taking pleasure in the misfortunes of others? Farfegnugen?

57. Gonzo says:

Anyone know what’s going on at SOSH or other Sawx blogs?

58. Total Dominication says:

0-5!!!

59. This is actually a well-timed rain day. Not only does it bump Freddy way back, it also saves the stretched bullpen.

60. Xstar7 says:

The Red Sox may enter the series against the Yankees 1-5 or 0-6 but don’t count them out. They’ll be on their home field where those gritty gutsy underdog Red Sox and their gritty classy fans will find a way to grind a win over the hated and favored to win it all Yankees. Book it.

61. mbonzo says:

So its good that the game was rained out to skip Garcia’s start… but I was at the game and it wasn’t even really raining. The humidity was ridiculous, but I really think the Yanks had something to do with calling this a rainout, the worst the rain ever got was a drizzle.

62. Jimmy McNulty says:

For the best, bullpen gets a night off. The regulars get a night off and everyone’s fresh for tomorrow’s game.