Apr

Montero hurt in Scranton win

Triple-A Scranton (3-2 win over Syracuse)
Greg Golson, RF: 0 for 4, 2 K
Kevin Russo, 2B, Chris Dickerson, LF, Jordan Parraz, DH & Ramiro Pena, SS: all 0 for 3, 1 K
Jesus Montero, C: 0 for 1, 1 K – left the game after taking a foul ball to his, uh, groin … hopefully he feels better and soon, because holy crap does that suck
Jose Gil, C: 1 for 2, 1 R, 1 K – took over for Montero
Jorge Vazquez, 1B: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 K
Justin Maxwell, CF: 0 for 2, 1 R, 1 K
Brandon Laird, 3B: 1 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 K
Andrew Brackman, RHP: 6 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 9-4 GB/FB – 60 of 98 pitches were strikes (61.2%) … allowed the first three batters of the game to reach (double, homer, walk), then he sat down 18 of the next 23 he faced
Andy Sisco, LHP: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 0-2 GB/FB – half his 16 pitches were strikes
Kevin Whelan, RHP: 1.2 IP, zeroes, 2 K, 3-0 GB/FB – 19 of 23 pitches were strikes (82.6%) … now that’s a save

Double-A Trenton, High-A Tampa, and Low-A Charleston all had scheduled off days. That seems odd, minor league franchise are always looking for ways to maximize attendance and revenue, and yet the league schedules off days on a weekend? Weird. (I’m An Idiot Update: It’s Easter, duh.)

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. squishy jello person says:

It’s Easter ;)

2. Nuke Ladoosh says:

Buona Pasqua

3. YanksfaninBeantown says:

Shit, hopefully this isn’t as bad as Beltre’s incident in 09

4. dela g says:

jesus will be ok. i took a hard foot to my groin once in soccer. couldnt walk right for a day

5. Tank the Frank says:

Damn, they had to help him off the field. That hurts so unbelievably bad. I hope he doesn’t have any serious damage.

• Hurling Darvish says:

I hope not either. I hope he doesn’t miss too much time. I can understand they needed to help him off the field, when it’s happened to me, I definitely couldn’t walk or really move for at least ten minutes, and it hurt bad for about an hour.

It’s not the kind of thing where “walking it off” will work. They oouldn’t let him lie on the field for that long. I don’t if there’s a set rule about it, but after some minutes, the player either plays or has to be replaced.

6. hogsmog says:

And this is why the Son of Mo never had any kids.

7. Tank the Frank says:

I swear to God on the Joe Girardi Show on YES just now, Michael Kay asked Joe if Montero was a “quadruple-A hitter” and if he was worried that he wouldn’t hit major league pitching because of his numbers in Spring Training.

I need to remind myself Michael Kay makes millions of dollars to follow and talk about the Yankees.

• Kay was also advocating both yesterday and today that the Yanks retaliate for the Martin HBP. Because a HR the next AB and a 15-3 beatdown wasn’t enough punishment for one errant pitch.

• Monteroisdinero says:

If Kay bothered to take a 2 hour drive to Scranton once in awhile he would see for himself that Montero is a hitting stud. Do some legwork Mike-I’m sure your wife already wouldn’t mind you not being home as often.

Jesus hit .250 in ST, the same as Russell “Babe” Martin.

• Sabermetrically Challenged says:

he’s not as good looking as prettyboy Martin so he’s not going to get as much respect

• Ted Nelson says:

You can’t tell how someone is going to hit MLB pitching by watching them hit AAA pitching… If you went to watch Matt Weiters or Brandon Wood in AAA, you’d have said the same thing. You have honestly sited Jesus’ batting practice swings as the reason he’ll succeed against MLB pitchers. You’re completely ignoring the pitching.

I’m not saying Jesus doesn’t look like a stud, just that there’s no guarantee. I don’t think it was the worst question for Kay to ask, though also not the best. Could have phrased it a little differently, but I sort of think it was worth asking. Even though of course you know with 99% certainty Girardi is not going to say, “yes he’s a AAAA hitter.” If nothing else it could quell the naysayers.

8. Dicka24 says:

Kevin Whelan fellas. Another great outing. I bet he makes his way to the Bronx before the seasons over.

9. JORGE VAZQUEZ PUTS THE TEAM ON HIS BACK

10. Icebird753 says:

Those are balls of steel. I’m sure he dented that ball

11. Card Shark says:

With Mauer needing to switch positions, and Jesus never being that good behind the plate, maybe not catching would be good for the Yanks.

• jon says:

i have no problem with him being a full time DH/catcher/1b

when jesus is 27 teix will be done with his contract perfect timing to move our savior to a full time 1B

• Ghost says:

The only problem with that suggestion is, there is no regular playing time for him at the moment. Maybe he can squeeze 2-3 games a weeks under that plan. Not really ideal considering the Yankees want Montero to hit everyday while progressing his backstop skills

12. I’m expecting Jesus to be fully recovered in 3 days.

/Easter’d