Apr

Sanchez goes deep on Opening Day

Ryan Pope, Josh Schmidt, Luis Nunez, R.J. Baker, P.J. Pilittere, Jose Ortegano, Mike Gipson, Jeremy Bleich, Alan Horne, David Adams, Grant Duff, and Warner Madrigal are all starting the season on the disabled list according to Mike Ashmore and Josh Norris. First of all, yes Pilittere is back. He signed with the Diamondbacks as a minor league free agent over the winter, but was released in Spring Training and re-signed with the Yankees a few days ago. Secondly, I assume Pope is actually hurt. The organization’s closest to the majors relief prospect (a guy on the 40-man roster, no less) isn’t someone you stick on the phantom DL. Ortegano’s probably hurt too; you don’t claim a guy off waivers and keep him on the 40-man just to stick him on the minor league DL as a place holder.

Anyway, on to the games. As per tradition, here’s the full lineups on Opening Day…

Triple-A Scranton (7-2 loss to Lehigh Valley)
Kevin Russo, 2B: 0 for 5, 3 K, 1 E (fielding) – brutal
Chris Dickerson, CF: 0 for 4, 1 BB, 1 K
Jesus Montero, C: 1 for 4, 2 K – first hit of the season was a line drive to the opposite field
Jorge Vazquez, 1B: 0 for 4, 2 K
Justin Maxwell, LF: 0 for 4, 3 K
Brandon Laird, 3B: 1 for 4, 2 K
Greg Golson, RF: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 BB - solid night amidst a lot of crap
Jordan Parraz, DH: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 1 BB
Ramiro Pena, SS: 1 for 4, 2 K – poor guy is a ninth place hitter even in the minors
David Phelps, RHP: 4.1 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HB, 10-0 GB/FB – 58 of 89 pitches were strikes (65.2%) … not his best night, but at least he got all those grounders
George Kontos: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1-2 GB/FB – 16 of 20 pitches were strikes (80%) … allowed an inherited runner to score
Andy Sisco: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K – 11 of his 20 pitches were strikes (55%)
Amaury Sanit: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2-0 GB/FB – 12 of 20 pitches were strikes (60%) … kinda surprised he’s still around

Double-A Trenton (5-1 win over New Hampshire)
Austin Krum, LF: 2 for 5, 1 K
Jose Pirela, SS: 1 for 4, 1 R, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 E (fielding)
Austin Romine, C: 0 for 3, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K, I E (catcher interference) – he had just four multi-walk games last year
Bradley Suttle, 3B: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 K, 1 HBP – nice AA debut … he was outstanding down the stretch last season
Cody Johnson, DH: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 BB
Melky Mesa, CF: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K – another nice AA debut
Corban Joseph, 2B: 0 for 4, 1 K, 2 E (both throwing)
Addison Maruszak, 1B: 0 for 3, 1 BB, 1 K – so much for the catching experiment, I guess
Ray Kruml, RF: 1 for 4, 1 RBI
Steve Garrison, LHP: 4 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 2-2 GB/FB – he wasn’t properly stretched out in Spring Training, so the short start isn’t surprising
Craig Heyer: 3 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 0 K, 7-1 GB/FB – what a shame, he didn’t walk his first batter until July 15th last season
Tim Norton: 1 IP, zeroes, 3 K – check this guy out
Fernando Hernandez: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 3-0 GB/FB

High-A Tampa (7-5 loss to Lakeland)
Abe Almonte, CF: 1 for 5 – hopefully he stays healthy this year
Carmen Angelini, SS: 0 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 E (throwing) – back from the dead … I’ll have more on him in tomorrow’s mailbag
Rob Lyerly, 3B: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 E (throwing) – might be the streakiest player in the organization
Luke Murton, 1B: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K
Taylor Grote, RF: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI – another guy that needs to stay healthy in 2011
Zoilo Almonte, LF: 1 for 4, 1 SB
Kyle Higashioka, C: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 BB – hopefully he hits a little this year, his defensive skills are legit
DeAngelo Mack, DH: 1 for 4
Walt Ibarra, 2B: 1 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 K
Brett Marshall: 4 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HB, 8-2 GB/FB, 1 E (fielding) – the ground balls are good, but everything else is bad
Michael Solbach: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 2-1 GB/FB
Preston Claiborne: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HB, 0-1 GB/FB
Ronny Marte: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K, 0-1 GB/FB

Low-A Charleston (6-1 win over Lexington)
Slade Heathcott, CF: 1 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K – excited to see what he does this year
Anderson Feliz, 2B: 0 for 4, 1 BB, 1 E (throwing)
J.R. Murphy, DH: 1 for 4, 2 R
Gary Sanchez, C: 2 for 4, 2 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 K – singled in his first full season at-bat … the homer came off a brand name, the 19th overall pick in last year’s draft
Rob Segedin, 3B: 1 for 3, 1 HBP – I’d be surprised if he stayed here all season
Ramon Flores, LF: 1 for 4, 1 RBI
Kelvin DeLeon, RF: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 K – I wonder what Charleston’s all-time strikeout record is…
Kyle Roller, 1B: 2 for 4, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K – he hit cleanup for Short Season Staten Island last year … deferring to the prospects now
Jose Mojica, SS: 0 for 4, 2 K
Shane Greene, RHP: 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 10-2 GB/FB – he’s a little old for the level, I wouldn’t expect him to be here long
Dan Burawa: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 7-0 GB/FB - very nice, but more whiffs please

Can’t believe this is going to be the sixth full year of DotF. Crazy.

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. T-Dubs says:

So. Pumped. Mike

2. C.Roy says:

Was at the Trenton game tonight. Melky Mesa seems to have a great future and Krum looked good in the field. Bummed though because I was expecting ManBan. At least I get to see Betances on Sunday.

3. zs190 says:

It just wouldn’t be DotF without a Carmen Angelini error.

Awesome to see Gary Sanchez continues to mash. He’s probably a one level a year guy being so young but I can’t help but wonder if they will push him aggressively into high A later in the year if he keeps hitting like this.

4. Reggie C. says:

Gary Sanchez is going to put up some fat numbers against Low-A pitching. I’m hoping the professional write-ups on his whole game will be posted online soon.

5. Greg G. says:

NOW it feels like the start of baseball season. :-)

6. Greg Golson's Rocket Arm says:

DoTF, how I have missed you! and how about the great Greg Golson?!

• Monteroisdinero says:

Based on what I see of Swish in RF, would anyone consider Golson to be a better guy to have around to play the 8th and 9th 80 or so times this year as a defensive replacement? Better than Chavez playing every 3 weeks?

• Accent Shallow says:

80 times a year?! Swisher isn’t Manny Ramirez with the glove.

He’s not nearly bad enough to require a full-time defensive caddy.

• Monteroisdinero says:

If I see that guy slide feet first one more time in the OF I can’t help but thinking about having Golson go in-as he did last Sept-every time we are up in the late innings-I’m sure Mo and Soriano wouldn’t mind.

• Pounder says:

Agreed!

7. Mattingly's Love Child says:

With DOTF back all feels good in the world!

8. Nuke Ladoosh says:

Welcome back DOTF. Thanks Mike.

9. Rob NY says:

I can once again sleep soundly. Thanks for the hard work with DoTF. What was Gary Sanchez’s nickname… Machinito? Yeah, guy is a little baseball machine.

10. A.D. says:

Oh Angelini some things never change

11. Brian says:

So glad DOTF is back!

12. Total Dominication says:

If the site started in 07, how is this the 6th year of DOTF?

13. JobaWockeeZ says:

Oh how I missed this.

14. leftylarry says:

If Norton stays healthy, he can end up in NY before the season is over as the long man, when Colon eats himself out of the job..
    Norton has stuff.

• Samuel says:

Norton would be more short than long. Outstanding stuff and a tough mound demeanor, too. Good to see him back as the talk late last season was that his last injury could have been a career ender.

15. Pat D says:

The comment on Kyle Roller is confusing. Don’t you mean he hit cleanup for Staten Island last year?

16. SamVa says:

Thank you dear lord. DOTF, I missed you.

Muchas Gracias Mike.

17. Dela G says:

Good to see DOTF is back

18. vin says:

Beautiful. Thanks Mike.

19. Gonzo says:

C’mon Higgy!

20. China Joe says:

I’m hoping to keep better track of Melky Mesa this year. His big problem is lack of contact, right? Should I be watching for K’s?

• Monteroisdinero says:

I think KLong needs to rework his stance. Melky is a talent.

• leftylarry says:

Klong is ruining Gardner.Jeter already gave up on the no stride stance but Gardner is cowtowed and has lost any semblance of the power he showed when he first came up and could turn on the ball and even hit it out.He’s late on the swing, can’t handle a good fastball and has become a total punch and Judy hitter when he could hit hard line drives before the no stride which IMO won’t work for anybody except very powerfully built hitters.

• V says:

Holy runons Batman and Robin who went to the store to buy some chicken to cook for dinner with a nice chianti and some fava beans before beating up on the Joker and going to defeat the Riddler in that one crappy movie with Mr. Freeze who was played by Arnold Schwarzenegger who just got done being governor of California but wants to get back into doing movies and California now has a different governor who was the governor like 20 years, which was in 1991 which was a completely different era and the year that Nirvana became huge, RIP Kurt Cobain, and spawned a total transformation of the musical landscape which was a lot better than this Lady Gaga GooGoo crap they throw at us now, and poo stinks so please stop throwing crap at me I don’t like it and I think I want to take a shower.

• Monteroisdinero says:

So are we giving up on KLong-the guy that all the players think is great and has supposedly helped Swish/Grandy/Cano/Alex etc?

Have you seen Mesa’s stance? His bat has to do alot of work to get ready before attacking the ball. This makes getting around on the fastball more difficult.

• LeftyLarry says:

Not every program works ofr every player.
            KLONG isn’t coacihng GArdner the wya he coeaches tohugh guys.KLONG is al ittle guy himself like IGrrardi.They’ve made a decision GArdner sohuld be a punch & judy ihtter and GArdner can’t satnd up to them.he could have been a small slahing type player, he was hititng it over Of’ers heads and in between them for inside the PArkers, now they paly him in close and take away his ihts becuase they don’t fear his hititng the ball hard.Won’t work, let him stride and hit 280 with big hits.

21. Salty Buggah says:

Yay, DoTF is back. Life is awesome again.

22. squishy jello person says:

Gary Sanchez, good at baseball

23. YankeesJunkie says:

The season does not really get into full roll with DoTF. Even though Marshall was awful today, I still see him putting up some really good numbers this year. If Mesa makes contact on a consistent basis then watch out because he could be a September call-up. The Sally League better be prepared for the onslaught which is Gary Sanchez, he will win that league’s MVP (the really not so ballsy prediction of the night).

24. Plank says:

I’ve been missing the DotF.

I know photos of Slade Heathcott and his name make it seem like he will have a good baseball career, but I don’t see it. I feel like after this year he will be an org guy and maybe top out as a AAAA guy.

Where are Culver and Flores playing this year? Staten Island?

• Plank says:

I thought they might be aggressive with promoting Flores this year considering how and where he played last year. I’m guessing being 5’10″, 150 lbs is what’s holding him back.

25. Ax is my man in Amsterdam. Love me some DOTF! Charleston is STACKED!!! 6-8 legit prospects in the starting line-up. Don’t sleep on Carmen Angelini either. I know he’s been a joke in recent years, but I still believe. Brett Marshall has been a Billy Preston to the Killer B’s Beatles, but he is poised for a huge year….and Melky Mesa and Abe Almonte will also be poised for big seasons.

The Future? So Bright.

Shades? Got to wear them.

26. Jake H says:

Sanchez is a beast. I wonder if he hits like he did last year if he stays at low A all year.

27. pete says:

Charleston has Sanchez, Heathcott, Feliz, Murphy, and Segedin in the same lineup? That should be a real fun team to follow this year.

28. I am not the droids you're looking for says:

Ahhhhhhh. That’s better.

29. Monteroisdinero says:

Krum and Kruml in the same OF? Lol

And a Melky in the middle!

30. parmesan says:

This is one of the absolute best daily features on the net for Yankees fans. Keep up the good work, Mike, it’s very much appreciated.

• 7commerce says:

I agree w/ LeftyL–Gardner never had a swing to write home about, but his current swing totally eliminates his lower half. An Ichiro style might work better for BG. If not, back to his ’10 stroke.

Oh, welcome back to DoTF

• 7commerce says:

RAB podcast is outstanding–I like the format & the chatty style is reminiscent of conversations I’ve had w/ friends. Y’all know went to stop, too.