Apr

Still no update on Phil Hughes

Via Chad Jennings and Mark Feinsand, the Yankees still don’t have an update on the status of Phil Hughes, who underwent five more hours of medical examination today. They did some blood work and a dye-contrast MRI. The doctor(s) will be in the house later on tonight, and it’s possible they’ll know more then. Jon Heyman said Hughes used words like “tightness,” “soreness,” and “shooting” to describe what he’s feeling in arm. It’s not pain, but the soreness is “lingering.” I’m not a doctor, though I do play one on the internet, and that doesn’t sound good.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. So what you’re saying is he’s dead.

2. Mister Delaware says:

He’s never going to pitch again and its all Cashman’s fault.

3. bakekrukow412 says:

This has got to be a blood clot or aneurysm or something along those lines.

• Mister Delaware says:

If that’s what it was with David Cone, that’s what it must be with Hughes.

• Bob Stone says:

I does sound eerily similar to David Cone’s aneurysm.

As I look back on Hughes injury history, I am getting the feeling that he is potentially the “Nick Johnson” of Yankee pitchers.

4. Jerome S. says:

I still blame society.

5. Snake Plissken says:

JR Richard says Hughes is lazy

6. Kiersten says:

I blame Javy Vazquez.

7. Pastadivingarod says:

I am praying for a pinched nerve

8. zs190 says:

No news is good news, right? right? Already went through panic period on the day that his bullpen was cut short so I’m just going to hope for the best here.

KLaw on his ESPN podcast says that the description of Phil’s symptoms is typical of pitchers suffering shoulder injuries. He’s not a doctor obviously and I hope it’s not a shoulder injury, but usually when it quacks like a duck, look like a duck, it probably is a duck…

9. Snake Plissken says:

Rob Dibble says Hughes needs to “suck it up,kid. This is your profession. You chose to be a baseball player. You can’t have the cavalry come in and save your butt every time you feel a little stiff shoulder, sore elbow.”

• Sam P. says:

What, did Dibble get another job on the radio somewhere?! Haha.

(Very glad to have seen the Nats give him the boot after that one)

• Stratman9652 says:

Unfortunately yes, he is still on the radio. Even worse its on a national scale. He’s on MLB network radio on Sirius XM. Luckily they hide him on the early morning show around 7 in the morning. Ironically, the MLBN radio channel is still light years more intelligent than its TV counterpart.

10. TheLastClown says:

It’s that malignant, pernicious addiction to video games.

11. Chris says:

How can he describe what he’s feeling as “shooting” without pain? It’s shooting tightness? That makes no sense.

• johnny says:

When you put excess pressure on a nerve it can cause accending or decending numbness or tingling…maybe thats what hes describing.

12. Rockdog says:

We’re Doooooooooooomed!!!! Doooooooooooooomed! We can’t even develop any pitchers, we have the worst front office in the history of mankind and we’re sending octogenarian re-treads out to pitch.

Wait, what … we’re in first place? We have a great line up? The bullpen should be solid? We have a great farm system? We can (gasp) trade for another pitcher (or three).

Obviously, not a year where everything is going right for us (like that ever happens), but I am getting a little tired of the panicking trolls.

(I might have spent a little too much tired reading RAB this afternoon).

13. Dr. House MD (degree from webmd.com) says:

Looked up what Hughes is describing he’s feeling, the closest that I could find were bone spurs (this was literally a word for word description of what Hughes has been talking about), tendinitis, or something called pseudogout.

Best case all of them can be dealt with through rest, ice, and tons of rehab even the bone spurs if they aren’t to serious. This takes months so he isn’t going on a mound anytime soon

Worst case: he has surgery

Either way he’s probably done for the year

14. Bob Stone says:

LOL

15. Steve says:

When I think of shooting, I think of pain……..that does not sound good at all. I wonder why he’s feeling pain now all of a sudden when he hasn’t thrown in a couple of days. Maybe a result of being cooped up in MRI tubes and being poked and prodded? That’s what I have to hope for.

• S says:

“shooting” is just a term to associate the spreading of the feeling not necessarily pain, but thats what we commonly link the word to.

16. Epy0n says:

This thread is gold good work RAB posters. So what if Hughes is out lets say what do we do? What does our starting rotation look like once we realize Hughes is not coming back for a while?

17. AndrewYF says:

Maybe Hughes is a gun enthusiast and described ‘shooting’ as how his arm feels after firing a double-barreled shotgun.

18. chris says:

He has dead arm from waving Rangers and Knicks playoff towels at MSG.