May

Chavez’s foot not broken, but he’s still out 2-3 weeks

Via Dan Barbarisi, Eric Chavez‘s injured foot isn’t fractured, he just has a really deep bone bruise. The fracture doctors saw in the x-ray was an old fracture from when Chavez was a kid; apparently he had a condition in which he was born with fractures in both feet and had to wear casts as a child. It sounds weird but it happens, I was born with bone spurs in both my ankles for no apparent reason. I didn’t have to wear casts though. Anyway, no fracture is good news, though Chavez is still 2-3 weeks away from rejoining the team,

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Yank the Frank says:

Poor Eric, you know he is an accident waiting to happen.

2. MikeD says:

This post made me laugh. I mean, the running joke with Chavez is he’s highly injury prone, and you’re telling us he came out of the womb with two fractured feet? Comedy gold, Jerry, comedy gold.

3. icebird753 says:

it must be awesome to be Chavez. Pick up a couple million, play for a tenth of a season, and then go have some good fun. Damn I envy him

• Rookie says:

I would be very surprised if anybody in the world feels WORSE about the injury than Chavez does. And if he lets that feeling — and the reaction of a small number of fans who are upset with him for being injured — make him come back sooner than he should, he’ll be helping no one.

4. Rob Thomsen's Chili Farts says:

Chavez vs. Nick Johnson = Timmy vs. Jimmy

5. Pedro (from Brasil) says:

He was probably to big to born of the nature way. If it was that it’s not unusual to doctors to dislocate shoulders, legs or even break bones so the baby can born…it’s just a guess I have no information!

6. The fracture doctors saw in the x-ray was an old fracture from when Chavez was a kid; apparently he had a condition in which he was born with fractures in both feet and had to wear casts as a child.

This explains so much.

————————-

Doctor Hibbert: I have good news, Eric. You didn’t break your foot, because your foot was already broken. You have a rare condition known as “Eric Chavez Syndrome”.
    Eric Chavez: Oh, WHY ME!?!?!
    Doctor Hibbert: No, it’s actually quite beneficial You see, it’s categorically impossible for you to break a bone in your body, because all the bones in your body are naturally broken. To say you have broken your foot would be a logical redundancy. In fact, the all the non-broken parts of of your body are each surrounded by a thin layer of broken material insulating the deeper, more breakable parts of your body from outside influence. Why, I could literally bash you in the shin all day with this surgical 2×4 and not break your tibia or fibula–anymore than they are already broken, of course.

7. Rookie says:

Here’s hoping that they let his bone bruise fully heal instead of letting him come back early and continually reinjure it and therefore never fully heal and play like ARod’s been playing since returning from his oblique/back injury. Fully healed, I think Chavez has demonstrated that he can be a valuable contributor. Certainly, based on FanGraphs statistics, Chavez would appear to have found the fountain of youth defensively at third base.

• RL says:

Must be the stem cell injections …

8. Rookie says:

I won’t pretend to know the player development and roster spot considerations that they have when they send up one player and not another. But I’m glad they didn’t just take the easy path and send up Betances or Mitchell based on what was best for the major league team’s success in the short run.

Just as I’d rather see them protect their pitcher’s arms even at the cost of losing some games in the short run, I like seeing them prioritize the development of their prospects ahead of the big team’s short-term success. I don’t want to see any more promising young starting pitchers put on the patented Joba/Hughes Path to Major League Starting Pitcher Success.

9. Rookie says: