May

Should of kept

The most important part of being a fan is to constantly second-guess the decisions your team makes. If you don’t belittle your team’s management for every mistake they make, they’re going to think you didn’t notice. And if they think you didn’t notice, then they’re going to pull a Robbie Cano (get lazy) and just assume that you have their back in good times and bad. But that’s not what being a fan’s all about, and that’s why it is so important to let your team know that you’re willing to switch allegiance to another team at the drop of the hat. The Phillies didn’t cheap out on Cliff Lee, maybe I should root for them. The Royals have a lot of prospects, maybe it’s time to get on that bandwagon! And so on. Phillies fan FanSince09′s guide to being a Real Fan at Citizen’s Bank Park has all you need to know on this. The lessons are timeless and teamless, you guys.

In order to assist us all in our quest to become better fans, I’ve assembled a list of all the players the Yankees should of kept over the past decade, and a few they shouldn’t of kept! The links in the player names aren’t just Baseball Reference player pages, they’ll take you to box scores that document how foolhardy the Yankees have been, like evidence on CSI. Be sure to print this list out and take it with you to Yankee Stadium so you can remember all the reasons why you’re booing the team as they squander another game and slide towards last place. In fact, go ahead and make copies to hand out to your fellow box or luxury suite-mates, for a conversation starter over wine coolers and ceviche (5th inning snack). We’ll kick this party off right after the jump. Hope you have some Pepto handy…

Should of kept Melky. One of the best centerfielders in baseball and Cano’s True Friend. The Yankees never appreciated his talent and then they callously threw him away.

Should of kept Wilson Betemit. Wilson is singlehandedly forcing the Royals to consider keeping him over Moustakas. If the Yankees had him as their backup infielder they’d probably be 30-10. Meanwhile, Eric Chavez just shattered his femur on his way to his ballet lesson. Smart call, Cash.

Should of kept Mark Melancon. Heir to Mariano is now the Heir to Lyon. Great. Great.

Should of kept Lance Berkman. He is the leading National League MVP candidate and if the Yankees would of kept him then Pettitte probably would of come back.

Should of kept Austin Jackson. See: should of kept Melky. Jackson is even a bit more athletic and fast than Melky, as athletic and fast as Curtis Granderson or Robbie Cano. Imagine having him at the top of the lineup! Should of kept.

Should of kept Ian Kennedy. Early National League Cy Young favorite while the Yankees trot out Sweaty Freddy and the Junkball every five days. Pardon me while I puke.

Should of gotten a better return for Gary Sheffield. Probably could of gotten Verlander if they had just asked. Now we’ll probably never have Verlander. This is Cliff Lee all over again, you guys.

Should of kept Tyler Clippard. Another Heir to Mariano pitches another team to victory while RafaSori sits on the Disabled List using gold bars for toilet paper. Sick of this.

Should of kept John Axford. Um, 24 saves last year. Need I say more?

Should of traded for Cliff Lee. We’d still be picking confetti out of our hair from the Canyon of Heroes parade if the Yankees would of traded for Lee. Enjoy Nunez, Cashman.

Should of kept Arodys Vizcaino. He’d probably be our 2nd starter right now.

Should of kept Kyle Farnsworth. Best closer in the division.

Should of signed Cliff Lee. Oh no, Yankees, I don’t need a 28th title. I’m just a dumb fan content with 27. Feel free to keep your precious hundreds of millions of dollars while the Phillies lock up the next ten World Series titles.

Should of kept Jose Molina. If the Yankees would of kept Molina they could of traded Montero for Felix and the Yankees would be ten games up on Boston.

Should of kept Johnny Damon. World Series wins since Johnny Damon left: 0.

Should of kept Jerry Hairston, Jr. Everyone remembers the play in the ALCS where Maicer Izturis made that error and Hairston came sliding into home for the walkoff. It was glorious. What they don’t remember is what happened afterwards. Hairston was hanging out with his parents at the World Series parade, just soakin’ it all in, lovin’ life. The fans were chanting “Jerry! Jerry!” and his parents were getting misty-eyed thinking about the sacrifices they made so that Jerry could become a major leaguer. And then Cashman walked right up to him and said, and I quote, “Take a hike, chump”. Jerry sat on the curb and cried for hours. This is the People’s History of the New York Yankees, folks. I’m exposing the dry rot underneath the beautiful facade.

Should of kept Hideki Matsui. World series MVPs owned by designated hitter Hideki Matsui: 1. Number of World Series MVPs owned by designated self-bencher Jorge Posada: 0.

Should of kept Jason Giambi. If the Yankees would of kept da Big G maybe the beat writers would of been nicer to the players this year. Chemistry is important.

Should of kept Randy Choate. Once upon a time Randy Choate was a Yankee. Then with typical disloyalty the Yankees traded him to the Montreal Expos in exchange for, wait for it, Javier Vazquez! Since then the team has never had another good LOOGY, despite spending over $190M in pursuit of one. Had they kept Choate they likely would of had enough money to sign Matt Holliday.

Should of kept Jose Tabata. Most people call Jose “Lil Manny”, after Manny Ramirez. I guess we don’t need the replica of one of the best right-handed hitters of all time on our team, huh. So sick of this, you guys.

Should of kept Sal Fasano. See: Should of kept Jose Molina.

Should never of signed Kei Igawa. Kei Igawa is Japanese for Dice-K.

Should of signed Gerrit Cole. They say everyone has a price. Apparently the Yankees were too cheap to find out what Gerrit’s was.

Should of kept Xavier Nady. Nady’s official nickname is X-Man. The Yankees could use some killer superpower instinct right about now! Should of kept him.

Should of kept Joe Torre. I used to think Clueless Joe was a great nickname for Torre until I met Girardi. Girardi uses a binder with numbers to make decisions instead of considering factors like how long the guy has been with the team and whether he’s friends with the manager. Talk about clueless. Should of kept Torre!

Should of kept Shawn Chacon. Even if Chacon wouldn’t of been good enough to start in the majors right now, he could of been the ace of the Scranton staff. Or are we going to let the IronPigs just run away with the International League title?

Should of traded for Dan Haren. It would be tough to offer the Diamondbacks something better than perpetual winner Joe Saunders, so I admit this one is a bit unfair. We should of traded for Dan Haren, but Cashman should not of been fired for not trading for him.

Should of kept Kerry Wood. Kerry said he only wanted to play in Chicago, but he was just being a class act and not wanting to show up the cheap Yankees. Use, abuse and discard, that’s our motto here in New York.

Should of kept Mike Dunn. If we would of kept all those relievers we never would of had to sign Soriano and we could of drafted Gerrit Cole this year instead!

Should of kept Eric Hinske. Another member of the World Champion Yankees found himself kicked to the curb. Currently hitting .344/.368/.578 for the Atlanta Braves with 4 home runs. If you project that out over 680 plate appearances, which he’ll surely get (Heyward’s bad this year), he’d club 40 home runs. The Yankees have no one on the team capable of hitting 40 home runs. That’s just statistics.

Should of kept Dustin Moseley. 3.40 ERA in 2011. ‘Nuff said.

Should of kept Sergio Mitre. 1.96 ERA in 2011. ‘NUFF SAID.

Should of kept Alberto Gonzalez. You may be saying, “Hey, this guy hasn’t done much since he left the Yankees. Should they really of kept him?” If you thought this, slap yourself. You’ve only revealed your ignorance about scouting and player evaluation. I’ll let you in on the insider’s game. I had a National League scout describe Gonzalez to me as a guy “with the bat of a Hanley Ramirez but the glove of a Jose Iglesias”. Does this sound like a player the Yankees might need? Looking at you, Jeter.

Should of kept Shelley Duncan. He played like a gamer, he hit like a masher and he was all-out 100% grit all the time. Not at all lazy, knew how to hustle, and he played the game the right way. No surprise that a first-place team picked him up.

Should of kept Jose Contreras. Contreras is on the DL right now, but he was the closer for the Phillies before he got hurt. If he’s good enough to close for Cliff Lee then he’s sure as heck good enough to be in the Yankees bullpen. But I don’t make the calls, you guys. You don’t see me repelling down buildings and alienating Cliff Lee.

Should of kept Shane Spencer. Here’s a guy hittin’ 3 grand slams in a single month. I like to call him the Grand Shalami. You don’t think the Yanks could of used a guy like that last night against Dickey? Don’t make me laugh. Should of kept the Grand Shalami.

Should of kept Bobby Abreu. Abreu has over 100 RBIs 8 times in his career. He would singlehandedly solve our RISP problem.

Should of kept Aaron Small. All this guy did was win. Maybe if he was still around he could teach the pitching staff (cough CC cough) how to motivate the team to play better behind them so they could get wins like he did. 10-0!

Should of kept Alfredo “Just call me Ace” Aceves. Another ten game winner, another guy finding himself filing for unemployment and panhandling for money to feed his kids after the Yankees decided he wasn’t worth anything. He pitches for the Red Sox today, and if he does well then the Yankees really should of kept him.

Should of kept Ross Ohlendorf. He’s a Princeton grad. He could of learned AJ a thing or two about baseball IQ! It’s so obvious it makes me sick.

Should of kept Phil Coke. Hi, Phil. Thanks for winning us that World Series. As a gesture of appreciation we are sending you on a permanent vacation to the lovely hamlet of Detroit! Hope you like industrial blight, foreclosed homes and Eminem.

Should of kept Edwar Ramirez. The guy cried when he gave up a grand slam to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. The last time RafaSori cried was when they ran out of gold diapers at day care.

Should of kept Ruben Rivera and should of kept Juan Rivera. I’m not saying the Yankees should of kept Ruben or Juan over Mariano, but I do think closers are easier to find than All-Star outfielders. Just sayin’.

Should not of signed Pedro Feliciano. Signing an abused reliever, Brian? Talk about taking your support of the Safe at Home Foundation a step too far.

Should of signed LeBron James. In Empire State of Mind, the New York rapper Jay-Z lays down this sick beat: “If Jeezy’s paying LeBron I’m paying Dwyane Wde”. Pretty awesome, right? Little did Jay-Z realize that Jeezy is none other than the Boston Liverpool Patriot Red Sox Bruins. I guess we’ll HAVE to pay Dwayne Wade now, but the Yanks will probably cheap out again and sign Manu Ginobli instead. So typical, you guys. So sick of this. I’m done.

Categories : Whimsy

1. Brian says:

Should’ve used “Should’ve” instead of the incorrect “Should Of”

2. Evil Dave says:

I get it but this is still one of the worst posts to appear on this site.

3. Eric says:

Glad to get that off your chest Stephen?

4. Esteban says:

Maybe my favorite post ever at RAB. Bravo.

• Esteban says:

And I think the breakdown of who does and doesn’t like this post will be telling.

• radnom says:

Nah, I get the joke but still think this was pretty terrible.

That being said, I’m not one to complain about free content. I just have an issue with your implication that the only ones not to like this will be those who are the brunt of the joke. I just don’t think it is funny or original in the least – its basically a compilation of the same tired memes I’ve seen 100 times before.

• Esteban says:

Sure, you got the joke and didn’t think it was funny, but look at the rest of the comments. Your reason for not liking the post seem to be the outlier. I thought it was very funny, though just a little too long.

• radnom says:

Actually I see a pretty decent amount of people on both sides in the ‘didn’t like it’ camp.

• Esteban says:

Really? I see lots of people criticizing the grammar and not much else. Other people may not have said why they didn’t like it, but for people like dalelama, I assume they don’t get it, because of their history on this site.

5. I should of been true friends with Stephen before this post.

6. bexarama says:

Should of kept Javy Vazquez and moved the team to Idaho or something. Everyone knows Javy has New Yorkitis. I mean, just look how well he’s doing in Florida, where no one shows up to the games.

7. Yanks27 says:

I’ve been reading RAB for 2 years now. This is the biggest bunch of hog wash.

8. J Will says:

Honestly, I didn’t even read the article because I couldn’t get beyond the title…

9. This is yet another example of the deplorable job the weekend writers have done researching and writing articles for this formerly excellent website.

How could an individual who claims to be a Yankee fan forget about Jose Veras? Don’t even begin to tell me about his 6.8 K/9 and 1.0 K/BB in 2007. All that matters now is 2011, and in 2011 he has a 13.3 K/9 and a 3.86 K/BB. In his first 15.2 IP in 2011, he had a 14.6 K/9 and a 5.75 K/BB.

Once again, the weekend writers (and Brian Cashman) demonstrate their ineptitude. Should of kept Veras.

10. EndWeekendWriters says:

I can’t believe these weekend writers are allowed to write for this blog. I never comment on RAB but I have been reading for years, the articles posted by the part time writers are beyond terrible. It is taking up space and is insulting to my intelligence.

11. Shouldn’t of taken yourselves so seriously.

12. David says:

We should of never let Don Mattingly retire on that trumped up exuse that his back hurt. Whaa whaa whaaa… That skinny P-toad would have sucked it up for another hundred million dollars for a three year contract.
    And don’t get me started on that Blue Man group……

13. Rich Aurilia says:

Should of fired Stephen Rhoads before this blog went down the toilet.

14. Hey, what the hell does “whimsy” mean anyway?

15. Salty Buggah says:

I kind’ve think Cashman should of raptured us before this post went live.

16. Zack says:

It’s funny cause people actually now claimed they should have kept Thames/Mosely/etc

17. Should of written this post on oaktag.

/bringing it back

18. thumper says:

As much as Fat Elvis has been tearing the cover off the ball in St. Louis with his offensive resurgence, he’s trading a lot of that value back with the wild adventures of him in the outfield. shocker

• pat says:

Am I the only one eho remembers that the only reason that he went to NYY was they promised not to resign/pick up option?

19. Sam says:

Should of fired weekend writers by now. Should of had Cliff Lee do it.

20. Xstar7 says:

I see the point you’re getting across. But when fans go out on a limb and say batshit crazy things like that (usually during frustrating losses) it’s because they’re upset that their favorite team isn’t playing up to their ridiculously high standards. People say and do crazy things when they’re pissed or upset. So when you see a comment on a game thread like “FIRE GIRARDI THAT BRACEFACED BINDER-BOY!” or “GRANDERSON SUCKS ASS WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT THAT RISING SUPERSTAR AUSTIN JACKSON!”, it just shows that they care.

• Sam says:

I believe you mean “GRANDERSON SUCKS ASS WE SHOULD OF KEPT THAT RISING SUPERSTAR AUSTIN JACKSON”

• Esteban says:

Not making outlandish statements doesn’t mean you don’t care.

• Xstar7 says:

I never said it didn’t. Some people are just irrational.

• Esteban says:

And then I (someone who cares very much about the Yankees) can criticize the hell out of those irrational people for their outlandish. RAB is great because it mostly does a good job of keeping those irrational people away, or at least explaining to those people why their irrational opinions are irrational. Game threads are mostly a lost cause at this point though.

• Pat D says:

I can’t see the game tonight since I live in PA and the Phillies are on (Fuck you, Fox, for doing this to me on one of my two days off!), so I think I’m not going to pay attention to the game thread.

I think this might be a good thing, particularly if they are losing or not hitting or just not doing anything specifically good at any point in the game.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

How hard is it to ignore these people especially if they piss you off so much?

Sure respond to the occasional one but every comment must be responded even though it’s a ‘lost cause.’

Save the bandwidth.

• Pat D says:

And quite frankly, making this outlandish statements isn’t just a sign that someone cares. It’s also a sign that they can’t keep their emotions in check or they are frantic for acceptance of their irrational outbursts.

• bexarama says:

Only True Friends of the Yankees say incredibly dumb overreacting shit to absolutely everything.

21. Pat D says:

I know it’s in jest, but the constant “should of” just grinds my gears too much.

22. Alex says:

I thought this was serious and was about to get pissed this garbage was on this site but then I read the following and I knew it was a joke. Or the writer was drunk or on acid.

Should of kept Tyler Clippard. Another Heir to Mariano pitches another team to victory while RafaSori sits on the Disabled List using gold bars for toilet paper. Sick of this.

Should of kept Alberto Gonzalez. You may be saying, “Hey, this guy hasn’t done much since he left the Yankees. Should they really of kept him?” If you thought this, slap yourself. You’ve only revealed your ignorance about scouting and player evaluation. I’ll let you in on the insider’s game. I had a National League scout describe Gonzalez to me as a guy “with the bat of a Hanley Ramirez but the glove of a Jose Iglesias”. Does this sound like a player the Yankees might need? Looking at you, Jeter.

I saw that and thought Nuff said lmao. Good stuff. Some of you need to relax and read the jokes.

Now if this guy was serious I would be flipping out but for now I got a good laugh especially in the comment section.

23. iloveyoubartolo says:

Should of kept Zach Mcallister.

24. Johnny Truant says:

Should of kept Miguel Cairo. He wouldnt be making errors like Cano. He’s hitting .275 right now, you guys. You cant argue with that kind of talent.

25. Conor says:

What is the point of trolling on this website?

26. Stevie V says:

Another Cashman/Yankee apologist, sarcasm in the article or not. More garbage from this blog.

• You should of stayed on WasWatching.

• How horrible that you were forced to read it and pay for it.

• radnom says:

I’m sure you take the same stance when people endlessly complain about ESPN and other MSM internet articles?

• radnom says:

btw, I think its acceptable to criticize both.

You put something on the internet, you open yourself up for commentary. Don’t like that? Don’t publish it.

• I actually agree with you on that. I think its fine to criticize the content even if you didn’t pay for it. Putting something on the internet is an open invitation to get criticized. And I’m fine w/ criticism provided its on target and not a misreading of what’s being said (99% of critical comments on this thread). FWIW, I think your criticism (that it’s a tired meme) is fine. I mean, Ive never read someone complain that we should of kept Ruben Rivera over Mariano Rivera, but I could see how someone wouldn’t like it. Different strokes, and all that.

• radnom says:

Thats actually the crux of my complain. Its so completely absurd its not even parodying the thought process what a crazy would say. I’m unable to get a cheap laugh from that.

But anyway, I don’t mean to beat down on this article, it just wasn’t my cup of tea. Thanks for writing, hopefully I’ll enjoy the next one a bit more.

• BigDavey88 says:

OUR SEASON IS RUINED! RUINED I TELL YOU!

27. The209 says:

I like this post because it reminds me that RAB commenters are more knowledgeable about baseball — and grammar — than other blogs.

28. John says:

English is my second language and I honestly cannot believe one can seriously think “should of” is grammatically correct. It just doesn’t make any sense when you think of it.

• Pat D says:

Too many Americans still use the “sound it out” method that you’re taught in like kindergarten.

• John says:

Why do they even teach that method?

• Pat D says:

Well, it helps when you’re about 5-6 years old and you still have a developing brain. I always thought of it as the first way of teaching you to use your brain to store and recall information.

But a lot of people still use it in adulthood. Which is a fair comment on our education system.

• Pasqua says:

It’s not really a comment on the education system. Spelling is spelling, and spelling is taught. If people choose to “sound it out,” it’s because they may actually be very bad spellers (which can be a function of the way their brain works) or are simply lazy.

Not trying to be preachy, but I’m a teacher and am overly sensitive to everyone’s shortcomings being blamed on their education. I’ll get off of my soap box now.

• Because decoding a word is necessary before just knowing it. Did you know every word the first time you saw it?

• Slugger27 says:

virtually everyone i know says “for all intensive purposes” … that’s the worst

29. Paul says:

“Should’ve” never read this…..some choices work, some don’t, but Cash is far ahead on the positive side…

30. Kiersten says:

The worst part about being a copy editor is when things like “should of” literally make you cringe. But apparently it’s not just me, so maybe it’s a people-who-know-correct-English thing and not a copy editor thing.

I would like to read this article but I don’t think I can.

31. Uncle Mike says:

Wow. I’ll give you that Matsui or Damon, and Berkman and Moseley, should have been kept. Maybe also Clippard. But a lot of these are so far off they might as well be in Stamford.

Cliff Lee is a mediocre pitcher. Yes, he is: He’s barely over .500 the last 2 seasons, and he was smacked in last year’s World Series. Melky is not better than Granderson, and neither is Austin Jackson. Giambi is finished. Randy Choate is called Randy Choke for a reason. Phil Coke is not it, and never was. Chacon was a one-year wonder. Betemit is starting in Kansas City for one reason: Because he can. Kennedy was never going to make it here. Axford was 24 and had yet to reach the majors when the Yanks let him go, so that seemed like a good idea at the time. And, above all, Kyle Farnsworth sucks. He has no control and he’s a lousy teammate.

When you’re losing to scrub-deserving teams like the Mutts and the Deviled Eggs, thoughts like this come up. Then you think again and realize that this is the way Mutts fans think because they just saw David Wright get hurt again and Luis Castillo make another error and Carlos Beltran take a called third strike. We are Yankee Fans, and we are better than this.

32. Birchington Birch says:

Brilliant, should of written this my self. Still, glad I got a read it. Gotta feeling this post will be remembered for alot of years.

33. first time lawng time says:

1. I don’t understand why people are so rude to the weekend writers. They work hard and should get credit. If you don’t like the post, don’t read it.

2. I personally hate it when people have poor grammar, but people, it’s a blog site not an English paper. Sheesh, lighten up. It’s not like it makes the article harder to understand.

3. I liked the post. I thought it was funny. Nice job.

• Slugger27 says:

the sad thing is, if RAB just kept the weekend writers’ articles and just changed the auther to mike or joe, nobody would ever say anything. it would just be like any other blog post.

they couldve kept everything the exact same except changing “should of” with “should’ve” and changing the auther name to mike axisa and everyone would be laughing about how awesome/funny it was.

• This is the smartest thing I’ve heard anyone say about anything.

• safe at home says:

Its true. The placebo effect.

• The209 says:

really? very narcissistic

• Slugger27 says:

it is what it is, man.

• Pasqua says:

That’s not even close to narcissistic. It does not require much study of this site to see that the readers of RAB defer to the Big Three in all things because they are knowledgable and thorough. That Mike, Joe and Ben are aware of this simply means they pay attention to what we say.

• I repeat the same question: really? I’ve written plenty of things that are far worse than this, and I can’t remember getting this level of shit in a comments section. Hell, even my “Pettitte is only one win better than Mitre” post wasn’t the target of so much vitriol. That is to say, I think I’ve swung and missed plenty lately and haven’t been criticized too roundly. I also think this is a more solid hit than probably my last three weeks’ worth of work (which you can take as praise for this, skepticism of my own work, or a discrediting of my judgment, whichever you wish).

34. BigDavey88 says:

Thank you Stephen. For your tireless efforts I am now mildly amused.

Many thanks.

• Haha, no problem! It was fun to write :) Made me real upset, lotta anger, lotta recrimination, lotta should of could ofs. But its important to hate your favorite team, I gotta do my part.

35. FIPster Doofus says:

“They should of never gave you ******* money.”-Rick James

36. Charles says:

What was the point of this? Reading the list there was no way the Yanks could know that 2/3 of those players we’re going to be good/turn it around/or suck in the Bronx.

37. matt says:

fuck you

38. first time lawng time says:

Okay are these comments serious?

If they are, then that is so rude.

People need to get over themselves and stop acting like they are so qualified to make judgments on what is a good blog and what is a bad blog.

I doubt any of these people criticizing the weekend writers could write an article that is just as good, if not better.

• Slugger27 says:

you know what the ironic thing is? the blog isnt what it used to be (and i visit it significantly less than i used to) because of the commenters, not the authors.

i have a diehard sox fan that made fun of me for visiting this blog. he started trolling for fun under the handle bertha, and after a few weeks, finally quit. the reason? he was actively trying to get under peoples skin and STILL couldnt get the reaction he was looking for, mainly because there were so many others saying similar things to him, that he honestly was having trouble standing out. thats how bad game threads have gotten…

• bexarama says:

Bertha was also the most amazingly obvious troll ever. I mean, even for trolls.

• Slugger27 says:

he’s not really an internet guy, which is why he always made fun of me for being on the blog. he couldve been more subtle.

also, he picked the name because he thought “it sounded like a fat chick”, which it kinda did.

• first time lawng time says:

Haha

I remember Bertha!! From the end of last season, right?

Yeah, people get a little testy when the Yankees lose. I used to, but I’ve changed since.

• Xstar7 says:

I remember Big Bertha. Although there are some ridiculously overzealous and grammatically incorrect commenters (special kid for example), they usually only show up during game threads. The only positive thing about this is that it is amusing to disprove their silly theories and bash their overreactions and predictions on what they think is going to happen to the Yankees in the future based on a couple days worth of baseball.

• first time lawng time says:

I sometimes think those people do it on purpose, because they know people here will react to them.

Sometimes, it’s better to just ignore those people.

• Slugger27 says:

see, that’s exactly what my buddy WANTED you to do. and to his defense, people did just that…. for a while….

then his comments started sounding similar to other game thread comments, and it was becoming harder and harder to differentiate himself. he’s too lazy to do it during the week when there’s regular articles, so he just stopped altogether.

my original point was at how sad it is that he was TRYING to troll, and because of the downturn in the comment threads here over the years, he actually was unable to.

• first time lawng time says:

One of my favorite comments:

39. matt says:

just kidding this was actually a great article i thought

40. matt says:

i agree

41. Andrew says:

Should of kept all these indignant commenters away from the internet before this post ruined their Saturday.

42. safe at home says:

I thought it was funny!

I like all the tools that got offended by the “should of” use.
    The essay is a joke, and if you have been following the team and did not see through this you are an idiot, sorry.

43. Marc says:

I read about 2/3 of this article before I questioned “who wrote this crap?!” I know it is a satire, yet it sucks. This article attempts to be humorous, yet clearly lacks the funny.

44. Should of called up Jesus to save us all from the rapture!

45. Mike r says:

Wayyyy too many haters on RAB now-a-days.. Nice article man, I thought it was a good read. Never seen you write on here before. Regardless of grammar I thought it was funny. Keep up the good work bro.

46. Toasty says:

I love RAB and have been reading for several years…however lately it seems that there have been more and more “reactionary” articles to the commentors.

I take no issue with grammar but I feel like this post in particular was unnecessary. I always enjoy the content but personally I would rather read analysis than a glorified jab at the readers of the site.

47. Icebird753 says:

No offense, but this article wasn’t funny and just sucked. Ah, that feels good to say that

Sincerely,
    Reality

48. T-Dubs says:

Should of kept the other weekend writers. Stephen MR is just a poor man’s PPinstripes. No DJ ALigator mentions anywhere. Poor post. I want a refund. Free blogs are annoying. Mud. Ponytails.

49. Bucket Cock says:

I totally fucking agree with T-Dubs. No DJ = No esta bien

50. Jaremy says:

Best post of the year.

51. Tom Gaffney says:

That was pretty effing funny. One of the hardest things to do on a sports blog is humor and I give credit to anyone who puts themselves out there. It’s a lot safer to throw a ton of stats and acronyms at people. I give extra credit for insulting half your audience with the joke. That takes guts. The piece really needs to be taken as a collaboration with the clueless comments. My irony meter nearly exploded. The only thing i “might of” suggested is a little editing. I thought it ran long, though also ironic that the dead horse is beaten on Preakness Day. Keep writing the funnies, dude.

52. special kid says:

didnt read this crap

53. HyShai says:

“Should of kept Shane Spencer. Here’s a guy hittin’ 3 grand slams in a single month.”
    Wasn’t it in a aingle WEEK?

54. Meat Loaf says:

If you thought this article was crap and had the audacity to say so in this thread with the lack of tact I would expect from a drunk Red Sox fan, punch yourself in the face.

Was this article my cup of tea? Nah. Nothing personal, I just didn’t care for it. Does that mean that I am going to hurl profanities at Mr. Rhoads? No.

The total lack of respect for a guy who put time and effort into his work is absolutely mind boggling. If you don’t like the article, at least have the comment decency to disagree with a point instead of insulting someone. Disliking something and disrespecting someone are two totally different ballfields.

And for the record, I’m a high school English teacher. If I let one grammatical error in my students’ papers derail me from appreciating a work, I would have exactly 0 papers that I would have enjoyed. It was a grammatical mistake, get over yourselves and move on. It’s the internet for Christ’s sake.

I would expect way, way better from the folks around here.

Stephen (and the other weekend writers), keep up the great work.

• Thanks. And just for the record now that the furor has subsided: I know the difference between should of and should have. It was an intentional “mistake”. That’s part of the joke, a joke I’m borrowing from FanSince09, which you can see on his Twitter page or in that article I linked above.

55. Ryan says:

I think people like to give Stephen shit because he cannot really handle negative criticism and gets very defensive. People just like getting a rise out of him.

• Heh. I dont mind criticism at all, provided its for something real and not calling me an idiot for using “of” rather than “have. See my reply to radnom a ways up.

• Tom Gaffney says:

Dude, read these comments again. Most were not trying to get a rise out of anything, they were just completely, utterly clueless and ignorant.

56. shouldof says:

should of not been uptight about an obviously intentional grammar “mistake.”