May

Soriano unavailable until (at least) Wednesday

Via Brian Costello, Rafael Soriano‘s balky elbow will keep him on the shelf until at least Wednesday. He was unavailable both tonight and last night, and he’ll test it out in a bullpen session tomorrow. The Yankees are already carrying a 13-man pitching staff, they’re probably better off just sticking him on the disabled list and making sure he’s fully healthy before coming back. The guy’s elbow has been cut open twice already, no need to push it.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Mister Delaware says:

OH MY GOD HE’S TOTALLY AFRAID TO PITCH AGAINST HIS OLD TEAM HE SUCKS AND SO DO THE YANKEES AND EVERYONE AND I’D PLAY THIS GAME FOR FREE BUT HE WANTED TO GET $35 MILLION WHAT A JOKE LOL EXCEPT I’M NOT REALLY LAUGHING BECAUSE I’M MAD AS DEMONSTRATED BY MY ALL CAPS APPROACH TO POSTING!!!

• Xstar7 says:

you just broke rule #7

• AND I’D PLAY THIS GAME FOR FREE BUT HE WANTED TO GET $35 MILLION WHAT A JOKE LOL

This is by far one of the dumbest things that people actually say.

Do you know why you, miscellaneous angry Yankee fan, would play for the Yankees for free? Because you suck at baseball, that’s why. Players who don’t suck at baseball wouldn’t play for free, because they know that what they do is rare (as evidenced by the fact that the team owners make billions of dollars putting on the games) and not everybody else can do it and they deserve to be compensated millions for it.

Many people paint pictures for free. Good painters paint pictures and then charge money for them, because they’re good.

You play for the Yankees for free? Congratulations. Nobody gives a shit, you suck.

(Not you, obviously, I know you’re making a point.)

2. 101010 says:

Hopefully he’s doing something remotely useful. Like shining Mo’s shoes.

3. bonestock94 says:

Quit beating around the bush, get him TJ surgery so he’ll be ready in time for the 2013 season.

4. Larry Rothchild's Yamika says:

Randy Levine says “I signed the guy I am brilliant cash. I am saving the bullpen, see I can play GM.”

George from the grave “Randy you idiot!”

5. special kid says:

the empire is crumbling……

6. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Soriano? Who’s Soriano?

7. Gonzo says:

When it rains it pours. Someone postpone Hughes’ next session before something else bad happens.

8. BigBlueAL says:

I forgot he was on the team.

9. Xstar7 says:

Rafael Soriano? Not as good as Alphonso Soriano.

10. Rookie says:

Amen, Mike. Amen. It makes no sense to think about pitching Soriano until he’s 100% healed and then some. And it makes no sense to use up a roster spot on him if they’re going to do the right thing and not use him.

I feel the same way about Cano. I know he hit a home run in his first game back after being beaned. But his repeated errors in the field make me suspect that he has a mild concussion. And if concussions aren’t allowed to fully heal, they can become chronic — even career threatening.

And I don’t know how long ARod is going to have to produce at a .550± OPS before Girardi tries taking him out of the lineup to see if a couple of weeks on the DL won’t fix whatever it is that ails him. I know that Nunez has been awful in the field and that ARod, for the most part at least, has been awesome. But Nunez could probably produce a similar net WAR as ARod has since coming back from his oblique injury.

If they don’t get ARod straightened out and if Jeter is very rarely able to get the ball out of the infield, I suspect the Yankees are going to have a VERY hard time making it to the post season even if Posada finds his groove or is replaced in the lineup by someone who can produce an OPS with an 8 or better as the first digit.

• Monteroisdinero says:

Remember when Soriano did not want to pitch against AL east in ST? Guy is a headcase/prima donna. I’m hoping for the best but expecting the worst with him.

Time for Whelan.

11. Larry Rothchild's Yarmulke says:

At least Alfonso stayed healthy.

12. ADam says:

Who cares.. this guy is useless… awesome, thanks randy, we have a 12 million dollar 4th RH arm out of the bullpen

13. dennis says:

Player opt out FTW. He will be around for a long time doing nothing but stinking it up and being hurt. This is what happens when horse experts think they know baseball.