May

Yankees recall Amaury Sanit, send down Ramiro Pena, DFA Jess Todd

Update (6:08pm): Via Brian Costello and Mark Feinsand, Ramiro Pena was optioned to Triple-A and Jess Todd was designated for assignment. We hardly knew ye, Jess. Pena can’t be recalled for ten days, dems the rules, so the Yankees will either have a three-man bench for the next week and a half or they’re going to call up Kevin Russo (who would have to be re-added to the 40-man roster) or Brandon Laird sometime soon. I’m guessing it’s the former.

Original Post (4:30pm): Via Joel Sherman and Donnie Collins, the Yankees are calling Amaury Sanit up from Triple-A Scranton to reinforce a taxed bullpen. Both 25-man and 40-man rosters moves will be required to accommodate Sanit, though both could by accomplished by designating Buddy Carlyle for assignment. They could always option someone and slide Phil Hughes to the 60-day disabled list as well.

Sanit, 31, is pretty terrible. His 24-6 K/BB in 16.1 IP is very nice, but he’s extremely hittable (10.4 H/9 over the last two years) and works with fringy stuff. Sanit did make a few spot starts in the minors this year and is probably good for 60 pitches if needed, but his call up is almost assuredly a temporary measure. Don’t be surprised if they run him into the ground if there’s a blowout tonight, then cut him tomorrow and replace him with someone else.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. I eagerly await Sanit pitching a meaningless 9th inning tonight in the midst of our 10-2 blowout win where Sanit gives up a meaningless run and everyone bitches and moans about Girardi putting in this scrub who has no business anywhere near a mound for the Yankees.

2. Cy Pettitte says:

oh thank god, I can finally bust out my custom Sanit shirsey

3. Monteroisdinero says:

I’m Whelan over this move…

4. He’ll be a pirate by next week.

5. Drew says:

Didn’t we just call up Ayala? Lance Pendelton couldn’t do this? Seems like an unessassry move to me.

6. Naved says:

Bring up Andrew Brackman

7. FernandoP says:

Ugh, why not just bring up Todd? Was he not added to the 40-man when Russo was DFA? If we are looking for LH pitchers, then try the Mets Byrdak or Dodger’s Sherrill. Both guys have impressive marks versus LH batters, unlike Randy Flores who was mentioned in the NY papers as a possibility.

8. psk says:

Mike- Is Silva destined for this roster spot after a few more minor league starts?

9. Francis says:

Prepare for the “that’s Amaury!” puns by Kay if he pitches tonight.

• Pat D says:

Once upon a time I worked at the Olive Garden.

I still have flashbacks to hearing that song waaaaaay too often.

10. MikeD says:

I love it when players I’ve never heard of suddenly are called up and given when of the gold 40-man roster spots!

Amaury Sanit? That’s not even a real name. Axisa is just messin’ with our heads. It’s April Fool’s, right? No, that was last month. Okay, Amaury Sanit it is. For the record, I didn’t think Buddy Carlyle was a real, living pitcher either. He is real, and he is living. Still not sure about the pitcher part.

Seriously, I think the Yankees have now established one open roster slot where they will continually rotate different bullpen bodies into it. It’s sort of exciting and depressing for the Buddy Carlyle’s and Amaury Sanit’s of the world. They’re making the MLB club, only to know they are the next day’s potential DFA victim.

• Amaury Sanit? That’s not even a real name.

Peter Griffin: Hey, what’s your friend’s name?
      Al Gore: Dick Armey.
      Peter Griffin: [laughs] No, seriously, what’s his name?
      Al Gore: [beat] … Dick Armey.
      Peter Griffin: [bursts out laughing]
      Al Gore: [laughs] Oh, oh, I just got that.
      Peter Griffin: Hey, Armey, what’s your wife’s name, Vagina Coastguard? [continues to laugh]

11. J.R. says:

And the Scranton shuttle is gearing up for regular trips…

12. J.R. says:

Didnt he get suspended for 50 games last season for PED’s?

13. CMP says:

Carlyle, Sanit, Ayala, Pendleton???

I guess $200 million doesn’t go as far as it used to.

14. Kei Igawa says:

Even I know Sanit is terrible. At least I wear cool glasses when I pitch.

15. CMP says:

Tony Pena looks pretty good throwing BP and seems to have a rubber arm. Let’s activiate him for the last man out of the pen role.

16. Coolerking101 says:

Why did they let Whelan pitch today if the Yanks new they were going to make a move? The guy hadn’t pitched in 3 days. Also, why let Sisco pitch back-to-back days (yesterday and today)?

Someone in Yankee personnel needs to get their head out of their @ss.

17. Dr. O says:

I love this move. I faced a similar predicament for dinner tonight. I picked up a couple burritos from Taco Bell on my way home but inexplicably threw them in the garbage because at the time I was not actually hungry. Then I realized I COULD get hungry and need food, so I have prepared a dinner choice full of dishes that I do not like to eat at all and praying to Mo that I don’t have to eat it.

18. Rookie says:

Originally posted in the wrong thread:

I won’t pretend to know the player development and roster spot considerations that they have when they send up one player and not another. But I’m glad they didn’t just take the easy path and send up Betances or Mitchell based on what was best for the major league team’s success in the short run.

Just as I’d rather see them protect their pitcher’s arms even at the cost of losing some games in the short run, I like seeing them prioritize the development of their prospects ahead of the big team’s short-term success. I don’t want to see any more promising young starting pitchers put on the patented Joba/Hughes Path to Major League Starting Pitcher Success.

19. J.R. says:

They can’t be worried about Cano at all if they were only carrying one backup infielder.

• Urban says:

Do they even have a back-up infielder for today’s game? They sent Pena down, but they’re also playing Nunez and DHing Jeter. If Nunez were to be injured, I think they’d have to move Jeter to short and then lost the DH for today. Same with Cano. If he went down, they’d have to shift Nunez to second, and then move Jeter from DH to short, losing the DH. Based on that, interesting that they decided to play Nunez in today’s game.

20. M-Three says:

Hmm… lets see, now we are wasting 3 rosters in the bullpen: Sanit, Ayala and Carlyle or as I call them S.A.C. 3 guys who nothing more than career scrubs and can’t throw the ball over 89 mph. I would rather see Pope or Whelan because they can throw hard and your not takening a young starter out of getting consistant work.

By the way, not all those starters in Double-A or Triple-A will start for us. A few of them will become relievers in order and I have no problems with that. Just to be clear, I am not taking about Banuelos or Betance because they may be in our rotation by the end of next year. The guys I am refering to are the onces who don’t project to be 1′s or 2′s like Warren, Noesi or Stoneburner. As for Mitchell and Phelps, they will never pitch for the Yankees and will just be guy that are the 6th starter staying in Triple-A or will be traded.

• Rookie says:

That’s certainly true, M-Three. Not all of the Yankees’ AA/AAA pitchers project to be 1′s or 2′s — and many, if not most, will never pitch for the Yankees, etc.

And maybe one or two or even more of them are capable of being another Tyler Clippard — a mediocre starter, but a very good reliever.

But as long as they’re high or even decent upside pitchers, I think the Yankees get the most value from them except in the most dire of circumstances by making their development priority #1. Maybe I’m wrong, but I figure that even if they’re traded or just used as a #5 starter or as a spot starter option, they’re worth more — in use or in trade — if they’re allowed to mature and develop as they should. Actually, I don’t believe that decent #4/#5 starters come all that cheap — either in free agency or trade.

If I were a counterfeiter (which I’m most certainly not) I wouldn’t want to use $100 bills with wet ink to wipe up spills, but I wouldn’t want to use $1 bills with wet ink that way either.

21. neaks says:

> “Don’t be surprised if they run him into the ground if there’s a blowout tonight, then cut him tomorrow and replace him with someone else”

this is looking eerily prophetic…

22. Rookie says:

And it sure beats any alternatives that I can think of on their current roster — Swisher aside. :) And all kidding aside, I don’t see any reason to risk Swisher hurting his arm either with Sanit up.

Thank goodness they brought him up so he’s an option tonight. Thanks to Sanit being available, the Yankee bullpen should be in much better shape for the Boston series this weekend and Girardi should be better able to minimize its overuse in blowout games such as tonight’s.

I’ve always thought the benefits of an extra relief pitcher as described above generally outweigh the benefit of an extra position player thanks to him reducing the odds of injury and the potential cascading effect of overworked relief pitchers being ineffective and their ineffectiveness potentially leading to the overworking of other relief pitchers, etc., etc., etc.