May

Yankees pummel O’s, win third straight

Boy did the Yankees need a game like this. The bullpen was taxed, the offense was pressing, and the fans were frustrated, but a plethora of early runs and eight easy innings from CC Sabathia led a stress-free blowout win. The Orioles’ are the best medicine apparently, and New York has now won three in a row.

Swish got in on the fun. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

Offense Offense Offense

After scoring four runs in 15 innings the night before, the Yankees came out of the gate on Thursday and scored five runs in the first inning. The inning went double, triple (run scores), ground out (run scores), strikeout, hit by pitch, walk, wild pitch (runners move up), walk, double (three runs score), strikeout. Nick Swisher‘s three-run opposite field double just out of the reach of Felix Pie was the big blow, his first hit with two outs and runners in scoring position all season.

The Yankees didn’t get their first single of the night until Robinson Cano led off the fifth with a shot back up the middle, when the score was already nine-zip and the game was essentially over. Brett Gardner and Derek Jeter hit back-to-back triples, two of three three-baggers on the night. Even Eduardo Nunez chipped in a two-run homer, a sure sign that the rapture is coming this weekend.

(AP Photo/Nick Wass)

Cruise Control

Am I the only one that kinda wishes the Yankees didn’t “waste” a Sabathia start in a game in which they scored 13 runs? Don’t get me wrong, I’m extremely appreciative of the big guy’s eight scoreless innings (seven hits, season-high nine strikeouts), but in a perfect world some scrubby pitcher would have started this game while CC went tomorrow, when the Yankees are unlikely to score so many runs. Ah well, I guess I shouldn’t look a gift (work)horse in the mouth.

Sabathia cruised right along all game long, retiring ten of eleven early on and only twice allowing the Orioles to have two men on base at the same time. One of those instances was the first, after he intentionally plunked Nick Markakis in retaliation for Cano getting hit in the knee in the top of the frame. One hundred and nine pitches (84 strikes!), 18 of 24 outs either on the ground or via strike three, and a bullpen spared. Vintage CC, exactly what they needed.

(AP Photo/Nick Wass)

Leftovers

Both benches were warned after Sabathia hit Markakis, but there was no further incident the rest of the game. Cano was seen with an icepack on his knee in the dugout pretty much all game long, but he looked fine at the plate and stayed in until garbage time. I figure the beanball matter is settled, hitting their best-ish player and kicking the crap out of them on the scoreboard works for me.

Amaury Sanit has to be on his way back to Triple-A Scranton, right? Don’t get me wrong, I’m very thankful for his bullpen saving effort against the Royals last week, but he’s pretty awful, has been for two years now. Get Ryan Pope up here for tomorrow, please.

Every starter had a hit except for Alex Rodriguez, who instead walked. Jeter, Curtis Granderson, Russell Martin, Swisher, and Gardner all had multiple hits, and both Cano and Jorge Posada walked and picked up a hit. Mark Teixeira had just one hit, but it was a doozy, a two-run homer in the middle innings. Posada looked fine at first base defensively, but he wasn’t tested with any tough plays, so he gets an incomplete grade for tonight’s effort.

That’s pretty much all there is to say about this game. Funny how the more runs they score and the better Sabathia is, the less there is to write. Yankees gonna Yankee, I guess.

WPA Graph & Box Score

Heh, it’s funny Baltimore’s little ninth inning rally wasn’t even a blip on the radar. MLB.com has the box and video, FanGraphs the nerd.

Up Next

The Yankees head back home to Bronx to kick off the 2011 edition of the Subway Series on Friday night. The Mets come across town and will start R.A. Dickey against Freddy Garcia.

Categories : Game Stories

1. pete says:

Probably not, but I don’t feel that way. How many runs they score tonight has little bearing on how many they’ll score tomorrow. I just wouldn’t feel as good about a 13-8 slugfest/mess as I do about a 13-2 slapathon.

2. CP says:

Gameday had a pitch that Granderson hit clocked at 37 MPH. Was that a real eephus pitch or was it a gamesay glitch?

3. I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

My favorite part of the game was when CC plunked Markakis. Does that make me a bad person?

4. A-Rod's Wingman says:

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, tomorrow we need a fat pitcher’s appreciation thread. Hell, a fat man appreciation thread in general.

5. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I think the Yankees will go no worse than 16-2 against BAL this year.

6. BigBlueAL says:

Sweep the Mets and the Yankees would immediately answer their 6 game losing streak with a 6 game winning streak.

7. Deadhorse25 says:

Great win for the Yankees, in other news the Red Sox sign Millwood and acquire Franklin Morales. Should the Yankees have acquire Morales to be the second lefty in the pen?

• Zack says:

Can’t wait to see his 6 BB/9 over the last two years.

File this move with Andrew Miller and Rich Hill.

• Mike Axisa says:

Morales has big time control issues and is an extreme fly ball guy (like, 30% grounders), but he’s got a great arm. Would have been worthy of a flier, but a not a guy to lose sleep over. He’s a Venezuelan Andrew Miller.

8. jim p says:

CC deserved a low-pressure game for a change, so I don’t mind.

9. PHIL says:

if CC wasnt our ace i would of loved to see markakis charge CC that would of been pretty funny to see CC just drop em or better yet spear em. CC Bart Joba we got 3 Nfl Centers none of them will be getting chargd

10. A-ROD fan says:

I heard that the Yankees are interested in bret myers and the astros ask for edwardo nuñes. I don’t like that trade

• Thomas Cassidy says:

Wasn’t this last year? I doubt the Yankees have any interest in Myers and if they do they aren’t giving up Nunez for him.

• A-Rod's Wingman says:

He seems like he’s not much better than the Noesi, Warren, etc. Probably not worth giving up Nuñez.Although I’m not sure they could get much more or Nuñez straight up, I’d prefer to use him in a package with someone like Nova, Noesí, Chamberlain, etc.

• David, Jr. says:

They like Nunez a lot if they wouldn’t include him to finish off a Cliff Lee trade. No way he goes for Myers.

• dalelama says:

Is a 1.348 career WIP good? It seems to me since Nunez can’t hit the broad side of a barn with a baseball his value as an infielder is minimal.

• V says:

Except… Nunez CAN hit… .300/.344/.467 so far this season…

What team are YOU watching this season?

• David, Jr. says:

Regardless of what you think, I suspect that the Yankees think quite highly of him. Throwing and patience at the plate are weaknesses, but he can hit, run, and has the ability to be a good fielder with some work.

11. forensic says:

I have no problem with this blowout being a Sabathia start because it gives the bullpen another nice rest day. If some scrub is pitching and it’s 13-8, then you get close to having to use the good relievers again.

12. Will says:

I’m with Mike on kinda wishing this hadn’t been a CC start. But even more so, I’d like to see CC pitch like he did tonight when he’s matched up against guys like Beckett, not Bergeson. It’s becoming a mildly annoying pattern with him this year—lights out in blowouts, average in close games.

• V says:

Instead of suggesting that he ‘buckles under pressure,’ I view it more as a pattern of his career – in April and May, he’s inconsistent, and in June-September, he’s a total ace. I think tonight is the start of a string of great starts we’ll see from him.

13. Bpdelia says:

Yep, sabathias pattern is similar to what the yankees often do, start slow then get hot with the weather

14. paul says:

CC is setup for Toronto. I would rather him throw vs them then the Mets. Our other guys can handle NYM…Lets sweep this weekend…would be nice!

15. Matt says:

Would love to see a sweep as well. Keep the Mets in the basement so then they are more likely to trade there players. maybe one of them to the yankees.

16. Yank the Frank says:

I hope the End of Days can hold off until after this winning streak.

17. Fairweather Freddy says:

Since the Sox have placed DFA Okajima, should Yanks take a shot if he clears?

18. Fairweather Freddy says:

I have a feeling Yanks will struggle tonight with Dickey’s knuckler And Freddy garcia is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.

19. Billy Mumphrey says:

We should be able to take 2/3 vs the Mets. Alex, Jorge, and even Swish could be getting on a hot streak. The offense should be able to carry us like it did tonight.

20. Woody Sweats says:

why was martin in at third towards the end of the game?

• V says:

Why not? He’s played third before. Can’t hurt to give him some flexibility by giving him some reps with a 13 run lead.