Jun

Francisco Rodriguez open to Yanks’ trade

Francisco Rodriguez is open to a trade to the Yankees, the Mets’ closer said to The Daily News today. While speaking with Kristie Ackert, the mercurial reliever said he would embrace an opportunity to pitch in the Bronx if the circumstances were right. “If I am going to be traded, obviously I want the opportunity to close out games, but if it’s going to be good teams like the Yankees or the Rays, and it’s going to be for two months, I can go out there and help them out,” he said.

We had previously heard reports that K-Rod would waive his no-trade clause if a team were willing to extend his contract. It sounds, however, as though he’s willing to drop those demands. For the Yankees seeking bullpen help, Rodriguez remains an intriguing option, and I made the case for a trade earlier this month. As The Process Report notes, K-Rod will be owed around $6 million on his contract by the time of the trade deadline, and his deal includes a $17.5 million or a $3.5 million buyout. He certainly would be an expensive bullpen option, but if the Yanks are willing to pay the salary, the price in prospects shouldn’t be too high. As Brian Cashman has said that he needs setup help, this is one rumor that might have some legs.

1. duzzi23 says:

I HATE krod. But as a 2 month rental could really help the pen n knows the American League. I’ll never forget what he did vs us as a setupman in 2002

2. crawdaddie says:

God, I hope Soriano comes back strong as I want no part of Krod.

3. Yank The Frank says:

With his delivery he is an accident waiting to happen. The way our bullpen has been going KRod will be on the DL in August if the trade is made.

4. Xstar7 says:

Intriguing, but I think I’ll pass on that 1.417 WHIP for a relief pitcher.

5. Mister Delaware says:

“I see myself first and foremost as a closer, but if I were traded to a team with a long established guy working the 9th, I would be willing to be a setup man. I mean, Mariano Rivera, Kyle Farnsworth … those guys are legends. Who am I to take over their roles?” – Krod

6. imposter says:

Yeah sure let’s get another stopper turned set-up guy . DRob can set-up for Mo like he’s been doing since Joba went down . The need for this bullpen is a lefty specialist since Logan can’t get them out anymore .

• YankeesJunkie says:

I am not a big fan of specialist. Unless they are throwing sub 2 FIP against once side then I might be interested. Get guys that can get out and throw innings. There is no reason a team should have a 13 man bullpen (even 12 to an extent), but this specialization is killing benches.

• imposter says:

A lefty specialist is a big part of the game today, without one who is going to get guys like Papi,AGon,Hamilton…etc out? Like I stated earlier this is where the pen needs help not another stopper turned set-up.

• Mr. Sparkle says:

Lefty specialists are overrated. I’ll take a guy who can simply get batters out. Not that I’m saying that guy is K-Rod since I think his best days are done. There will be someone on the market that could help them out more than Rodriguez, carries a lot less baggage and isn’t an accident waiting to happen on the mound. His 9th inning meltdowns and near meltdowns are what punched his ticket out of Anaheim in the first place and that has been pretty much his M.O. with the Mets.

7. David says:

If Sori comes back strong, AND we get K-rod, maybe having K-rod would ‘encourage’ Sori to opt out at the end of the year and we get a draft pick and get out of his contract. (?)

8. Bronx Bomber says:

Forgive me if I don’t want another overpriced closer, that could implode at anytime. 7 mil for 2 months? Screw that.

9. Jorge says:

I’m open to a trade to the Yankees as well.

10. nsalem says:

Gagne par deux

11. Tom Zig says:

I look forward to having a bullpen of 4 lefties and 3 righties.

12. Pounder says:

Call me crazy, but I would not mind seeing Dickey come to the Yanks.Even as a setup man.

13. The BIG 3 says:

‘The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results’
    -Al Einstein

• FIPster Doofus says:

Like Jeter in the leadoff spot.

• JonS says:

Not just that, but it seems like Girardi in general is just trying to prove the insanity phrase wrong.

• The BIG 3 says:

The opposite. Jete’s been doing it for 15 years, Gardner hasn’t. In fact, Gardner hasn’t even been doing it for months (253 career lead-off AB’s, .347 OBP, although .407 for the past month). Jeter is bonafide, albeit questionably toast given his age. Gardner is the poster-boy for bad conclusions made by questionable stats.

Give me Jeter 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. Even if I’m wrong, I’ve deferred to a guy who’s earned the respect.

14. duzzi23 says:

Hahaha yea jeter def needs to be no where near the leadoff spot

15. duzzi23 says:

Yea he is so stubborn

16. Adam Parker says:

Who the heck is Francisco Rodriguez?

/Brian Brunney’d

17. josh says:

he should go to the rays. they rays REALLY need a closer!