Jun

After 49-pitch sim game, Hughes to make Sunday rehab start

Via Sweeny Murti and Dawn Klemish, Phil Hughes threw 49 pitches (36 strikes) across 3.2 IP in a simulated game in Tampa today. He struck out six and reportedly hit 91-93 mph consistently, saying afterward that he felt “a lot better.” The next step is a 65-pitch rehab start with Short Season Staten Island on Sunday, officially starting his 30-day rehab clock. That game will be played at gorgeous MCU Park in Coney Island (home of the Brooklyn Cyclones), so it’s a great chance for those of you in the area to catch Hughes on the cheap. Check for tickets right here.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. jsbrendog says:

hmmm, i might have to go out to coney island sunday….

2. Cy Pettitte says:

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHES

if he can come back right after the ASB that would be awesome

3. vin says:

I’m trying to temper my expectations, but adding an effective Hughes would be a big lift for the rotation – especially if Bartolo comes back as effective as he has been.

CC
    AJ
    Bartolo
    Phil
    Sweaty Freddy

Nova and Noesi to the pen.

I can live with that.

• Adam B says:

That rotation can get us to the playoffs, but I still think we need another guy once we get there.

• Kiersten says:

If AJ keeps pitching like he’s been (as in, generally not imploding), I think that rotation would be fine. It’s a lot of “ifs” though.

• radnom says:

Also, Hughes has to come back strong. I’m not taking that as a given at this point, there is still so much uncertainty with him for this year.

So if everything breaks perfectly, including Colon being healthy, that rotation would be fine. But I think thats an unrealistic expectation. Gotta plan for at least normal luck.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

We won’t need Freddy or any other 5th starter in the playoffs and if CC, AJ, Colon, and Hughes pitch their best, that’s fine for the playoffs. Assuming AJ doesn’t turn into 2010 AJ, Colon stays healthy, and Hughes able to get batters out with 2 strikes. All of those are very much possible.

4. Andrew says:

Hopefully his arm responds well and he keeps maintaining that type of velocity over his rehab starts. It would be amazing to get him back for July-October, and hopefully we get to see pre-ASB 2010 Hughes for most of that stretch.

5. Robert says:

91-93 MPH sounds good to me. Let’s hope he can sustain it.

6. CBean says:

It would be wrong to ditch dad for this.
    It would be wrong to ditch dad for this.
    It would be wrong to ditch dad for this.

/tells self

7. Accent Shallow says:

This is good news, but I don’t expect anything from Hughes this year.

8. If I didn’t already know about them, I’d have assumed “Sweeny Murti” and “Dawn Klemish” were fake names you just made up.

9. Frank says:

This is excellent news! I hope Phil is over his shoulder inflammation thing. If he is rehabbing in his first start and hitting 91-93, I think we can expect him to be his usual 92-95 very soon!

Good luck Phil!

CC
    Colon
    AJ
    Hughes
    Freddy

10. zs190 says:

Can find some Hughes quotes about the outing on MLB from an article by Dawn Klemish. Supposedly if the Sunday outing goes well, he’ll go to 80 pitches next rehab start then possibly no pitch count limits the next one.

So roughly 3-4 more rehab starts for Phil, could see Phil be back in early July if all goes well, likely right after ASB though.

11. EJ says:

So if he is usually 91-93, what was he doing earlier? 90-92?

12. nathan says:

He felt ” a lot better “, not exactly the ” felt great and ready to go ”

Hope he is not hiding anything, given the wacky injury only he knows whatsup.

13. What exactly was his injury or ailment again?

Like, what does this mean going forward next year?

• Ed says:

There wasn’t any structural damage, just some inflammation. Not even enough to cause concern the first time they looked at it. Rest and a cortisone shot seems to have done the trick.

I doubt they’re even thinking about next year right now. It’s a little too “mystery injury” for them to make long term plans. Right now they’re just easing him back into game action and hoping he holds up. Just take it as it comes for now.

• Ted Nelson says:

The long-term concern comes into play in that a similar thing happened the season after he last had a real work load. Two times he’s had something resembling an MLB starters’ work load. Both times he had problems to start the next season. Basically… this can only happen so many more times before Phil Hughes is officially a reliever. Not saying it will or should necessarily happen now, just that that’s a real concern.

I’m not trying to say anything definitive here, just that it’s a concern long-term. I agree that they’ll probably evaluate things as they come. But fans will flip their shits if things don’t come the way they want them to… which will be both funny to watch and frustrating.

• CP says:

When was the last time that he had a full season workload?

Before last season his highest IP was 146IP in 2006.

• Ed says:

I realize there could be long term workload concerns. But you can’t think about that now. the team hunted for injuries, found nothing serious, and guessed at a cure. I don’t think anyone is convinced that he’s fully healthy right now.

His last high workload was in AA. The following year he came up to the majors and hurt his leg, then hurt it again while rehabbing. It was two freak incidents unrelated to his arm. I’d be very surprised if that factored into their long term thinking.

14. Preston says:

This is the first time in the whole process that I’ve felt good about Hughes actually pitching effectively again this year. The velocity sounds good, but it isn’t just about velocity it’s the movement so the 6 strikeouts are what get me excited.

15. B-Rando says:

one step at a time.
    another positive step today. l
    ets hope he keeps it up.

16. AC says:

If Hughes comes back strong move Nova to pen 7th inning role. We can all admit he’s pretty strong 1st time thru the order. He may turn out to be an answer in the pen

17. Ivan says:

Thats great news to here about Hughes. Im still cautious about my optimism, but you have to be encourage to hear this news especially considering with all the injuries that the yankees have been hit with for the last couple weeks. A healthy and effective Phil Hughes can take this yankee rotation a long ways.

18. steven says:

ahhh one of the few good things about living in staten island (all though the game is in brroklyn)

19. IRF says:

Sorry Dad, Hughes is calling.

20. Bpdelia says:

Whew thats encouraging. I was honestly l expecting a release that said “hughes made a sim start and felt fine” which would have been code for “oh shit he was 87 mph all day”

No way to look at it other than good news.