Jun

Link Dump: Robertson, Joba, All-Star Voting

The Yankees are still playing the Brewers, but here are some links for those of you that can’t watch the game…

(Photo Credit: Flickr user EDorf81 via Creative Commons license)

David Robertson, Life Saver (Not Literally)

The Yankees bullpen was supposed to be a strength coming into the season, and it has been for the most part. Just not the way we expected. Rafael Soriano and Joba Chamberlain went down long-term elbow injuries, forcing David Robertson to step up his game and bridge the gap between starter and Mariano Rivera. His performance (1.58 FIP and 1.4 fWAR, third highest among all relievers) earned him a spot on Jerry Crasnick’s list of life savers, which focuses on players who thrived after injuries forced them into more prominent roles. “He’s always had that great curveball,” said a scout that Crasnick spoke too. “And [Joe Girardi] really likes him and trusts him.” Well, duh.

Joba Documents Life After Tommy John Surgery

If you follow Joba on Twitter, then you’re already aware that he’s been posting near-daily updates of his status following his Tommy John surgery, and Marc Carig asked him why. “I’ll document good days and bad days when we really start getting after it,” said Joba yesterday. “It’s good. It obviously gives you a non-baseball outlet. A lot of people don’t know really what Tommy John is, and the process. They’re basically going through the process with me. I appreciate all the support that they have given me. I think it’s fun for them to see what’s happening.”

Joba posted some gnarly photos of his scars after the surgery, and continues to write about how he’s feeling and how the latest doctor appointment went. I’ve been following along and I think it’s a pretty cool way for him to not only keep everyone updated about how he’s doing, but also interact with readers. Rehab from TJS is no joke, but now we’ll get a closer look at it then every before.

All-Star Game Voting Ends Tonight

Fan voting for the 2011 All-Star Game ends at midnight, so make sure you head over and stuff the ballots while you still can. Five Yankees are in line to start the game at the moment: Russell Martin, Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, and Curtis Granderson. Mark Teixeira is about a million voted behind Adrian Gonzalez at first base, and both Nick Swisher and Brett Gardner are about a million and a half votes out of an outfield spot. I haven’t voted yet myself, but if I do, here’s my ballot…

AL: Alex Avila, Adrian, Howie Kendrick, Asdrubal Cabrera, A-Rod, Granderson, Bautista, Carlos Quentin, David Ortiz

NL: Brian McCann, Prince Fielder, Rickie Weeks, Jose Reyes, Placido Polanco, Matt Kemp, Andrew McCutchen, Ryan Braun

Categories : Links

1. Nick says:

Why Kendrick over Cano??

2. Pat D says:

Your ballot makes me sad, Mike. You’re supposed to show unquestioned favortism and vote for Martin, Teix, Cano and Jeter.

Honestly, how is the AL supposed to win with non-stars like Alex Avila and Howie Kendrick in the starting lineup?

3. Johnny B Damon says:

SS Reyes
    3B Roberts
    OF Kemp
    OF McCutchen
    OF Victorino

4. Rob says:

Kenrick over Cano? I know Cano hasn’t been the player he was during the first half of last year in terms of average and pitch selection, but he is still hitting .290 and his power numbers are really impressive for a 2B. Whereas, Kendrick is hitting .305, but other than that, his numbers pale in comparison to Cano’s.

• Guest says:

Way better OBP for Kendrick. Better defense.

It’s close, but Kendrick should probably get the slight nod. So far, the only thing Cano has on Kendrick is power. And while Kendrick only has eight HR’s, there isn’t much between the two of them in terms of slugging %, so Robbie’s power advantage isn’t large enough to make up for the defense/on-base advantage that Kendrick has.

• Williamsis King says:

Not saying I disagree, but the “way better OBP” and “not much of a difference is slugging %” are a .028 and .025 difference, respectively. In other words, you’re having it both ways.

5. Xstar7 says:

That photo of Joba’s arm is nasty.

6. Monteroisdinero says:

D-Rob started a hitter off with an 87 mph changeup last night. With command of this pitch, in a few years we may have our Mo-successor.

7. King of All Yanks says:

Kendrick over Cano??? Do they drug test at RAB???

Robinson Cano fWAR: 2.3

Howie Kendrick fWAR: 3.7

• Pat D says:

I don’t watch the Angels play much, but this is one of those “I can’t distrust my eyes” things for me. I really can’t see how Kendrick has been more valuable than Cano.

I’m just not finding the balance yet.

• King of All Yanks says:

Those numbers mean CRAP. Cano is SUPERIOR offensively and as good if not better defensively. Ask Brian Cashman or any GM if they would Trade Cano for Kendrick straight up and you would get punched straight in the mouth for thinking that stupidly.

• Xstar7 says:

We’re just talking about THIS year you know. Of course Cano is the better ballplayer. He’s just having a sub-par year (by his amazing standards.)

• CP says:

We’re just talking about THIS year you know.

That’s just your subjective opinion. I prefer to vote for the best overall player, and not someone that just happens to have a hot couple of months.

Basically, for me, the question is: “Who would I want for the rest of the year to play each position?”

In that case, I would take Cano over Kendrick.

• Mike Axisa says:

If we’re just going to vote for the best player overall, it’ll just be the same guys year after year. I vote for whatever player is having the best season to date.

• CP says:

The biggest problem I have with this is that a player that tends to start slow but finish hot (like Tex) will continually lose to a player that starts fast but finishes slowly (like Youkilis).

And what’s the problem with having the same players year after year? I’d much rather watch the All-Start game with legitimate stars than just a bunch of guys that are scrub but having a great couple months.

• Cris Pengiuci says:

If I were to vote (I won’t), I’d vote for who I wanted to see play. Most likely, players having the best year so far, regardless of what their career looks like or what I think the remainder of this season will look like. If they’re hot now and I’d like to watch them play, then they’d get my vote.

• Xstar7 says:

I would too. Cano is probably going to have a big second half. But Kendrick has had a better overall first half.

• CP says:

But Kendrick has had a better overall first half.

So?

• Xstar7 says:

Robbie has more talent and has had a better career, Kendrick has had a better first half. Even though the voting is supposed to be based on who’s having the best half season, the player with the bigger name power will almost always get in. This is why no one should take the All-Star Game seriously. It’s mostly just for the shits and giggles.

• CP says:

My problem is with this statement.

There are no guidelines for All-Star voting.

Everyone can decide how to vote and what to consider. If you vote based only on the current season, that’s fine, but there’s nothing wrong with someone else voting on overall talent, who would you trade for who, etc.

• Guest says:

Which is why the All-Star game is not a barometer of whose the best bet to have a better career.

It is, theoretically, supposed to reward those players who are having the best half-season.

As players: Cano >>>>> Kendrick.
          But in terms of performance over the first half of the 2011 season: Kendrick > Cano.

• whozat says:

Well, there is an argument to be had there. It’s not really clear that the All-Star game is a reward for a great first half. There’s an article on (I think) fangraphs today where some guys are having this discussion. One could certainly argue that it’s for the most talented players — the “Stars” — but then the roster wouldn’t change much year over year, which might be boring.

I dunno… I think’s it’s reasonable to consider it either way, and certainly unreasonable for anyone (King of all Yanks) to call people idiots for choosing the other interpretation.

• King of All Yanks says:

Where did I call anyone an idiot?? I Love “fans” who look at magical numbers instead of trusting what they see on a daily basis.

• Mike Axisa says:

I trust that you watch Kendrick on a daily basis as well then. Otherwise this is a silly argument with that logic.

• King of All Yanks says:

I watch the Angels games after the Yankee games out here in Cali on a daily basis. I am not disputing Howie is a good player. However he is not on Cano’s level talent wise or effect on his team.

• whozat says:

I figured that “punched in the mouth for thinking that stupidly” could be effectively paraphrased as calling someone an idiot.

Also…are you suggesting that Kendrick has NOT made outs at a significantly lesser pace than Cano? That Kendrick’s 24% line-drive rate does NOT indicate that he’s hitting the ball effectively this year (compared to Cano’s still-very-good 20%)?

• whozat says:

So…to counter literally ALL of the offensive data, you’ve chosen an argument based in a completely hypothetical appeal to authority?

I’m convinced.

• Anchen says:

Cano is almost certainly the better overall player, but up to this point Kendrick is probably having the better half. No, I don’t think Cashman or any GM would trade Cano for Kendrick straight up. It comes down to how you want to vote for the all star team, such as home team favoritism, best overall player, best half season, etc. Mike’s ballot appears to be based on objective numbers for the *current* season. I definitely voted Cano for 2nd base, but at least he has a basis for his reasoning.

• CG says:

Since when is the all star game starters based on whether or not a GM would trade the player?

• Mike Axisa says:

I wouldn’t trade Cano for Kendrick, no way. But that has nothing to do with the All-Star Game.

• Cris Pengiuci says:

Right. A better analysis might be “who would I want playing on my team right now?” Kendrick seems to fit that over Cano. Think of your fantasy team. Given the choice between these 2, who do you pick?

• TheLastClown says:

Getting punched in the face by Cashmoney would mean…well…lots of cashmoney.

• Addison says:

I completely agree..fuck WAR.

• TheLastClown says:

Yeah, I’m a peace activist too.

• Xstar7 says:

Yeah definitely. Let’s bash what we don’t understand.

• Addison says:

Why assume because someone bashes something it’s because they don’t understand it?

Isn’t it within the realm of possibility sometimes we bash things because they’re a mindnumbing waste?

• Addison says:

“FWar includes salary in its analysis. What does that have to do with anything on the field??”

See, XStar7?

It might help knowing there’s no skeletons in your own closet before worrying about what’s in someone else’s.

• Mike Axisa says:

That is 100% wrong.

• Xstar7 says:

“fWAR includes salary in it’s analysis. What does that have to do with anything on the field??”

It determines a player’s value, if the team paying his salary is getting a good bang for their buck.

“It might help knowing there’s no skeletons in your own closet before what’s in someone else’s.”

I have no idea what the fuck you’re talking about.

• Xstar7 says:

If you understood WAR you wouldn’t be bashing it.

• Addison says:

Do you bash batting average?

• Xstar7 says:

No, but I don’t over value it either.

• Addison says:

But you overvalue WAR, so what’s the difference?

You like apples and I like oranges.

In the long run, we both like fruit.

As long as we both reach the same conclusion, it doesn’t matter how we get there.

• Addison says:

Albert Pujols and Ichiro have the exact same lifetime BA.

With nothing else, you’d think they are the same player.

Jose Bautista and Andrew McCutchen have the same WAR.

With nothing else, you’d think they’re the same player.

One very minimal stat and one very complex stat tell us the exact same thing….that by themselves, they tell us nothing.

• Xstar7 says:

WAR is a much more useful stat than BA. That’s the difference.

8. Guest says:

Put it on the left side.

9. King of All Yanks says:

Kendrick BA 305 HR 8 RBI 26 Runs 40 SB 8
    Cano BA 289 HR 14 RBI 51 Runs 50 SB 6

On top of that Kendrick has only played half of his games at 2B, 1 quarter @ LF and 1 quarter @ 1B.

• Xstar7 says:

You’re beating a dead horse. Cano is going to get in anyway. Have you seen the ballots? Dustin Pedroia isn’t even close at second.

• King of All Yanks says:

Just stating how all of these “magical” numbers mean crap in the grand scheme of things…

• Xstar7 says:

They’re not “magical numbers” they add on and tell you more about a player than just the normal counting stats. Personally I like them both, but neither tell the full story.

• King of All Yanks says:

They are “magical” numbers. How does salary play into what happens on the field? How can you convert runs to wins? YOU CAN’T! Say Cano went 5-5 with 3 HR’s 5 RBI’s 4 Runs scored, He contributed 7 runs himself. Freddy Garcia Gets bombed and the Yankees lose 16-9. 7 runs in most games is a win but not always…. What if Cano Batted 2nd with protection instead of 5th?? Numbers leave ALOT to be desired….

• Mike Axisa says:

Wrong. Unless he drove himself in seven times, other players contributed to those seven runs because they were on base.

• JAG says:

Not that it matters but the math doesn’t even work there. This situation has 5 RBI (5 runs, obviously), 3 HR and 4 Runs. 3 of those runs are on the HRs, so we can ignore those, leaving us with Cano contributing 6 runs “by himself”…only not at all b/c he didn’t drive himself in that one time, and he drove in two guys who he didn’t put on base himself.

I just put way more thought into that than it was worth.

• Xstar7 says:

I have no idea where you’re going with this…

• whozat says:

Just looked at Fangraph’s glossary page. Salary is not mentioned once. Money is only mentioned in a angry comment. Please explain how salary is taken into account in fangraph’s WAR calculation.

10. Addison says:

Kendrick’s played fifteen games in LF and 14 at first base, so he’s barely a full time second baseman.

Add that to the recipe and it’s Cano, no question.

11. Mike Myers says:

Francisco Cervelli went 3-for-4 with two RBI against the Brewers on Thursday.
    It bumped his average from .197 to .231. Cervelli has 13 RBI in 65 at-bats this season. At that pace, he’d drive in 100 runs if given 500 at-bats. So, now all we need is for the Yankees to actually give him 500 at-bats.

Vote Cervelli? HAHAH.

12. JG233 says:

Howie Kendrick’s mom wouldnt even vote for him over Cano…

13. T.J. Saint says:

I think that some of you have this all wrong. There aren’t any written guidlines to voting. Personally, I like to watch the guys I think have a shot at the Hall of Fame someday. I think a HOF is the best all star you’ll get.

• Pat D says:

Interesting factoid: Robin Yount only made the ASG 3 times, and one of those 3 times was not 1989, when he was MVP.

• Guest says:

And that’s a totally fair point. You’ve presented a completely sound metric to choose whom you want to see play in a glorified exhibition game.

But the metric of choosing the guy who you feel has had the best season is also a valid metric. I think a lot of us have issues with those guys who are screaming “Cano is SOOOO much better than Kendrick, Kendrick can’t start over him at the all-star game!!!”

Well, we all agree that Cano is a superior player to Kendrick and will likely have a far better career. But, so far, Kendrick has had a better season. It’s not crazy to think the guy that has had the better season should start the all star game, just as its not crazy to think that the player with the superior career and slightly inferior season should start the all-star game.

Both are reasonable.

14. Jd says:

This is too close to call. Cano is the guy I want at the plate.

15. bexarama says:

What’s with the hostility? Unless people are choosing like Brad Emaus for NL 2B for a reason other than the lulz, most things are defensible. I get why people would vote for Cano, and I get why people would vote for Kendrick. There just isn’t a need to be like YOU BLIND STAT NERD!!!!/YOU SIMPLETON!!!!!!!!

(Though a player’s salary has nothing to do with how WAR is calculated. I don’t know where that person got that from.)

• Balboni Homie says:

I see where King of all Yanks got his “Salary” info. I googled FWAR clicked the first link and scrolled through. It doesnt say Salary is says money. Anyhow, besides that aspect I agree with him. Maybe the fWAR gods consider Pena and Nunez better replacements than whoever the Angels have to play 2nd. Other than BA Robbie’s numbers are significantly better than Kendricks. Throw that into Kendrick is only a PT 2nd baseman, and hands down Robbie is not only the better choice but the obvious one.

16. Mark D. says:

agree with all the allstar picks except for robinson cano being omitted. He is having a better year than kendrick offensively by a good amount.

17. Deadhorse25 says:

Here’s a good question, should D-Rob make the All Star Team?

• Voice of Reason says:

As long as you’re cool with taking relievers, the answer is definitely. He’s been the best reliever in the league. Practically speaking though, I’m not sure he’ll make it considering he’s a Yankee and non-closer.

18. Favrest says:

Howie Kendrick?

Have you been self-medicating?

• Brian says:

AL second basemen by WAR:
      Ben Zobrist: 4.0
      Howie Kendrick: 3.7
      Dustin Pedroia: 3.6
      Ian Kinsler: 3.4
      Robinson Cano: 2.3

Oh.

19. Favrest says:

If the case can be made for Quentin, it can be made for Swisher.

20. nycsportzfan says:

3B P.Palanco
    C B.McCann
    OF L.Berkman
    OF M.Kemp
    OF R.Braun

21. deadrody says:

I really hate saying this, but it is Yankee fans voting like you that cost our guys a shot at the All Star game, and if you didn’t think that was relevant, why post how far away from the vote Swisher and Gardner are ? They aren’t hardly deserving of starting in the All Star game. But who else is going to vote for them if not yankee fans, seriously ?

You think Sox fans are voting for A-rod because he is most deserving at 3B or Granderson in CF ? The hell they are. I bet 99% of Red Sox fan ballots are Sox across the board and they probably wrote Varitek in for catcher.

22. JG233 says:

Among AL 2nd basemen Cano is first in hits, HRs, RBIs, Slugging and OPS…that equals starter in the AS game.

23. Hardy says:

All the people (like me) who have voted for Granderson have cost the Yankees a cool 1,025,000 dollars.

From Cot’s:

Curtis Granderson of
    5 years/$30.25M (2008-12), plus 2013 club option

13:$13M club option ($2M buyout)
    o 2013 option increases to:
    + $15M if MVP (1st – 5th) in 2011 or 2012
    + $14M if All Star in 2011 or 2012
    + $13.5M if All Star selection in 2011 or 2012
    o award bonuses: $25,000 each for All Star, Gold Glove; $50,000 for Silver Slugger; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $0.1M for MVP, WS MVP