Jun

Next stop on The Phil Hughes Rehab Tour: New Britain

Via Josh Norris, Brian Cashman confirmed that Phil Hughes‘ next rehab start will come with Double-A Trenton this Friday. He’s likely to throw 75 pitches or so. Hughes struck out seven and ran his fastball up to 95 in his first rehab start yesterday, which is great news, but he’s still got a long way to go. Trenton will be in New Britain for that game, in case you’re thinking about heading over to check it out. Here’s the link to get tickets.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Steve S. says:

OK, I’m not going to this one.

Unless of course, the Beach Bums make the trip.

2. RichYF says:

Bought tickets about 3 hours ago. Excited to see Phil from behind home plate 9 rows back.

3. Cy Pettitte says:

any word on how many rehab starts they’re expecting him to make if all goes according to plans?

4. Countryclub says:

I’m not sure why you keep saying he has a long way to go. His next start will be 75 pitches. And then one more to get him up to 90. From there, he’s ready for 100+ and he should be with the big club.

• Steve H says:

Isn’t that best case scenario though? What if he has a setback?

• Countryclub says:

Oh sure, I know that’s possible. But if he doesn’t have a setback he’s 2 starts away from the majors. I don’t consider that being a long way to go. I’m not picking on mike, I just don’t agree with the wording.

• I think the “long way to go” is more along the lines of how many rehab starts + how many major league starts it will take for Phil to actually be good again, as opposed to just ready to start a game.

Phil’s velocity seems to be back. Two or three more starts will have his arm capable of throwing 100ish pitches. But we still will probably have to wait a bit longer for Phil to get the feel/location/control/command back for him to be an actual upgrade over one of our incumbent backend starters.

His first ML starts will probably be hit-or-miss.

5. Stratman9652 says:

The Phil Hughes Rehab Tour needs to be on a t-shirt. Like a concert shirt with the dates and locations on the back.

6. CMP says:

Once Phil and Colon come back, Freddy and Gordon can be sent to the pen and the starting rotation will be in business.

7. YanksFan in MA says:

I am pretty sure I will be there with my Stryker gun handy. Ok that’s a lie but I’ll be there.

8. adam says:

Bought 11 tickets.. Was planning on seeing the game anyway but bummed that I might end up with Igawa. We’re in section 116 right past the Trenton dugout. Huuuuuuuuuuuuuughes!

9. sangreal says:

He should bring the high socks look with him to the Majors

10. M-Three says:

Hope that Hughes and Colon have no set backs. Once those 2 return our rotation we be improved. We can put Garcia in the pen to our long man since he seems better fit as guy to only face the other line-up once. Then both Marquez and Gordon will be sent back to the minors. I don’t mind Marquez but I hate that everyone is overating Gordon just because he a 32 year old minor league journeyman.

• YankeesJunkie says:

At this point if Hughes can get back to the majors after 3 more rehab starts I would be very happy. He will be a huge boost to the rotation. I think by the end of the July all but Burnett and Sabathia will continue to be in the rotation. While Nova has had some great starts he has also had some stinkers and he could still be effective in a 2-3 inning role in the pen. This does not mean that his starting career is over for the Yankees, but at this point it is hard to see him higher than a #4 or #5 starter (same with Noesi) so I have no problem with sending them to pen as long as they are used.

11. magrone says:

What big name pitcher would u guys like to see us trade for? Regardless of what it takes.

12. jarsh says:

Definitely Sandy Koufax! LOLz
    But on the real, I’d take Lincecum!