Jun

Open Thread: CC gets the KKKKKKKKKKKKK’s

(Photo Credit: Flickr user Geoff Livingston via Creative Commons license)

I don’t want to spoil the game recap too much, but all you need to know is that CC Sabathia was the man today. He struck out 13 Brewers, tying a career high and setting a new high as a Yankees. All 13 of those whiffs were swinging. Milwaukee had no chance, the big man was on his game this afternoon.

Anyways, here is tonight’s open thread. The MLB Network will carry a game (teams depend on where you live), plus you could always watch a replay of the Yanks’ game on YES. Talk about whatever you want here, go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Xstar7 says:

Hilarious animated take on the Cliff Lee negotiations: http://johnsterling.blogspot.c.....brian.html

2. 4_Everbronx says:

With the exception of Braun, the Brewers offense looked like it was full of pitchers. Relief pitchers.

3. There are fewer things finer than being at Yankee Stadium on a sunny afternoon drinking a beer and watching CC do his thang.

• toad says:

As Jake Ruppert said,

“There’s nothing I like better than going to the park, watching the Yankees score seven runs in the first inning, and then slowly pull away to win.”

4. Pat D says:

So I did my Selig duty and voted all 25 times for the ASG.

Here was my breakdown:
    AL: 1B – Teix 10, Miggy 10, Konerko 5; 2B – Cano 15, Kendrick 5, Zobrist 5; SS – Asdrubal 12, Peralta 12, Jeter 1; 3B – ARod 25; C – Martin 10, Avila 5, Santana 5, Wieters 5; OF – Bautista 25, Grandy 25, Alex Gordon 6, Carlos Quentin 6, Matt Joyce 6, Gardy 6, Melky 1; DH – VMart 10, Billy Butler 9, Damon 6.

NL: 1B – Prince 12, Votto 12, Gaby Sanchez 1; 2B – Weeks 15, Phillips 5, Espinosa 5; SS – Reyes 15, Tulo 10; 3B – Aramis Ramirez 7, Chipper 6, Polanco 6, Chase Headley 6; C – McCann 18, Miguel Montero 7; OF – Kemp 25, Braun 25, McCutchen 25

Notes: On principles, I refuse to vote for anyone wearing a jersey that says “Boston.” I also didn’t bother voting for Pujols since I know he won’t be able to play. I showed undue favoritism to Martin, and the votes for Jeter and Melky were intentionally silly.

5. Esteban says:

Even though they lost today, Mets fans are feeling pretty cocky right now. Makes me want the Yankees to absolutely destroy them this weekend.

6. CC was the man, as he is every time he takes the bump. The man is going to get his money from us, and we get to enjoy him for 6-7 more years.

7. mike c says:

just saw the replay, tex’s #300 was an opposite field bomb… raking

8. King George says:

I must say, I have been to the ballpark a bunch over the past month and I’ve done Internet voting as well. Ballpark and Internet totals have reached nearly 250 ballots. I’m not done, either!

9. Pat D says:

So the NBA is going to lockout and NFL talks are going “backwards,” eh?

10. Esteban says:

Hey I saw that some guy was arguing using BA hrs rbis and r in evaluating Cano vs. Kendrick. That was a funny joke.

11. CP says:

I’ve decided to vote for the all-star roster by going back to 25 separate days equally spaced throughout the season. On each day, I will review the games and decide who was the best player at each position on that day and list them on one of my ballots.

Here is my first ballot (from games on 4/3):

1B: Miguel Cabrera (3-5, 2HR) & Ryan Howard (3-4, HR)
    2B: Howie Kendrick (3-6, 2HR) & Brandon Phillips (3-6, HR)
    SS: Maicer Izturis (3-7, HR) & Starlin Castro (3-4, BB)
    3B: Alberto Callaspo (3-6, HR) & Pedro Alvarez (3-5)
    LF: Alex Gordon (4-6) & Martin Prado (3-5)
    CF: Coco Crisp (3-5) & Jose Tabata (3-5)
    RF: Nick Swisher (3-3, 2 BB) & Hunter Pence (3-4, HR)
    C: Russell Martin (3-4) & Ryan Hannigan (4-4, 2HR, BB)
    DH: Bobby Abreu (5-5, HR)

The Angels and Royals played a 12-9 extra innings game so they’re a bit over represented here, but I’m sure that will even out.

12. Didn’t fill out one ballot. Don’t care.

13. Xstar7 says:

Thank goodness David Cone and Al Leiter will be in the booth for the Subway Series. I don’t know how much more of the Kay-Flaherty super duo I can take.

14. Manimal says:

Not gonna lie, this is pretty awesome.

15. YankeesJunkie says:

If the WBC classic were to take place this year in July would anyone beat a 1st team US squad. IMHO I say no. The US team would look to good on paper.

SP-Roy Halladay

Bench

C-Wieters
    UT-Zobrist
    IF-Beltre
    OF-Gardner
    OF-Ellsbury

You might be wondering why all the relievers are in the pen, but that is just because all the best pitchers are starters so basically any of the first 9 pitchers could be used in relief or starting. The relievers would preferably get the game to the closing duo of Price of Krimbel. The moral of the story is that an “A” US squad crushes the competition in depth wise and would be odds on favorites to beat the Koreans or Japanese.

16. Cy Pettitte says:

DRob on the roids like Charlie Sheen?

• CP says:

If he his, then he needs to work on his cycling so that he peaks in the playoffs rather than the middle of the year like he did in 2009 and this year.

Seriously, though, I think it’s interesting that he’s had an increase in velocity during the season each of the last 3 years (August 2009, Sept 2010, May/June 2011). I’m not sure what the meaning of it is, but I find it interesting.

17. IB6 UB9 says:

With Mitre back, any chance of Girardi going with a 7-man rotation?

18. forensic says:

Kind of surprised there’s no mention here of the Yanks apparently thinking about a six man rotation…

• CS Yankee says:

Might as well try it for a couple of weeks to give the studs some time off & see if the boys (fat & Phil) will return to form. CC gets some rest, and Nova stays stretched out.

I would send Noesi back down to AAA to get him stretched out again or Nova if they don’t want the six-pack of starters.

So, I’m good either way…tough to mess with success (CC, AJ & Garcia…Nova as of late) and risk a dropoff but I’m not sure about putting Nova in the pen and not having him ready if needed or ramping Noesi to be a starter again this year.

19. MannyGeee says:

so Berkman just hit his 2nd homerun tonight…

while we only had him for like 3 months, i REEEALLY miss that guy. there are at least 2 starters on the team today I would frame of a crime if it would bring Puma back.

20. Kramerica Industries says:

The best part of the Yankees’ current stretch is that they’re finally a team that we actually believe can win again.

From July 29, 2010 until the end of their six game losing skid in May, the Yankees were exactly 50-50 over their last 100 regular season games. Since then, they are 28-12 (.700).

Although their inability to win grew strangely after their best stretch of 2010. How they went from an eight game win streak to almost losing eight in a row immediately afterwards. Thank God this is looking like a thing of the past.

21. CMP says:

I can’t believe they brought back that piece of crap Mitre.

The guy is like Herpes. You just can’t get rid of him.

22. Monteroisdinero says:

Chance that David Robertson eventually takes over for Mo when (if ever) the old man calls it quits?

At age 26, I think they are pretty good.

23. Phife Dawg says:

Did anyone hear about the bitchfest John Lackey had last night about Gammon’s comments about that he might need TJS by August?

Pretty stupid though by Gammons. How could you prepare for TJS by continuing to send him out there every five days. Makes no sense.

24. CMP says:

Anyone know what’s going on with ESPNs website?

Did the gates of Hell open and swallow up Bristol?

25. Mark D. says:

CC was dominant today. If it wasn’t for the third inning, he would have thrown a complete game shutout. That inning wasn’t his fault as it started off with Yuniesky Betancourt getting an infield single despite the fact that if Nunez throw was on target he would have been out. He moved to second on a flyout to center field by Kottaras. Then with two outs, Carlos Gomez had two strikes on him and hacked at CC’s pitch which dribbled slow enough to turn into an infield single moving Betancourt to third. The inning didn’t end there, he then walked Ryan Braun to load the bases. He got out of the jam by striking out Fielder. He threw 22 pitches which could have been 15 or even 10. He not only struck people out, but no one had good contact, every hit by the Brewers was a single and they barely hit it anything to the outfield. He controlled this game, and he could have had a better day with better luck.
    He is getting hot, and if continues to pitch like this, CC is going to rack up alot of wins with because of the run support he receives. He pitches deep into games, so even the Yankees take the lead late in the game there is a good chance he is still pitching thus receiving the win.

26. JobaWockeeZ says:

I went down the shore and for the lulz I listened to sports radio. I have learned form Mike Francesa that Burnett, an injured Hughes and Nova are better than Wandy Rodriguez, Dan Haren and Hiroki Kuroda.

I have also learned that Jose Reyes won’t get even close to Carl Crawford’s contract. He’ll be closer to a contract like A-ROD’s. I wish every profession hired idiots so I don’t have to pay for college.

• MannyGeee says:

well son, heres a lesson for you.

you need to go to college to GET the jobs… but in order to get promoted, you need to be an idiot.

you’re welcome

27. Nuke Ladoosh says:

Holy Shiat. I missed the game, was updated on smartphone gameday and the game thread. How awesome was CC. And Booney?

28. Xstar7 says:

Wandy Rodriguez just pitched 7 shutout innings against the Rangers. Now his season ERA is down to 2.97.