Jun

Open Thread: The Old Timers’ Day Roster

(Photo Credit: Flickr user bump via Creative Commons license)

The 2011 edition of Old Timers’ Day will take place ten days from now on Sunday, June 26th. Earlier today we learned that Bernie Williams will be there, and earlier this year we heard that both Joe Torre and Lou Piniella will be there as well. The full roster of attendees was released today and can be seen here. Aside from those three, other first timers include Clay Bellinger, Brian Boehringer, George Frazier, and former first base coach Jose Cardenal. Here’s a fun fact: three Old Timers (Aaron Small, Homer Bush, and Ramiro Mendoza) are younger than Mariano Rivera. Crazy.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. The Mets are playing the Braves (Dickey vs. Minor) and MLB Network will carry a game as well (teams depend on where you live). That’s it, the NBA and NHL seasons are over. Talk about whatever your heart desires, go nuts.

Joba Update: Joba Chamberlain had his Tommy John surgery, and he tweeted afterward that everything went well. Based on his feed over the last few days, he seems to be in pretty good spirits considering how much an injury like that sucks.

Categories : Open Thread

• Brian says:

I always laugh when I’m looking at the gameday boxscore and it says “Dickerson in hole” (when he’s been on the team)

1. Doo Man says:

If I played for the Major Leagues, I would lead the league on face on balls.

2. Pat D says:

I’m free, I’m free!

I don’t have to listen to anyone whine about the cell phones for the next 4 weeks!!!

3. DSFC says:

So, the 30 year interval means it’s now safe for George Frazier to show his face in Yankee Stadium again? Thanks for the ’81 Series, George.

• tom says:

Ah — another person old enough to remember?

I was actually in the stands for the last game of that series. At least, until about the 8th inning. When Winfield didn’t even bother leaping for a ball that went into the left field seats, I knew he’d given up, so I did, as well.

4. iloveyoubartolo says:

Cory Wade, primary lefty?

5. Stratman9652 says:

Clicked on the link where Brett Gardner is trending on twitter and got this:

“ChrisInBuffalo:
    Brett Gardner is trending? Probably because he is almost 100% balding by the age of 26 and he is a total loser. #GoRedSox”

Has this guy never seen Dustin Pedroia?

6. Will (the other one) says:

Did anybody see that story on Chris Synder, who’s apparently catching for the Pirates these days? Evidently his wife was attacked by some crazy scooter-riding guy while they were driving around together, and he couldn’t even get out of the car to help her because he’d just had back surgery.

Poor bastard. As if fracturing a testicle isn’t bad enough, you know?

7. V says:

Well, this Sox Rays game is off to an inauspicious start. Pedroia watched two 2-strike strikes and each were called balls.

8. Greg says:

Biggest fear is that Boston trades for Reyes.

9. Doo Man says:

Is it true that they Gene Michael “Stick” because his weiner looks like a drumstick?
    (Mine does.)

10. Pat D says:

Price just plunked Youkilis to load the bases.

Naturally the benches were warned.

Good job, umps.

11. Nigel Incubator-Jones says:

Hey any other west coast-ers getting blacked out east coast games airing on the MLB channel? I think I’ve gone to watch a game 3 times in the last few weeks, including today’s game, and got the “not available in your area” message.

I have Directv, which could have something to do with it as well.

• Pat D says:

I have DirecTV as well. All of a sudden any game that’s aired on MLBN is being blacked out. I can still see the games they show with the local feeds on the Extra Innings channels, unless it’s a Phillies game, because I live in that area and all Phillies games are blacked out.

• JohnnyC says:

That’s a funny name there. Jones. Who thought that one up?

• Pat D says:

Monty Python.

• JohnnyC says:

He’s really funny. I’ve seen all of his movies.

• I have a dream of starting a magazine called “Upperclass Twit”. Huge moneymaking potential.

• Nigel Incubator-Jones says:

True.. Upperclass Twit of the Year. You can look it up.

Also, taking my own advice I searched on the MLBN blackouts and found this somewhere:

“No error. This is the way its always worked with MLB Network when they have 2 games splitting the nation. Directv puts one game on 213 and the other on 214. You get the game thats assigned to your market and the other is blacked out.”

Not sure this has always been the case since I have never looked for a game on 214, and only recently have I seen the blackout message. But I guess it’s worth a try next time they have 2 games.

Thanks though Pat, for letting me know it’s not just me. Often it is.

12. The BIG 3 says:

Based on games played, to date, the Red Sox and Yankees are the two best teams in baseball, but with the Red Sox owning a substantial advantage over the Yankees given their H2H matchups.

My biggest concern (other than that), is how this team will fare once the AS break completes, and they’re on the road far more often than they have been, even though they have the 2nd best road record in baseball.

What are your thoughts on that road record? Is it a mirage; good timing, or is it for real. And if it’s for real, why?

13. first time lawng time says:

Yankees have been fun to watch lately. Since that 6 game lose streak they have gone 19-6 not including Boston.

So it’s obviously not just the Red Sox who “just won’t lose.”

14. I own MLB 11 The Show, and they have a feature that allows you to do a fantasy draft for a franchise. As a joke with a buddy of mine, I picked the Indians. These were my results:

C – Matt Wieters
    1B – Gaby Sanchez
    2B – Brian Roberts
    SS – Stephen Drew
    3B – A-Rod
    LF – Logan Morrison (really underrated player, gonna be a star one day)
    CF – BJ Upton
    RF – Jason Heyward

My rotation is Josh Johnson, Michael Pineda, Madison Bumgarner, Rick Porcello, and Jordan Lyles.

Not bad for a joke team, haha.

15. Greg says:

Reyes is on fire. He just giot a triple and has gotten to 100 hits faster than any Met.

16. kevin says:

Listen to baseball today on espn.com and u will love robin ventura

17. bonestock94 says:

To our spanish speaking members. Are Ozzie Guillen’s spanish tweets articulate, or equally confusing as his english ones?

18. BadaBling says:

Mets just lost on a walk-off balk, HA!!!

19. Pat D says:

So…JC Romero? Worth it? Still getting out lefties this year.

20. mike c says:

jason giambi should be an honorary old timer this year… is that series the first time that he’s been back to NY?

21. Reggie C. says:

MONEYBALL movie trailer finally hit the interwebs today.

Brad Pitt as Billy Beane. I think I saw David Justice as himself in the A’s club house. Some dude is playing Scott Hatteburg. Jonah Hill playing someone who i think is supposed to be JP Riccardi. Its apparently an Aaron Sorkin script … and since i’m a fan of West Wing and most recently – THE SOCIAL NETWORK – i’m probably going to really like this movie.