Jun

Saying the Right Thing, Part 2

A quick question: If you didn’t enjoy part one of this series, why are you reading part two?

To quickly summarize before I get back into the nitty gritty of this extremely important topic, complaining is a key part of being a fan of any sports team, and a sports team as good as the Yankees requires a double-dose of this skill. There are a lot of different things to complain about, but the key is to know what to talk about when and what to complain about when. Generally, immediacy is key: complain about lineups when lineups are posted, complain about Francisco Cervelli when he throws the ball into center field, and so on. Yesterday I covered hitters and today I’ll round up the other important stuff.

Letting Runs Score

When you’re being paid as much as these guys are and you only have one job, you better do it damn well. If your job is to not let people score, you better not let them score. It doesn’t matter that the average ERA is around 3. No Yankees pitcher should ever allow any runs. To do so is to invite scorn on yourself. There is a notable correlation between money and scorn – all CC showings that are not shutouts are automatic failures, whereras giving Ivan Nova a couple runs of leeway before calling himself failure is okay.

Pitching Changes

This is an easy fallback for when the game is going slowly – every pitching change is wrong. Every. Single. One. There is never a right choice. It’s not like pitchers shouldn’t be taken out of the game, just that it should always be at a different time. Robertson with two on and no out? Leave the starter in to get out of it. Ayala to start the sixth? Should be Marquez. Mo in the ninth? Bartolo Colon should have stayed in. Burnett takes a hard loss? He should have come out earlier. Boone Logan at any point in time, ever? Wrong. Noesi? Why is he in the pen at all?

Developing Starting Pitching

Is Hector Noesi starting? No? He should be. He is? Don’t rush the starters! No matter what the front office does, it’s always wrong. No matter how successful things are, they could always be better. Brian Gordon gives a great start? Noesi should have started. Noesi throws a great start? He should have been called up earlier! This is a great topic because it is always relevant, even when CC or AJ is on the bump. Starting pitching is necessary for the current and the future of the team, so this is a great complaint for anytime. Off day? Offseason? Blowout win? This is the complaint of choice.

Throwing Balls During Blowouts

When you’re up 11-0 in the eigth, all you need is to get outs. When you can’t even get players to swing at your pitches, it’s enraging. The players are ready to shower, the fans have other stuff to do, and you can’t even get a guy to put a ball in play. Plus, the offending pitcher risks requiring the use of an important pitcher. Seriously. And that’s all I have to say about that.

Weekend Writers

They suck.

Categories : Whimsy

1. Oliver says:

Quick question: if part one was garbage why are you posting part two?

Say there’s a homeless guy taking a dump on the sidewalk out front of your office building. The don’t like it, don’t read is argument is weaker than weak.

I’d wager that you don’t like seeing the Yankees lose games but you still watch the game hoping that the result on any given day isn’t a waste of your time.

Same concept applies with your posts.

• Joel says:

Ignore Oliver. He’s very, very dumb.

• The Raging Platypus says:

Yeeesh, who pee’d in your cheerios this morning?

• Kiersten says:

Quick question: Why are people such assholes?

• Pat D says:

It’s easy to be an asshole.

It’s much harder to be a decent, tolerant, respectful human being.

And the anonymity of the internet makes it so much easier to be an asshole.

• Oliver says:

One could accurately argue that Hannah is being just as big an asshole as some of her critics are. She has developed some sort of arbitrary guidelines as to how Yankee fans should behave and has really pushed those through this series of posts. For a blog community made up of so many people who push equality for all types of races, religions and sexual orientations, I wouldn’t expect so much intolerance.

• Drew says:

Do you not see the blog is tagged “Whimsy” it’s not suppose to be taken seriously. I read Hannahs posts every weekend, and sure enough every weekend there is some moron who just bashes it just to bash it. You’re untitled to your own opinion but you’re just being a dick for the sake of being a dick.

• Oliver says:

So just because “whimsy” is stuck on the end of a post, it magically makes shit not stink?

That reasoning is the same as the person who uses a horribly inappropriate racial slur when describing you and then adds “no offense” at the end to make it excusable and legitimate.

• That’s because people of all races, colors, creeds, religions, sexualities, genders, etc, can be Yankees fans, but poorly timed complaining is totally unacceptable and is only done by an inferior breed of people.

• Skye says:

U MAD!

• first time lawng time says:

What didn’t you like about it? Be specific.

• Oliver says:

I did not like that she included allof the weekend writers in her final claim that all weekend writers suck. I rather enjoyed Stephen’s post examining Cano’s OBP.

• jimbo says:

I agree. This column sucks. I dont really know what she was going for, but it didnt work

• Rip says:

While Oliver is a bit abrasive in his comments, he’s right. I’m not a fan of Hannah’s posts because they’re frequently overly opinionated and condescending. Frankly I don’t understand how she has a job here.

• bgeary says:

Maybe, just maybe, she’s opinionated because she’s paid to give her opinion? I don’t know, just spitballing.

• Rip says:

So because she writes for a blog we’re supposed care about her thoughts on what “true fans” are supposed to wear and how they’re supposed to act? Opinions on the game or a trade are one thing, acting like she’s the authority of all that is right and wrong is another. It’s pure arrogance.

I come to this site for Yankees analysis, not Hannah’s cocky opinions.

2. buckfunts says:

Cervelli’s just trying to deke the runner into going to 3B so Granderson can throw him out.

3. The Upset Stomach of Kevin Youkilis says:

Love it. Brilliant.

4. Urban says:

This is an outrage. You’re insulting us! : -)

Good work, as usual.

5. nycsportzfan says:

Thats why u say the things before they happen, that way its not looked at like Hindsight.. Then if you were right, u can say what u want.. Like if your on a Messege Board and u think AJ BURNETT should come out, then u say it right then, and if he stays in and gets lambasted, u can talk trash all u want, and if he gets the job done, then u say u were wrong, its pretty simple, no???

• Urban says:

Not necessarily. Most won’t admit they’re wrong, they’ll slink off and wait for inevitable failure before showing up again to try and claim they were right. In baseball, someone can always take the negative, (he won’t get a hit, he sucks!) and claim victory because it’s a sport built around lots of failure. It doesn’t make the opinion any more valid. I judge an opinion if it’s based on fact or reasoned analysis. It it’s based on emotion, or an unwillingness to look at the facts, I’ll reject it and attack it. Many fans opinions are emotion and prejudice.

6. karcotte says:

You should always go to Mo in the 9th. Unless of course you shouldn’t, in which case you shouldn’t.

7. first time lawng time says:

3 things.

1. Is tge ERA league average really 3? Because I always thought that it was really good to have an ERA of 3. Thought 4 was the averge.

2. The part about blowouts: I actually find it acceptable to bitch about pitchers walking guys. They’re obviously trying an nt doing it on purpose, but I think it’s okay to get frustrated.

3. Why do people complain about the weekend writers so much? It’s a fucking blog not the New York Times. People need to not take things so seriously. Get over it. If you don’t like the post, don’t read it. Or, say what you don’t like about it in a polite manner. Not, “Hannah you suck!”. Seriously. And for the record, there are posts by the regulars that I don’t like and posts by weekend writers I don’t like. It has nothing to do with the author, just that I think it’s a dumb post. (this is not directed to this post, just a general statement)

• Urban says:

League-average ERA is not 3.00. That’s very good. A few years a go it was tremendous. In 1968 it wasn’t all that spectacular. I believe the league-average ERA is around 3.75 this year, give or take, and it was well over 4.00 a few years ago, so your perception is correct.

I agree. Frustration is fine. It’s part of the game. Despite what I wrote directly above, emotion is totally part of the game, and I fall victim to getting annoyed, angry, pissed off, etc. It’s the people who continue it. They have the same faulty opinions and never want to try and learn.

The weekend writers are good. Some people like to complain for the fun of it, and might even be regulars contributing to the weekend writier meme. Some people are trying to get a reaction. Some people are just dumb.

• Yankonymous says:

Or could it be at all possible some people only have time to post on Sundays because they are too busy during the rest of the week. But that couldn’t possibly be a factor, since Urban here, back from his weekly excursion from the Schengen areas, has time to post, so why wouldn’t the rest of us?

8. Meat Loaf says:

One of my favorite posts on this site.

9. Yankonymous says:

I absolutely agree with the writer. No one should ever complain about the Yankees, ever! They always do the right thing and if it appears they don’t, it just cause you’re too stupid to understand the long term strategy that they’re employing.

This goes the same with America and your company.

• first time lawng time says:

I think the point Hannah is trying to make is that while it’s okay to complain, people should not take it to the extreme and be obnoxious.

• Yankonymous says:

Really, cause what I’m getting is, you shouldn’t complain about anything because the Yanks are a 39-29 team with a +80 run differential (from part 1).

As a long time reader of this blog, seems like a large majority of comments derive from some complaint or another about the Yanks. If the suggestion from this post is, “don’t complain,” well, the site might just lose a bit of revenue…

• bgeary says:

I think the point is that people are often irrational when complaining and it’s funny. Does everyone see that? It’s funny when people get all worked up about a game they have no control whatsoever over.

If you can’t handle someone having a little fun at your expense then just move on. Not everyone is going to kiss your ass and tell you that you’re a great Yankee fan because you care so much. We all say stupid things, this is about laughing at them.

• CMP says:

I know you’re being sacastic but it is true that there are more than a handful of commenters on this site who defend the Yankees no matter what move they make and criticize those who complain from a position of being “more enlightened” than those complaining.

On the other hand, there are those who criticize the Yankees no matter what they do if the outcome isn’t to their standards.

All in all, I guess it all balances out.

• Yankonymous says:

But finding fault in a fan who wants the Yanks to be “perfect” (by their own standards) is a fault in itself, no?

Why can’t the writer do as she suggests herself, if you don’t like the complaint, don’t read it!

10. Tom Zig says:

Some of the complaints are legitimate though. Like developing starting pitching.

11. first time lawng time says:

“Boone Logan at any point in time, ever? Wrong.”

umm correction: Boone Logan should never come out unless it’s a blowout.

12. King George says:

I’m not going to be rude about these articles because I always learned not criticize someone’s writing, especially opinion pieces. But sometimes I don’t get these pieces. Maybe it’s just me. It’s hard to see someone’s perspective regarding what not to wear to a baseball game at Yankee Stadium, when they themselves haven’t been in two years as she, herself, stated in her “What To Wear To Yankee Stadium” piece. The motivation, at least for me personally, is unknown to me in this article. Hannah is obviously a great writer and she clearly exhibits intelligence, but sometimes it’s hard for me to identify with what she’s saying.

• Yankonymous says:

I do agree with you. To me, it comes across as an attempt at thought policing the posters on this board, to create a homogeneous, sychophantic fan base.

You know, this is what the Nazi’s did in the beginning.

• Pat D says:

Do you watch Glenn Beck or something?

• Yankonymous says:

Not really, though I’ve heard of him. I don’t watch much TV.

• Pat D says:

OK. Just because he likes to draw parallels and comparisons to the Nazis and Nazism about anything and everything, no matter what it is.

• Yankonymous says:

I see. You can just easily say Communists in this scenario as well.

Anyone post telling you what to think, what to wear, what to post, deserves condemnation.

• Jerome S. says:

• Cult of Basebaal says:

Jesus, my brain needs a shower after this post …

Strewth.

• bexarama says:

Nazis? Really? Jesus Christ, it’s a post about a sports team.

• Yankonymous says:

First they came for the trolls,
          I did not speak out because I am not a troll

Then they came for the fans who had names on the back of their jerseys
          I did not speak out because I do not own such a jersey.

Then they came for the traditional statisticians
          I did not speak out because I believe there may be value in sabermetrics.

Then they came for the complainers.
          I did not speak out because I am not a complainer

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

13. CP says:

Ther are two things I can’t stand in this world. People who complain about the Yankees, and the Dutch.

14. Rob says:

you forgot about complaining about the announcers

15. Martin says:

I agree with this ppost whyy cuz not just some time but most of the time tge manager cant manage remember when bertolo was pitching the nice game with 89 pitchest in the 8th and wee need to used 4 more pitchers cut mariano blew it and than the next day aj was getting spanked and with over 100 pitchest and he stayed in the game cuz the realivers where unnecesary used the night b4 i beliv any of us guy can manage better than him and how the fuk we got swept twice by bongtown

16. BobK says:

I presume that when Hannah started down this road she had an end goal in mind; I keep reading in the hope that one of these days she reaches that foreseen end locale. I view it in the same way I view those poor bastard Red Sox fans– the fun is in the futility and frustration of the journey. As soon as they won the 2004 Series, everything changed. I suspect that we may have 100 years of weekend Hannah pieces and never suffer that fate.

• first time lawng time says:

OMG someone wrote article you don’t like on a blog site. THE HORROR!!!

It’s not a big deal.

• Yankonymous says:

BobK seems to me like someone who is engaged to RAB as some are to the Yankees. Why is that such a bad thing? I would think the owners of this forum welcome that. He’s passionate about a blog that he frequents, and given a forum, he displays that passion.

I rather enjoyed his take on the parallels between this writer’s articles and Red Sox fans. I felt much the same as he does about Sox fans pre-2004, and am glad someone else in this crazy world does too.

17. #24!!!! says:

Just as funny as yesterday!

18. NyGuy says:

I didn’t read this article so I wouldn’t complain

19. Eduardo (My Left Nunez) says:

Speaking of whimsy, anyone been watching my fielding?

20. pinebarrens says:

the problem is there’s a bunch of morons out there.

21. Heather says:

This is such a great site, except when Hannah posts. What gives her the right to tell us what we can wear or say? Why are ugly people like her (I’ve seen her picture on twitter) so judgmental?