Jul

Cashman: Chavez will return Tuesday, Soriano Wednesday or Thursday

Via Ian Begley, Brian Cashman said today that Eric Chavez will be activated off the disabled list on Tuesday. Rafael Soriano will pitch again tomorrow after pitching today, then he’ll be activated either Wednesday or Thursday. Chavez played his sixth rehab game today and he’s hit well (.333 with two doubles and a homer), but that means nothing. The important thing is that he’s healthy. Soriano hasn’t been great in rehab, but again, it’s all about his health. As long he’s throwing well, the rest should fall into place.

Cashman also said that Alex Rodriguez is progressing well in his rehab from knee surgery, and he could be back as soon as the second week of August. They’re not going to push it though, they have enough offense and a big enough lead in the wildcard race. A-Rod will be back when he’s ready.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. teddy says:

whats chavez role gotta be

2. Cuso says:

Chavez! Nice. It’s not like he’d have to play every day anways. But his return is good timing. Looking forward to having another legit bat around.

3. Bryan L says:

Cervelli fist pump

4. mkrozansky says:

Nice knowin’ you Laird

5. Phife Dawg says:

Welcome back Chavy. Adios, Brenduardo Nulaird.

6. JobaWockeeZ says:

Bye bye Mitre. Bye bye Logan in important spots in the 8th inning.

7. Jack Merridew says:

Great. Chavez can take over at 3rd, Nunez back to fill in and pinch runner. Soriano back to the 8th, Robertson back to ace reliever getting out of jams in the 6th and 7th. And as mentioned above, that means less Boone Logan because you aren’t lifting Robertson for Logan even against lefties, not even Joe is that dumb.

8. “He’s in a pool. He’s on a bike. (He’s) still got a little bit of a limp, which is normal. But I’d be looking at him (returning) maybe the second week of August, you know, at the earliest for me,” Cashman said. “That’s just us being conservative. I think we can push it and get him back sooner but, why? Our offense is strong.”

That’s unpossible, Brian, I was specifically told our offense now blows and we must go get Carlos Beltran or we are hopelessly screwed in the forthcoming ALDS where we will lose in an unprecedented two-game sweep.

• jsbrendog says:

dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed!!

am i doing it right?

• Xstar7 says:

Carlos Beltran? Screw that, let’s trade Jesus and the Killer B’s for Albert Pujols. This team’s main concern is pitching, but our offense is soooooooooooo bad.

Adrian Gonzalez would do this trade. I’m being very serious.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I’m pretty sure you wanted Beltran earlier in the year. At least before Swish started hitting again and the BABIP gods answered Posada’s prayers.

• I wanted Beltran if (and only if) he was going to cost nothing but money. I thought it was a cheap way to add a bat to lengthen the lineup without sacrificing anything for the future.

I wanted Beltran (like I wanted K-Rod) only if he was low-hanging fruit, not because I ever felt that he was “needed” in any way.

Once it became clear that Alderson was empowered to eat salary to get a better prospect return, my calls for Beltran ceased.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Ahhh…fair enough. I came to a similar conclusion but for different reasons. The demand for Beltran increased, and that in it of itself was enough to make me not want him, but also Nick Swisher turned it on. Beltran’s too good to be a 4th OF and split times with other players, and if they want to improve the DH role there’s an easy enough solution available to them. Beltran would be very very very useful, but not a need at this point.

9. KenC says:

push arod back to come faster! Who cares if he sucks coming back, the lineup just looks like crap without him in it -.- and we need his presence!

10. OBdaddy says:

I’m in Scranton and was at the game today. Soriano got here late because the limo driver took him to Trenten.He pitched the 7th,18pitches,first guy he faced homered. Looked like he needs more work

• Soriano got here late because the limo driver took him to Trenton.

Who was driving him, Lloyd Christmas?

• jsbrendog says:

but at this point we don’t know if he is actually trying to get people out as if it were a real game situation or just working on repeating his delivery and solidifying his mechanics again before he comes back after having not pitched for a long time.

granted, it is possible he continues to suck, but i am praying to mo he comes back and is LIGHTS OUT, like historically so so that he opts out to go close for a the reds or someone

• Brooklyn Ed says:

I call that midseason form.

• Monteroisdinero says:

He needs a better driver-not that Takeshita guy that Igawa hired to drive him to the wrong stadium.

But Surly-ano take-a-no-shita.

11. Bob Michaels says:

I`d platoon Nunez abd Chavez, perhaps a little dh for the weak hitting Pos man. Soriano woill be headed for TJ surgery before too long

12. Ana says:

Aww yay! So excited for the return of Chavez. Soriano as well, I just hope he doesn’t get automatically plugged into high-lev situations at D-Rob’s expense.

• I just hope he doesn’t get automatically plugged into high-lev situations at D-Rob’s expense.

I hope Soriano just regains his normal level of effectiveness (i.e., “dominant LIPS reliever”), and if putting him in a role of comfort and regularity is the best way to do that (and it probably is), so be it.

• Ana says:

Of course I hope Soriano regains maximum effectiveness as well – I’d just hate to see Robertson lose high-lev innings considering the season he’s had. Best case scenario is that Soriano comes back, throws well, and it’s a win-win in terms of who we throw in tight spots.

• MikeD says:

What are you determining to be the high-leverage situations. D-Rob will be more helpful, and have more high-leverage opportunities being available for the 6th and 7th innings.

While the closer role is unique, somehow people have come to believe that the 8th inning is a more important role, or has more high-leverage opportunities than the seventh inning. This is not correct.

I have no problem with Soriano taking over the 8th inning. I want him to regain his effectivness. D-Rob can also pitch more than one inning (Soriano seems to have issues pitching more than an inning), so he can help the Yankees from the sixth inning forward.

13. yankee_lover says:

robertson is the 8th inning guy hands down soriano jus makes me happy cause now i get 2 c less blown logan

14. Monteroisdinero says:

Odds on Chavez making it through the rest of the season without another dl stint?

/better if Nunez keeps playing

• Evan3457 says:

The odds of Chavez making it through the rest of the season without another DL stint are excellent if they don’t play him at all.

Not 100% mind you, but…excellent

• MikeD says:

The odds of Nunez not making another fielding error or mental error are very high too if they cease playing him.

Also not 100%. I’m pretty sure Nunez is capable of making a fielding error even while sitting on the bench.

15. rklanza says:

“They have enough offense”???