Jul

Fan Confidence Poll: July 4th, 2011

Record Last Week: 5-1 (35 RS, 10 RA)
Season Record: 50-32 (433 RS, 312 RA, 54-28 pythag. record), two up in loss column
Opponents This Week: @ Indians (three games, Mon. to Weds.), vs. Rays (four games, Fri. to Sun.)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. Nuke LaDoosh says:

Mike, Did you see the article on realignment by Tracy Ringolsby in the most recent BA? Drop to 28 teams, 4 divisions of 7, 28 man rosters, shorter regular season, 2 additional playoff teams. It made a lot of sense to me…which means it will never happen. I say if they are willing to make the changes, something radical like this is the way to go rather than tinker and leave flaws…

• Mike Axisa says:

Didn’t see it. Expanding the rosters to 28 would actually create jobs despite cutting two teams (50 lost, 84 created, net game of 34 players), so the union should be happy with that. The owners won’t go for a shorter season though, fewer games means less money.

28 man rosters is also a little nuts, I think. Are they going to have 14 man bullpens or something? It’s hard enough to get the 12th man regular work as it is now.

• CP says:

I think the union would argue (probably correctly) that the 26-28th man would be a low paid backup and that wouldn’t make up for losing 32-36 starting position players and 20 starting pitchers.

And I don’t understand the push for a shorter regular season. If you’re concerned about how late the playoffs run, then eliminat some (or most) of the travel days in the playoffs – make teams use their 5th starter.

• Nuke Ladoosh says:

Good catch / my bad – he recommended 27 man rosters to get players association aligned with contracting TB and A’s. The baseball part of my brain is fixated on the number 28 for some strange reason. I liked the 4 7team regional divisions he suggests. Its a free content article.

2. first time lawng time says:

Well our 8 man lineup is back this week…but improved defense as well.

Also, anyone notice how Rivera is kinda crappy on the road? He’s never given up a run at home but on thnroad he has like 4 BS and and ERA of I think 4. Kinda strange.

Also, if Hughes sucks when he returns, they should stick him in the bullpen.

• Grit For Brains says:

2011 Mariano Rivera

Home ERA – 0.00
      Road ERA – 4.85

Home xFIP – 2.95
      Road xFIP – 3.00

• Dropped Third Superstar says:

Yea give him three starts and if he blows, shove him the pen at least for the rest of the season to replace joba and give us depth. I’m keeping my fingers crossed he can return close to 2010 form.

• The BIG 3 says:

1. 9 man

2. No, not really. Although in just 13 road IP this year his results have been poor.

3. He actually has given up a run at home, just not in 20 IP this year yet.

4. Not strange, just small samples.

5. No they shouldn’t.

• first time lawng time says:

1. I was taking a shot at Jeter and how he’s almost automatic out (or two)
        2. Well if his results were poor then that means he hasn’t been good, regardless of the sample size
        3. …I obviously was talking about this year
        4. Well he wasn’t this bad on the road thus far last year
        5. Why not? What’s the use of having an ineffective starter when he could be if better use elsewhere?

• bexarama says:

I was taking a shot at Jeter and how he’s almost automatic out (or two)

Nunez went 7-for-8 in the series and still has a lower OBP than Jeter

• first time lawng time says:

I don’t care. I thought we were all in agreement that Jeter now sucks offensively, as long ad he is at the top of the lineup.

• bexarama says:

He does suck offensively, and he shouldn’t be batting first. But calling him an auto out is not accurate, especially when you’re praising a player with a lower OBP

• first time lawng time says:

I wasn’t praising anyone, although I will admit I have more faith with Nuñez up rather than Jeter.

An the auto out was meant to be taken light heartedly, not literally and to be analyzed.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

b4 Nunez went 7-8 in the series wasn’t he 6-33 or something along those lines?

3. JohnnyC says:

I see John Henry and Larry Lucchino voted 1-no confidence as usual.

4. The BIG 3 says:

Upping to defcon 8, which may not be what any of you should want. Since I have a habit of jumping on or off bandwagons at absolute peaks and valleys, it’s probably not good that I’ve become impressed enough with Colon and Garcia – and Hughes being thought enough of to cause the demotion of Nova instead of giving Hughes a few more AAA starts – that the starting 5 are no longer a serious issue with me. In fact, CC, Colon, AJ, Garcia and Hughes make for a very formidable staff.

5. bonestock94 says:

7, although a few solid Hughes starts can get me to an 8. Things have been going pretty well lately

6. Jon says:

You have to be pretty confident in this team. Pitching has been much better than expected and maybe Hughes will help out when he returns for the DL.

7. CMP says:

Granderson just made himself an extra $1 million onto his 2013 team option by making the all star team. He’ll add another $1 million if he finished top 5 in the AL MVP voting.

8. a.hinds says:

i never really understood this thing. what are we being asked? we are confidence that the team will win the world series the next two years?…. confident they will make it to the playoffs? overall future is very very vague.

if you mean are you confident that yankees wont suck i can always answer 10 because i cannot see this team winning 70 games, ever. not with its resources.

so if someone could explain this to me thanks.

would a ten be win the world series, a nine; they will get there but maybe not win. an eight; loose alcs ….. and so on and so forth?i

9. Jimmy McNulty says:

Still at a five. The team’s playing well, but I didn’t go down after the injuries or losses to Boston…so I’m not going to change now. I will say that I am fully confident in Cashman’s abilities to correctly run a major league franchise, as well as everyone in the FO. Newman, Oppenheimer, and even Leviene (in his ability to do HIS job, not Cashman or anyone else’s). I’m also digging the on field management and coaching staff. As much as I hated Sergio Mitre, I did like the move of bringing him back. He’s a marginal upgrade over Buddy, and even blowouts late innings can mean something.

I am concerned that they are rushing Hughes back, I’d like to see him make another start or two in Scranton. Can Colon stay healthy? Well if he can pitch like he did a few days ago but over 100ish pitches then he’ll be just fine. I’m a bit puzzled as to their approach with Noesi and Nova, it seems like Nova’s the one you want in the bullpen and Noesi starting in Scranton. Oh well.

10. David, Jr. says:

Defined as for this year, I am at 9.

Not many negatives. Just starter matchups in a short series, and not even that bad there.

All kinds of positives. Colon returned and looked super. Hughes and Jeter returning. Nunez proved he is at least quality depth. Terrific pitching depth – Nova in AAA, who would be a 3rd starter for most teams.