Jul

Getting to know you, getting to know all about you

Which Yankee would do the best on Jeopardy? Who on the Bombers is the snazziest dresser? Loudest on the plane? Biggest card shark? Behold these answers and more in Dan Barbarisi excellent glimpse at the life of the Yankees. The Wall Street Journal scribe surveyed 18 Yankees on a variety of topics, and for once, we learn a little bit more about our favorite players. Of course, Nick Swisher and Joba Chamberlain are the most boisterous on team flights, and of course, Francisco Cervelli takes the longest to get cleaned up after games. But Mark Teixeira, brainiac? That surprised me.

The funniest part involved Jorge Posada. Named the slowest Yankee by his teammates, the DH did not take too kindly to it. “I’m not the slowest runner here. I’m just telling you right now,” he growled at Barbarisi. Plus, if you read it, you’ll find out why the Yankees reacquired Sergio Mitre and which outfielder could be a future politician. While we wait for baseball games to return, it’s a fun read.

Categories : Asides, Whimsy

1. Mister D says:

Mark Teixera was raised in Baltimore, in the era of Cal Ripken, and yet he chose to idolize Don Mattingly. OF COURSE he’s a brainiac!

2. icebird753 says:

If only Kyle Farnsworth were still a Yankee..he would unanimously win the “who would you want on your side in a fight” question

3. tom says:

Great article.

The least surprising result was Curtis Granderson as class president/future politician. I know there’s always the risk of sounding patronizing when you refer to a black player as articulate or intelligent, but…geez…I can’t remember another player, of any ethnic group, whose post-game interviews have come close to his for conciseness and judgment — all presented with seemingly genuine amiability. People with those gifts are often propelled into leadership, whether they initially seek it or not.

• Oscar Gamble's 'Fro says:

I’m totally with you on Curtis, Tom. When word first dropped that he was coming to the Yanks, I immdiately thought of that classic Tribe Called Quest lyric. It just seems to fit so perfectly for the Grandy Man.

4. hogsmog says:

Ok, this was good. I now respect Mitre.

• Oscar Gamble's 'Fro says:

He still sucks, but it would be great to keep him around for the next series against the Sox.

And like I said in the other thread, Cervelli’s stock drops even lower.

• CMP says:

All Mitre’s shitty pitching would be forgotten if he throws a beat down on Pedroia or Youkalis.

• Oscar Gamble's 'Fro says:

Yup, yup, CM. I’d also give him a clean slate for laying the smack down on Big Cry Baby Ortiz. Lifetime pass if he can somehown get Beckett or Papelbon involved and open up a can of whoop ass.

• Brian S. says:

Please, please let this happen.

5. Steve says:

I think the most surprising was A Rod didn’t win the best at cards category

6. Johnny Nitro says:

Jorgie kinda threw Swisher under the bus there. What a bitch.

• hogsmog says:

Yeah, I have learned a lot of things this season. Most of them being ways in which Posada can be a bitch.

7. Johnny Nitro says:

Which Yankee’s finger would you like to smell?

Winner: Derek Jeter
    Runner-up: Nick Swisher
    Last place: Jorge Posada

8. AaronGuielWithASmile says:

It all makes sense now. Sergio Mitre is bullying Joe Girardi, that’s why he keeps getting into games.

Seriously, Girardi can let Mitre pitch in every remaining game this season as long as he gets into one brawl with Boston. That’s how badly I want to see someone kick Dustin Pedroia in the head.

9. AaronGuielWithASmile says:

By the way, am I the only person who thought that the funniest part of this article was the writer’s mistaken notion that anyone would want A-Rod to be their second in a fight?

10. dkidd says:

sergio mitre is to pitching as tie domi is to skating