Jul

Mets ship K-Rod to Brewers

Via MLBTR, the Mets have traded closer Francisco Rodriguez to the Brewers for two players to be named later. Nice of them to wait until after the All-Star Game to announce the deal. Anyway, K-Rod was on the Yankees’ radar as a potential trade target: He was reportedly open to a deal to the Bronx, and Ben made the case for him last month. That option is clearly off the table now. Fantasy managers should look at Bobby Parnell for saves as he is likely to become the next Mets’ closer.

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. Huge surprise. Hopefully we make a move soon, be it in the LHSP or LHRP department.

2. Xstar7 says:

Did not see that coming. Well, it’s an upgrade over Axford.

3. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

The Brewers must really be serious about winning this year. Wow.

4. MikeD says:

Be interesting to see what they do with K-Rod. My guess is he becomes the set-up man. No way they’ll let that vesting option for nearly $18 million kick in.

5. Pants Lendleton says:

Some random dude on a mets message board I frequent from time to time actually out scooped the msm on this one.

Claimed he had a inside source during the all star game … Of course they called him out on it thus turning it into a hilarious thread.

6. Jimmy McNulty says:

I read that the Mets can’t offer Betran arbitration after this year, is there any truth to this?

7. Brooklyn Ed says:

what’s odd about this trade is, I thought K-Rod said he doesn’t wanna set up? hmm…

8. JobaWockeeZ says:

Now that’s a ninja deal.

• mike c says:

the mets gave an $18M past-his-prime closer to a team who needed a setup man, I don’t get what’s so “ninja” about that

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Lolwut. Everything you said is irrelevant. The “ninja” part refers to how no rumors of this circulated. Making it sneaky like ninjas. Did I seriously have to explain that?

9. Dino Velvet says:

so the Brewers weren’t on his 10 team no trade list – that’s interesting.

• aRX says:

I guess that list was more of a “shitty teams/cities I don’t want to be stuck in” list rather than “bullpen situations that will keep my option from vesting” list, unless he forgot about Axford somehow.

Smart move by the Mets, most fans I know are giddy that they aren’t going to be on the hook next year. Too bad though — I wanted to see them come up with creative ways to bench him for the entire month of September :D

• Thomas Cassidy says:

The Brewers will probably think of the same thing. He isn’t worth 8 million let alone 17. Most overrated pitcher in all of baseball.

• MidlandTX says:

Odds are that list was actually “Contenders who most likely will need an arm down the stretch, will have the shekels to take me on, and who won’t mind buying out my no-trade (or having the Mets do it.)”

• bexarama says:

lol he’s gonna flip a shit, it’ll be glorious

10. Pat D says:

Can’t wait for someone to come out and say Cashman failed.

Come on, where’s that one guy? You know, the one with the handle that mentions something about the shortcomings of our beloved GM? What was that guy’s name again?

11. Joseph Cecala says:

I thought the Brewers basically had no farm?

• MannyGeee says:

this was essentially a salary trade, Mets will get nothing of significant value (outside of salary relief and ‘Addition by Subtraction’)

12. Opus says:

The deal includes the Mets sending them $5 million dollars? I know it’s early, but did I read that right?

13. CMP says:

You gotta figure Beltran is gone before the deadline too. Yanks done really need him with Swish and Jorge hitting better. Hopefully he’ll go somewhere other than Boston.

14. ItsATarp says:

lulz the mets trade him to a team with no farm..we might as well have offered up mitre for him.

15. JM says:

So the Mets are paying the rest of his 2011 salary… Why??? That kills the whole point of the trade.