Jul

Mistrial declared in Clemens perjury case

U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton has declared a mistrial in the case against Roger Clemens for perjury. Following a video of U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings’ statements this morning in which the Congressman mentioned evidence — including testimony by Laura Pettitte — that the judge had ruled barred from the case, Walton determined that the current trial could not go forward without prejudice against the former baseball star. “Sadly I have reached a conclusion that to permit this case to go forward with the government having done what it did, Mr. Clemens will not get a fair trial before this jury,” he said. “So I will declare a mistrial.”

A mistrial doesn’t mean that Clemens is out of the woods yet or that the government will be forced to drop its case. Rather, it simply means that this jury pool has been tainted. The two sides will argue over the summer as to whether or not a second trial would subject Clemens to double jeopardy, and Judge Walton said he will hold a hearing on Sept. 2 to decide if a second trial can constitutionally go forward. The government, meanwhile, will continue to spend money on this witch hunt. (For more on the technicalities of this mistrial, check out The Washington Post’s coverage.)

Categories : Asides, STEROIDS!

1. Oscar Gamble's 'Fro says:

Nice run for prosecutors of late. First Casey Anthony, now this. Really though, what a monumnetal fuck up. How can this happen?

2. Jared says:

What a joke. The whole trial is a big waste of time.

3. Looks like Clemens’s Hahvahd lawyers wiggled out of this one.

Sincerely,
    Cut your hair

4. Hester Prynne says:

Scrap the whole witch hunt. It’s a waste of time and money but I guess that’s why the government is pursing it.

5. YanksFan in MA says:

I mean honestly this is ridiculous. I’ve taken a high school Con Law and 2 business law classes and knew immediately the hearsay issue at hand. Where does the US Attorney’s Office and the DOJ find these clowns?

• Oscar Gamble's 'Fro says:

You don’t even need to get into the intricacies of hearsay. The judge specifically told the prosecutors that they could not raise
      Andy’s wife’s statements in front of the jury, and then they went ahead and did just that. It’s a simple as telling a child not to do something and them doing it anyway (when the child’s parents were already pissed for earlier disobedience). It’s mind-bogglingly stupid.

Agree with Jerome S.

6. Jerome S. says:

Let’s be honest: Finding Roger Clemens guilty of perjury would be tantamount to proving that he did steroids. And that’s what this whole shin-dig is; a way to prove he did PED’s. If Clemens had lied about literally any other aspect of this case, there would be no investigation. But because deep down, every male legislator is just a boy who used to collect Roger Clemens’ card on the playground, they feel an intrinsic need to bring him down.

It’s like that Family Guy episode where Peter met OJ Simpson.

7. Dan says:

If this is the end of the witch hunt Clemens can go back to being “ex-Red Sox hurler”. If it continues or he is eventually acquited he must continue to be referred to as”ex-Yankee hurler”

• Jerome S. says:

Even if Clemens is given the death penalty and has his head taken off in front of the national media I would still rather have it done in pinstripes.

He’s that awesome, in my opinion, it kinda trumps the idea that he’s a dickhole and a liar. Aren’t they all, really?

• infernoscurse says:

i agreed with everything said here by you except this, why? because im biased and a david wells fan and im still bitter at the trade, screw you clemens i hope you are found triple guilty and remembered as a redsox

• Jerome S. says:

Clemens was probably the best the greatest RHP of the past 80 years, that’s why. He didn’t have his best years with the Yanks, and he’s not even a “true Yankee”, but goddamnit he was good and I’d love it if he went into the HOF as a Yankee.

He won’t, though.

• Jerome S. says:

David Wells was good. A possible hall of famer.

Roger Clemens was the greatest right-handed pitcher of the past 80 years. I don’t care if he was better as a Red Sock (which he definitely was), if he’s remembered as a Yankee, hooray.

8. AC says:

Who really cares at this point. Just move onto something else.

9. jdp says:

Calling the Clemens case a “witch hunt” is ridiculous. A witch hunt is an attempt to find and punish a person or particular group of people who are being blamed for something, often simply because of their opinions and not because they have actually done anything wrong. How does this apply to Clemens? He’s not the only one to blame for the shame of the steroids era, of course. But he was one of the most prominent individuals identified in the investigation of it, he corrupted Saint Andy, and he apparently lied about his involvement. I can understand someone arguing that the prosecution of Clemens is not the best use of government resources, but it is certainly not a “witch hunt,” and his twice having been a Yankee is irrelevant.

10. The209 says:

we all should of listened to Canseco.

11. Yank The Frank says:

Clemens: You want answers?
    Congressman: I think I’m entitled to them.
    Clemens: You want answers?
    Congressman: I want the truth!
    Clemens: You can’t handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has baseballs. And those balls have to be hit by men with bats. Who’s gonna do it? You? You,Congressman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for steroids and you curse HGH. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that HGH, while illegal, probably sells tickets. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, sells tickets…You don’t want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me on that mound. You need me on that mound. We use words like fastall, slider, splitfinger…we use these words as the backbone to a life spent playing a sport. You use ‘em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and falls asleep to the Sportscenter clips I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I’d rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a bat and dig in. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you’re entitled to!
    Congressman: Did you order the HGH?
    Clemens: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.
    Congressman: Did you order the HGH?
    Clemens: You’re gddamn right I did!!

12. Pasqua says:

Regardless of whether you see it as a waste of money or not, the glaring annoyance (to me, at least) is the fact that part of the reason the case is being pursued is because it’s high profile. It gets certain politicians on camera and in the public eye, allowing them to look like “they care” and are fighting for the good of their constituents. In other words, “Let’s go after him, we’ll be on the news!”

/Yes, I’m royally fucking cynical of government bureaucracy.

13. Icebird753 says:

This case is utter stupidity…I don’t give a crap about whether this guy took steroids and lied about it or not. There are drug wars, foreign issues, pressing issues revolving around the budget and economy, and many more things, so why is this government looking into whether or not Clemens committed perjury? Get real…in my opinion the guy did more good than bad for the sport; think about all of the money and publicity the Rocket generated for MLB throughout his career.