Jul

Open Thread: Postgame Notes Edition

Today’s loss was all about physical errors. Ramiro Pena misplayed two grounders (the second one jumped on him a bit and hit the heel of his glove), Mariano Rivera walked Jason Bay with two outs to start the ninth inning rally, and Luis Ayala put two of the three men he faced on base without forcing them to swing the bat. Boone Logan came in and essentially got out of the inning (though Carlos Beltran struck out on a total hanger, got away with one), but Pena didn’t take care of business behind him.

“[We] move forward,” said Joe Girardi after the game, “we still won the series.” The skipper isn’t going to go out of his way to talk to Pena about what happened, and his outlook was essentially that: move forward. The Yankees just lost their first game in a week and a half because Rivera blew a save, not exactly a regular occurrence. It sucks, but they’re not going to dwell on it and frankly I’m not either. They’re playing too well. It happens.

• As for Phil Hughes, he will in fact start Wednesday and the Yankees only considered two options to accommodate him: a six-man rotation and demoting Ivan Nova to Triple-A. The bullpen wasn’t a consideration for Nova because it takes him a too long to warm up and also because (hypocrite alert!) it wasn’t the best thing for his development. He’ll start for Triple-A Scranton and focus on his slider and changeup. “He handled it like a man, a professional,” said Girardi when asked how Nova took the news.
  • No official plan for Derek Jeter because Double-A Trenton hasn’t played. They were in a rain delay earlier and should be starting the game right about now, I believe. Girardi hopes Eduardo Nunez‘s hamstring will be well enough to play tomorrow, should he be needed.
  • Girardi argued when Russell Martin was tagged out in that seventh inning run down because he didn’t think he was tagged. Third base ump Brian Knight told him the tag was applied, Girardi asked him to get help, then second base ump Jerry Layne told him Martin was out of the baseline. Okay then.
  • Apparently the Yankees were originally told the game was going to start at 4pm ET, then at 2pm ET they were told they were starting at 2:30pm ET. That’s why Freddy Garcia was still warming up when the Mets took the field. The umpires and Terry Collins were aware that he needed the extra time.
  • Mark Teixeira is not going to participate in the Homerun Derby and assumed he wasn’t going to make the actual All-Star Team because of the talent at first base. Can’t say I blame him for wanting to spending the time off with his family and not making the long flight for the one event.
  • If anyone cares, Jose Reyes is day-to-day with a Grade I hamstring injury. No timetable, it’s just a wait-and-see thing. He felt great this morning though. Basically the best case for the Mets. As for R.A. Dickey, he originally hurt his glute in batting practice a few days ago. Wooo NL baseball.

That’s pretty much it. The Yankees are off to Cleveland now and I assume Jeter will be there to meet them, barring something unexpected in Trenton. The loss sucked, especially since it was to the stupid Mets and I’ll have to listen to my stupid family about it for at least one day, but they weren’t going undefeated the rest of the season. I refuse to get worked up over the end of a seven game win streak.The Dodgers and Angels will play tonight on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball (Billingsley vs. Santana), so watch that and forget all about this game. Talk about that or anything else here.

Categories : News, Open Thread

1. first time lawng time says:

Whatevs. I’m already over it.

2. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Lol @ “He handled it like a man”

3. Xstar7 says:

Mariano and Ramiro shit the bed. End of story, good night.

4. Charles says:

Tex/Sabathia snubbed for the Allstar game…

5. first time lawng time says:

I’m super excited for tomorrow’s game. I get to see Jeter return AJ pitch!

6. icebird753 says:

I’m really upset Robertson didn’t make the cut but people like Aaron Crow, Brandon League and Chris Perez did make it. At the very least, D-Rob’s year has been much much better than Crow’s. They should get rid of the rule stating that every MLB needs to have at least 1 representative; the NBA and NFL don’t do that, right? The rosters would have far fewer snubs if MLB went that route…otherwise you’ll have the occasional Mark Redman-type misfit on a roster. For shame.

• whozat says:

The players voted league (and I think perez) in, so there’s not much anyone can do about that. And Crow is in because of the rule…The CJ wilson pick is homerism by Washington, but that’s kinda his right — The Joes of NY have done shit like that before.

Price and Valverde were the other two guys Washington put in a spot that coulda gone to CC or DRob.

7. sangreal says:

Thunder game just started. Banuelos on the mound and Jeter at short

Stream

8. Bob Michaels says:

Ayala is useless can`t throw strikes. Certainly Nova would have been a better option to remain in the bull pen.

9. Bob Michaels says:

Number 13th pick signs with the Bombers in Tampa today.

10. Dino Velvet says:

If Steinbrenner was alive, he’d make Pena walk the plank into the Hudson.

• first time lawng time says:

Peña wouldn’t have made those errors if Mo hadn’t blown the save.

• Accent Shallow says:

This is probably the only time that someone has posted “If Steinbrenner were alive . . .”[knee jerk response to poor play]

And I thought “You know, in this case, Steinbrenner would be absolutely right.”

11. Kiko Jones says:

Series was won and that’s what ultimately matters. But early on I was wondering why Peña was in the lineup in lieu of Nuñez who had been tearing the cover off the ball vs the Mets. It’s not like Peña was an offensive upgrade vs Dickey. And yeah, Nuñez may have booted those balls, too, but he might have contributed at the plate. Anyway…

12. Blame goes 1 to Mo, 2 to Pena, 3 to Ayala and 4 to Noesi. Everyone of them blew it. Mo is most culpable and Noesi is least culpable but each one’s performance was woefully inadequate.

13. theyankeewarrior says:

I’m so fucking sick of hearing about Ramiro Pena’s glove

14. iloveyoubartolo says:

Internet day at the asylum, i see.

15. Crime Dog says:

Good grief they lost one game on a couple flukes.
    When the best closer in the history of baseball blows a save like this, let’s give the guy a pass

16. Rick says:

Meh. It’s a long season; everybody has bad losses. Shit happens. Mo had a blip, Pena can’t field, and the non-Mo and Robertson part of the bullpen is weak. One of those is forgivable, and the other two are things we already knew.

On to Cleveland.

• Kramerica Industries says:

It’s not a big deal in the long run, yes.

I will say that after today’s loss, however, that it isn’t particularly useful to point out the BP is weak outside of Mo and DRob. After all, Mo is a large reason why they did lose today.

And the weak cogs were a huge reason behind a few other wins this season, as recently as Friday.

It’s nice to see Logan finally looking like his 2010 self.

17. Greg says:

Just dont lose tomorrow and extend the losing streak.

18. Multiple Personalities says:

What do you think of this Jeter kid in Trenton? He didn’t look too sharp in that at bat where he struck out, but do you think the Yanks could call him up to the bigs and have him replace Pena?

19. Jimmy McNulty says:

Frustrating loss…those happen, it was very winnable and there were times that they had chances to score but didn’t. Meh, gonna be weird when Jeter’s back.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Weird to have a SS that can play defense? I’m looking forward to Jeter’s return.

• NJ_Andy says:

Interestingly, he’s the reason that it’s weird to have a SS that can play DF.

Though in Jete’s defense he has great hands, just no range/reaction time.

• whozat says:

um…

wait…

Are we calling Derek Jeter the SS that can play defense?

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

His defense is better than Nunez and Pena this year. HE may not have the range but every ball hit to him is an out

• holger danske says:

agreed. especially given the fact that errant throws come in to play more often than extended range. at least this week they have.

20. Steve says:

I don’t know why there has been such a big stink about this. I get that Phil Hughes is very likely not going to live up to the hype, but it’s not like Nova is Cy Young. Nova has done a very fine job, but it’s not like he’s being sent to Mars. I get that fans want to develop young pitching, but Phil is not much older than Nova and he was never going to be Wally Pipped. Had the Yanks decided to leave him in AAA to work on his pitches, that would have been fine, but it was never going to really be a possibility. I’m very interested to see how Rothschild works with Phil – he’s not had the chance to work with a healthy Phil before. The most important things, I think: Phil needs to cut down on using the cutter and get that curve right again.

• whozat says:

Phil’s a whole 6 months older than Nova, yeah :-)

Developing Hughes IS developing young pitching

• Steve S. says:

..and when Phil was called up in 2007, Nova was pitching in A-ball. Comparing the two as of they were equal prospects or currently comparable as pitchers is absurd. Hughes misses more bats, walks fewer, has better stuff and is more polished.

21. Adam B says:

Banuelos throwing WAY too many pitches right now… the K’s are there so you can see the talent but he is nibbling way too much… somewhat of a theme in Yankees homegrown starters over the years.

22. Karl Krawfid says:

Manny B gets squeezed

23. Kramerica Industries says:

I’m glad Brian Wilson gave some definition as to the allowance one can have to completely lose their mind.

On a luckily seldom-used TV, I ended up smashing my remote today after the loss. Last year, I ended up breaking it in a minor capacity after a loss to the Orioles (also a game Mo blew a save in).

No, I’m not insane. Yes, the TV hates me. Yes, I know Brian Wilson is completely insane himself. And yes, I agree that you should be given a brief moment in time to lose yourself. As long as it isn’t something that will ever become a problem in a serious way.

On a more serious note, today’s loss really sucked away the series victory for me. And it’s not just because they lost, but they way they did. If the Mets had won this game easily, I wouldn’t have thought much about it. Series victory, minor gravy game (though I love sweeps, as any sane fan does), and the Mets managed to salvage a little respect. But, and I know there are game probability charts in the recaps, the Yankees odds of winning the game after the 2nd out in the 9th had to be, what, ~99%? The fact that they lost a game where they had a 99% chance of winning is rather sickening. Happenstance? Yes. But still sickening.

Mo has four blown saves this year. Yikes.

24. Pat D says:

Today’s loss is entirely my mother’s fault.

Allow me to explain.

My mother is certainly a fan, but usually when she watches games, she’s doing something else and so not really watching, but merely listening. This annoys me because I have a tendency to mute the television when the announcers are being idiots. So she’s not a “good fan.”

So anyway, today we’re all at a family picnic/BBQ, and I couldn’t get to the television because my cousin who hosted it has some fascination with that Casey Anthony trial and hid the remote. Finally found a time when she was out of the room and changed the channel on the receiver. TBS was blacked out and she doesn’t get YES, so I just turned on MLBN for updates. So they showed the first two out of the bottom of the ninth and then it went live.

It’s at this point that my mother walks in and asks what’s going on. Then Mo walks Bay. Then he gives up the first hit. Then she steps out of the room. Then she comes back in just as Mo gives up the second hit and the lead.

I ordered her out of the room for being a jinx. Then of course they just go blow it in extra innings, but it shouldn’t have even been at the point.

So everyone can blame my mother for today’s loss.

25. Jimmy McNulty says:

So who here is going to the Big Four show at the stadium? Metallica’s set list in Germany was pretty bad ass and they closed with Damage Inc. Hoping they play that or Disposable Heroes at the Stadium.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

They’ll probably finish with Enter Sandman just because it’s Yankee Stadium.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Well obviously that’s what they’ll finish with. Every Metallica show you’re pretty much assured to hear: Puppets, One, Sad But True, Sandman, and Creeping Death. After that there’s another 13 tracks that they use to fill the show with. Hoping for All Nightmare Long, Disposable Heroes, Whiplash, and Dyers Eve.

• Nuke Ladoosh says:

I’m doing DMB Caravan Chicago next weekend

26. Realistically speaking, what do you think the Twins would demand for Liriano? They’re not going anywhere this season, might wanna try and reload for 2012.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

He’s signed for 2012 too. Not too sure, probably like Romine if Mauer’s health continues to deteriorate. Not too sure how I’d feel about that right away.

• Steve S. says:

Every time this comes up, you keep hearing the Yanks aren’t interested. Too much injury risk, had trouble dealing with Smith during Santana negotiations.

27. David N says:

Damn, I kind of forgot how losing felt. Sucks. Oh well, it’s going to happen from time to time – got to deal with it and move on.

28. Nuke Ladoosh says:

how many good appearances in a row is that for Booney ?

29. Brian S. says:

“He handled it like a man, a professional.” So I guess women are not able to handle bad news professionally? Why is my manager not politically correct? Fire him.

30. Craig says:

Would Brackman and Nova e enough for Liriano? Brackman needs to pack his bags ASAP

• The nadir of a player’s value is the exact worst time to trade that player. It’s amazing how many people don’t seem to realize that.

• Steve S. says:

The Yankees don’t agree. They traded Tabata, IPK and Melancon at times when their value was down. I understand the point your making, but that line of thinking assumes a rebound in value. Sometimes when a player’s stock is down, it’s still higher than it will be going forward. Tabata was older than everyone thought and has never hit for any power. IPK at age 24 was probably never going to be worth more than he was, and we found out after he was traded from Melancon that he was unhappy here.

On Wall Street, a person who holds a stock that goes from $100 to $50 is often foolish if they ignore that the underlying fundamentals are bad. The same reasoning applies here. Just because a stock is down doesn’t mean you don’t trade it.

• Except if a stock is down and the underlying fundamentals are bad, the stock’s not at its nadir, it’s more of a bottoming-out situation. If you think Brackman has bottomed-out and will never regain any value or improve, then sure, toss him out. I would disagree with that opinion, since we’ve seen Brackman’s fundamentals (velo/stuff) be better than they currently are, so we know there’s potential for significant improvement. If he was getting knocked around and his stuff looked the same as it looked when he succeeded, I’d say he has bottomed-out and just can’t hack it, but we definitely haven’t seen that.

Just an FYI, I’m not going to be responding further.

• Ok I lied, one more point before I check-out…

“The Yankees don’t agree. They traded Tabata, IPK and Melancon at times when their value was down.”

That may be true, but it doesn’t mean it was right. And I’m not talking about those particular deals but about the point in general. The Yankees doing something isn’t necessarily an argument for why that something should be done in that manner.

31. For one night only, Jeter took Varitek’s place as America’s Captain.

32. Steve S. says:

Complete this sentence

“If George was still alive….”

33. Rainbow Connection says:

he would have absolutely no idea what is happening.

*Remember his brain was gone at the end

34. paul a says:

why is pena still in this organiztion? his defense sucks and he cant hit a lick. are you trying to tell me we don’t have anyone better down on the farm. get rid of this guy already. maybe the mets can use him.

• Will says:

SSS much? Pena’s defense does not suck–he’s had two bad defensive games in 2 years, they just happened to be within 2 weeks of each other.

The other BU infielder option in the system is Nunez, whose defense truly does suck, although he can hit at times.

35. Pat D says:

God, I’m such an idiot. What the hell possessed me to start arguing with people on an ESPN message board?

36. Will says:

I think/hope Nova will be back in the rotation after the ASB. Not optimistic about Hughes at all.

37. Cross777 says:

So you drop no blame on Granderson loggygagging after Duda bloop single?

• Mike Axisa says:

You’re the second person to bring this up. Bay was already at second by time the ball dropped, he was running on contact with two outs. He was going to end up at third no matter what.