Jul

Yankees call up Steve Garrison; Mitre to the DL

Via Josh Norris and Mike Ashmore, the Yankees have called up left-hander Steve Garrison from Double-A Trenton. This is certainly unexpected. No word on the corresponding move as of yet, but someone has to be hurt (Boone Logan?), no? Garrison had a 4.90 FIP in 46 IP for Trenton this year, though he missed a bunch of time due to a groin injury. You can learn everything you need to know about him here.

Update: Via Ken Davidoff, Garrison is taking the place of Sergio Mitre, who has been placed on the disabled list with some kind of illness. Sounds like a case of good timing for Garrison, because Lance Pendleton, Kevin Whelan, J.C. Romero, and Randy Flores have all thrown quite a bit recently. They took the fresh arm.

1. Cy Pettitte says:

over Flores or Romero? that’s odd.

• Andrew says:

Garrison is already on the 40 man roster, as opposed to both those guys, if that counts for anything. If Logan is hurt this would make less sense, since you’d presumably want a guy with major league experience as a LOOGY on the roster and would sacrifice the 40 man spot knowing you’re without Boone for at least X number of days.

2. Sheepmeister says:

Let us all hope that this is now the end of the experience.

3. Monteroisdinero says:

Logan pull an oblique?

4. Bartolo's Colon says:

maybe cashman has been reading rab and he decided to dfa teixeira

5. Mike says:

Mitre is done waxing Girardi’s cars.

6. Tags says:

Though he’s been terrible this season he looked great last Friday in Trenton. When I saw he was pitching I expected the worst but I was surprised by how strong he looked against a good Reading team.

7. No word on the corresponding move as of yet,

Boone Logan has been traded for Ubaldo Jimenez, straight up.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, THAT JUST HAPPENED. IS YOUR MIND BLOWN?

8. Rob says:

A mr. Garrison call up?! That’s awesome, but will mr. Hat take a roster spot too?

9. Sam says:

Mitre to DL per Davidoff

10. Bronx Byte says:

The more experienced J.C. Romero should have got the call. No need for Mitre.

11. CS Yankee says:

They seem to be doing well with their development with Nova, Warren, Phelps, Mitchell & the B’s with Noesi being the one exception.

However, Noesi was used in a decent leverage situation last night and hopefully he gets in those types of games more often since the Meat-tray is DL’d (should be DFA).

• YankeesJunkie says:

I would prefer Noesi and Nova to switch places just because I think Noesi has a better future as a starter. However, Noesi did go 160 IP and has 370 career minor league innings so he been developed for the most part. Hopefully, they give Noesi a shot at the rotation next year since he could be solid in the back of the rotation.

The Garrison move scares me mainly because he is fairly awful.

12. ItsATarp says:

Mitre to the dl… If I was a wizard and I needed to create a patronus, I’d think of this moment.

13. CMP says:

Mitre to the DL?

I hope the DL is a remote village somewhere in Siberia.

• Klemy says:

He would only fight his way out and return. There is no stopping The Experience.

• Monteroisdinero says:

It is the hot tub in the east wing of Jeter’s mansion. The only way they could convince Mitre to not come clean on the dirt he has on Girardi. He was given the key to the kingdom-but no Minka.

14. ItsATarp says:

If I was a wizard and needed to create a patronus…I’d think of this moment

15. Kevin D. says:

Chad Gaudin has been designated for assignment. We are dangerously close to having another reunion on our hands.

16. nycsportzfan says:

This dude garrison is litteraly dreadful… Mitre is terrible as well, but my god, give Kontos a chance..

17. Favrest says:

I’ve never seen but I’m kinda amazed at the 6.26 era. That’s higher than anyone on our current team. Was he hurt?

18. Fin says:

This guy should pick up right where Mitre left off…the Yankees wont miss a beat.