Jul

Yankees calling up Golson to replace A-Rod

Via George King, the Yankees will call up and activate Greg Golson prior to tonight’s game against the Blue Jays. He’s taking Alex Rodriguez‘s spot on the roster. Golson missed some time with a hamstring injury this year and he’s hit well with Triple-A Scranton (.348 wOBA), but he has a massive reverse split (.582 OPS vs. LHP, .838 vs. RHP, SSS warning). He can defend and run and throw the snot out of the ball, for sure, but otherwise I’m not exactly sure what he was brought here to do.

Update (2:44pm): For what it’s worth, Kevin Goldstein just wrote this: “Funny, just talked to a scout last week who saw Greg Golson and noted real progress in hitting skill, upgraded him to solid 4th OF type.”

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Jerome S. says:

I think a certain frequent commenter just JIMP’d.

2. CP says:

Chris Dickerson was sent down 10 days ago (when Jeter came back), so Golson basically replacing Chris Dickerson as the 5th OFer. Not sure the specifics of the 10-day rule, but they may have picked Golson because Dickerson wouldn’t be eligible to come up until tomorrow.

• Mike Axisa says:

The ten day rule does when there are injuries. Dickerson could have come back up for A-Rod.

• whozat says:

because ARod went on the DL they could have called up Dickerson; that rule does not apply to injury replacements. It might be a righty/lefty thing.

• Ed says:

I’m guessing they picked Golson simply because Dickerson has a whopping 7 plate appearances after May 25th. I expect little out of either of them, but I’d rather have the guy hitting well in AAA over the guy who barely touched a bat for the past 2 months.

3. Andrew says:

Monteroiserecto

4. Dick Gozinya says:

OMG I’m so outraged they didn’t bring up Montero to play 3B!!!

/sarcasm

5. ADam says:

Not so sure why they called up another outfielder – Theoretically you have 3 outfielders that can Play all Three Positions, and Swish that can play the corners and couldn’t Pena or Nunez be your 5th outfielder in a pinch?

Would have like to seen Laird or JoVa up.

6. CMP says:

At least Golson will make a nice late inning defensive replacement for Swisher and his bitch arm in RF.

7. Pat D says:

Guess I’m surprised they brought up Golson instead of Dickerson.

I can also assume Mike isn’t going to get his wish and see Laird called up. They must not have any confidence in him or they’re just too addicted to Ramiro.

8. CC's third leg says:

I love the hell outta Golson and was really pissed when he was sent down in favor of babyface jones this spring

9. Favrest says:

The guy earned it, and he can help us in a lot or ways. One thing I’m not sure of: can he bunt?

10. Monteroisdinero says:

Calm down everyone. It is the natural progression of things. I am still healing from all the shots I have taken over the months-some have been quite nasty. He will be a stellar defender and not as bad a hitter as everyone has made him out to be. He still ops higher than Jesus this year so he can’t be all bad. His strikeouts are down and his speed and arm will dazzle a few folks.

Now about Swisher’s healing quad……

• Rick in Boston says:

It’s a good year when a 22% K rate is a decrease. I’d still like to see Golson learn how to take a walk.

• CMP says:

I can’t wait to see some fool try to go 1st to 3rd on him. I think gunning down a baserunner is one of the most exciting plays in baseball.

• Ted Nelson says:

If he does something meaningful at the MLB level I’ll definitely give you credit for your patience on Golson… I think your strongest points on him have been that the guy is still young and could improve. He seems to have improved this season… and we’ll see if it’s enough to do something in MLB.

I do think you’ve gone way too far at other times, insisting that his historical performance was better than it was and as I remember calling him better than Nick Swisher.

• Jim S says:

I have to say, I don’t feel sorry for you if the shots were over calling Golson better than Swisher.

But yes, now that he’s up with the team, I wish him the best and hope he outperforms the vast majority of our expectations.

• David, Jr. says:

Great to have you back. Congrats on Golson.

11. Phil says:

Better than Andruw Jones.

12. Mike c says:

Im guessing it was either parraz or golson since they’ve been the two best AAAers so far. Golson getting the nod because he’s been up before makes sense to me. Is there a better defensive OF than the killer G’s? Goldnerson? G-unit?

• Am I the only Kevin? says:

They can cover some ground, can’t they. Funny thing is, the “worst” defender of the three will be playing CF if we run out the G-unit OF.

Perhaps we’ll see Posada getting an off day when we face lefties, with Swisher DHing and Golson in RF? This would free up Jorge to PH for Nunez/Pena/Gardy/Golson in the late innings. Starting weak spots at 3B for the next month is definitely going to open up some pinch hitting opportunities.

13. Kevin G. says:

3G Returns!

14. Monteroisdinero says:

Wider coverage with a 3G outfield.

15. Oscar Gamble's 'Fro says:

Nice to have Golson for when the Coach’s Son starts. We’ll need as much defense as we get when Hughes is unable to put anyone away. Excellent move.