Aug

2011 Draft: 44th round pick Adam Ravenelle heading to college

Via the kid himself, Yankees’ 44th round pick Adam Ravenelle will not sign and instead follow through on his commitment to Vanderbilt. Ravenelle, a high school right-hander from Massachusetts, was not a 44th round talent. Baseball America (subs. req’d) said he might have the highest ceiling of anyone in the state thanks to a “6-foot-4, 185-pound build” with a fastball “in the low 90s.” Vandy is a high-end program and has traditionally been a tough school to buy kids away from, so this wasn’t unexpected.

All of the Yankees picks (signed and unsigned) can be seen here.

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. vin says:

I assume the Yanks will sign Stafford, and are just waiting until they near the signing deadline?

Also, have we heard anything on Cave, Cote, and Bird?

• crawdaddie says:

I wouldn’t assume that as there must be an issue, otherwise, as a college pitcher he would’ve signed a long time ago.

• Plank says:

Just a guess, but Bud Selig usually delays overslot deals until the last minute to try to keep money out of the players hands. Maybe that is what is happening here.

• I’ve heard rumors that Stafford’s medicals are sketchy, not sure how true said rumors are but I have definitely heard them.

• Plank says:

Where did you hear (I assume you mean read) that?

• Howard Cosell says:

They sent Stafford home……he didn’t pass the physical. Axisa’s sources can confirm this. I’m not sure what the next steps are but that’s a lot of money that high to take a gamble(see Brackman)

HC

2. Nuke Ladoosh says:

Give me Jake Cave.

3. kenthadley says:

Any news on IFA’s?

4. Jaremy says:

Sweet, another Gerrit Cole to make me want to gouge my eyes out over.

5. Jaremy says:

Sweet another Gerrit Cole to make me want to gouge my eyes out over.

6. IB6 UB9 says:

How many eyes do you have?