Aug

2011 Draft: Yanks sign 27th rounder C. Hebert, 38th rounder J. Maher

Update (Aug. 27th): Just to tie up some loose ends, Baseball America (subs. req’d) says Hebert received a $148k bonus while Maher received $300k. That’s what I figured, low six-figures. Again, solid deals late in the draft.

Original Post (Aug. 15th): Via K. Levine-Flandrup, the Yankees have agreed to terms with both 27th rounder Chaz Hebert and 38th rounder Joey Maher. The former is a high school lefty from Louisiana, the latter a high school righty from New Hampshire. No word on the money, but both figure to have received six-figure bonuses.

Maher is the better prospects of the two, a 6-foot-5, 185 lb. sinker-baller that still sits in the mid-to-high-80′s with the fastball and is still working on a breaking ball. Baseball America (subs. req’d) said that one evaluator dropped a Derek Lowe comp on him. Hebert is a bit smaller at 6-foot-2 and 180 lbs., but he generally sits in the low-90′s with his heat. “His slow curveball is well below-average, lacking velocity and at times resembling an eephus pitch,” said Baseball America. Both guys are great late-round fliers, there’s nothing to lose here but money.

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. bgeary says:

I watched Maher pitch at the Northeast American Legion regional. Guns had him getting as high as 92, but I was most impressed with the sinker. I played legion, and I never saw anyone with a fastball that bit as hard as his does down and in to RHB’s. He’ll certainly be a personal favorite of mine.

2. Tyrone Sharpton says:

woo!

3. Joe says:

Mike,
    How would you rate this class? C, C+?

Also,
    Can we get a rank of the top 5 for you in terms of who you like:
    1. Cote
    2. Bird
    3. Bichette
    4. Bubba Jones
    5. James

Just guesing on what I have read

4. Joe says:

I’m just talking about upside. I know that the best player from this class could be a low round pick but it’s always fun to rank things at the outset to see how wrong everyone is :)

5. Jesse says:

Didn’t the Yankees draft a player that was ranked 138th or so overall in Baseball America’s list including the prospects already in the minors?

6. Phew this suspense was killing me

7. pat says:

Going to be difficult rooting for someone names Chaz.