Record Last Week: 5-2 (43 RS, 30 RA)
Season Record: 77-48 (675 RS, 487 RA, 82-43 pythag. record), 0.5 games up in AL East, 8.0 up for wildcard
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Athletics (three games, Tues. to Thurs.), @ Orioles (four games, Fri. to Sun., two on Sat.)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees opened the week in Kansas City, and navigated around an A.J. Burnett meltdown in Monday’s win. Robinson Cano‘s stellar at-bat and three-run homer led the team to a win the next day, but the umpires got in the way of a potential sweep in the finale.
- Next on the schedule was a four-game series in Minnesota, which the Yankees opened with a win despite a somewhat shaky CC Sabathia. Phil Hughes and Russell Martin led the Yankees to a win the next day, but A.J. Burnett got rocked in Saturday’s loss. Ivan Nova dominated in yesterday’s win.
- Injury News: After being somewhat tentative in his rehab games earlier in the week, Alex Rodriguez was activated off the DL on Sunday. Freddy Garcia was placed on the DL because of a cut on his finger. Joba Chamberlain is doing well in his rehab from Tommy John surgery despite an appendectomy. Minor leaguer Ravel Santana suffered a major ankle injury.
- The Yankees claimed lefty relievers Aaron Laffey and Raul Valdes off waivers. Both Buddy Carlyle and Greg Smith have been released, and Gus Molina was designated for assignment. They also continue to scout Rich Harden.
- The Yankees signed fifth rounder Greg Bird, sixth rounder Jake Cave, and 20th rounder Dam Camarena to over-slot bonuses. They did not sign second rounder Sam Stafford and will get a compensation pick next year.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.