Aug

Game 131: Right back at it

Bart deserved better. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

The Yankees lost a rather annoying game to the Orioles this afternoon (didn’t get a runner past first base? really?), but the good news is they have a chance to make it up for it right away in the back-end of the doubleheader. Here’s the starting nine…

Derek Jeter, SS
Curtis Granderson, CF
Mark Teixeira, 1B
Robinson Cano, 2B
Nick Swisher, RF
Andruw Jones, DH
Russell Martin, C
Eduardo Nunez, 3B
Brett Gardner, LF

Ivan Nova, SP

Despite ESPN’s Sunday night restrictions, the game will be available on both YES and MLB.tv. If you want to listen on the radio, tune into WFAN 660 and not WCBS 880. They’re still covering Hurricane Irene on the usual station. Enjoy the game.

Update: Well, so much for that. Apparently the game is blacked out everywhere but YES. Those jerks.

Update Part Deux: Derek Jeter is a (very) late scratch. Gardner is leading off, Nunez is at short (batting ninth), and Eric Chavez is at third (batting eighth). Jeter fouled a ball off his leg in the first game of the doubleheader, so perhaps that stiffened up on him. I’ll update the post if we find out anything more.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

No ARod? That means we win.

2. Steve S. says:

Nicely done by RLYW

If it continues to look like a game that won’t matter, the Yankees should call up everyone on the 40 man roster and send this team to Baltimore on September 8.

SP: A.J.
    Bullpen: Lance Pendleton, Raul Valdes

C: Cervelli
    1B: Andruw Jones
    2B: Aaron Laffey
    3B: Brandon Laird
    SS: Ryan Pope
    LF: Chris Dickerson
    CF: Greg Golson
    RF: Justin Maxwell
    DH: Melky Mesa

Make Burnett pitch all eight innings, just keep a couple of arms in the bullpen in case he gets ejected.

3. Ethan says:

It looks like the game is blacked out on mlb tv in California? Anyone know if that should be happening or where it’s available outside of New york?

4. Sarah says:

MLB.tv saying there’s a blackout in effect… :-(

5. Bronx Byte says:

Why can’t Burnett pitch this game on short rest ? Isn’t he a $16.5 million dollar a year pitcher ? LOL ……

6. Jesse says:

Great, it’s blacked out where I live. Thanks a lot MLB Extra Innings.

7. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Oh look YES is blacked out. f u ESPN.

8. Cy Pettitte says:

time for lil stoppa

let’s go Nova

9. Roland Deschain says:

It is not on mlb.tv which is a joke. This is a makeup game! Nobody wants to watch Texas and LA. Fuck you Bud Selig!!!!!!!

10. Charles says:

Anyone know whats happened with Brian Roberts? They don’t even mention him on any O’s broadcasts and he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

11. c says:

Who was it who told the blog that it would not be blacked out on mlb.tv? I’m assuming it was MLB? That was reported in two posts today, but it sure is blacked out. That is just frustrating that they make assurances but they aren’t true.

• Roland Deschain says:

They screwed us. This is a makeup game and if it had been played at the regular time we could have watched it. Nobody watching Yankees-Orioles is going to watch Texas-LA instead. Big fucking joke.

12. Greg says:

Jeter was scratched. Probably the knee

13. Jesse says:

MLB Tonight is on, on MLB Network until the top of the hour, they may do a live look in for what it’s worth.

14. Esteban says:

Juuuuust a bit outside

15. Cy Pettitte says:

Gardy needs to get out of this slump. it’s been brutal.

16. Charles says:

Wow did anyone see how far off the plate that last pitch to gardener was? Was in the other batters box…

17. Steve O. says:

Fantasy football question: Was it prudent to select Matt Forte over Hakeem Nicks?

Second question: Was it prudent considering I’ve also got Austin Collie, Mike Williams(SEA and TB), Calvin Johnson, Sidney Rice, Michael Crabtree, and Jacoby Ford? While the only other RBs I have are Arian Foster, Jahvid Best, and Jason Snelling.

My league plays 2 RB/2 WR/1 Flex.

• Jesse says:

Is this an Open Thread?

And it was stupid to take Forte over Hakeem. There’s plenty of other backs who will have better years and ranked lower ie: Blount, Wells, Moreno

And man, your running backs SUCK, except Foster.

• mbonzo says:

I like Nicks better, but in such a small league (I’m assuming its small with that team) it probably won’t make a difference.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Don’t listen to those other two guys. Hakeem Nicks is awesome, but he doesn’t have the fantasy value of Matt Forte. Blount, Wells, and Moreno all have issues of their own. The Bears are at least committed to running the ball whereas Denver might not be, Blount only had one year so far, Beanie Wells’ QB situation is shaky as fuck and Arizona doesn’t use him on third downs. If it’s a PPR league, then yes it’s a dumb move, but a standard league? Please. Your WRs are plenty good for a standard league. Hakeem Nicks may have a down year too, the Giants’ WR corps has taken a beating so he’ll be doubled left and right. It’s not like he has a top five QB throwing to him either, so I’d say you made the right move.

• Jesse says:

nah don’t listen to him. Nicks is a great wide out, Blount and Beanie will have better years than Forte easy.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Nicks is a great wide out, but he’s going to be double and triple covered all year. He also has Eli Manning throwing to him. I think in real football he’s more valuable than Forte, but in fantasy Forte will get his touches and plenty of them. Marion Barber is cooked, and the Chicago Bears have always had a commitment to running the ball, it’s their philosophy and a security blanket for Jay Cutler. I’d wait for another year before I get too high on LeGarrette Blount. Beanie? He didn’t even have 400 yards last year, Matt Forte had pretty much the same amount of yardage last year that Beanie Wells has in his entire career. Please.

• Steve O. says:

It’s a standard league. Thank you, I just needed some reassurance. There was a serious run of RBs before my pick, so I felt pressed to pluck him before a second WR. I had the first pick in my draft, btw.

Marion Barber’s presence, and the decrease in Forte’s carries concern me.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Barber fucking blows. The only reason Dallas kept on running him out there was because they gave him a pretty big contract. I wouldn’t worry too much about him, who was their back up last year? Chester Taylor? He’s a better back than Barber at this point.

• Steve O. says:

It’s not so much about Barber’s talent level, but more about what that means for Forte. They signed Chester Taylor, and now Barber? I’m not saying anything is definite, I’m just a little curious about it.

Either way, with my depth at WR, I don’t think I’ll miss Nicks too much.

18. Jimmy McNulty says:

Ian Kennedy currently leads the NL in wins while Joba Chamberlain is recovering from TJS and Phil Hughes is struggling to find swing and miss stuff. Ugh…this team and pitching.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

AL East >>> NL west.

• Greg says:

They basically were our Generation K

• Cy Pettitte says:

you honestly think IPK would have stats anywhere near what he has right now pitching in the AL East?

• Jimmy McNulty says:

No, but he’s easily the best out of the Joba/Hughes/IPK troika. Yes, the AL East is tougher than the NL West. However, he’s got a K/BB well over three and he’s already had 200 IP. Go ahead and bury your heads in the sand by saying “OH IT’S TEH NL WESST!!!!!!” and act like he’d be a slightly less shitty AJ Burnett in pinstripes. I really hope the team learns their lessons from the The Big Three debacle.

• Greg says:

What was the debacle? We got Granderson from IPK?

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Oh no, not that…Granderson’s been awesome. The debacle is that one’s a middle reliever recovering from TJS, one is two years away from pitching a full 200 IP season (despite being in the majors for five years) , and the best one out of the three was traded away.

• Jetrer says:

so the debacle is that some prospects don’t reach their ceilings right away?

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Two young promising starters hitting a massive wall, in one case having their role completely changed and in another case leaving serious questions into their long term effectiveness as a major leaguer, and almost refusing to part with either no matter what the upgrade to the team is (and no I’m not talking Santana). All while misevaluating two pitchers (IPK and Clippard) that have gone on to see bright pastures elsewhere IMO qualifies as a debacle. However, the Yankees have the resources to afford this kind of stuff.

And please, you’re going to act like the Yankees’ track record with pitching has been good lately?

• The Big 3 says:

You are of course correct. What became of the Three is a big fucking travesty.

If I was ever in a position to ask Cash, I would ask him these questions:

1) Although your scribes introduced him as one, Hughes was not a stud. How could he be with two pitches, one being a 90-93 MPH fastball?

Why wasn’t he traded at the height of his hype?

2) Other teams skipped on Joba because they thought him injury prone. Two+ years into his career, you made the same decision, damning him to the bullpen forever. Prior to that decision by you, other teams were reportedly clamoring for his rights.

Why wasn’t he traded at the height of his hype.

3) The cost of Lee reportedly included a useless utility player who stood a .000001% chance of ever starting on a continual basis for the home team, but you nixed the deal anyway, even though Lee playing here could have meant the difference between his signing here or not.

Why wasn’t he thrown in?

4) Are you a prospect hugger?

• Sarah says:

Ok but really, the NL West: San Francisco, San Diego, Dodgers and Colorado. Which of those teams can hit? So of course his K/BB going to be good.

Who knows how he’d be if he was still in NY. It’s not like there’s a way to undo the trade. It is what it is.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

You’re right. We may as well consider these stats the same way that we considered his stats in the IL. If he were still on the Yankees he’d be John Lackey with Carlos Zambrano’s attitude.

• Mike Axisa says:

I don’t know why you bother comparing the three. It’s not like the trade was an either/or. Kennedy had way less service time than the other two, and that’s what Arizona was interested in.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Well depending on how you value his defense Curtis Granderson may be the best player in baseball, so I’m not trying to poo poo the trade. They got a great player in return, and Ian looked like shit for quite sometime. I’m suggesting that there’s some lessons to learn from the mistakes of the past when developing young pitching.

• Esteban says:

What’s that lesson? What info did the Yankees have at the time that showed IPK would pitch much better than Joba or Phil?

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Well at the time they pretty much made the conscious decision at the time that Joba was going to be a reliever. So there’s a good chance that if IPK had a career as a starter he’d be better than Joba. Secondly, that’s exactly the issue. The way that this team has evaluated pitching in the choices that they’ve made have been pretty suspect. They have more info than we do, and part of that information includes advanced scouting reports. The fact that their advanced scouts didn’t see “really good pitcher” in IPK and “disaster” in the constant jerking of Hughes and Joba around from the pen to the rotation is troublesome.

• Mike Axisa says:

The fact that their advanced scouts didn’t see “really good pitcher” in IPK…

I don’t think that’s true at all.

• Jetrer says:

who says the Yankee scouts didn’t see “really good pitcher” in IPK? I’m guessing they probably did, since they used a first round pick for him. They traded him for a star CF, they didn’t throw him away.
              And I’m sure it wasn’t the scouts that advocated jerking Hughes and Joba from rotation to bullpen.

• Esteban says:

We have no idea if what the Yankees did with Joba caused his injury. We can speculate, but he may have needed TJS no matter what. I don’t think Hughes has been constantly jerked around, and how would the Yankees have predicted that he would lose the velocity after starting all of last year?
              I think the Yankees were confident in both Hughes and Joba being strong contributors to the team and thought that IPK, the guy that had the least success with the big league club up to that point could be used to get a player like Granderson. And he was.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I’ve always been pretty bearish on Joba Chamberlain, but I’m pretty sure constantly changing his role wasn’t very beneficial for him. And you and a few others are setting up this strawman argument where you’re suggesting that I’m mad about trading him for Granderson, I’m not. If your reading comprehension skills were above a third grade level you would have read this part:

“Well depending on how you value his defense Curtis Granderson may be the best player in baseball, so I’m not trying to poo poo the trade.”

My angst comes from the fact they displayed a large amount of confidence in Hughes and Joba refusing to part with them for players like Roy Halladay, and both of them have lost quite a bit of their luster over the years. Whereas, the pitcher that they were most willing to part with was the best one. This isn’t Arodys Vizcaino where they traded a really good prospect for a guy who did jack and shit for the team, they traded him for a player who might win the AL MVP. I’m okay with that, the part I’m not okay with is their evaluation of the Big Three, and their past history with evaluating pitchers. Maybe that’s been fixed, they’re being rewarded with their confidence in Nova and they seemed to pick the right parts off the massive scrap heap this winder, but they still have a long history of poorly evaluating pitchers to make up for.

• The Big 3 says:

Command of 4 pitches.

19. LiterallyFigurative says:

Alex needs to bat behind Robbie until he gets his bearings again.

20. Jetrer says:

nice AB, Robbie

21. kevin murphy says:

espn and fox blow for this blackout bullshit

22. Ethan says:

This blackout BS is so frustrating. Why is this game blocked out on Mlb.tv (I know I’m a bit late). Aren’t games just supposed to be blocked out from 1-7:05? This game started at 7:30. Fuck you MLB.

• Sarah says:

After 5 on Sundays is the Sunday rule. STUPID.

• Ethan says:

Damn so annoying. Can’t wait until I head up to Canada in a few days. Then only Toronto games will be blacked out (another incredibly stupid black out but whatever non of this national broadcast black out bullshit)

• Roland Deschain says:

MLB don’t care about screwing its customers. I will NOT watch Texas-Angels. No Yankee fan would cause they wanna watch the Yankees! Makeup games should not be under the restrictions, but that would require someone with a logical mind making these decisions.

23. Bud Selig says:

Soon all TV programming at 8 ET will be blacked out except ESPN!!! Even in the offseason!!! muahahahahaha.

24. Esteban says:

And obviously the Yankees 16-5 record when Nova pitches is only due to how Nova pitches and the run support that he gets.

• Esteban says:

I mean, leading baseball in Run Support (for pitchers with at least 120 IP) with 9.86 RS average has NOTHING to do with the Yankees record in games he pitches in.

25. Greg says:

Jeter with a right knee contusion

26. Nuke LaDoosh says:

anyone got a link for radio broadcast?

27. Greg says:

O’s up 1-0 Sac fly by Adam jones

28. Ethan says:

Can you guys recommend any overseas proxies to avoid the game blackout? And are they safe to use with mlb.tv?

29. Karl Krawfid says:

Can’t watch this game for some reason.

Fuck Direct tv.

30. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Are wild pitches “really hurting the Yankees” like Sterling says? He’s acting like every time there is a wild pitch the runner is bound to score.

31. Esteban says:

Wow that 3-1 to Swisher looked to be in the other batter’s box.

Oh well he walked anyway. No harm, no foul.

32. your mom says:

I could’ve sworn Matusz threw harder.

• Mike Axisa says:

He did. Having the same problem Phil Hughes had earlier in the year.

• Sheepmeister says:

Gasp, you mean the yankees aren’t the only team in baseball who occasionally has a top prospect now deliver instantaneously.

• Esteban says:

But the Yankees are the only team that I follow whose prospects don’t hit their ceiling immediately.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

They do seem to be the only team that thinks a top pitching prospect is ready for a full season in the majors after spending a significant portion of the previous year in the bullpen, then suddenly befuddled when the pitcher can’t handle the jump down the stretch or in subsequent years.

• Mike Axisa says:

That’s not even remotely close to true. Many teams do this every single year. Sometimes it works (Justin Masterson), sometimes it doesn’t (Phil Coke).

• The Big 3 says:

Masterson nor Coke had the pedigree of The Big 3, although I disagree with Jimmy as well.

What he should have added is that it’s unrealistic to expect a kid to make the jump to NY successfully, to start with. Playing them like yo-yos probably made it worse.

This is a very tough town with big pressure and no excuses. Many fail. Most would if not handled properly.

• Steve S. says:

The ‘showed up in camp fat and out of shape’ problem?

I thought only Joba did things like that.

33. lily says:

frustrating team

34. Roland Deschain says:

I’ve posted a message on MLB.tv’s support forum demanding that people wanting to watch Yankees-O’s tonight receive a full refund. I expect they will meet my demands and justice will be served.

35. thaaaaaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

if we cant hit this scrub, Im gonna scream (cue Greg saying “actually hes not a scrub even tho he has an 8.68 era)

36. Greg says:

Mike, if they lose this game, is this the low point of their season?

37. Jesse says:

I’m sick of this lack of offense. I’m gonna turn John and Suzyn off and watch these Claw and Antlers for awhile. Maybe they get a runner to second while I’m gone.

38. Will says:

Ugh. Why do I even bother watching this game? This team looks absolutely dead right now. This looks like a start to a losing streak just like last year, especially with the Sox and Blue Jays coming up on our schedule.

39. Greg says:

Nova’s getting hit hard. O’s up 2-0.

40. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Damn you Sterling, I thought that was a single :(

41. Jetrer says:

regression is a bitch

42. Sarah says:

John Sterling is frustrated. He wants us all to know that the Yanks are in trouble.

43. lily says:

great yankees. good job lose to the orioles, give boston the division

44. Cy Pettitte says:

Cashman needs to drive down to Baltimore and yell at everyone.

45. LiterallyFigurative says:

Funny how you don’t hear any more “Buck Showalter is the greatest leader since Dwight f-ing Eisenhower” chants this year.

46. your mom says:

You know Nova’s off when he’s getting more flyouts than GOs.

47. Pat D says:

So, yea, the Orioles are blasting the Yankees and hiding behind Flanagan’s suicide. Pathetic.

• Widget says:

Not s surprise. The Orioles have been a classless organization for awhile now. It all starts at the top and Peter Angelos is a scumbag. I personally find great amusement in the Orioles being a joke and they’ll be like that for a very long time.

• mbonzo says:

Disrespectful to Flanney? The guy shot himself in the head… and this has nothing to do with him.

Yankees should move all 3 games v. O’s next week to that Monday to make up for this days they get off. If they don’t like it tell them to get their revenue money from somewhere else.

48. flamingo says:

NOVA. He just keeps his head in it.

49. Jesse says:

Hahaha, Valentine doesn’t know how to say JC Penny.

50. nsalem says:

they should have included the Rays in the text poll

51. LiterallyFigurative says:

Text Poll Answer

1. Angels.

BTW, the makeup game in 9/8 is 1:05 PM

52. Greg says:

Good job MLB. The makeup game on September 8th is a day game.

53. Steve O. says:

Bridge jumpers are out tonight, eh?

• Esteban says:

What do they do when the Yankees are winning? Seriously. Is there a switch that goes off when the Yankees are in a tough stretch and they think “Must post on RAB?”

• nsalem says:

these are important games. playoffs are not lock. we are an older team with questionable starting pitching at this point. we have a brutal schedule the rest of the way with no days off and
        10 games with the Rays and Angels. The road is not as eay as it looked a couple of weeks ago. Not bridge jumping but we still have work to do (as Granderson homers)

• Esteban says:

This is a general question, not just for now. It happens all year. There are certain people who only post when the Yankees are losing or in a rough stretch that rarely post when they’re winning or on a hot streak.

• nsalem says:

people in general gravitate towards bad news. There are many who would rather talk about Burnett than Granderson. Swisher received more attention for his bad first half than his good second half.

• LiterallyFigurative says:

Cabin fever at work.

54. lily says:

gardner slumps are not fun

55. Widget says:

Come on people look at the bright side, we may be a few days away from JESUS!!!!!!!

56. flamingo says:

It is the third freaking inning, Sterling. STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE.

57. LiterallyFigurative says:

It’s really frustrating watching a team that only wins 95 or so games on a yearly basis…..

58. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

The Yankees get 2 runners on and John Sterling’s life is worth living again.

59. CBean says:

does this mean #cured?

60. Mike Axisa says:

Waaa Granderson is slumping.

/first game thread’d

61. IRF says:

Curtis to the rescue

62. Greg says:

THE GRANDY MAN!

63. Jetrer says:

too bad Granderson is in a slump

64. flamingo says:

PERFECT TIMING, CURTIS!

65. Cy Pettitte says:

ok I’m coming back off the ledge now. lol

66. Esteban says:

Oh the GRANDYMAN cannnnnnnnn

67. Jesse says:

MLB.com Gameday says that the Yankees have 2 runners on, that must no be the case.

68. LiterallyFigurative says:

Grandy!

You guys can climb down off the ledge, at least for now.

69. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

In play, runs!

70. mbonzo says:

Grandy slump is over. With Bautista slumping, a hot Granderson September could win him the MVP.

71. Karl Krawfid says:

Can’t wait til the Yanks play Anaheim.

Ima get to see Mike Trout and Jesus Montero play.

• Steve S. says:

Girardi said (on his show) that Jesus might even catch some, which surprised me.

I think they’ll let him wade in slowly, facing soft tossing lefties to start. But that also means he won’t play more than twice a week.

72. LiterallyFigurative says:

Time for a shut-down inning Nova.

73. Greg says:

Nova’s leaving his pitches up.

74. LiterallyFigurative says:

Anyone still wanna whine about having to trade Kennedy for Granderson?

75. Cuso says:

Oh yeah. That Granderson guy is still pretty good, too.

76. CBean says:

Come on Nova, Kay and Singleton have promised me that you will win this game since Curtis got you the lead.

77. Mike Axisa says:

It’s the third damn inning, stop bringing the infield in.

• Sarah says:

But John Sterling approves!

• Cy Pettitte says:

did Joe hit his head on a wall this morning or something? he’s brought the infield in twice this game and he’s shifted Robbie closer to second twice and then pitched the right handed batter away the whole AB twice today.

78. Jesse says:

Can Nova stop giving up runs please?

79. Steve S. says:

Nova’s not making my “ROY” argument any easier for me.

80. Greg says:

Nova’s location is all over the place. So in the game we score runs, our pitcher is not doing well. Go figure.

81. LiterallyFigurative says:

Sometimes with young pitchers, these kinds of nights are far more valuable than easy outings.

Nova has to work on not giving up the sac fly, especially when up 0-2 in the count.

• flamingo says:

I appreciate this comment.

(Especially after the “we need to develop starting pitching” and then “WHY are you giving up runs” comments.)

82. Greg says:

Matusz is killing the right handers with changeups away

83. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Adam Kennedy got his 17th win today!!

/Waldman

84. mbonzo says:

Martin has the worst luck out there.

85. Chip says:

Is it just me or is Nova falling in love with his slider a bit thus far in this game?

86. Greg says:

Obsessive

87. Steve S. says:

I don’t know why everyone’s so uptight around here. I get that they’re not playing great, and have been losing to some bad teams lately. But we got two great pieces of news today. Colon is throwing the ball great and AJ is making what is almost certainly his last start on Thursday. I’m borderline giddy right there.

You could even make the argument that the Yanks really need to rethink their position on AJ after two bad seasons. He may be bullpen bound, or dumped in a trade this off season. We my not see him make another start for the Yanks again after this Thursday. Happy?

• Mike Axisa says:

I can’t see them being able to trade him. The Yankees aren’t going to eat $10M a year to watch him pitch elsewhere.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

It’s better than paying him 16m to have him suck for them.

• Steve S. says:

I agree, its tough to see them finding a trade partner. But you never know, there are some very dumb GMs out there. I mean, Alex Rios and Vernon Wells were traded. The Jake Peavy deal was completed before he came off the DL. Bill Smith gave up a big time Catching prospect for a nice reliever. There are some real head scratchers, so I’m holding out hope.

• The Big 3 says:

“I can’t see them being able to trade him. The Yankees aren’t going to eat $10M a year to watch him pitch good elsewhere”

FTFY

It’s a mental thing, Mike. You have to know it.

• Mike Axisa says:

So it’s a mental thing now, but wasn’t in 2009?

• The Big 3 says:

Do you believe in SIERA? I haven’t looked into it at all, but I can say, the difference in his peripherals between his ’09 and subsequent years is ridiculously nonexistent.

He’s blown up a bunch of innings this year. I don’t know why that is. He’s also shit-tons more talented than anyone on this staff except CC.

• flamingo says:

AJ is making what is almost certainly his last start on Thursday

One can only hope.

88. Greg says:

Yankees have no luck recently

89. Chip says:

There’s the ground ball Nova has been looking for all game

90. thaaaaaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

we can all dream, but the pure economics of it all will not only have AJ finishing the season, but maybe even making a start in the post season..as well as being back for 2012 and 2013.

• Mike Axisa says:

He won’t make a start in the playoffs unless two other starters get hurt.

• thaaaaaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

trust me, I hate it…but I just dont see them letting all that money sit. If Hughes, Nova, Colon, Garcia had these stats they would have been gone a long time ago. Hell Nova was sent down and he was having a great year

• Jetrer says:

the money won’t matter in the playoffs
          the only reason he got a playoff start last year was because the alternatives were Vazquez and Mitre

• Tom says:

This–AJ and the post-season–is one place where economics will dictate nothing. The Yanks know they’ll be laughed at from coast to coast if they give AJ a role.

In fact, economics may not matter so much as the final month advances, especially if the Yanks struggle and Tampa or LA begins threatening their wild card position. Not out of the question if NY has another catastrophe in Boston this week.

• The Big 3 says:

Well, this should be easy.

I will bet good money that AJ will start in the playoffs. I still believe he’ll follow CC, as well.

Of course he must get his act together first, but that would be my bet – that he will, along with him being the most prepared and talented starter after CC.

• Tom says:

Actually, it’s worse than being laughed at. If the Yanks used AJ in the post-season, hell, it would look like they were willing to THROW those games. Of course, they won’t use him.

Unless he has a September road-to-Damascus conversion into a winner.

• Steve S. says:

I don’t mind AJ starting for the Yanks in 2012 and 2013, as long as it’s only for the month of April both years.

Can we work that out somehow?

91. Jesse says:

Ivan Nova sure loves that sliiiiiiiider.

/Joe Morgan’d

92. Steve S. says:

Question for Mike. With the minor league season winding down, any idea which prospect will be on the RAB Watch for next year?

You’ve done Montero, you’ve done Banuelos. I guess Dealin Dellin is next?

93. Chip says:

Ugh, what beauty

94. Greg says:

Cano goes the other way!

95. flamingo says:

DONTCHA KNOW!

96. Esteban says:

Ribbinson don’t give a shit.

97. nsalem says:

A Camden Yards Special

98. CBean says:

um I’m pretty sure it’s not Cano’s 1st HR of the season.

99. Cy Pettitte says:

oppo bomb. yay Robbie

100. Ivan says:

Cano is good…but you guys know that already.

101. Cuso says:

I like Cano.

He seems like a good dude.

.. ..

102. CBean says:

YAY FOR BACK TO BACK!

103. Greg says:

Back to back

BELLY TO BELLY!

104. flamingo says:

Swish has been SO HOT.

105. Chip says:

You could see that one coming

106. Esteban says:

That’s Swisher, just padding his stats. Unless the Orioles score more runs, and this HR becomes meaningful.

107. Ivan says:

Swish, all net baby.

108. thaaaaaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

swish is on FIRE

109. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

In play, more run(s)!

110. tom says:

Swish was going to homer in that at bat no matter how many times they denied him

111. Jon says:

we are never going to win with all these rally killers on the team

112. Karl Krawfid says:

ESPN doesn’t let me see the mlb.com highlights.

Bullshit I tell you.

113. Esteban says:

Get out of town!

114. Chip says:

They’ve awakened the beast!

115. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

In play, even more runs!

116. CBean says:

hahahaha 3 in a row!

117. Guns of the Navarone says:

Waaaay too many home runs.

118. Greg says:

Three on a match!

119. Cy Pettitte says:

Andruw! back to back to back.

120. flamingo says:

OH MY GOD I CALLED THAT.

HA THIS GAME :D

(Lol Sterling’s call)

121. Ivan says:

Why are Homeruns so bad, but make me feel so goood!!!!!!!

122. CBean says:

no homerun martin? weak!

123. Cy Pettitte says:

that’s it? a shitty single? you suck Russell.

124. Steve S. says:

I hope nobody actually believed the Yanks were going to leave Baltimore without issuing at least one beat down.

• flamingo says:

It should be our calling card: Look what happens when you try to sweep us.

Yeah, three grand slams are better, but I’ll take back to back to back any day.

125. Ivan says:

Single?!?!?!?! Boooooooooo

126. Chip says:

Man, that slider looks like it should be no problem to hit but he’s gotten a bunch of swinging strikes on it already

127. AaronGuielWithASmile says:

Just tuning in, how has Nova pitched?

128. AaronGuielWithASmile says:

Dear God, it makes so much sense that Kay wants to write an autobiography with that stupid title.

Though I’ve gotta admit that “not anymore” was a good line

129. flamingo says:

All right, Nova!

130. AaronGuielWithASmile says:

Not gonna lie, I had no idea that Mark Hendrickson was still pitching.

131. flamingo says:

The Grandy man can!

132. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Grandy Man!!

133. Mike Axisa says:

Curtis slumped the shit out of that one.

134. Chip says:

So………two game slump over?

135. Jetrer says:

League Leader

136. CBean says:

ok, so definitely #cured.

137. Cy Pettitte says:

GRANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy shit

138. Esteban says:

Grandy don’t hurt ‘em

139. AaronGuielWithASmile says:

MVP

140. Karl Krawfid says:

38 bombs!!!!!!!!

141. Chip says:

Raise your hand if you thought Granderson would lead the majors in homers hit against lefties (by a lot) this season

142. Cuso says:

Oh nooo. Granderson is in a huge slump!!!!

143. thaaaaaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

in love with this team again

144. Esteban says:

As good as Curtis has been, August has been his best month.

145. AaronGuielWithASmile says:

Cano’s been a beast in the second half.

146. AaronGuielWithASmile says:

Here goes Kay with the wins again

• Cy Pettitte says:

I’m watching MASN, is he doing the thing where he’s like “how could they have taken him out of the rotation, he has 14 wins. 14 WINS.”?

147. Sarah says:

Geez, I go eat dinner and come back to 8-3, all home runs I see.

So the Gardy slump continues…

148. Esteban says:

Yankees really like to score a lot of runs for Nova. Sure, he’s settled down and pitched ok, but at the same time, he could have gotten a win even if he gave up 6 runs.

149. Cuso says:

Seriously, Granderson’s 2011 stat-line is going to look ridiculous.

I hope he can get his average to .285 or so.

His totals are going to end up being one of the 10 best Yankee seasons of all time. It’ll also be one of the two best of the last 40 years along with A-Rod’s MVP year.

• Esteban says:

I doubt that it’ll be one of the ten best, just in terms of pure numbers with no positional adjustment.

• Jon says:

Mickey Mantle+ (25) 12.5 1957
          Lou Gehrig+ (24) 12.0 1927
          Babe Ruth+ (31) 12.0 1926
          Mickey Mantle+ (29) 11.9 1961
          Babe Ruth+ (29) 11.9 1924

• nsalem says:

You’re getting a little dramatic here. Granderson has been great, but Babe Ruth by himself has had 10 better seasons than Granderson’s 2011.

• Jetrer says:

10th best Yankee OPS season was 1.194 (Lou Gehrig, 1930)
      Granderson has been great, but he’s not cracking the top 10

• Mike Axisa says:

Best offensive seasons by Yankee players, by OPS+. Granderson is 66th (not counting tonight).

• The Big 3 says:

Why do I get the feeling that if Granderson was hitting back then when starters were compiling 400+ inning seasons, he’d have broken 3 figures for HR’s in Ruth’s time?

Eh, must be just me. I’m sure it was tougher back then facing worn down pitchers exclusively throwing fastballs.

• nsalem says:

it’s just you

• nsalem says:

Unfortunately Granderson would not have been on the Yankee’s in the 1920s.

• The Big 3 says:

Now that is a good point, but also beside my point.

ERA+ and WRC+ may try to guage, but no way is the competition at all similar. Grandy would have hit 100+ HR’s back then. Back when the RF porch was move in for Ruth.

• nsalem says:

I think that’s not the case but (if you’re being serious) thats your opinion and you’re entitled to it. However I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that would agree with you and as I said before it’s my opinion that it’s just you.

• The Big 3 says:

That’s good to hear. I would hate having to resign to other peoples opinions on everything.

• nsalem says:

a) People didn’t throw just fastballs in the 20′s.
              b) Baseball was the dominant professional sport back then which paid the most money and the best athletes gravitated towards baseball.
              c) Starting pitchers are generally superior to relief pitchers and batters faced fewer of them.
              d) There were half as many teams back then so there are twice as many pitchers now. The bottom 50% of pitchers in the majors now wouldn’t even be in the major leagues.

150. Jetrer says:

Nice game by Nova
    Shaky start, but finished strong.

151. Jetrer says:

Have they announced the roster move to activate Garcia tomorrow?
    I guessing they send Nova down so they don’t have a short bullpen.

• mbonzo says:

I bet they just pitch CC tomorrow. If anyone goes down its Noesi.

• Cy Pettitte says:

no way, CC will pitch against the sox. the move will be to send down Noesi, which isn’t a big deal it’s only for 2 days.

• Cy Pettitte says:

oh wait, would they have to wait to call him back up again or is that voided by the rosters expanded?

• Jetrer says:

I believe that is voided by roster expansion, which is why I think Nova will be the move, since he won’t pitch again until after rosters expand anyways

• mbonzo says:

I always assumed thats not possible, otherwise we’d see teams doing that with half their pitchers the last week of August.

• Chip says:

Well if they don’t have options then you can’t do it. Also, most teams aren’t desperate for bullpen help/using a 6 man rotation at just the right time for it to work

• Jetrer says:

think they are saving CC to pitch Tuesday against Boston. I’m guessing Nova will be sent down so they don’t have to play 3 days with a short bullpen. Nova’s next start won’t be until after rosters expand anyways, so I believe he can be called back up in time for his next start.

152. tut says:

Is Nova’s slider developing into a serious out pitch?

153. Chip says:

When you take two first ballot hall of famers out of your lineup and still score 8 runs……..you might have a good offense

154. CBean says:

what’s our rotation for the red sox series?

155. flamingo says:

Cano walks slooowly back. Martin walks slooowly back.

LOL, Susyn

156. Cy Pettitte says:

Nova gets the bases warmed up for DRob, how nice of him

157. tom says:

For a second there I was worried Giraardi wasn’t going to take Nova out…continuing the “leave them in there till the game’s just about to tilt” pattern of earlier this week. Glad to see Joe’s got a quicker hook this time. (Presuming, of course, effective bullpen work)

158. CBean says:

wait, why are they bring D-Rob in?

159. Chip says:

Is it just me or did D-Rob not throw 95 when he first came up? I remember him being in the 89-91 range originally but now he’s constantly 92-95

160. Jetrer says:

thats a swing

161. Cy Pettitte says:

that’s a K, stupid ump.

162. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Sterling says DRob has been the most surprising Yankee. More than Colon and Garcia?

• thaaaaaaaaaaaayankeeswin says:

low expectations for those two…where as DRob really solidified a bullpen that everyone thought would fall apart after Joba, Soriano and Feliciano went on the DL

• Jetrer says:

not for me. I expected DRob to be good, though not this good.
      I expected very little from Garcia and nothing from Colon.

163. flamingo says:

DRob is my HERO.

164. Esteban says:

K-Rob just being K-Rob

165. Jetrer says:

Houdini strikes again!!!!

166. Chip says:

Unbelievable

167. Greg says:

That’s your Rolaids reliever of the year right there.

168. Cy Pettitte says:

DRob is breaking off some filthy curves

that was a pitching masterpiece. just wow.

169. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Beast-Rob

170. Frigidevil says:

How do they score that strikeout-in-the-dirt-step-on-plate, K2?

171. mbonzo says:

In Robertson’s last 13 games, 12.1 IP, he’s struck out 16 (11.7 K/9), walked 2 (8.0 K/BB, 1.46 BB/9), and allowed 6 hits. (0.648 WHIP)

172. Cy Pettitte says:

look at Curtis stat-pad his avg.

173. Sarah says:

What can I do to end the Gardy slump? Please, someone, tell me what I can do. He had the better part of two days off. I thought that would help!

174. Nuke LaDoosh says:

I was kind of hoping the O’s would get 2 runs so Mo could get a save.

175. Stratman9652 says:

Seriously, name a better bullpen right now. I’ll wait.

176. Cuso says:

Noesi getting some work in before he gets sent down tomorrow

177. nsalem says:

D-Rob Arb eligible in 2012. What do the Yankee’s offer?

178. Cy Pettitte says:

Hector gets the 9th because he’s the closer in training

/conspiracytheories

179. Chip says:

Scouting report on O’s: Throw them nothing but sliders

180. Esteban says:

Put it on the left side

181. Esteban says:

Yankees down 1 game in the loss column to the Red Sox. Time to panic!

182. nsalem says:

It’s whose behind us that worries me.

183. Roland Deschain says:

Ivan Nova picks up his 14th W tonight as he furthers the game between him and Michael Pineda for ROY.

Also furthering the gap was Curtis Granderson who is your AL MVP frontrunner, no question about it.