Aug

Ravel Santana’s injury: broken ankle and torn ligaments

Saturday afternoon we heard that Rookie Level GCL Yankees outfielder Ravel Santana suffered a “brutal” ankle injury, and Dante Bichette Jr. tweeted the diagnosis: it’s broken in two places with a bunch of torn ligaments. The play-by-play indicates that it happened on a stolen base attempt, so it sounds like one of those hideous Stephen Drew/Jason Kendall/spike gets caught and foot gets twisted around type of injuries. Just awful.

Santana, 19, had a .426 wOBA with a ton of power (nine homers, .273 ISO) and speed (10-for-13 in stolen base attempts) in 40 GCL games. The Yankees landed him for just $145k back in 2009, and the scouting report is exciting. Based on what happened with Kendall and Drew, there’s a chance Ravel will be back in time for Spring Training, but there’s no way to know for sure.

Categories : Asides, Injuries, Minors

1. Dropped third superstar says:

Terrible… My prayers are with this kid

2. Jerome S. says:

Oh my God, I just hope he can walk in due time.

3. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

A real shame with those numbers. Let’s hope he can recover in due time and continue.

4. Frank says:

Dammit! This kid was my favorite prospect. Hope he heals ok!

5. Reggie C. says:

Well, its a bad injury as suspected. Good thing he’s only 19 because something like gets only harder to bounce back from with age.

6. Mister Delaware says:

Sucks. I always feel 10x worse for minor leaguers who get hurt than I do for MLBers.

7. Gonzo says:

You never know. Maybe this injury makes him take his workout and routine to the next level. It’s not crazy to think he would come back with a more determined mindset.

8. A.D. says:

Good chance it could sap some of his footspeed & stolen base ability

9. puttin' it out there says:

Any injury is a potential problem for their futures. The ankle is one of the worst joints to tear up because it is one of the most complex, and on top of that, it has a lot of weight to bear.

A knee or arm is more likely to heal well than is an ankle. He might be able to play on it, might be able to recover, but it will probably trouble him the rest of his life. Especially due to the ligament damages.

Really tough on him.

10. Dennis says:

Santana and heathcott injured and williams hasn’t played in 2 straight games. Not good for our 3 best CF prospects.

11. Rookie says:

Having suffered a bad ankle injury myself and never having been the same afterwards, I find it hard to imagine that he’ll ever be the same player he was – or that he’ll have the same upside he had — before the injury.

Here’s hoping modern technology proves me wrong and that I’m wrong in any case.