Aug

Sunday Linkage: Bat Boy, Waivers, A-Rod

Never was a fan of 8pm ET starts on Sundays, but what can you do. Here’s a few links to help pass the time this afternoon…

“Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho’s.”

The Post published an exclusive article by Luis Castillo today, not the player but the former Yankees’ bat boy. He worked for the team from 1998-2005, and was part of the last group of bat boys that did not have to sign confidentiality agreements. He’s got a memoir called “Clubhouse Confidential” coming out, but revealed some of his favorite moments in the linked article. Castillo wrote about Derek Jeter‘s nicknaming habits, being Alex Rodriguez‘s personal assistant, Hideki Matsui‘s battle cry before Game Seven of the 2004 ALCS, and lots more. Check it out, it’s a must read.

Yankees aggressively blocking players on waivers

The trade deadline has passed but teams can still make deals once they go through the trade waiver process. It’s usually not much of an obstacle, but it’s part of the process. Peter Gammons says the Yankees have been the “heaviest on blocking claims,” starting pitchers in particular, meaning they’re claiming players off trade waivers to prevent them from going to other teams. Teams can pull a player back if they’re claimed on trade waivers, but the risk is that they can award you the player and his contract (see Rios, Alex). The Yankees definitely aren’t putting claims in on players with bad contracts (like Carlos Zambrano), but they’re probably gobbling up everyone else. Whether or not they make a trade for one of the guys they’re claiming is a different matter all together.

A-Rod unlikely to be suspended for poker allegations

Surprise! MLB will not suspend A-Rod for this latest round of poker allegations according to Todd Venezia. No wait, that’s not a surprise at all. Instead, Alex “will be warned again and not lightly” according to one of Venezia’s sources. I’m sure that will teach him a lesson.

Categories : Links

1. V says:

“Joelsherman1
    I heard not 1-day thing #Yankees going with Chavez DH for while. If that not work will try Montero, but no immediate plans to call Montero”

So effing stupid.

• Kiersten says:

It sucks, but where are you gonna put him? There’s already gonna be a logjam when A-Rod comes back.

As much as they should, the Yankees are not releasing Posada three weeks before rosters expand.

• Esteban says:

Andrew Marchand
      Girardi days Posada is not going to start games in near term
      less than 1 minute ago

• mbonzo says:

If the organization offers Posada the remainder of his contract to retire, I still don’t think he’d take it.

• Pants Lendelton says:

BryanHoch Posada says he’s been told Yankees need to keep best lineup on field… which no longer involves him.

I don’t think Bryan should’ve added in that last quip “which no longer involves him”. Isn’t that a little unprofessional?

• Pants Lendelton says:

Not gonna complain as much as I would love for Montero to get some DH at bats , I’d rather split the DH spot with Chavez/Jones over Posada.

2. Zack D says:

I hope ARod laughs in Bud’s face during his warning

3. Kiersten says:

That article was awesome.

Why am I not surprised that Joe Torre was more concerned about horse racing in the dugout than he was the game?

• Rick says:

“Moose is tired? Get somebody up. Who? I don’t know… who is in the bullpen? Proctor. Yeah, that’s his name. Use Proctor. Now shut up; I’m halfway to hitting the Pick 4 at Gulfstream and it’s post time.”

4. LawStudent says:

Warned again, and not lightly? Reminds me of that scene from Team America World Police.

“I’m sorry, but the UN must be firm with you. Let me see your whole palace, or else”

“Or else what?”

“Or else… we will be very, very angry with you… and we will write you a letter, telling you how angry we are. “

5. a.hinds says:

“Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho’s.”

6. Esteban says:

I guess I should have known how much of a diva A-Rod is, but jeez, making them put your toothbrush out in a specific spot with toothpaste is a little too much.

And finally, a little insight into the real Jeter. He would greet everyone by saying “whats up biatches,” barely acknowledged Bill Clinton in the clubhouse, and had his friends tell girls to meet him elsewhere so he wouldn’t be seen picking up chicks. The Jeter 3K was cool, but provided almost no insight into what Jeter is really like.

• Dino Velvet says:

He also has them remove the red M&Ms

• Dino Velvet says:

“but provided no insight into what Jeter is really like.”
      ————————————

I think that’s the real Jeter. He’s a bore.

• Esteban says:

I think that’s the way he wants to come off. The little bits and pieces that come out, like this article, leads me to believe he’s just mastered hiding his personality. Plus, yeah he’s the SS of the Yankees and super-rich, but I don’t think he could date (not just one night stand) all these beautiful celebrities he’s been with.

• JohnnyC says:

Most celebrities are bores. As boring as their fans are. Or their detractors. As a society we should stop obsessing about the lives of celebrities and quit being voyeurs.

7. Pants Lendelton says:

Another Link which I think is a good read (somewhat) in today’s NY Post a interview with Gordon Blakely

8. Urban says:

They are going to warn him to participate in high-stake poker games that are almost assuredly not illegal the way they are structured and not to play with questionable characters such as Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCarprio? Please.

I really would like to see them try and suspend A-Rod and then watch the legal antics that will result in MLB losing, and perhaps losing future rights to discipline players. That’s why MLB will never proceed here. They are in the wrong and they stand to lose far more than A-Rod.

• JohnnyC says:

“They are in the wrong and they stand to lose far more than A-Rod.”

When has that stopped Selig before?

9. #24!!!! says:

That article was a good read. It’s really interesting to hear from the insiders what every fan is dying to find out about. Funny about Matsui!

10. Ivan says:

Wow that article is pretty amazing. Jeter is great in terms of knowing to play the media as the this godly and innocent type of guy but in reality is just a dirty comedian who likes pretty women.

And look, I like A-Rod, but geez, I gotta admit, he sure acts like a high-maintenanc diva. But hey, it must be cool to witness A-Rod with two bad bitches walking and then after that gives you $200…nice.

And the whole “Kick ass, Pop Champange and get Ho’s” line is classic.

11. ItsATarp says:

I think i heard about Arod being high Maintenance from somewhere else as well. Can’t quite remember with all these Arod tell alls.

12. Charles says:

Oh god…Schilling is a guest on ESPN, this is gonna be a long night…

13. Engelbert says:

Squeegee is almost as bad of a nickname as Chicken Lips

14. Avi Atkin says:

Fun read, no doubt.

15. alex says:

Somewhat interesting read, but hard to verify the kids stories. And plus he gets thousands of dollars in tips, and then does what Torre did, bringing the inner workings of the clubhouse into the public eye. Shameful.

16. Pasqua says:

Castillo’s excerpt reads like a kid trying to tell stories that he THNIKS would come out of a Major League clubhouse. They may very well be true (and I’m skeptical, especially of A-Rod’s homer bragging, because if that’s true, he apparently brags like someone explaining baseball to a 3-year-old) but the level of storytelling seems too “perfect.”

17. lower case j says:

I like to picture A Rod, upon seeing his toothbrush all pasted up, screaming in a Half Baked Samson voice, “Bitch, I told you I wanted Cinnamon Sparkle!”