Aug

Sunday Night Open Thread

You know what’s great about this afternoon’s win? What Ivan Nova did to the Twins is basically what the Twins wish their pitchers would do each time out. Pitch to contact and get quick outs when you can, then reach back for the strikeouts when you need them. Good stuff from the kid, who’s certainly got the flashy stats (namely wins) to make a serious run at the Rookie of the Year Award.

Anywhere, that’s a video of an outfielder turning a triple play after the ball hits him in the head (h/t Ian Casselberry), and this is your open thread. The ESPN Sunday Night game features two teams in the middle of a heated race for a playoff spot the Cardinals and Cubs, and not even the pitching matchup is interesting: Jake Westbrook vs. Rodrigo Lopez. Yuck. That what they get for slaving to big market teams and rivalries. Talk about whatever you want right here, anything goes.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Here’s a GIF I made of the ball bouncing off the guy’s head:

2. Cy Pettitte says:

so AJ has a terrible outing, cuts his hair and dyes it blonde. Has another terrible outing and shaves it all off. If he has another bad outing does he buy a wig?

3. Nuke Ladoosh says:

Yawn. Looks like a good night’s sleep to finish the weekend.

4. swishers fauxhawk says:

The rain has been unbelievable lately.

5. FIPster Doofus says:

I kind of hate the Cubs. They get way too much national exposure for being such an awful team.

6. Jimmy McNulty says:

So, UFC got the Fox contract. That’s pretty huge for them and a great get for Fox.

• Dropped Third Superstar says:

Wow, that sports exploding huh?

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Yeah a friend of mine is an avid UFC fan and a cage fighter in his own right. I’m more of a casual fan, him and I had an argument regarding the best way of executing this. I told him that a SuperCard after the Super Bowl with the biggest names in the sport: Brock Lesnar, Tito Ortiz, Anderson Silva, George St. Pierre, and guys like that on a Primetime Sunday night card. Advertise like a motherfucker and get people who have never seen a UFC fight, but recognize these names, to go for the gold. He suggests using their secondary brand, Strikeforce, on the Sunday night card to go and throw the net. Sigh…

• Xstar7 says:

For the UFC’s sake, I sure hope they don’t get BuckCarver to call their matches.

7. Avi says:

The Yankee DH position is the weakest it’s been heading into September since Jeter became a big leaguer.

• Thank God, I was starting to worry that there’d be nothing to complain about.

• JohnnyC says:

We shoulda buried them. Just sayin’

• MannyGeee says:

‘andandandandandand…..ummmmm

AJ SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!11!!!’

there you go…

• Avi says:

Makes you wonder if they weren’t planning to go to Montero as the DH why didn’t they add a bat?
          This is clearly a team that has a legit chance to win a championship, You have to improve it as much as you can. I find it hard to believe they couldn’t trade for a hitter better than Posada/Chavez.

• I find it hard to believe they couldn’t trade for a hitter better than Posada/Chavez.

I find it easy to believe that the hitters better than Posada/Chavez were not available for remotely reasonable prices.

Next year’s team also has a legit chance to win a championship, and you shouldn’t trade good players from it for a small marginal upgrade from the decent platoon production you’re getting from Posada/Chavez for this year.

• bexarama says:

Are you purposefully leaving out Andruw Jones, too?

• Xstar7 says:

Andruw Jones sucks. Let’s trade him for someone good like Andre Ethier.

• Pat D says:

Hey! I remember you!!

Was it you who wrote that Tigers winning with other teams’ talent article on SweetSpot. If so, major kudos, if only for all the idiots in the comments whining about not understanding wOBA.

• Xstar7 says:

Get your wOBA and your other advanced stats out of my face. When did baseball become a sport for math geeks? I’ve been following the MLB since 19(insert your favorite double digit # here) and I used to think I was stat geek. You have to see these guys play everyday to get the full scoop.

/commenters on Bexy’s ESPN article’d

• Pat D says:

Yea, that was it. I made a few comments on other people’s posts, but once I saw it denigrate to that level, I ran away.

• bexarama says:

I didn’t pick that title and it wasn’t what I was really going for in the article haha. But yeah, pretty cool :D

I didn’t even read the comments. I know a friend left a troll comment about not understanding wOBA that apparently got all kinds of comments though haha.

• Pat D says:

I think there ended up being a lot of those.

Congrats on making the big time! Since, a lot of people read ESPN or something. Like me.

• Avi says:

No, I like Andruw against lefties. Just would’ve liked to see them add someone to hit against righties.

TSJC: There had to be a hitter that represented an upgrade over Posada/Chavez that they could have added without giving up the A prospects. Josh Willingham?

I was ok with them not adding a bat cuz I figured they were just bringing up Jesus. But now that they haven’t I can’t understand it.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

No, I like Andruw against lefties. Just would’ve liked to see them add someone to hit against righties….Josh Willingham?

Fun fact # 1: Josh Willingham bats from the right side.

Fun fact # 2: Jesus Montero bats from the right side.

8. Jesse says:

Holy Fuck, that’s the greatest triple play I’ve ever seen.

9. Jesse says:

Anyone watching the Jets/Bengals game? Plaxico Burress caught a 20 yard pass on his first play.

10. MannyB ace2be says:

So who does everyone think the yanks go after in free agency this winter and/or what are some crazy trades that might happen this winter. For example how crazy would it be if the angels knowing that weaver is a boras client and can’t resign him they trade him to yanks

• JohnnyC says:

Real crazy cause I don’t want him. His soft tossing won’t cut it in the AL East longterm. Plus, he’s uglier than his brother.

• steve (different one) says:

This is kindof nutty. Weaver would do just fine in the AL East, esp if he didn’t have to pitch to the Yankees.

• mbonzo says:

A flyball pitcher in the small AL East stadiums against the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles, and Rays. No thanks when you’re giving up half your farm.

• steve (different one) says:

Oh, I wouldn’t give up half the farm for him either. Just disagree that he wouldn’t be able to pitch for the Yankees.

• steve (different one) says:

I will also concede that I don’t know enough about him to know if his personality would be a good fit. Because of his brother, I’m sure he’d be facing a fairly skeptical fanbase.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I’m sure they’ll be in on Wilson, Jackson and Darvish.

• MannyGeee says:

they have to be in on ANYONE who has ever thrown a baseball next season… at least sniffing around on them….

• FIPster Doofus says:

Yeah, thinking about next year’s rotation is weird. Garcia and Colon have been key this year, but I don’t really expect either back next season. Who fills their spots will be interesting.

• mbonzo says:

Options-
      Cano
      Swisher

Arbitration-
      Freddy Garcia

Sign-
      CC Sabathia
      Edwin Jackson
      Eric Chavez

Minor league deals-
      Jeremy Hermida
      Scott Kazmir

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Sign AJ Burnett 2.0, great idea! He’ll require probably like 3/37 or so, no thanks.

• Cuso says:

Ick.

You want them to go after EdJack?

CC has to be reworked, obviously.

CC, Burnett, Nova, Hughes are obviously in.

Probably too soon for Manny or Dellin. But maybe Phelps or Warren get a shot. Offer arb to Freddy probably. It’s likely hat 4 guys will compete in ST for #5 job.

Yanks won’t be signing big-time SP until 2012 off-season when some swinging dicks become available ( Cain is a very likely target).

• mbonzo says:

Chris Carpenter or Hiroki Kuroda are in the play, but I think Edwin Jackson makes the most sense. Young guy who’s undervalued around the league and shown that his stuff is still improving. He’s got a 3.54 xFIP on a .332 BABIP. With his velocity, movement, and control he’s got the potential to be a breakout ace in his prime years. Much more potential and value than CJ Wilson and the price wouldn’t prohibit the Yankees from signing another pitcher to replace Garcia/AJ in 2013.

Finally, I’m not gonna count on Banuelos and Betances in the rotation, plain and simple, don’t count your chickens before they hatch.

• Charles says:

Please no Edwin Jackson, yes his basic peripherals look ok, but if you actually take a look at him, hes mediocre and not worth the contract he will likely command. He has a 1.44 WHIP, .332 BABIP, and he has 36% Fly Balls, and by looking at his pitch breakdown you can see he’s basically an AJ 2.0, I’d rather not spend money to have 2 AJs on the same team.

Also why Kazmir? The guy got lit up in A ball this year in his rehab starts and his velocity was down around the 84-85 range.

• bobtaco says:

Weaver re-signed today for 5 years / 85M, so that is that…

11. What would you give up to get Terrelle Pryor? I’d give up a 5th rounder.

12. Avi says:

Ubaldo:
    3.1 Innings, 3 Walks, 9 hits, 2 Homers allowed and 8 Earned runs.

13. Dropped Third Superstar says:

since the deadline….
    Nova< Hughes<Ubaldo<Shit on the floor<AJ

14. Jesse says:

So, the SWB game got suspended. They’ll finish that game up tomorrow, and after that game is completed they play their regular scheduled game. I heard Freddy Garcia was supposed to pitch tomorrow, and it is also Manny Banuelos’ turn to pitch. Can Freddy Garcia pitch in the resumption of the suspended game and then Manny pitch the regular game?

15. JD says:

What was that I heard about Nova not being in the same class as other pitchers vying for ROY. Crickets …

• MannyGeee says:

Well, that would be about Nova not having True Prospect Status(TM).

I am glad he came to play this season, now all the ledge jumpers can take the “Yankees can’t grow pitching from within” arguement and shove it up their asses. their collective asses.

16. Bronx Byte says:

Any chance the Yankees traveling secretary didn’t have a plane ticket for Burnett and left him in Minnesota ?

17. Why is it yellow outside?

18. Captain Beatty says:

Playoff rotation-

CC
    Hughes
    Nova
    Bartolo

If Bartolo tires down the stretch Freddy is #5. Noesi makes the playoff bullpen and is next in line for an emergency start. AJ Burnett is left off the postseason roster.

• Jesse says:

I’ve had this for the last two weeks…
      CC
      Nova
      Hughes
      Garcia

Then, Colon to the bullpen because he’s starting to wear down. Burnett off the postseason roster. That gives you seven other relievers. Thus it’d probably be Mo, Robertson, Soriano, Logan, Wade, Ayala, and Noesi.

• Dropped Third Superstar says:

I think they go with 11 pitchers and leave Noesi off too.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

RIGHT NOW, this is what I’m thinking…

If we play AL central winner:
        CC

Garcia
        CC on 3 days rest
        Colon
        Nova
        CC

Bullpen: Mo DRob, Soriano, Logan, Wade, Noesi/Ayala
        Bench: Chavez, Jones, Nunie, Posada, Golson/Dickerson with Chavez/Jones/Posada DHing.

• Kiersten says:

The only time CC should get more than 3 days’ rest during this postseason is if we sweep a series and have a bunch of days off in between.

With the drop off being so huge to the next guys, you gotta get your money’s worth out of CC.

• Dropped Third Superstar says:

Gees alot of faith in hughes for a few good starts? But i guess he is our best option if Bartolo starts flopping.

19. Jimmy McNulty says:

Does anyone really want Darvish? He’ll cost a lot more than Matsuzaka, but the NPB imports tend to be shells of their former selves when they get to the bigs. Matsui was their best import and he went from perennial MVP, basically Albert Pujols, to merely a good player. Matsuzaka’s numbers in Japan were awesome, and he was fairly underwhelming in his major league career. I’m not sure I want to drop 130M on Darvish.

• Dropped Third Superstar says:

Darvish = Matsuzaka 2.0

I bet a smaller market team like the O’s or Nat’s get him. Don’t see the Yanks or Bosox getting involved.

• a.hinds says:

what about ichiro? he’s a first ballot hall of famer

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Yeah, I looked at Ichiro’s advanced stats and he racked up 52 career WAR so far, so yeah he’s easily the best. Ichiro’s skill set translated better than any other NPB import bat.

• nick says:

darvish is younger and better than Dice- k

• Jimmy McNulty says:

He’s younger, but is he better than Dice-K? Remember the 2006 WBC? Matsuzaka looked filthy there, BP’s PECOTA projected like a 3.86 ERA in Fenway park, lower than Jake Peavy and several other good pitchers.

Darvish will be 26 when he’s posted, same age as Matsuzaka, his ERA’s are lower than Dice-Ks and he’s pitching fewer innings. From the Japanese stats of Dice-K their K-rates look similar. Of course there’s league context, defense, and other things to take into account when comparing stats. He does appear to have an edge, but Matsuzaka’s been pretty bad. Well below league average throughout his career, although he’s been plagued with injuries (perhaps from throwing too many innings, something that Darvish has NOT suffered from), he still hasn’t been all that good even when healthy. That being said, for the type of money that will be spent on Darvish being better than Matsuzaka isn’t good enough. Better than Matsuzaka is a league average three starter…is that really what you want out of a pitcher that’ll take at least a 40M dollar posting fee?

• Avi says:

Totally agree with Jimmy. I wouldn’t touch Darvish. You can’t put any stock in Japanese league stats. Matsui was their BABE RUTH. Matsuzaka’s hype was AT LEAST equal to Darvish’s. I cringe every time I hear his name mentioned with the Yanks.

• I haven’t looked into the Darvish situation enough to have an informed opinion on whether I want him in pinstripes or not, but I do highly doubt it’ll take $130M to get it done.

I mean, someone correct me if I’m totally off-base here, but aren’t we looking at maybe half that? Why in the world would anyone give him $130M?

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Matzuzaka got a 51M posting fee and a 52M contract. 103M all together, inflation, and the increased hype for Darvish not to mention that a lot of people think he’s better than Darvish. So I think 130M all together would be perfectly

• Yeah, but everyone’s seen how that Matsuzaka situation worked out in the end. I don’t know, put me down as one person who will be surprised if the bidding + contract gets into that neighborhood.

• Not to mention… Just saying “inflation” doesn’t necessarily get you there. A-Rod signed a contract in 2001 that’s still bigger than any contract signed by any player not named A-Rod.

There’s big hype for Darvish, but it’s no bigger than the hype was for Matsuzaka. I think this $130M figure is way heavy, but whatever. Agree to disagree.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Another point I’d like to add: Darvish is being marketed as WAY, WAY better than Matsuzaka. I recall reading somewhere that his posting fee might hit 60M. The history and NPB legacy of Matsuzaka is already being rewritten, and Matsuzaka is basically being portrayed as merely a good starter and Darvish as their equivalent of Roy Halladay. One big Dice-K problem was his injuries, he was injured in Japan and threw a shit load of innings. Darvish hasn’t been injured and is throwing fewer innings than Matsuzaka did. It’s a blind option and if there’s a team that wants to bring in a Japanese fanbase, I’m sure they’ll bid pretty pretty high.

• “The history and NPB legacy of Matsuzaka is already being rewritten, and Matsuzaka is basically being portrayed as merely a good starter and Darvish as their equivalent of Roy Halladay.”

But re-writing history about Matsuzaka’s hype is totally irrelevant. What matters is the perception at the time Matsuzaka came stateside, and at that time, he was billed as the Japanese Cy Young.

When Matsuzaka was posted, the hype was every bit as fevered, if not moreso, than it is right now regarding Darvish.

Only time will tell on the Darvish posting/contract, we’ll see. I’m interested to see how it turns out, maybe I’m totally off on this.

• whozat says:

You also have to factor in that Matsuzaka and Igawa have probably made teams gunshy about the hype. Kuroda’s enough of a success story that I’m sure teams will still be interested.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Not that I’m anti-Darvish, but if the Yankees are going to throw huge money at a pitcher this winter, CJ Wilson would be the safer option. Of course, he also has some accompanying negatives (age, control, short track record).

20. nick says:

Sorry cubies but your better off getting fielder jerseys

21. Bronx Byte says:

Yes sir Captain Beatty, I agree with your playoff rotation 1000%.

22. Kramerica Industries says:

As far as playoff implications go, what a shitty SNB game.

Two teams dreadfully out of the playoff race as what they got stuck with. Oh well.

23. Alibaba says:

Nova and Hughes’ outings are making AJ the odd man out. I hope Girardi will have the guts to take him out of rotation. When the former two had to respond, they did. AJ could not, so far this season.

24. Ivan says:

I am going make my bold prediction for the NFL season:

The Detroit Lions will win the NFC division and will even win a playoff game.

• Captain Beatty says:

How do they get past Green Bay? The Packers team that was loaded last year on offense has now added the injured Ryan Grant and Jermichael Finley back as well as the addition of 2nd round draft pick Randall Cobb. All pro TE, 5 WRs deep, best QB in the game, solid RB tandem. Returning one of the best defenses from last season. Stafford can’t stay healthy and they will not beat Green Bay for the division.

25. Dropped Third Superstar says:

Anyone think trading Montero if a good starter becomes available and signing prince to a 4-6 year deal to be a DH is a good Idea?

My buddy was talking about it, told him he was crazy, what do you guys think?

• Prince will require a mammoth contract, you’ll pay for part of his decline, fat sluggers are a bit more prone to falling off a cliff than athletic sluggers (i.e. Mo Vaughn, Prince’s dad), and there’s zero chance you can gain any positional value by giving him starts at a non-DH position (i.e. catcher).

With Hughes/Nova/Noesi/Warren/Banuelos/Betances/etc., plus Wilson/Jackson/Darvish available this winter and a bumper crop of pitchers scheduled to be available next one, yes. swapping 20-year-old, dirt-cheap, occasionally compared to Frank Thomas possible catcher Jesus Montero for a #2 starter and 27 year old really good but soon to be paid 20M plus per Prince Fielder is a bad idea.

26. Esteban says:

Have missed most of the LLWS, but this Mexico-Japan game has been fun.

• Pat D says:

I root against everyone in the LLWS now.

After seeing that kid admire his home run a few weeks ago, and remembering that one New York team that was doing nothing but chest-thumping and pounding a few years ago, I’d just like to slap the shit out of these fucking kids.

I can’t understand how their coaches tolerate this shit. Any kid I ever played baseball with tried to pull that, they’d be running for entire practices on end.

• Dropped Third Superstar says:

Kid on my varsity team last year didn’t hustle out a ground ball and was given suicides till he pewked, my coach honestly would have killed us if we admired a homerun.

• Pat D says:

When I was the older kid on the levels I played, I’d police stuff myself since there was usually multiple things happening in practices.

I told the story a few weeks ago of one kid who liked to hot dog running the bases when we did situations and scrimmages. I ran him over in the outfield one day when we where shagging fly balls and he never pulled that shit again.

• Dropped Third Superstar says:

I was at a tee ball game earlier this year for my cousin and he hit one over the fence they set up for a home run. He did the bob gibson fist pump and slide into home, greatest tee ball moment ever.

• Jerome S. says:

Our coaches won’t do anything but the other players on the team would beat the shit out of him.

27. Cy Pettitte says:

Weaver gets a 5yr/85m extension, scratch that one off the list.

28. ultimate913 says:

#angels have signed jered weaver to extension. press conf tuesday, team announces

weaver got 85M for 5 yrs. #angels

That leaves Hamels, Greinke annndddd ??????

• mbonzo says:

Cain, Danks, Liriano, amongst some very good pitchers who can become #1/#2s.

• nycsportzfan says:

isn’t Haren a possible FA After 2012 as well?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Cain is not a number one or two in the AL East in YS3. Danks was never a 1 or 2. Greinke unfortunately will be passed. Hamels is a must get.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Danks was never a two? I strongly disagree with that.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

He had one year in 2008. That’s pretty much it though.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Danks is durable and basically good for 200 innings, an ERA in the high threes and three-plus fWAR every year. He’d be a competent complement to Sabathia or any other legit ace.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Career tERA: 4.64
                Career xFIP: 4.13
                Career SIERA: 3.70
                Career ERA: 3.95

Skill wise he’s much closer to league average than number two.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Gotta factor in his ability to stay healthy and eat up innings. He’s at worst a No. 3, IMO. Burnett’s 2009 numbers are essentially what I’d take from a No. 2 in the rotation. Not spectacular, but decent and durable. Thirty-plus starts, 200ish innings. That’s Danks.

• Cy Pettitte says:

Shaun Marcum could be a good under-the-radar type guy as a #2 or #3 starter. Proven in the AL East and a free agent in 2013.

29. Dropped Third Superstar says:

Cain, and or Hamels would look great in pin stripes.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Matt Cain has a career 7.44 K/9 in the NL West along with a career 3.23 BB/9. I like those numbers when it was Hiroki Kuroda for one year but Cain is going to be overbid by someone. He’s a flyball guy and since he’ll play not only in Yankee Stadium but the bandboxes of Fenway, Arlington, Camden Yards and the Rogers Center his HR rate will go up. If we equalize his HR rate to league average he’s a 4.00 ERA pitcher which is league average.

No thank you.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Using your logic this guy is an ace among aces. He’s better than Roy Halladay, Felix Hernandez, CC Sabathia and Jon lester combined.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

This guy is a Hall of Famer due to this game. Give him 90 million dollars.

Based on that game I PRAY that the Yankees get rid of him. DFA please.

• nsalem says:

That’s an ignorant response. Please tell me you’re being sarcastic.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Please tell me your first reply was sarcastic. Because that would clear this whole thing up because I didn’t think you were the one to rely on using one game.

• nsalem says:

I’m not being sarcastic and every additional comment you are making is getting progressively sillier, childish and irrelevant. What does CC and Aj have to do with this. You mentioned that because he is a fly ball pitcher he would get hammered in the bandboxes of the AL such as Boston and Texas. I pointed out that he pitched a great game at Fenway nothing more or less. He has pitched 4 games in Philly and given up 7 HR, but he has pitched well at Coors and has 3 starts at Turner without yielding a Home Run. His road numbers are pretty close to his home numbers so I think your assumption that he would be a bad fit in the AL East has no validity whatsoever. You make things worse when you rant in a jibberish manner when someone disagrees with you. Cain pitched 21 scoreless innings over his 3 playoff start last year. Personally I think that is meaningful statistic and would love to see him in a Yankee uniform. It is this combined with his body of work over the last 6 years is why I consider him to be a bona fide number 2 starter. I never suggested he is in the class of Sabathia and Lee. You said that to defend a meaningless point. It is my subjective opinion and feel free to disagree with it. i just think all of your responses were superficial and stupid.

• nsalem says:

also in his home start against the Rangers two years ago he gave up 3 hits in 8 innings and he has had over 30 starts every year since 2006.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Hamels. The Phillies probably won’t be able to extend him with all those contracts they have, and he is pitching very well in a band box park, so you can’t really say he won’t do well in YS3.

30. Captain Beatty says:

You can’t add a 2nd wildcard team and tell the Yankees or Red Sox(Or the Braves for that matter) that they have to win a 1 game playoff against a vastly inferior opponent.

Going up against James Shields in one game winner take all just isn’t fair if the top 2 teams finish 10+ games ahead of the Rays. If MLB does this they need to put in a clause where if the top WC team is a certain # of games ahead of the 2nd WC team there is no playoff chance for the 2nd WC team.

• Pat D says:

I’ve been saying this for months.

Either you keep the divisions as is, add a 2nd wild card team, and have those two teams play a best of 3, OR, you just scrap the divisions and balance the schedules. That’s the only way a one-game playoff between wild card teams can be fair.

31. Jesse says:

What are the odds that Manny Banuelos AND Dellin Betances start games for the Yankees at any point next season?

32. iloveyoubartolo says:

Good deal for the Angels. The obvious comparison is with Beckett, not Hernandez/Verlander.

33. Greg says:

Why is Bobby V going off on Starlin Castro?

34. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn.....-young-mvp

If the Tigers manage to hold on to win the American League Central for the first time in franchise history, Verlander should win the [MVP] award. If he doesn’t, it’s because he’s playing for Detroit.

A.) If Verlander deserves the MVP, and he doesn’t, he’ll deserve it whether the Tigers win or not. He doesn’t deserve it, though, he’s not Jose Bautista.
    B.) If the Tigers win the Central, we all know who the real MVP should be: A tie between Eminem and the Chrysler 300. Because of that awesome commercial, bro, it’s totally what propelled the Motor City Kitties to greatness.

In 1990, when Cecil Fielder became just the second player in 25 years to hit 50 dingers, he finished second in MVP balloting, with thinking being he didn’t win because he didn’t play for a team above .500.

One possible reason Fielder finished second in the MVP balloting in 1990: The Tigers weren’t good. (It’s a dumb reason, but it’s eminently possible; baseball awards voters are notoriously dumb.)

A better possible reason: Fielder put up a .277/.377/.592 (.969), .417 wOBA, 165 wRC+ in 673 PA with average defense at 1B and DH for the Tigers.

The actual winner, Rickey Henderson, put up a .325/.439/.577 (1.016), .467 wOBA, 204 wRC+ in 594 PA with good defense at LF for the Athletics.

Henderson wins on both bWAR (10.0 to 6.7) and fWAR (10.5 to 6.8).

Did Fielder get fewer votes than he should have because the Tigers didn’t win enough games? Probably. Was he robbed and the deserving winner? Fuck no.

The following year the Tigers finished 84-78, battled for the East division title until the final weeks and ended the year in second. But Fielder lost to Cal Ripken Jr., who led Baltimore to a sixth-place finish.

Fielder, 1991: .261/.347/.513 (.860), .375 wOBA, 132 wRC+, 3.4 bWAR, 4.3 fWAR, played the two easiest positions on the field
    Ripken, 1991: .323/.374/.566 (.940), .407 wOBA, 156 wRC+, 11.0 bWAR, 11.1 fWAR, played the hardest position on the field

With all due respect, your sister’s a whore.

I hope that kind of voting nonsense doesn’t happen to Verlander because he, and my city, deserve better.

Cecil Fielder finished second in the MVP balloting in 1990 and 1991 despite not being the second best player in the league either time. He was actually far worse than the second best player. Those second place finishes were a gift, not a curse.

And Jack Morris and his mustache will probably get into the Hall of Fame on the strength of that ’84 Tigers title (despite only being the third best pitcher on that team).

You already got one federal bailout, Detroit. Stop being greedy.

• Pat D says:

Yea, Morris will get in before Trammell or Whitaker, both of whom probably never get in.

I liked Morris, but Trammell and Whitaker are more deserving of HOF.

• Brian S. says:

Rickey Henderson had that season before Bsr was part of fWAR too huh?

• Avi says:

MVP should be for the most valuable player OVERALL. It’s an INDIVIDUAL award. We have awards for most valuable teams. They’re called the STANDINGS!

• nsalem says:

The 50 Home Run Club Birds Of A Feather

Greg Vaughn .345/.482/.827
      Cecil Fielder .337/.470/.907
      George Foster .338/.480/,818

gone, sort of forgotten but much better than Kingman. Back in the late 80;s there were only about a dozen or so members of the 500 HR club. I remember the fear in baseball was that KIngman would hang on a couple of years reach 500 and receive free pass to The Hall of Fame.

• Crime Dog says:

FJM style, I like

35. nsalem says:

Jimmy Rollins was the last switch hitter in the NL to win the MVP award. Anyone know the last switch hitter to win in the American League?

• Xstar7 says:

Vida Blue, a switch hitting pitcher for the Oakland A’s before the DH era, in 1971.

• nsalem says:

Correct. He was also sold to the Yankees at the trading deadline in 1977. Unfortunately the sale was voided by the commissioner. He had a great fastball and though he never had a year like his first full year in 1971 he was still an all star type pitcher for most of his career. He was a flamboyant character who would have probably been quite popular in New York.

• Pat D says:

Wow. Couldn’t believe that.

36. MikeD says:

Okay, that video is crazy. That has to be the only time in the history of pro baseball that a triple play started with the ball bouncing off the CFers head.

37. Chen Meng Wang says:

Don’t know where else to put this, but: watching plays of the week on MLBN while falling asleep, and I have no idea what they are doing with Greg Amsinger(?)’s wardrobe. I usually don’t care about stuff like this but he looks like a fucking slob. The sports jacket he has on looks about a size to small and has never seen the business end of an iron. The shirt clashes horribly with said jacket and the top two or three buttons are undone, and jeans FUCKING SKINNY JEANS(!!!). It’s almost like they went into a wardrobe closet, turned off all the lights and went with the first three articles of clothing they found. As I said I usually don’t care about when people wear but when you work at the same place as Mich Williams and he has a better idea on what looking like a professional means, you have a problem.