Aug

Wandy could be waived this week, Yanks may not get a chance at him

Via Danny Knobler, there’s a “growing belief” that the Astros will place Wandy Rodriguez on trade waivers this week, and that a National League team is willing to roll the dice and risk claiming him. Because of the waiver priority rules, the Yankees would not have a chance to trade for Rodriguez this month if an NL team claims him, whether that team deals for him or not.

Wandy is owed more than $23M over the next two seasons, plus his $13M club option for 2013 turns into a player option if traded. That takes him through his age 35 season, so it’s not exactly a bargain price. Yankees’ ownership pushed for Rodriguez before the deadline, and were willing to pay $21M of the $38M or so left on his contract at the time (assuming the option is picked up). That implies that they value him as a $7M a year pitcher. If a team claims him, the Astros could simply foist the lefty and his entire contract onto that team, much like the Blue Jays did with Alex Rios and the White Sox.

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. Foghorn Leghorn says:

no skin off my sac…we have 6 starters!

2. Raul says:

Seriously, who really cares anymore? We have 6 starters plus Phelps and Banuelos. You bloggers have hyped us up so much that the Yankees were going to acquire a starter for sure by the deadline. I was let down in a huge way, and these stories are becoming quite annoying.

• Mike Axisa says:

On behalf of all the bloggers in the world, I apologize.

• Foghorn Leghorn says:

if you feel that way, then why comment? i never get that. if you don’t like the article…don’t read it or stop reading it…but to then comment on it just seems like a collosal waste of time and energy.

• Nuke Ladoosh says:

Human Nature to judge. I found the info relative, informative and interesting.

• Prof Plum says:

How would I know I woulod hate the article unless I read it?

I actually only read it up until the point where my hating it exceeded my liking it, plus a bit more to allow for margin of error; at which point I stopped cold.

• Ted Nelson says:

I’m not of the belief that all comments have to be positive. If you disagree with what the author has written for whatever reason, this is also a forum to express that.

I don’t see why bloggers having speculated about a potential trade would leave Raul “let down in a huge way” when it didn’t happen… but that’s how he felt I guess.

• Steve in PDX says:

If you don’t like blogs, don’t read them.

#damnmorons

• Joey from jersey says:

Ironic that most people on this site found your comment annoying. I hear there is a blog named nomass that you may want to check out.

3. TMiller30 says:

Wandy for AJ! We can take on paying a greater portion of the total salaries, and AJ can go dominate the NL. Win/win.

• Sarah says:

Love this idea!

/wishful thinking

• MannyGeee says:

that is a whole shit ton of assumptions. you assume the Astros would take AJ, AJ would accept the trade (limited NTC), that AJ would dominate the NL, or that Wandy would be any better through 2013 than AJ…

4. JohnC says:

He’s no better than what we have now. Pass

• Cris Pengiuci says:

Disagree. While I don’t really care if the Yankees get him or not, I think he’d be a reasonable upgrade over AJ. However, the Yankees aren’t getting rid of AJ so it wouldn;t matter anyway. They’d have 7 starters to deal with then.

5. Kosmo says:

My guess Wandy ends up with the Nationals .

6. Foghorn Leghorn says:

if his name was Weezie then I’d be all for it…but Wandy???

7. Frank says:

I never really wanted him, but the Yankees valuing him as a 7MM player is crazy. Put him on the FA market and he easily gets what his contract guarantees once he’s trade (3/36). Not surprising that the Astros hung up on that one…poor negotiating if they really did want him.

8. Jim S says:

I enjoy the fact that in the past when the yankees would over-value players, everyone would point and laugh, and then cry about how unfair the economic situation was.

Now that they’re potentially undervaluing players, and using their assets more intelligently, for instance spending $$$ on the near-sure things, not overpaying for mediocrity, we’re hearing how stupid the Yankees are.

**This is not a referendum on the blog post, just the general reaction around the interwebs I’ve been seeing.

• Smallz says:

When the Yankees win, they bought thier team. When they lose, theyre the worst team on the planet with overpayed overrated players and inept management. Haters gunna hate. I say stick with the kids and see what you get.

9. MannyGeee says:

think fringe teams… Pirates, Indians, Twins, Angels, Marlins…

10. Smallz says:

With 6 starters (Granted, AJ sucks. Hughes is a ? Colon and Garcia are up there in innings and Nova is riding a hot streak) do we really need to claim Wandy? Hes not a #2 in this division, hes just not. I am pretty sure, may be going out on a serious limb here.. but Banuelos could come up and give just about the same production as Wandy at this point.

• Cris Pengiuci says:

That’s definitely going out on a limb. It might happen, but it’s a big assumption. Wandy’s a proven MLB player. Agree, probably not a #2 in the AL East (more likely a 3, possibly a very good 4), but Banuelos could be a complete bust. I certainly hope not, but we just can’t tell yet since he’s not in The Show.

• Smallz says:

Agreed. Wandy coming to this team though, doesnt put us in any better position than were in now. We would have to take 2 starters out of the lineup. A rotation of CC, Colon, Garcia and Nova for the playoffs doesnt sound like a disaster to me. Not to mention Hughes going to the pen for the post season with D-Rob Soriano Wade Logan and Mo. I think were in a great position with the offensive firepower we have to compete in the playoffs this year.

11. stuart a says:

no thank you. seen this movie before. pass. albatross contract aging mediocore pitcher.

NO THANKS

12. Crime Dog says:

If anyone claims Wandy, they have to just let him go right? That 38 Mil could be serve them better in the next few years.

13. Reggie C. says:

Would be pretty funny if the Chi Sox plucked Wandy off the waiver wire.

14. Frank says:

As a FA, with 30 teams bidding, he would get 3/36. Would you want to trade for that? No, you’d want to get him at 3/30 or something…3/21 is pushing a little and was a non-starter for the astros. As I said, if they really wanted him then that was a strange way to show it. I get being responsible with your prospects and dollars, but another team’s #1 starter, who would likely be your #3 starter, is not a 3/21 player in his age 32-35 years.

15. Rich in NJ says:

LOOGY? ;)

16. Mickey Scheister says:

If given the opportunity, get him. He’s a lefty, he’s not expsensive (Sori, the 7th inning guy gets paid the same for a fraction of the innings pitched), and he provides depth without rushing the kids. With Hughes and AJ up in the air, performance wise, it wouldnt be a bad idea to grab a reliable #3, if for nothing else other than next year. If he’s a waiver claim I’m pretty sure the option won’t vest if he’s just handed over.

• Cris Pengiuci says:

At the remaining full contract price, I’m not sure about this one. Although, it does provide some assurance for next season’s rotation. It’s a tough call.

• Rich in NJ says:

If a team claims him off of waivers, they assume the contract as is. The Yankees aren’t taking on that contract.

17. Frank says:

If the option doesn’t vest if he’s waived and let go then it becomes much more intriguing.

18. Cris Pengiuci says:

And per MLB Trade Rumors, there’s this:

“It’s believed that at least one NL team is interested enough to risk a claim, and there may be others interested as well.”

So it’s likely he won’t even be available to the Yankees.

19. BK2ATL says:

I’d want no part of Wandy or that contract. Please pass. Reason why?

Exhibit A: AJ Burnett