Aug

Yankees claim Aaron Laffey, DFA Gus Molina

Via Mark Feinsand, the Yankees have claimed lefty Aaron Laffey off waivers from the Mariners. Gustavo Molina has been designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster. Laffey will join the team in Minnesota tomorrow, which is kinda interesting.

I wrote about Laffey yesterday, suggesting the Yankees should claim him off waivers so he can be the second lefty out of the pen. He won’t be a shutdown southpaw, but he’s a better backup option than Raul Valdes or Steve Garrison. As an added bonus, Laffey is under team control through 2014 and has a minor league option remaining for next year. Solid move, improving on the margins.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Chip says:

Wait, so Laffey is going to be put in the bullpen in place of…………Noesi? Do they send down Ayala? Do they DL Garcia? Who gets sent down for A-Rod on Tuesday? I’m confused by this move

• JT says:

Probably a move for the future. I’m pretty sure this guy is going to AAA to prove himself first.

• Chip says:

Mike’s comment is that he will join the team in Minnesota which to me makes him a part of the big league club. Maybe I’m missing something here

• Jesse says:

He’s going to join the team in Minnesota, so obviously he’ll be on the 25 man at some point. The question is, what move will they make? I say they’ll send down Noesi when A-Rod returns, then probably DL Garcia or send down Ayala. We’ll see.

2. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Thanks for the memories, Gus.

3. bottom line says:

Dumpster-diving Cashman strikes again. One thing to sign Colon and Garcia, hoping for return to glory. Another to sign guys who were never good. Way more hits per IP, absymal K/BB ratios and he doesn’t even get out lefties? Does however fill huge hole left by release of Buddy Carlyle.

4. E-ROC says:

Wasn’t Laffey a starter at one point in his career? I like Tom Gorzelanny more, but this works.

5. Bronx Byte says:

A few moves can be expected by 9/1.
    Noesi should be secure for 2012 so he shouldn’t worry plus he’ll be called up for Sept.
    Depending on what Laffey shows, Luis Ayala might not make the playoff roster. Wish it were Burnett.

6. PhillyMatt says:

Not that the Yankees were banking on one of these two returning but I guess this would signal that Feliciano and Marte are not making it back this year.

7. Yankees should pick up Brian Fuentes. Look at his splits compared to Laffey’s, he is the lefty you guys want! Take him from us! You will use him as a LOOGY like he should be used.

• Pat D says:

I admire your enthusiasm for dumping a mediocre player, but it’s likely Fuentes was claimed by someone, as hard to believe as that might be. Boston is behind the Yankees right now, and so they might pull that trigger.

There’s also the little aspect of the Yankees know first-hand how much Fuentes sucks. 2009 ALCS, Game 2.

• I actually don’t mind Fuentes. We just don’t use him right. The problem is we use him as a middle-reliever (thankfully we’ve quit believing he is a closer) when as a LOOGY he is great. Word has it he hasn’t been put on waivers yet, and you’re right he might not slip through to New York but I think any team that doesn’t have the express need for him will be scared Oakland will just pull the plug and say “have him for free”. So unless they really wanted him, I think they don’t put out a claim.

8. I’m surprised Molina was DFA’d and not Valdez (or that Maxwell wasn’t moved to the 60-day DL).

I normally caution against extrapolating and reading the tea leaves, but this probably means that when Hey-Zeus is added, he’ll be given a handful of September starts behind the dish and not merely be a DH/PH. Molina was queued up to be the third catcher, a September staple… perhaps now that’s Montero’s role.

9. Matt DiBari says:

I was totally fine having competent right handed pitchers in the bullpen, but I guess when a mediocre lefty becomes available, you just can’t pass it up!

I know I enjoy the frantic overmanaging

10. Dave says:

This means Montero will definitely come up in Sept as the 3rd catcher.

11. mike says:

Question i have is how did he pass thru waivers – the Sox are looking for a lefty as well ( rumor has it)