Aug

Yankees claim first place in AL East with win over Red Sox

Stop the presses! The Yankees have actually beaten the Red Sox. It most certainly was not easy, but some timely hits and dominant bullpen work preserved the 3-2 victory.

• WPA won’t back this up, but hands down the biggest at-bat of the game was Boone Logan striking out Adrian Gonzalez with the bases loaded to end the fifth inning. Bartolo Colon had to work very hard for four-plus innings, especially in that prolonged fifth, but Logan came out of the pen to strikeout one of the three or four best hitters in the world on three pitches. Just a great job by Boone, star of the game right there.
  • The Yankees were down two-zip at the time of Logan’s strikeout, but they turned around and scored the only three runs they’d need in the very next half-inning. Eduardo Nunez gets a gold star for leading off that sixth inning with a walk after Jon Lester got ahead of him 0-2 in the count. Derek Jeter singled back up the middle, then Curtis Granderson got the Yankees on board with an RBI single to the opposite field in a two-strike count. Great piece of hitting. Mark Teixeira walked to load the bases, then Robinson Cano tied the game by grounding into a double play after a nine-pitch at-bat. Less than ideal, but it worked. Nick Swisher plated the go-ahead run on a ground rule double down the line. Down two to up one just like that.
  • Logan’s whiff of Gonzalez was clearly the biggest out, but the entire bullpen was stupid good. Boone got two more outs in the sixth then gave way to Cory Wade, who changeup’d Jarrod Saltalamacchia to death for the final out. Rafael Soriano threw some serious gas in a perfect seventh inning (the best he’s looked as a Yankee), David Robertson got some at ‘em balls in a perfect eighth, then Mariano Rivera struck out two in the ninth after a Carl Crawford infield single. All told, the relief corps retired 13 of the 15 men they faced, and the only two exceptions were Crawford and his sub-.300 OBP.
  • It wouldn’t be a Yankees’ game without some blown opportunities, of course. Jorge Posada looked at strike three to end the second with men on first and second, Andruw Jones wandered to far off first on what was ultimately a double play to end the fifth (he completely misread the fly ball, he had to think that sucker was dropping in), and both Jeter and Nunez got thrown out trying to steal at various points. Swish was the only Yankee with multiple hits (he also walked), though Nunez singled and walked twice. Andruw walked twice, Tex once. The few hits they did get were well-timed, that’s for sure.
  • The Yankees have won a season-high eight games a row, taking sole possession of first place in the AL East for the first time in exactly a month. Here’s the box score, here’s the FanGraphs stuff, and here’s the updated standings.

Because eight wins in a row aren’t enough, the Yankees will send CC Sabathia to the mound in the second game of this three-game series on Saturday afternoon. That’s a FOX game, so it won’t start until 4pm ET. John Lackey’s pet horse goes for Boston. If you want to catch the game, RAB Tickets can help you find the cheapest way to get there.

Categories : Game Stories

1. dkidd says:

just read through the game thread, good stuff

great baseball game

2. BronxBomber98 says:

How fast was Soriano throwing? I didn’t get to watch that inning.

3. Steve H says:

In Boone and Girardi I trust.

• David N says:

I had zero confidence when Girardi brought him in with Gonzalez up. I was wrong, and I’m very happy to have been wrong.

4. teddy says:

missed cano at bat, did ump robbed of a base loaded bb

5. Zapp Brannigan says:

real happy for nunie; he was a real catalyst. great nerv-racking win. yay.

6. Xstar7 says:

The Yankees are in first place? WOOHOO!

(moons the Red Sox through rear-view window)

7. JobaWockeeZ says:

CC vs Lackey? LOL. Now that I said this they’re going to lose.

8. pat says:

Lets make tomorrow a laugher so the bullpen can be ready for steady Freddy.

9. PaulF says:

And yet MLB network just said “Who’s the best team in baseball, Phillies or Red Sox?” wtf

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I’d be willing to bet Harold Reynolds said that.

• Alfredo says:

If you ever watch MLB Network you would know Harold is a Yankee Ass Kisser and he does not hate on them. and the one that said it was Greg.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

You’re right, but he also says lots of really stupid things at times. Also this sounds more like Red Sox ass kissing than Yankee hating.

• PaulF says:

Close, it was a question to Reynolds and he said Phillies. Dan Plesac did mention that the Yankees were in first and that they were a good team. Then the host said that he wasn’t buying the Yankees because “Colon is their #2 and he didn’t get through 5 innings.” sigh

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I may be wrong, but isn’t this just the 2nd time he hasn’t completed 5?

• forensic says:

I can usually get through watching that show and dealing with their usually pretty bad analysis. But, when Dan Plesac is on, I just have to change it. Loud, annoying, and terrible is a bad combination.

• Kiersten says:

And the Red Sox number 2 was sooooooo much better going six innings and losing.

• Pat D says:

He’s their number one, actually. Can’t blame him for his team only scoring two runs.

• mbonzo says:

…against our “number 2″.

I wish Colon could have gone longer, but our pitching staff out pitched theres on what should have been their best night.

Tomorrow definitely favors the Yankees with CC, who should dominate this lefty lineup, against Lackey. I can’t wait for Sunday, I think the Yankees are going to fix Becket’s ERA-FIP differential. I hope Garcia can hold it together for that, we may be looking at a sweep.

• mbonzo says:

They haven’t realized that the Red Sox pitching rotation is decimated. Theres no depth in that system either, I said this from day one, Red Sox were the better team going into the year, but the Yankees were the better organization. When you play 162 games, this is a test of your organization, as well as the 25 man roster.

10. Kevin G. says:

LoCoSoRoMo FTW!

• Yanks27rings says:

Remember back in the start of the season when it was JoSoMo? Who’da thought it’d turn into something so grand.

/Michael Kay’d

11. BigBlueAL says:

Apparently Soriano said after the game tonight reminded him of the way he pitched when he was in Tampa. Boy wouldnt that be nice to have for the rest of the season.

12. Dino Velvet says:

Momentum!

13. Skip says:

I watch a lot of games on NESN. There’s a guy who sits right behind home plate to the right who is always there. And he’s always wearing radio headphones. Just wanted to point that out.

14. Pat D says:

I was trying to figure out how many games it’s going to take to win the divison.

Right now they’re 69-42. They could go 31-20 the rest of the way, to win 100 games, and that would actually be a lesser winning percentage than right now, and yet I wonder if that’s going to be enough.

Maybe I’m being paranoid but it just seems to me that these teams figure to run neck and neck the rest of the way.

I guess what I’m trying to say is how ridiculous a 2nd wild card would be when one of these teams could win 95-99 games and then be force to play a one game playoff against a team that would win around 90 while playing an easier schedule. Who knows?

• Jerome S. says:

The division race will go down to the wire. Imagine if there was no wild card? Yikes.

But luckily there is; consequently, this is a highly enjoyable contest, not a do-or die cage match. There is no “distancing” between the Yankees and Red Sox, and their won’t be. The people clamoring for us to “bury” the Red Sox while we had the chance back in April were insane. Even now, if we sweep, Boston is a good week (of which they’ve had many) away from being in first again. We probably won’t know the division winner until the last weekend.

• Joel says:

It a scary thought to think that a team could win 100 plus games and not win the division. Just proves how tough the ALE is.

Agreed about the stupidity of a 2nd wild card team. Looks great on paper, but sucks in reality.

• Pat D says:

Yea, but look at that second paragraph.

Really shows you how biased ESPN is.

• Jericho Spade says:

He was the one who wrote the Yankees were better off with Cody Ransom then Arod, when he was out with the hip injury. It is amazing how many people hate this guy, for all his money, for being a little dumb sometimes and a little awkward sometimes.

The first paragraph negated pretty much everything, yet then he said Arod COULD have been at a similar game and the repeated the original story. Absolutely insane. How about a retraction and apology for the borderline libel.

15. Definitely happy about the win. Real good victory, and great to see those Boston fans leaving the park with sorry scowls on their faces.

Still gotta be concerned with the Yankees’ pitching after C.C. though. There’s still no bona fide number-2. Getting 4.2 IP out of a starter in the playoffs isn’t going to be a good recipe for winning number 28. Colon is starting to show signs of wear and tear, and this was his first August start since 2005. Who’s the number-2? Who’s the number-3? I hate to dampen the great feelings surrounding this win, but the starting pitching is a huge concern that will continue to make me anxious for the remainder of 2011.

• Xstar7 says:

Wear and tear? Were you not watching when he was regularly hitting 95 and 96 on the gun?

• Kiersten says:

I don’t know, our Number 2 going just 4.2 IP seemed to work just fine against our likely ALCS opponent.

With all the off days, relievers can pitch in almost every game.

• Brian S. says:

Texas is going to make the ALCS. Wilson-Ogando-Holland and that lineup is not going to lose in the first round, especially if the first two games are in Texas.

• 4.2 IP worked tonight. As I said, I don’t really think that’s something that the Yanks, or any team for that matter, would get away with in the playoffs consistently.

And yes, Colon has shown signs of wear and tear. He hasn’t been nearly the same pitcher since he came off the DL. A good start here and there, sure, but he’s not getting as deep as consistently. It’s not easy to pitch deep into games this late in the season when you haven’t done it in 6 years. I can’t imagine he’s going to get better as the season goes along. But believe me, I really hope I’m wrong.

• Kiko Jones says:

Cano cost Bartolo the win by doing too much and trying to field a ball Jeter could’ve easily handled and made the 3rd out in the 5th inning. Luckily Logan struck out Gonzo, otherwise…

• TCMiller30 says:

There’s no way anyone was making an out on that play.. The only reason Bart didn’t stay in is because the Yankees have a phenomenal bull pen, so why not use it in those situations?

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I can assure you that most times that’s not a very good idea.

• CMP says:

Agree that Colon will have to do better in the playoffs and there is definitely concern behind CC but I just think Colon didn’t have good command rather than him showing wear and tear.

I would say though that If CC/Beckett is and even match up, the Sux have the advantage in Lester/Colon.

16. Craig says:

I live in Philly so I don’t get the game tomorrow. Fuck FOX

17. Nuke Ladoosh says:

Woo hoo!

18. Mojo says:

I love how ESPN doesn’t put this on the front page but instead plants an article from Bill Simmons (a quintessential Boston homer). A 3-2 game pitched by Jon Lester that handed the AL East lead (and the best AL record) to the Yankees is somehow supplanted by Pippa Middleton . . . Yeah . . . Way to show your true colors ONCE again ESPN. Ew.

• Pat D says:

It was his first mailbag article in quite some time, so of course they had to make a big deal about it.

He makes an ARod reference and then tries to reverse jinx CC/Nova for the next five years.

• boogie down says:

I’m not going to pretend that I’m not a big Simmons fan, but his reverse jinx theory is entirely wrong. You can’t intentionally jinx something; that is to say, setting a jinx, regular or reverse, cannot be a stated and accomplished goal. A jinx is borne out of a pure thought/feeling which leads to some exaggerated exclamation, (e.g., from Simmons’ perspective, “The Sox are so good, there’s no way they don’t win the Series this year.”) which in turn causes the opposite to happen.

Of course, you have to believe in jinxes for any of the aforementioned to hold weight…

• Couldn’t agree more about ESPN’s love for Boston. If you watched the Yankees-White Sox Game on Wednesday night, you probably heard the discussion the ESPN announcers had about the AL MVP a la Granderson’s performance. They brought up Adrian Gonzalez (and rightfully so). But then they said something along the lines of “you have to throw in Ellsbury and Pedroia into the MVP discussion.” I nearly fell off my couch. Ellsbury is having a breakout year, but an mvp he is not. And Pedroia? The guy was hitting .245 about a month and a half ago. He has been hot of late, but the Red Sox found their stride well before Pedroia started playing well.

But ESPN never lets an opportunity go by where they can promote anything having to do with the Red Sox. And I still hold ESPN responsible for one of the most embarrassing things in sports history, at least during my lifetime – Pedroia’s ’08 MVP. ESPN basically led the campaign for him. If I hear one more time about how he doesn’t shave, or he always dives, or he hustles, or he’s so intense and so gritty, or that he’s so small but takes a hack like a man twice his size, I am just going to lose it.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Hey, that’s over the line. All of Scottland Yard couldn’t keep me off of Pippa Middleton.

19. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Home teams were 4-11 tonight. Just a little fact.

20. Jim S says:

Boone Logan is a travesty and never does anything good.

/that guy who hates Boone Logan irrationally’d

• Jerome S. says:

That’s me! I’m a pretty rational guy, but I just can’t make myself believe in Boone Logan. Even is he really hasn’t been that bad.

• Jim S says:

Heh, at least you admit it though. And there are prob plenty more opportunities waiting for you to turn this back around on the rest of us.

21. J. Scott says:

With Weaver pitching tonight against Seattle I’m assuming that means he’s appealing his 6 game suspension; his appeal will be heard when the Angels get to NY; he’ll lose his appeal (maybe get a game or 2 knocked-off); and the Yankees will miss him.

Or, maybe I’m assuming too much.

22. mbonzo says:

Dear Boone Logan,

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Love,
    Me

23. Winston Smith says:

If Logan can get out lefties like Gonzalez and Soriano can pitch like he did last night, we have the best bullpen in baseball. Bartolo was getting squeezed by that home plate ump’s tighter than tight strike zone and got unlucky on that Pedroia infield hit. Otherwise he makes it through 5 and possibly goes into the 6th. Great win, set up well for the series win today with the pitching matchup.

24. Nuke Ladoosh says:

I can’t wait to see Fox show the AL East standings up on the Green Monstah during today’s game. Priceless.

25. I Voted 4 Kodos says:

Mo’s strikeouts of Salty and Reddick were things of beauty. The last pitch in each at bat was almost completely unfair.

26. Dustin from Boston says:

Top 3 reasons I love Josh Reddick:

1. When he runs, his legs look like a blurry windmill.
    2. He always has a pocketful of Scooby Snacks. I love em because they’re gritty tasting.
    3. I love the way he says “ZOINKS” everytime Papplebon blows the lead!

27. David, Jr. says:

I’m going up to 9.5. Don’t see any reason to fear the Sux, particularly with ARod returning.

28. Bob Michaels says: