Sep

AL East Champs: Yanks top Rays to win division

Wednesday was a busy day in Yankeeland, eh? Everything broke the right way for the Yankees, allowing them to first clinch a playoff spot before clinching the division title. Best day of the season? Oh yeah, totally the best day of the season.

(Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Hip Hip!

It has been a long and difficult season for Jorge Posada. The Yankee stalwart started the year as the regular DH, then got demoted in the lineup, then became a platoon DH, and by the end the of the season he had lost the job entirely. With the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning, Jorge delivered his biggest hit of the season and was all smiles.

The inning started ominously enough, with Eduardo Nunez striking out against Jake McGee after Jeremy Hellickson held the Yankees to just two runs and two hits through seven innings. Nick Swisher pinch-hit for Chris Dickerson, and started the game-winning rally with a double into left-center. Greg Golson flew out of the dugout to pinch-run, but the chances of scoring went down when Curtis Granderson flew out to right. Joe Maddon started  mixing and matching, bringing in Juan Cruz only to watch him walk Mark Teixeira on four pitches. None were particularly close, either.

Maddon went to the bullpen again, this time to bring the lefty Cesar Ramos to face Robinson Cano, who already beat him in the first game of the doubleheader. Ramos fell behind in the count 3-1, and the fourth ball to load the bases was intentional. With the righty swinging Jesus Montero due up, Maddon again went to the bullpen, this time for the right-hander Brandon Gomes. Joe Girardi countered with Posada, who took a  first pitch splitter for strike one before jumping all over a fastball. The line drive dropped into right, a legit base hit, scoring Golson and Teixeira to turn a 2-2 tie into a 4-2 lead. At .289 WPA, Jorge’s hit was easily the biggest play of the game. Sentimentally, it was arguably the biggest of the season.

(Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Honestly, Who Really Cares About 20 Wins?

In what is likely his last normal start of the season, CC Sabathia gave the Yankees 127 pitches (second most of the season), but they couldn’t give him a win. He allowed just two solo homers (to Kelly Shoppach and Sean Rodriguez) over 7.2 IP, but Girardi really pushed it in an effort to get his ace that milestone. I don’t like it because getting Sabathia ready for the ALDS is far more important than an individual achievement, and CC would be the first to tell you that. What’s done is done though.

Sabathia allowed seven hits and two walks in those 7.2 IP, and David Robertson bailed him out of a bases loaded jam with a one-pitch  double play ball. CC didn’t get his 20th win, but who really cares? It’s a nice round number, that’s it. Remember, we’re trying to win a ring around here.

(Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Leftovers

The first two Yankees runs came on a solo homer (Cano) and a double play (Montero). Cano had been intentionally walked to loaded the bases with no outs to get to Montero, and I guess it worked since only the one run scored. The Yankees only had four hits, a Granderson double in addition to the previously mentioned Cano/Posada/Swisher knocks. The six walks really helped.

With Mariano Rivera unavailable after pitching in the first game of the doubleheader, closer duties fell on the shoulders of former Ray Rafael Soriano. Robertson had warmed up in the first game and twice in the second game, so I guess that’s why he couldn’t continue after throwing that one pitch in the eighth. Soriano did allow a hit, but he struck out Matt Joyce to end the game and the AL East race.

Like I said earlier, the Yankees have clinched the AL East thanks to their two wins and the Red Sox’s loss to the Orioles. Big ups to Buck Showalter and crew, they showed up for that series. Many thanks. The only thing left on the regular season checklist is homefield advantage, and magic number for that is just three. Still some work to be done, but expect to see a hangover Triple-A lineup tomorrow.

Box Score, WPA Graph & Standings

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs the nerdy score, and ESPN the updated standings.

Up Next

One more game with the Rays, and it’ll be played Thursday night. Bartolo Colon gets the ball against Matt Moore. Jeff Niemann has been scratched due to some soreness/stiffness. If you want to catch the fourth to last regular season home of the regular season, RAB Tickets can help get you there.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Asha Greyjoy says:

So I’ll be rooting for Matt Moore tomorrow

2. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I can’t wait to see Brackman and Betances tomorrow.

3. mbonzo says:

Tomorrow is gonna be an interesting game. I’d love to see Matt Moore’s start and who knows what the Yankees have planned.

4. Stratman9652 says:

Think you have the wrong graph there Mike. That looks like Game 1.

5. mbonzo says:

It’s a long shot, but the Yankees are 3 games behind the Phillies for best record in the MLB, not that it means much.

6. Sayid J. says:

Posada swung at the first splitter of his at bat? I’m pretty sure he took the first pitch. Just sloppy.

7. keithr says:

wrong WPA graph! still pretty though

8. Sayid J. says:

“What done is done though.”

Should be fixed

• Sayid J. says:

“I wish I could punch everyone that complains about the littlest fucking typos on the internet.”

Very classy Mike. I’ve been reading this site for years now, and you know better than anyone that I email you pretty much every time I see a typo, never to criticism, never with commentary, but just to get it fixed. You guys have great content, but sometimes, especially right now, I feel like you don’t deserve your readers.

So go ahead, punch me.

• Jesse says:

Same here, go ahead and punch me. I make typos on my blog and I get pissed at myself for making them as well. But either way love this blog.

• Sayid J. says:

Just frustrating to come to this site multiple times a day, comment occasionally, and try to fix problems (however small they might be) when they arise, and then see Axisa tweet to the world that they want to punch you.

• Jesse says:

I feel you. I know you’re trying to help. I’d hate to get that kind of reaction.

But, I’ve commented on a couple of typos on here, so I must be part of his “punch in the face” list.

• Tom Zig says:

Your refund check is in the mail.

• Oscar Gamble's Fro says:

Get over yourself. Bitching about Mike’s twitter post and saying that you sometimes feel that Mike (and the site) do not deserve their readers is an stupefyingly high level of douchebaggery. Really, it is.

Really, it’s not.

So what? I commented on a typo. We’re all on the same side here. We all want RAB to be as great of a site as it can possibly be, to continue to stimulate interesting discussion. Sure, remind me that typo corrections should come through the email rather than comments, but I don’t deserve to be attacked on Twitter.

• the Other Steve S. says:

Perhaps because these guys create a tremendous amount of material and sometimes work from mobile devices they fat-finger occasionally. I’m not a big fan of some stuff on here too, just ignore and enjoy.

• Sayid J. says:

Look at that, made a typo myself. Should’ve been “never to criticize”

• cnight_ithaca says:

Are you one of those uber cool peeps complaining about facebook changing its formatting too?

• mbonzo says:

I think you accidentally a comma, or accidentally a word order.

Just kidding! Keep up the good work Mike, I appreciate the entertainment and understand how hard you work. You must put 12 hours a day of work into this blog, and a single typo doesn’t change the strength of that content.

• Sayid J. says:

The content is obviously strong. That’s why I am here; that’s why we’re all here.

I just don’t think it’s right for Mike to be complaining about people who are just trying to help fix mistakes.

Not like I’m going to stop coming back here, I just don’t like being treated like shit when I make a suggestion, especially when Mike knows I’ve emailed him several times before about typos. Never to attack, just to get it fixed.

• Ok, I personally think that Mike over reacted in a fashion that is now apparently, according to the context of this whole mess, kinda offensive and unprofessional (although it’s not like this is his profession, but IMO he’s a better writer than 99% of guys in the media). However, you kinda overreacted by saying this site doesn’t deserve it’s readers, even though it clearly does (I just wish trolls didn’t read it). You guys both sorta messed up and I think you guys should apologize, but however this is settled is between you two, obviously. I just know I’d be kinda hurt if I was in your situation and I don’t get why you’re being hated on. You were lazy ONCE and were just trying to help. But what do I know…

• forensic says:

Looks like this got out of hand pretty quick, and this is why so much more bad comes from Twitter than good.

But, I’ll say typos are one thing. Those spelling mistakes, missing a comma, etc…, are things everyone does in daily life and it happens. No biggie. I wouldn’t have complained about that sort of thing, but so be it.

On the other hand, if someone is coming here for a recap of the game if they hadn’t watched it and gets factual mistakes, then I don’t see a huge problem with putting it in the comments. For example, CC pitched 7.1 innings, not 7.2 (twice mentioned). Swisher hit for Gardner, not Dickerson. The graph was apparently wrong at first.

This site is generally great, I don’t think anyone disagrees with that. But, a two minute proofreading session with the post causing a two minute delay in posting it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

• pat says:

Why don’t you just email it? Or do you need everyone to know how cool you are?

• Sayid J. says:

I normally do email it, as any of the RAB writers can confirm, but this one time I decided not to. Call me lazy, but as I was going to sleep I decided to take the 60 second shortcut of not reopening my mail account and just commenting on the site because I was already here. I have no interest in appearing ‘cool’ to a bunch of internet commenters, so I don’t appreciate your mocking tone.

It’s not like I’m some asshole troll who comes here to annoy everyone and point out little typos. I’ve been commenting on this site since nearly the beginning, I participate in Mike’s RAB fantasy baseball league, and I’ve taken the time to email the RABbis stories, comments, and typos numerous times over the years. I certainly don’t need your snark.

• It’s just really annoying. I’m not even one of the authors and I fucking loathe the typo comments, so I can imagine how annoying it is to those guys.

Also, while clearly some people don’t care for the commenting guidelines, it’s clearly spelled out in the guidelines that the authors would prefer to be emailed, if you must, about typos, than to have people posting comments about typos.

So, to sum up… Just don’t do it. Try this from now on – Realize that if you see a typo, so does everyone else. You’re not some heat-seeking typo finding machine that’s uncovering some hidden gem that nobody else can find. Someone else will let the author know, you don’t even have to email them about it (but if you absolutely cannot control yourself, go the email route). You never have to post a comment about a typo. It serves no purpose other than to be incredibly fucking lame and annoying.

• Richard Dawkins says:

This and all the other comments attacking Sayid are just ridiculous. Get a grip, folks, Axisa isn’t a god. I come to this site as much as anyone else, but hell if I give someone whose job it is to get things right complains when someone corrects his typo.

No one is saying the typo is such a big deal as to punish Axisa for it, but it’s something to be corrected, and anyone bitching that that’s bitching is just so full of bull etiquette that doesn’t really exist.

Keep it up, Sayid. Correct wherever you want. If others don’t like it, their eyes can skip over the damn things.

• Um… Sayid? This comment is right up your alley, if you know what I mean.

Just for fun…

Anyone bitching about the bitching about the bitching is just so full of bull etiquette that doesn’t really exist.

Keep it up, Sayid-haters. Criticize Sayid wherever you want. If others don’t like it, their eyes can skip over the damn things.

• Sayid J. says:

People can hate on me all they want. That’s what the internet is for: commenting, debating, discussing. The one thing I DO take issue with is that throughout this whole thing, I’ve been pretty reasonable, whereas other people have resorted to snark and mocking to prove their point.

I’ve always appreciated that you take the time to actually address the issues rather than comment like a jerk, so thanks again Congressman.

Thank you, Rich.

I’m not mad at Axisa for the typo, obviously. I’m not some lunatic obsessing over internet grammar, But the typo was there, I offered the correction. That’s all it was.

• Dude… I’m not going to keep going with this convo, but there seems to be a disconnect between understanding that you can go ahead and email the authors about typos, while understanding there’s a difference between emailing them about typos and posting comments about typos.

Put the shit about whether a typo should be corrected, or about your motivations, or any of this other extraneous stuff, aside. They’re just asking you not to post comments about typos. Go ahead and email, them, just don’t post comments. Not sure what’s so hard about this, it’s not a complicated concept.

• Sayid J. says:

I never said anything was hard about this. I completely understand. I’ve said several times throughout this conversation that I will return to emailing, as this was a one time lapse.

There’s really no disconnect, I just wish that more people on this site were able to express their feelings like you in a calm manner rather than resorting to snark.

• Midland TX says:

None of what you’ve typed changes the fact that passive-aggressively tweeting an implied violent threat about a generally good citizen is a total bitch/punk move.

• Ted Nelson says:

Stop being a dick Mondesi. Sayid has made it very clear he was only trying to be helpful. You are being a ridiculous asshole on an anonymous blog. Stop.

• Hey Ted… When you come into a conversation 7 or 8 hours late, maybe read the whole thing before responding to individual comments. I’m pretty sure you’re way more upset with me than Sayid is.

Then again, I do kind of enjoy being the target of the patented Ted Nelson join the convo a day late attack. It’s like your patented finishing move, it’s your thing. Work it.

It is fun being called a ridiculous asshole by Ted Nelson, of all people, though. Senor Restraint, who never ever condescends or is unnecessarily rude to other commenters, has his panties in an uproar over commenting etiquette! Oh my.

• Ted Nelson says:

This is exactly what I’m talking about. Your comments are unnecessarily rude, but why I take exception to them is they are entirely unproductive. While I may post unnecessarily rude comments, they are almost always related to the issue at hand. You are just swinging wildly at individual commenters’ personalities with no relevance to the Yankees or baseball at all. And contradicting your own points with your actions in the meantime.

• Ted Nelson says:

And it’s not just Sayid and me. You attacked Jesse’s blog because Jesse felt you crossed the line by being so rude to Sayid… Totally unnecessary to tell someone their blog sucks with no explanation at all just because they took exception to your ridiculously inappropriate comments.

• Hey Ted, you suck just as much as Jesse’s blog. Do everyone a favor and wait like a week and then come back to this thread in true Ted Nelson fashion and post some more unnecessarily long and incredibly tedious comments that nobody gives a fuck about. Really get into it, give the world your unique take on the mundane minutiae of some ancillary and preferably semantic topic. That’s what everyone’s been waiting for! All I hear all day is “man I wish that Ted Nelson would come back to a dead thread, days later, and post a long-winded comment about something nobody in their right mind could possibly give a shit about.” Give the people what they want!

• Ted Nelson says:

Why do you feel the need to make personal attacks on an anonymous blog?

• Ted Nelson says:

You were being a huge dick to Sayid last night, and now you have responded to everyone who has pointed that out my being a huge dick to them too. It’s pathetic.

• YOU’RE PATHETIC. Go fuck yourself, Nelson.

• Ted Nelson says:

You are so cool! You are really showing me who is boss on this anonymous blog forum!

• Just doing the Lord’s work, friend.

• Ted Nelson says:

You must feel really good about yourself that you can be mean to people on the internet! You’re a real winner!

• Sayid J. says:

I have emailed Mike plenty of times about typos. Never because I thought I was the only person who saw it, but generally because I always wait for the game recap at midnight and knew that I was one of the first people who read it. As a result, I thought the writers might like knowing about typos as soon as possible, as it reflects poorly on their writing and could be a turn off for some readers. The content is stellar otherwise, we all know that.

I can acknowledge that commenting on the article was a mistake. As I mentioned above, I’ve never done it before and purely did it this time out of convenience. I just don’t appreciate being painted as some crazy internet grammar nazi. My decision to comment or email about typos is not impulsive, but instead deliberate. And the reality is, it hurt my internet feelings to log onto Twitter and see Mike complaining about me when I was just trying to help.

Oh boo hoo, Poor me. I know, I get it. But the point is that it’s not good to reject people to the point of physical violence (even in a moment of frustration, which I can understand) who are trying to help you, or are trying to help something that you’re a part of be better than it is.

• Jesse says:

He commented about a typo once. Once. Get off his back.

• Ted Nelson says:

So in response to your anger over what you consider the “typo police” you have taken it upon yourself to be the “comment police?” The irony… Most of what you say with regard to Sayid’s typo comment applies to your comments comment.

• pat says:

If you don’t want to be mocked then don’t point out typos. And don’t act like a condescending bitch about it either..so sloppy.

• Montero's Mojo says:

Stop. Don’t be a dick. There’s no reason for it.

• Sayid J. says:

Yea, seriously. Condescending bitch? What did I do to you?

Pointing out typos doesn’t give you the license to mock somebody.

Jesus, get a grip man.

• Oscar Gamble's Fro says:

No, it doesn’t, but you didn’t just point out a typo, did you?

In the land of not make believe, you pointed out a typo, brought Mike’s twitter post over here and said the site doesn’t deserve its readers.

And now you’re playing the woe-is-me victim card? Weak sauce. Extremely weak sauce.

• Sayid J. says:

Yes. I pointed out a typo, a very innocent gesture. Obviously not the right forum to do so, but an innocent gesture nonetheless.

I brought Mike’s twitter post here because I was hoping it was going to elicit a response from him. Not in a “let’s get confrontational” way, but I was hoping he would apologize for attacking me on Twitter. I didn’t think it was right for him to say what he said. As annoying as my typo comment might have been to some people, my intentions were in the right place and I didn’t believe I deserved the commentary I had received. Perhaps I should’ve emailed him to tell him that I was unhappy with the Tweet, but I guess you can say that’s another mistake I made tonight.

Don’t really think I’m weak sauce though.

• Oscar Gamble's Fro says:

You were hoping for an apology for something he didn’t even post on here and your method for trying to obtain one wasn’t a simple e-mail to Mike saying you felt “attacked” (which is laughable) and requesting an apology, but rather putting his post up on here and saying that the site doesn’t deserve its readers? Wow. Just wow. You can not make this shit up.

• It’s 2 AM. Overreactions all around.

• Sayid J. says:

I said sometimes the site doesn’t deserve it’s readers. Those sometimes are the times when the writers treat the readers like shit by making fun of them on Twitter or in other ways. Obviously the content is fantastic and that’s why it’s one of the best Yankee blogs out there, but that shouldn’t give them or anyone free reign to attack people. So yes, I stand by that. When the writers make fun of the readers and commenters on Twitter it makes me feel like they don’t deserve the readers.

• JAG says:

To be fair, I wouldn’t have seen the tweet unless you had posted it (I don’t use twitter), but I doubt that Axisa was actually looking at who posted the comment (and thus it was not at you personally). I imagine the reason that part of the comment guidelines exists is because otherwise, the comment pages would be filled with “typo” comments, and most would likely not be made with the constructive sentiment that yours was. When constant bombardment of that nature piles up, it’s hard to tell when the “last straw” might set someone off. I don’t think that Axisa was necessarily wrong to vent a little, particularly because you’re likely one of the few people who were trying to make constructive criticism when you point out a typo in the comments sections.

So, in summary, you both overreacted somewhat and had reasonable reasons for the overreaction, and we should all just forget about it and move on.

• Oscar Gamble's Fro says:

• This is officially the worst comment thread in RAB history.

• Jesse says:

I’m gonna print these pages out and get a FAIL stamp like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?i.....38;dur=518

And then put them each in a frame in my room and wake up to it every day I have to get up early and just start my day off with a nice laugh.

• swishers fauxhawk says:

It’s funny because their pitching was a huge question mark coming into the season, and was their undoing again.

• Jesse says:

You gotta admit, the funniest thing on those predictions is Steve Berthiaume picking the Astros to win the NL Central.

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOO

• Stratman9652 says:

Pretty much all of his predictions looked like names drawn from a hat.

How about the guys who were so determined to say the Yankees would miss the postseason that they picked the Jays to win the WC?

• Stratman9652 says:

And even funnier is the amount of A’s to win the AL West picks. David Kull actually picked the Rockies to win the world series! Experts my ass.

• Jesse says:

To be honest, I made some pretty shitty picks myself. Well really, just one. I picked the Dodgers to win the West this year. I also picked the Angels to win the west, but that’s not a terrible pick. But I had the Yanks in the east, Detroit in the central, Boston as a WC (They could choke that), Philly in the east, Milwaukee in the central, and Atlanta as the WC.

My World Series pick was Yankees/Braves.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I had the Rockies winning the NL West and as the NL champion. I also had the Twins winning the AL Central, and the Reds in the NL Central. I didn’t think the Rays or Dbacks had any chance. The Rangers and Phillies were the only ones that I was right about, as I had the Giants winning the NL Wild Card, and the Yankees as the AL WC.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Gene Wojciechowski picked Chicago to win the Central. The NL Central.

• Jesse says:

I wasn’t surprised one bit that Gene didn’t pick the Yankees to make the playoffs. He was the one spitting at the Yankees during their WS run in ’09.

9. Mr. Strawberry/Davis/Raines/Sojo says:

Watching this team at the stadium tonight really made me appreciate how strong the bench is. Definitely a major strength for the playoffs, as well the World Series; double switches & what have you.

Good job Cashman, reminds me of that 98′ bench, with better defense & speed.

10. Mr. Strawberry/Davis/Raines/Sojo says:

Good job Cashman, reminds me of that 98′ bench, with better defense & speed.

11. Buck Foston says:

Mo’s career WHIP is now a mind-boggling 0.998.

“Is that the greatest ever for a player in the modern era?” you might ask.

Yep.

12. Jesus Freak says:

Sox are collapsing like a wet taco.

13. mustang says:

Without a doubt Cashman’s best job as GM of the Yankees. Not many people would have picked this after losing out on Lee and having Colon and Garcia for replacements.

PAY HIM WHATEVER HE WANTS!!!!!

• Jesse says:

Eh, I still don’t really like the way he handles the top pitching prospects.

• mustang says:

Whatever!

You probably don’t like the pimple on Angelina Jolie’s left cheek.

I can live with her and Cashman’s handling of the top pitching prospects.

No one prefect

• mustang says:

Like always here prospects thing too far.

• Mr. Strawberry/Davis/Raines/Sojo says:

Well said Mustang. I Agree 100%.

The “Killer B’s” for this postseason are going to be the Bench & Bullpen.

• Jesse says:

Really? How many elite pitching prospects has Cashman churned out there?

It’s fine and dandy he’s got four World Series Championships, but c’mon, with the payroll he has it’s a major disappointment he doesn’t have more. I mean my goodness, he doesn’t sign CC, A.J, and Tex they don’t win the World Series in 2009. Period. So, if he didn’t pull out his checkbook and pay those guys we’d still be waiting for number 27. Hate to sound like a “troll” but that’s the reality of it.

And for the record, don’t attempt to use the excuse “The Yankees don’t have the high draft picks like other teams with elite pitching prospects do” like everyone else does when I use this argument against Cashman. There’s a shit ton of ace pitchers out there that the Yankees passed on in previous drafts. Sure a lot of that can be blamed on the scouts, but in the end it’s Cashman’s fault. He’s also fucked up the development of Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain.

And if you’re putting all of your eggs in the Killer B basket, it could end up backfiring. All three of the B’s aren’t finished products yet, and if that’s all you have to fallback on it shows that you also know that Cashman has failed in developing homegrown STARTING pitching.

Besides, comparing this to Angelina Jolie’s left cheeck was very moronic. That basically tells me you don’t give a shit about young starting pitching, also very moronic.

• David, Jr. says:

Is Nova homegrown starting pitching?

Is Hughes (18 wins last year) homegrown starting pitching?

Is Kennedy (brought us Granderson) homegrown starting pitching?

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Really? How many elite pitching prospects has Cashman churned out there?

——————-

So I guess you’re not one of those ppl that count Ian Kennedy because he was once a Yankee farm hand

• Jackson says:

TIINSTAAP

• Ted Nelson says:

You’re taking a small sample size and blowing it way out of proportion.

The Yankees clearly had an organizational strategy for years that involved putting more stock into veteran acquisition and less into player development. Cashman is the one who ostensibly changed that strategy to favor player development more. Since then his organization has developed a fair number of good starting prospects. It’s not necessarily his fault that Joba and Hughes haven’t worked out, or that Kennedy was a key piece to get Granderson and did work out for Arizona.

You also have to understand how an organization works. Division of labor. Cashman does not oversee every item of day-to-day business in the organization. He hires and manages people to oversee those things. When you hire someone you think is the right person for the job, you have to give them a little rope to see if they are actually the right person. Since Opp and Nardi have been in their positions, the Yankees’ farm system has become stocked with young starters.

“And if you’re putting all of your eggs in the Killer B basket, it could end up backfiring.”

As are any prospects…

“Cashman has failed in developing homegrown STARTING pitching.”

Again… he hires people to do that. Ultimately the buck stops with him (though even he answers to ownership), but if a few prospects don’t work out that doesn’t mean Cashman personally failed. His job is to win, and player development is one part of that. As much as I find it to be a sexist analogy (and I think Angelina Jolie needs to eat more food)… it’s comparable to a pimple on Jolie’s cheek in that her job as a sex symbol is basically to be hot and that’s one blemish… instead of judging the whole picture you are looking for the small blemishes and blowing them out of proportion.

• Ted Nelson says:

Basically… you responded to a comment that Cashman was the best Gm for the job by pointing to one area that has not shined in the organization… at least in terms of results. You do nothing to prove someone else would be better for the job: everyone makes mistakes and everyone has bad luck sometimes. In attacking the pitcher development side you ignore several realities of the situation and simply point to long-term results.

• Jesse says:

Damon Oppenhimer would do a better job at GM because he can develop elite pitching prospects instead of Cashman who has to sit back and wait for the Free Agents to come out, and because he signs him that means he’s he best GM, which is a stupid assessment because ANYONE could have signed CC, AJ, and Tex.

• Jesse says:

How is 13 years of zero elite pitching prospects a small sample size? My God, if that’s a small sample size you shouldn’t be allowed to make an assessment for ANYTHING.

And in the end it’s still Cashman’s fault if things don’t work out because he hired the scouts to scout the players, and that’s a fact.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

No one is perfect that’s true but after all these yrs the last one was Andy and he came up under Stick.

14. BK2ATL says:

Anyone have an idea of how Posada stacks up offensively and defensively with his C peers over the past 16 years?

Without looking, I’m thinking his career stat line across the board has to be up there with the other HoF catchers. And I’m guess that very few of them have ever directly led or had a direct hand in catching 5 World Series champs.

I just think that since we’re seeing a shell of his former productive body of work, we completely downplay what’s he’s done for us. And this is it for him in the Bronx. He’ll probably come up with a big role in our postseason success. That postseason experience can’t be taught nor forecast.

• dalelama says:

Jorge is borderline HOF…Personally I wouldn’t vote for him because he has been without a doubt the dumbest MLBer over the last 16 years. Last night he even said on the post game show he thought his at bat was in the bottom of the ninth. I just couldn’t vote someone into the Hall who has his head up his ass, great hitting catcher though.

• BK2ATL says:

If that was your criteria, the HoF wouldn’t be as full.

In fact, we had a certain HoF catcher many years ago, who wasn’t what anyone would refer to as a rocket scientist, but he put up numbers and led championship teams on the field.

15. Kiersten says:

For anybody who has MLBTV, I recommend you go into today’s archives and watch the Red Sox get booed off the field/out of the dugout at the end of the game. Their last home game of the season. That’s the goodbye they got. Only a few minutes before the Yankees were popping bottles.

Just watch it.

16. MikeD says:

“…CC would be the first to tell you that.”

Yeah, but if you really got CC to be honest, he’d tell you he appreciated Girardi giving him the opportunity to win #20. CC could have pulled himself out if he really thought it was the wrong decision. He didn’t, and in fact he didn’t want to come out.

I don’t have any criticism for Joe here, just the opposite. The extra ten pitches didn’t jeopardize anything. Man to man, athlete to athlete, competitor to competitor, he was giving him a few extra pitches for what will likely be his last chance to win twenty. It may not mean much to anybody here, but it means something to CC and Joe understood that. His appearance on Sunday will be controlled.

17. Bill says:

This was such a great day in Yankeeland.

18. Stevis says:

A great day in Yankeeland…….sniff , sniff do you smell something bad in Red Sux Nation?
    Must be their fans Shitting in their Panties!
    YES a great day for the Yankees and New York,now for # 28!!!!!

19. Monteroisdinero says:

And now on to Matt Moore. I’ve already hit a HR off him this year. ARod played 3rd.

Sincerely,
    Greg Golson

20. Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

Check in in the morning to see someone post with 432,000 responses about grammar…not a chance in the deepest depths of hell that I’m reading that.

Good job Yanks. Time to enjoy what we already knew and the MSM couldn’t see past their Red Sux boner.

21. Nuke LaDoosh says:

Any ideas who might start Sunday if they push CC’s 3 Furlong Breeze/Workout to Monday? I’ll be at the game and would love to see a Betances/Brackman tag team.

22. Monteroisdinero says:

Great clutch hitting by Swish and Posada. Kudos to them both for a great win and did someone see Soriano actually smile and show us if he has teeth in there? The guy is pretty stingy with his emotions on the field.

No errors for Nunez playing 2B in the first and SS in the second game. Attaboy.

23. Bavarian Yankee says:

wait … WE won the division!? I thought nobody could beat the Roid Sox this year!? And what about our rotation everybody was laughing about in Spring Training!? Who’s laughing now?

anyway, great we did it again. Let’s lose today and then sweep the BoSox and kick them out of the playoffs :D

24. Love it. Fantastic season, and it goes to show that all the bitching and moaning we’ve done has been nitpicking. #firstplaceproblems

GO YANKEES! Here’s to #28.

• David, Jr. says:

This. ++++

ARod said this morning that Girardi obviously should be the Manager of the Year.

Here, every time they lose a game, all you hear is a bunch of goofy bitching and moaning about things like bunting. Watch for it to continue if they don’t virtually sweep the playoffs and the World Series.

25. Tiny Tim says:

Last night proved that Jorge still has a little magic left in that left handed bat of his. Posada should definitely be on the postseason roster.

26. Yank The Frank says:

The Rangers and Tigers as of today have the same record. If at seasons end they still have the same record and the Yanks still have home field who would we play?

27. Doug says:

You know who really cares about 20 wins? CC does. It may not be on the top of his list (hopefully winning another WS does), but at the end of the day, having another 20-win season is going to help his HOF chances. And CC knows this.