Sep

Report: Betances draws the Game 162 start

After keeping us on pins and needles throughout the night, word leaked that the Yankees will start 23-year-old Dellin Betances tonight against the Tampa Bay Rays, Marc Topkin of The St. Petersburg Times reported. Betances, one of the Yanks’ top pitching prospects, made his Major League debut last week against the Rays but had a less-than-stellar outing. Showing signs of nerves and rust after a long layoff, the tall righty allowed two runs on four walks and a hit batter in just 0.2 innings. Betances, a New York native, split the season between AA and AAA where he sported a 10.1 K/9 IP but walked 5 per 9. While the Rays are trying to win the Wild Card or at least force a Game 163 against the Red Sox, the Yankees will showcase a player who figures to be a part of their future tonight.

Categories : Asides, Pitching

1. Rey22 says:

Kickass. The beauty of having clinched a while ago.

2. Rockdog says:

Very cool — I like it. I hope he can relax a bit and pitch a decent inning or two.

3. Guest says:

Wow. Nice.

4. Redsox Lose=Happy me says:

Hey mike do you know what his pitch limit will be?

5. CBean says:

oh exciting! I’m looking forward to seeing him pitch.

6. MUIDATS EEKNAY says:

In other news, Brian Cashman rejected the Red Sox’s trade offer of Josh Beckett in exchange for a Subway gift card and the promise that he’d start against the Rays tonight.

7. Rich in NJ says:

Must. See. TV.

8. Tiny Tim says:

And you can bet that he’s been instructed to serve up a few meat balls to the Rays tonight. It is in our best interests for the Rays and Sox to play a one game playoff and the best way to ensure that is to lose tonight’s ballgame on purpose.

• chaz says:

Proctor served up some meatballs to the Red Sox on Sunday, so as John Sterling would say, “Boston has no kick coming”

• Tiny Tim says:

It’s certainly better than bunting for a single and then removing yourself from the ballgame as Jose Reyes did today. Ted Williams once played both games of a doubleheader, went 6-8, and ended up at a .406 avg for the season. What Reyes did today was dispicable.

• Guest says:

Eh, not paying your child support is despicable.

Bunting and then removing yourself from a baseball game is not great, but its not something that deserves scorn IMHO.

• Will (the other one) says:

“Dirty tricks” are as old as the game itself. I can’t get too worked up over what Reyes did, to be honest.

• Ted Nelson says:

If Boston loses that doesn’t help force a playoff.

9. radnom says:

Very nice. I hope Betances does well and the Yankees lose. Or the Yankees win and the Sox lose. Either way, watching Betances will be fun, and I’m hoping from game 163. Word is that the Sox might trade legit prospects to bring in Bruce Chen just for that game. Not kidding.

10. theyankeewarrior says:

Hope Dellin gains some experience here. And takes a few lumps.

Go Rays.

11. Nick says:

I really dont care about the results, but I want to see Betances do well. If they had called up Whelan it would have been great, they could have had Betances followed up by Brackman, Proctor and Whelan. I cant wait to see the lineup

12. PJ says:

lets hope his pitch limit isn’t 50 pitches cause that means we see him for an Inning but in all seriousness i love this idea and i hope he pitches great but the yanks lose

13. MattG says:

Betances is auditioning for game three vs Detroit.

14. Gustavo says:

Hope betances does well and gives them some length.. Who else would be available tonight?
    Betances
    Proctor
    Valdes
    Laffey
    Brackman?

PS: You’re welcome tampa…

15. Will (the other one) says:

Guaranteed, the Yankees will get absolutely shredded for this tomorrow in the MSM if Tampa wins. Actually, they’ll probably get ripped even if they do win.

• MattG says:

Maybe, but if the Red Sox had Betances, he would’ve started 6 or 7 games for them by now. Nothing the Yankees did caused the Sox to lose 20 games this month.

• Jorge says:

Why? It’s the final game of the season. They have nothing to play for and want to have their rotation in order for the postseason. Non-traditional starters have pitched the final game of the season every year somewhere in the MLB without their teams getting shredded. What the other team is playing for should have no bearing on who the Yankees put out there.

Now, if it occurs “because its the Yankees,” then you have a point.

• Will (the other one) says:

Yup, that’s exactly the point I was trying to make. Personally, I’m looking forward to watching Betances live for the first time, since I didn’t catch his appearance the other night.

16. Bavarian Yankee says:

I’d like to see Betances pitching well but losing is cleary the priority today. If he finishes with more IP than BB then I’ll be happy but he has to give up double digit runs. KICK OUT THE RED SOX, Dellin :D

17. Monteroisdinero says:

Betances is a thrower and far from a finished product. I hope he can locate/not overthrow his fb and throw offspeed pitches for strikes in hitter’s counts.

He needs to relax and realize the Rays are going to take alot of pitches and not help him out until he proves he has command of his pitches.

Who will catch? I assume Montero will DH

18. Bartolo's Colon says:

If we meet tampa in the alcs, i demand that they throw game 1 for us, we have helped them big time over the last 5 days

19. Gonzo says:

Hopefully he throws 3 perfect innings then the rest of the non- playoff bullpen gives up the game.

I would love to see a game 163. Hopefully two of them.

20. CMP says:

I was really hoping for some combination of Scott Proctor, Sergio Mitre, Kei Igawa, Chan Ho Park with Burnett to close.

You can never be too careful.

21. JobaWockeeZ says:

22. Bob Michaels says:

Girardi is getting the Yanks set for a reverse roll in the playoffs. and out in three.

23. Bartolo's Colon says:

dallas braden is going to be a guest announcer during the postseason. i hope they have him interview a-rod at some point, preferably on or near the pitcher’s mound

24. Jesse says:

How long will he really go? 1 inning? 2 innings? Hopefully he doesn’t shit the bed like he did in his debut. But, it’s cool he’s starting. At least the game is worth watching.

25. CMP says:

What is the Red Sox equivalent of RAB?

I’ve never done it before but I have a feeling I may want to do some trolling tonight.

26. Bronx Byte says:

If Betances gives 4 good innings, bring in Proctor and Brackman to stink it up and give Boston a severe case of the sweats with their overworked bullpen.

27. Avi says:

Dam it. I was hoping K-Long would pitch tonight.

28. Darren says:

I forgot about Igawa! He’s probably back in Japan at this point, but that would have been amazing if (a), the Yankees asked him to pitch and (b) he wanted to do it.

There was an interesting article about him in the NYT a few months ago.

29. Monteroisdinero says:

Betances and Brackman: both huge guys who are so different.

I like Dellin’s mechanics but he just needs to relax and not try to throw the ball through the catcher.

I don’t like Brackman’s mechanics but he seems relaxed. I think he can be more with less short arming of his delivery.

30. Bill says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Betances’ velocity goes up and he pitches a lot better than he did in his debut.

• Dennis says:

he was sitting 95-96 how up can it go.

• Jesse says:

I don’t care about his velocity rising. If he can sit at 93-94 and locate the good results will come. He’s had some outings in the minors this year where his location is on, he has the ability.

• Bill says:

I think his location of secondary pitches is key. Betances has the type of fastball that he can miss location but still get it by hitters. If he’s not able to locate his curve and pitch it for strikes or down in and out of the zone, no one is going to swing at it and they can sit fastball. It’s really not any different from any other pitcher – location is key.

31. CS Yankee says:

I would like a Dealin Dellin Domination tonight with all the regulars going yard under the helm of Manager Jorge Posada.

In the other game, Baltimore beats BoSox 1-0, in a 24 inning battle and Boston leaves for their date with Tampa at 4 in the morning.

32. Buck Foston says:

I think it’s funny that NESN has been peddling $250 bricks during their game telecasts.

Something tells me their fans have been shitting enough bricks lately. Do they really don’t need any more?

33. Jorge says:

I am trying my hardest not to root for a loss here, as it’s not something I’d ever do, but I’d love for the lights to go out in Fenway one last time tonight. I really would.

In other words, go Yanks but, if Scotty Proctor gave it up in the 9th, it wouldn’t be the hardest loss to take this year.

34. Ro says:

If played right. We’ll see Betances and Brackman through some quality innings and then Girardi can bring in Proctor in the 7th or 8th and proceed to give up 4 runs. Yanks lose 5-4. Showalter will be managing the game of his life tonight. Everyone is happy!! I pray to god the Red Sox lose! Please please PLEASE lose..

35. BK2ATL says:

I am a happy guy today. Girardi gave in and gave Betances the final start of 2011. I guess we will see Brackman and Kontos at some point as well. Jesus behind the plate. Laird will play 3B at some point. I love it. I hope all of the kids do well.

Then around the 6th or 7th inning, Girardi generously gives Proctor, Laffey, and Valdes an inning each. LOL!!!

36. BK2ATL says:

I wonder did the Red Sox call Cash to ask about trading for Igawa for today.

Iglesias + $100K for Igawa?