Sep

Mother Nature tried to stop ‘em, but Yanks beat O’s anyway

Four hours later, the Yankees and Orioles finally played. The first pitch was thrown until 11:08pm ET on Tuesday night, the final pitch at 2:16am on Wednesday morning, and in between there was a whole lotta grounds crew shenanigans. Drying agent, puddles on the warning track, more drying agent, outfielders slipping, all of that and more. The whole game was a complete mess. Let’s quickly recap…

• Jorge Posada opened the scoring with a solo homer in the third, the third straight long ball hit by the Yankees DH’s. It might have been the last homer Posada ever hits at Yankee Stadium. Hell, it might be the last homer he hits ever. Crazy. Their second run scored with the help of the elements, when Jorge chugging all the way around from first after Matt Angle dropped Frankie Cervelli‘s fly ball to the warning track in left. The wind knocked it down, otherwise it would have been Frankie’s third homer in the last week. Now that is crazy.
  • Phil Hughes pitched fine for the first five-plus innings, but he gave up the lead when Matt Wieters hit a two-run homer to left. Cervelli called for the high fastball in the 0-2 count, Hughes threw the high fastball in the 0-2 count, and Wieters hit it out of the park in the 0-2 count. Seemed like a very weird pitch to call for at the time, but whatever. Otherwise, two runs across six innings is perfectly fine from the fifth starter.
  • The Yankees retook the lead the very next half inning, when Derek Jeter singled, Curtis Granderson walked (on a 3-2 pitch right down the middle, terrible call by the ump), and Mark Teixeira singled. Tex’s shot was one of those “he hit it so hard it was just a single” numbers. The Orioles re-tied it in the next half inning when Nick Markakis doubled home Robert Andino off LNOGY Boone Logan.
  • A half inning after that happened, things got weird. I mean really weird. Cervelli hit another rocket to left, and this one was ruled a homer after a fan appeared to reach over the fence to catch the ball. The umps reviewed it, and bam, the homer stood. That makes it four would-be homers over the last week. Because that’s not enough, Brett Gardner jumped all over a 3-0 fastball and clanked it off the right field foul pole for the second of back-to-back jacks. Cervelli and Gardner have no business hitting back-to-back homers, but we were well within the bounds of #weirdbaseball by that point. Fair game.
  • Once that all got sorted out, David Robertson pitched a scoreless eight and Mariano Rivera shut things down in the ninth for his 598th career save. He’s getting closer to the all-time record (601) by the day. The Red Sox won and the Rays lost about an hour before this game even started, so the Yankees remained 2.5 games up in the division and moved to 10.5 up for the wildcard. The magic number to clinch a playoff spot dropped to just 12. Here’s the box score, here’s the FanGraphs stats, and here’s the standings.

If you were supposed to go to the game, or even if you did go and stuck around all night, you’ll get a free ticket to a non-premium game next season. So hooray for that, I’m sure it’ll make up for the pneumonia. Anyway, these two teams are supposed to play again at 1pm ET on Wednesday, but there’s little chance of that happening since it’s going to keep raining. Expect another long delay. Whenever they start that one, it’ll be A.J. Burnett and Zach Britton on the bump.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

You had this one written up. amirite?

2. daniel says:

Stayed up to watch this game. This game was surreal. Stadium looked like it was 1991. Weird plays.
    But a win is a win.

3. Xstar7 says:

That WPA graph pisses me off almost as much as this game did. 6-0 in the Jesus Montero era, just sayin’.

4. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Mo is inching closer and closer to 602 saves. My money still is on him getting it in the last home game of the year against the Sox to clinch the AL East.

5. dkidd says:

just glad no one got hurt

somehow i blame bud selig

• Pat D says:

Well that bastion of integrity Michael Kay said that this was not in the Yankees’ hands, and not even in the umpires’ hands, so it goes to the league office and he’s the head of that.

So your blame is well assigned.

6. Rich in NJ says:

What’s up with Cervelli lately?

7. Brian S. says:

I’m actually starting to hate the Orioles. Is that weird?

• Charles says:

Nope, I’ve really started to root for them to beat the O’s just because of Showalters comments recently.

• sangreal says:

No, I hate them more than the Sox lately. The thing that bothers me the most though, is I believe they want us to hate them to promote some sort of rivalry

• amr5026 says:

They need a rivalry to get their own fans to come to games when we show up in town.

• Josh S. says:

Showalter’s probably still pissed at the Yankees for winning the W.S. the year after he was gone in ’96. Considering they beat the O’s in the ALCS that year (with a little help from Derek Jeter and some fan interference), maybe you’re onto something…

• Jorge says:

Feel bad for them more than hate them because of being stuck with Angelos and the dysfunction that goes along with it. Luke Scott can also go jump off a bridge. I feel very bad for their youngsters, though, as there’s talented kids there who seem to be spinning their wheels. CoJo and Laird for a sell-low Matusz?

• bonestock94 says:

I used to not hate them and keep track of their prospects, but the Buck Showalter era has changed that. I hope they lose 162 games next year.

• I’ve hated them my whole life. Buck certainly doesn’t help.

• MUIDATS EEKNAY says:

Being down here in Oriole Land for the past, Christ, 9 years, the thing that’s forced me to hate them is their TV announcers. They’ve gotten better in recent years, but they frequently seem like pissy little whiners, especially when playing the big, mean Yankees. No one’s ever gonna accuse guys like Michael Kay and John Sterling of NOT being homers, but at least they get legitimately excited for things that happen to both teams.

(What’s even sadder: Nationals announcers. I swear you would’ve heard them sucking off Strasburg last night if he went to the booth between innings.)

8. burbankbogey says:

Agree very weird pitch call on that 0-2 pitch to Wieters. Hughs was at 100 pitches and velocity was dropping. Went inside on previous pitch which Wieters pulled foul. Just seemed the margin for error was so small and got burned. Didn’t seem like Hughs and Cervelli were on the same page for most of the night. Win is a win though

• crawdaddie says:

I thought it was a horrible pitch selection with his diminishing fastball. At least change the eye level with a curve low in the strike zone.

• 7commerce says:

Don’t know much about pitching/catching, do you. Very smooth work by battery last night. Book on Wieters is to pass him up & in when he is lefty. Phil missed…it’s allowed. QS in a nasty night.

9. Big says:

Why do I sometimes get the web version on my phone as opposed tinge mobile version?

I like the web version much better. Is there a button I’m missing to toggle back and forth.

• forensic says:

Totally agree, i hate the mobile versions of these sites, same deal with lohud (though I haven’t found a way to change that one).

On my iPhone (don’t know if it’s the same on all phones) you can go to the bottom of the mobile version page and there is a link for the regular version. Sometimes I have to go to another website and then back again after doing that for the change to take affect, but I think it usually holds it in memory until the phone is turned off. Then you may have to do it again.

• BigDavey88 says:

What mobile browser are you guys using? Depending on which one, there should be an options within the menus to switch your phone from viewing pages via “mobile” or “desktop”.

• BigDavey88 says:

And if you don’t already, I recommend using Opera on smartphones.

For whatever that’s worth to you.

• MUIDATS EEKNAY says:

If you see the mobile version and click “desktop version” at the bottom, it probably assigns you some cookie to always show the desktop version which expires after a while, so you see the mobile version until you click that link again. I find the desktop version too slow on the iPhone for commenting on game threads. Something about how it does a live-update to the preview version of a comment as you type really slows the browser.

If you have an iPhone, try the new Dolphin web browser. It has a “desktop mode” so you see the non-mobile version of pages, and also gestures for scrolling down to the bottom of pages, like the very long game threads.

10. MikeD says:

Always good to see Wade on the horse. Good memory and a reminder that the magic number is getting lower.

11. A-ROD fan says:

Posada don’t give up

12. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Big tip of the cap to the announcing booth. I’d be asleep by the 5th.

13. Kiko Jones says:

Aside from the HRs and winning the game itself, this was one big drag. Speaking of HRs…although it initially looked like it had bounced off the RF foul pole, Gardner’s HR actually hit the Fox “Power” sign on the 2nd deck. Nice symbolism there, huh?

14. David, Jr. says:

A joke of a game. Just lucky that nobody got hurt.

15. forensic says:

I don’t know why, but I found it funny that the Orioles were playing a first baseman at third base and a third baseman at first base.

Just seems like a very Orioles thing to do.

16. Foghorn Leghorn says:

just watched the highlights…what a miserable mess. a win is a win and thankfully no one was hurt.

so funny that on Jorge’s HR they show Jesus in the dugout…

kudos to the few fans that stayed behind…that’s a lot of waiting and another 3 hrs for a ball game. Saw some kids there…i’m sure won’t be getting on the bus this morning!

17. Monteroisdinero says:

Posada now joins a list of Yankees 40 and over to homer in a game. Hard to believe he is 40 and Montero is 21.

18. JimAbbottFan says:

It was a bit disconcerting that Hughes’ stuff wasn’t anything special. However, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was probably one or more of the combination of the late start, the wet mound, and the inability to get into a rhythm due to the grounds crew preventing the infield from becoming a slip-n-slide.

• Foghorn Leghorn says:

i wouldn’t make too much of it. those conditions were nasty. i watched the first 3 innings and at times it looked like it was raining pretty hard and was windy.

plus, i’m sure it was weird for both teams to be playing in an empty stadium.

• Will says:

“Not anything special” is actually pretty optimistic. Once again, Hughes looked absolutely awful, but once again, he got away with it.

As much as everyone here (other than me) hates AJ, consider this: AJ can shut down any team in baseball—whether or not he’s successful depends pretty much entirely on how consistent his mechanics are on any given day; whereas Hughes can only shut down free-swinging teams (Orioles, White Sox, Twins) who are prone to bad BABIP luck on 90-mph belt-high fastballs.

Let’s hope the Yankees realize that and make the correct decision regarding the postseason roster.

19. Hall and Nokes says:

So I watched the MLBTV clip with about 12 replays and it didn’t look like a home run to me on any of them.

20. theyankeewarrior says:

Did anyone else hear Michael Kay say “mingia, it hit em in the face!” when that ball jumped up and hit Cano early in the game?

If you have the game DVR’d it is well worth a second, third, fourth, and fifth listen.

21. So the magic # was wrong all yesterday? IT was at 14, and then this morning with a yankee win and red sox win it’d down to 12….

Not that it matters, just curious.

22. Billy Pilgrim says:

I couldn’t stay up to watch the game because I have a job. Hopefully the rain will give back today and allow me to watch today’s game at night.

23. Hall and Nokes says:

If it were up to me I think I would put Mariano on a plane to Anaheim this morning.

24. Jd says:

Time to ask ourselves if Frankie is a potential starter and deserves to be regarded as such. If traded, he should command a good plyer in return. He is dynamite in the clubhouse and ignites passion on team full of millioniares.

• FachoinaNYY says:

If we could trade him for a useful piece I think hes gone this off season… I think he is highly replaceable, but I would miss him for some odd reason. Though watching Montero play more would certainly wash that feeling away quickly.

• Sarah says:

You’ll miss the fist pumps, but maybe Frankie can teach Montero how to do those properly.

Fortunately, Montero is also Latin so we probably won’t lose the inappropriate clapping at home plate. Salty will continue to disapprove.

• Nick says:

If you want to form your own baseball team with terrible players because they’re fiery, by all means.

But the charade has gone on long enough. Cashman has passed up too many opportunities to trade the guy. It has to end this offseason.

25. Alibaba says:

Ellsbury worked out in the off-season. RS players don’t juice. Never ever.

26. Alibaba says:

Whose fault was it? Cervelli calling for that pitch?