Sep

No offense, no win: Yanks drop fourth straight

Do I hear four? Yes, I do hear four losses in a row. Let’s recap…

• Once again, the Yankees offense didn’t bother to show up. The picked up just four hits and not a single walk, and over their last 25 innings they’ve scored exactly one run (Jesus Montero‘s solo homer on Friday) and had just four batters get beyond first base. Four! Dan Haren is the first pitcher to throw a first complete game shutout against New York this season, and I don’t think he even broke a sweat. It was a thorough dismantling of a team of a team that couldn’t bring someone home if they were a high school quarterback in their dad’s BMW.
  • CC Sabathia wasn’t great or even good (13 baserunners in six innings), but one run in six innings is a very winnable game. He needs to get back to being on a normal five-day schedule very soon because he just hasn’t been right since this whole six-man rotation thing started. I can totally see Sabathia being the kind of guy that thrives on too much work rather than not enough.
  • Best part of the game was easily Jorge Posada‘s return to catching. Russell Martin suffered a bruised right thumb courtesy of a foul ball and Joe Girardi presumably didn’t want to lose the DH by putting Montero behind the plate, so in same Posada. Sure enough, he threw out the first (and only) baserunner that attempted to steal. For a guy that hadn’t caught a competitive inning in eleven months, he didn’t look half bad.
  • The Rays walked off with a win against the Red Sox, so the lead in the wildcard shrunk to seven games while the lead in the division remained at 2.5 games with 18 to play. Here’s the box score, here’s the FanGraphs stuff, and here’s the standings.

Good news: Martin’s x-rays came back negative, but Montero will catch Sunday as the regular backstop gets a few days to rest his bruised digit. Meanwhile, the Yankees will try to salvage the series when Freddy Garcia gets the ball against Ervin Santana at 3:35pm ET.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Cuso says:

X-rays on Martin are negative

2. Cuso says:

In response to being asked “Who’s catching on Sunday?”

Girardi smirks, “We’ll see who gets here tomorrow.”

Hello, Austin! Trial by fire.

Go get ‘em kid!!!

3. Trevor says:

These guys look flat out tired. I would give Granderson and Gardner a day off tommorrow. They really looked slow at the plate. With Montero catching tommorrow I would also put Posada at 1B and DH Tex.

4. The Lazzeri Scooter says:

Hopefully, the offense finally makes an appearence tommorow for the Universe can’t take many more of these losses.

Also, it be nice if no other key player goes down to injury, its get pretty ugly out there on the Mash unit.

5. Xstar7 says:

D’oh

But Martin’s X-Rays coming back negative is very good news and I’m looking forward to Montero’s first start behind the plate.

6. The Lazzeri Scooter says:

Good News, it was pretty cool moment watching Jorge catch in this game & I was genuinely pumped when he threw out Kendrick at second.

Would have been sweeter with a win, obviously, but still pretty cool.

7. Pat D says:

I can’t believe that idiot Girardi was so stupid to have CC pitch tonight. What the hell is he thinking by throwing our best pitcher against a team with another really good pitcher like Haren? He knows the offense has been shit the last few days, so why did he go and waste CC knowing he wouldn’t get any run support? Why not start Betances or Brackman in this game???

Question marks and exclamation points?!?!?!?!?!

In other news, I just saw that one-time Yankee Justin Christian is with the Giants. Not only that, but he led off for them tonight! So I guess things could be worse…

• Brian D says:

What do you mean exactly? Girardi couldn’t skip CC. He ‘s already pitching every 6 days rather than the normal 5, and going up against Haren CC is your best option.

• Sarah says:

Love it.

Can you believe the Giants and that epic meltdown? Justin Christian batting lead off.

• Xstar7 says:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

• Pat D says:

Well, did you also see the end of the Notre Dame/Michigan game? Couple these two games, and then throw in Penn State’s all-around ineptitude and you’ll get an idea.

But, yea, this post was sarcasm.

• forensic says:

I used to like ND, but since the media went overboard in their love for them, probably starting with Charlie Weis, I just can’t bring myself to root for them anymore. Lou Holtz’ constant ‘ND can do no wrong’ has really topped it all off. Him saying they should win the National Championship before last week was absolutely pitiful. I still gotta root for Michigan.

And don’t worry about PSU. Once they hird a live head coach I’m sure they’ll be fine.

• LiterallyFigurative says:

PSU needs to end this Joe Pa facade they’re putting up. He’s not the coach. They show him in the box, and he doesn’t even have a headset on!

• toad says:

Starting with Charlie Weis??? Try Knute Rockne.

Guess what, there was a world before you were born.

8. JobaWockeeZ says:

Montero needs to play everyday.

9. forensic says:

It’s way too important to avoid hurting Burnett’s or Hughes’ feelings than it is to put the rest of the rotation in a better position to succeed.

10. forensic says:

Jorge quit on this team on May 14th. I know very few agree with me, but I’m always disgusted by the celebration of whatever he has done since then.

• The Lazzeri Scooter says:

Bitter much?

Get over it, forensic. Can’t ya give a future Hall-a-Famer a break? He had one awful reaction this entire season and he apologized for it already.

Been all class act since then as well, so I see the problem is more on, I’m afraid.

• Xstar7 says:

“future Hall-of-Famer” might be a stretch. It’s no sure sure thing that he’ll get into the Hall.

• Pat D says:

He’s not a HOF’er.

• The Lazzeri Scooter says:

Boderline definitely, right?

Don’t neglect to realize he was the best catcher of the previous decade and has comparable numbers to other Hall of Fame Catchers. His offense numbers are legit greatness for a catcher and he will get a prolong look for induction, eventually.

Anywho, I’m right that its okay to feel happy for Jorge tonight, right? No need to remain jilted over one bad incident from earlier this season.

Nice moment for Jorge tonight, that’s all.

• Pat D says:

Jorge was never thought of as the best catcher. First there was Piazza and IRod ahead of him, then as they declined and the years went on you’ve had McCann and Mauer regarded as better.

Also, most of the HOF catchers are clearly better than Jorge. I’d only rate Jorge ahead of Ray Schalk, Rick Ferrell, Ernie Lombardi, and perhaps Roger Bresnahan and Buck Ewing, but the last two played a much different type of baseball. I can’t put Jorge above Cochrane, Dickey, Gabby Hartnett, Campy, Yogi, Bench, Fisk or Carter.

BRef has Jorge’s best comps as Javy Lopez, Hartnett, Lance Parrish, Bill Freehan, Benito Santiago, Dickey and Lombardi.

He’ll probably hang on the ballot for the full 15 years, as he’ll always have enough people to give him 5% of the vote, but he’ll probably never poll more than 15-20%. He’ll be like Joe Torre in that respect, if you look at Torre’s HOF vote history.

• Nuke LaDoosh says:

I think he’s borderline and will get some votes, but won’t get in.

• Mike Axisa says:

He won’t get in, but he probably should. At the very least, he should draw enough votes to stay on the ballot for several years.

• forensic says:

He’s not a Hall-of-Famer.

A bad decision is saying something stupid to the media, showing up late for BP, etc. Quiting on your team and pulling yourself out of a lineup because things weren’t put the way you wanted and felt you were entitled to is more than that.

• Nuke LaDoosh says:

He pissed me off to but i forgave him and moved on.

• Truth Meter says:

Go troll a Met board, loser.

• LiterallyFigurative says:

Why should he leave? Because he doesn’t automatically gargle Pinstripe balls?

Forensic is right. He quit on the team. There’s no excuse for what he did.

Alex Rodriguez was hit 8th by Joe Torre at a time when he was at WORST the 2nd best player in the entire world. Did he say “No, I don’t wanna bat down there, so I won’t play”? No, he sucked it up and did it, even if it hurt his pride.

The idea that we give Jorge a pass for that is ridiculous. Especially when he was sucking at the plate for a year +. I don’t care if he’s a Yankee. If the manager puts you in a certain spot and you don’t wanna do it, you should be cut.

11. The Lazzeri Scooter says:

Feeling bad for Wade Boggs. All this dissapointment and anger is going to start to boil over at happy Boggs on his trusty steed. The memory is getting ruined by this awful offense. (Not Really)

Win one for Wade and horse tommorow!! I want to see Scooter!

12. Jesse says:

Granderson NEEDS a day off BAD. He looks fried at the plate and just doesn’t seem to play with the same energy in the field. Have Gardner in center, Dickerson in left, and Golson in right. Yes that sounds like a very pathetic outfield, but you gotta give your top MVP candidate a breather, he just looks totally shot. My lineup would look like this tomorrow:

CF.Gardner
    SS.Jeter
    1B.Teixeira
    3B.Rodriguez
    2B.Cano
    C.Montero
    DH.Posada
    LF.Dickerson
    RF.Golson

13. Mojo says:

I was at tonight’s game and I could tell from the first inning that Haren would throw a complete game shutout. Not doing shit with Jeter’s leadoff double was just the beginning to yet another familiar, painfully dreadful story that this team has been reading for the past several days. I was also at last night’s game, in which they collected three hits. The only highlight was, clearly, the Jesus blast. I spent more than $500 on both games (girlfriend included) and I got absolutely NOTHING in return. Front row, yesterday and today, and I got NOTHING. I’m pretty peeved. It’s so cliche, but it literally looked like the offense did NOT show up. Not even Cano was swinging the bat well. Teixera and Gardner were not even worthy of a Double-A uniform and that lefty (#22) fuc%ing sucks. Bart was great but CC was terrible. He had close to NO location on any of his pitches. The only exciting highlight of my two night turd fest was getting to see Montero hit the piss out of the ball. Oh, and Swisher acknowledged me on multiple occasions and gave me a ball (I was wearing a Swisher shirt). AND! My GF got a foul ball.

I’m frustrated and babbling but HOLY SHIT these last two games (4 really) were pathetic. I said before I left that my fear would could culminate in the offense continuing to sputter… and… of course they did just that. Someone needs to bench Teixera. He doesn’t add shit to this lineup. Drop him in the order, take him out for a games and readjust his swing, or, I don’t know… He has been awful. It’s a shame to waste quality pitching. I know that Weaver and Haren are great but damn, our guys look DEAD. Can’t run into another October with the team reeling and limping like they are now.

• Jesse says:

I agree with your assessment with Teixeira to readjust his swing. It seems like since he came to the Yankees, or really since 2010 he gets wayyyyy too pull happy and tries to just pull it out of the park. I’m sick of having guys like Teixeira and Giambi get paid a shit ton and only pull the ball and choose to not go the other way. Sure they produced very good home run and RBI totals, but c’mon. You know they would be much more productive if they took it the other way once in awhile.

I hate to admit it, but I’d much rather have Adrian Gonzalez on my team than Teixeira, no doubt.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Teixeira is turning into Carlos Pena.

Carlos Pena: .226/.353/.463
        Left handed Tex: .223/.328/.461

He better get it together because I’m not sure if I can stand 5 more years (or whatever it is) of a .220 pull happy first baseman. I mean, I don’t even remember Giambi being THIS bad…

• Cuso says:

Tex needs to get in better shape in the offseason

Not to say that he’s “out” of shape, but seeing him take windsprints a couple times when I was at YS3 this year it was apparent.

He’s needs a rededication offseason similar to A-Rod Winter ’07 and Swisher’s Winter ’10 (yes, I actually gave Swish a slight compliment).

• Mojo says:

AGon hands down… I’ll take AGon when he’s 40 over Tex. While I can’t quite say that I’m done with Teixera, his whole pop up and pony tricks are becoming laughable. Even the ol’ ball and chain dreads his at bats, calling him “Pop n’ Tex”. When a girl, that knows next to nothing about baseball, starts mocking a player, I think it’s about time to take him out back and put him down. Do the Curtis Granderson experiment on Mark at the very least. And, well, speaking of Curtis, someone else said it in this thread… he needs a breather. He wasn’t even hitting the ball well in batting practice… Jesus on the other hand…

• forensic says:

Though it’d be nice, I don’t think it’s going to happen. Long has already said he loves that Tex still hits 30 homers and there’s no reason to mess with something like that.

I just wish people like that would think about the other 600 AB’s outside of the homers that occur in a season…

• Truth Meter says:

I’ll take Tex hands down when he’s 77 over AGon. Why? Who knows, who cares. It doesn’t make any sense, just like all of your postings. Baseball is clearly not your game.

• Mojo says:

Wow. And you’re clearly a dick. It’s people like you that can truly make baseball a sour experience. You remind of the inexplicable assholes sitting behind us that got booted from the game tonight for excessive cussing and being exorbitantly drunk. So sorry I offended you, massa. And, well, who are you? I’ve never seen you post around here before. Here’s a suggestion, quit being a dick and find someone else to attack and harass. I hear Boston is loaded with targets this time of year…

14. Joseph cecala says:

Just rest everyone tomorrow I would rather the scrubs have offensive troubles rather than the real 1am

15. Joseph cecala says:

Just rest everyone tomorrow I would rather the scrubs have offensive troubles rather than the real team

16. Kevin says:

My fears about the wild card now don’t seem so farfetched do they?
    Boston will snap out of their slump at some point, and they’ll have the Baltimore Orioles to break it out on.
    Meanwhile, we’ll face the Rays and if we’re still fighing for the Wild Card,the Rays or the Angels could very well knock us out of it.
    Bottom line,we should have at least won the two games against the O’s..now we are fighting for our playoff lives.

17. sevrox says:

Far too much drama, folks. Every team goes into slumps. Yanks are 30 games over .500 and 2.5 games up over an excellent 2nd place team. Gain some perspective.

18. gargoyle says:

Montero should not be behind the plate. Ever. Seeing the YES video where they are throwing balls in the dirt at him as training made me cringe. A generational hitting talent and they are intent on ruining his knees by making him play C. He was put on this planet to hit, not to be chasing AJ Burnett’s (or anyone else’s) pitches in the dirt.

He needs to learn how to play a passable 1B and be the full time DH. Tex won’t be here forever.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I don’t really want Montero catching either, but Teixeira will be a Yankee through 2016. That’s a long time.

• Guns of the Navarone says:

And Jesus will only be 25/26 that year. I think it would benefit the Yankees to teach this kid some 1B. It couldn’t hurt. Teix certainly won’t be playing 1B every day the last couple years of his contract.

• Evan3457 says:

By the time 2017 rolls around, maybe. Jesus will be 27 that year, and a transition to 1st base would be possible then, assuming his bat develops as projected.

• Evan3457 says:

Tex has a no-trade, and if he wants to, he’ll be a Yankee through 2016. Full time DH…that’s another matter. But then, since A-Rod is here through 2017, that means 42 year old A-Rod creaking around 3rd base.

So: the possible longterm scenarios are:

1) Montero establishes his top rank bat at DH, and is traded for a pitching ace.

2) Montero is the backup catcher, and most-time DH next year, while he learns from Pena/Girardi/Martin et al the fine points of catching at the big league level, and is the starting catcher starting in 2013.

• Monteroisdinero says:

It will be #2. ARod is going to be so painful to watch in the last few years of his contract. Fortunately, he will rarely be healthy so we won’t have to!

19. Jorge says:

Yankee teams that have gone on to win championships have looked worse over longer stretches than this.

Looking forward to getting a better idea as to what Montero looks like behind the plate, and to seeing Posada get some final licks back there. Also hope Martin and Cervelli are back soon.

20. Bavarian Yankee says:

nice owning and pwning by the Angels so far, their pitchers are still laughing in the clubhouse :D

btw: is Noesi the reincarnation of Jose Veras? It feels like he’s giving up a run every single time he’s out there.