Oct

Kiss ‘Em Goodbye: Laffey, Proctor, Valdes

The Yankees announced today that Scott Proctor, Raul Valdes, and Aaron Laffey have all been outrighted off the 40-man roster. Proctor and Valdes elected free agency rather than accept the assignment to the minors while Laffey was claimed off waivers by the Royals. The trio combined for 5.40 ERA in 28.1 IP late in the year, but that’s almost entirely due to Proctor.

The moves clear three 40-man spots, but as Joe explained earlier, there’s seven players due to come off the 60-day DL after the season.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Kiko Jones says:

Olney says the Yankees might trade for Joey Votto. Goodbye Swisher?

2. Kiko Jones says:

A buddy emailed me that Olney was on Bill Simmon’s show when he said it.

3. Kiko Jones says:

Sorry, it was supposedly on Simmons’ podcast.

4. David says:

So Proctor’s off the roster… will he still be pitching for us today?

5. Jorge (needs a new name) says:

I kinda liked Laffey, but I didn’t like him enough to miss him or not want the 40-man spot back.

Votto-to-the-Yanks is typical “Hey, some superstar might be on block. The Yankees would want him!” blather. He hardly fits a need the team needs to fill in 2012 unless he throws a nasty slider and can give them 200 innings.

• Sarah says:

I swear, Buster just makes crap up. What possible use do the Yankees have for Votto? He’s going to play RF and they are going to let Swisher go? Oh wait, I know, he’s going to take Tex’s spot or maybe he can DH? Ridiculous.

I kind of liked Laffey as well, but if the Royals want him, they can have him. There will be other options for LOOGYs.

• Rainbow Connection says:

Why so angry?

• Sarah says:

Not really. I just sometimes get aggravated with these silly sorts of rumors. It’s sort of like the “SF is interested in CC” one that someone put out there the other day. There’s not enough actual baseball to report on, so they start making stuff up.

Or maybe I’m angry because my team isn’t in the playoffs anymore and I’m feeling deprived. :-)

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I would have rather kept Valdes.

• Ted Nelson says:

The Yankees were apparently one of only two teams seriously scouting Votto before the draft and were prepared to take him with their first pick; however, the Reds were the other team seriously scouting him and took him before the Yankees had the chance (Yankees took Weeden).

So they might not actually go out and trade for him given the likely cost and their needs, but there certainly might be some interest on the Yankees’ end. They absolutely might be inquiring to find out what the price is. Just because they already have a very good line-up, that doesn’t mean they can’t make it better with a slugger entering his prime. Just because they have more pressing needs, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t get Votto is it’s a very good value (which I doubt it will be).

6. Matt DiBari says:

HOORAY! NO MORE LEFTIES

7. Rainbow Connection says:

Proctor has already been hired as Torre’s assistant at the MLB Offices.

8. Supernova says:

If obtaining Joey Votto means the end of Nick Swisher then I’m all for it. Votto can’t do any worse in the postseason.

9. BK2ATL says:

Do we get anything from the Royals’ waiver claim of Laffey? A big bag of Cool Ranch Doritos at least, not the $1.29 size?

Does this clear the way for this year’s FA loogy addition, Mike Gonzalez???

10. SevenAces says:

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!~!
    Not Laffey!!!! Not Proctor!!!!!

11. Monteroisdinero says:

Saying goodbye to these three makes me feel bad that we previously said……

hello

All 3 of these guys suck and we didn’t need them to ABSORB bullshit innings in an attempt to baby our more effective pitchers for the post season.

• Ted Nelson says:

There’s that whole “depth” thing where you need a replacement should one of your better pitchers get injured…

12. Angryankee says:

It’s unfortunate these guys lose their jobs because the Yanks hit too many homers.