Oct

Link Dump: Comeback Player of the Year, Ortiz

Another rainy, yucky afternoon in New York, so I’ve got some inks that will hopefully brighten up the late lunch hour…

One of the two times Fat Elvis went deep in pinstripes. (AP Photo/Jim Mone)

Berkman, Ellsbury named Comeback Players of the Year

MLB announced today that Jacoby Ellsbury and former Yankee Lance Berkman have been named the AL and NL Comeback Players of the Year, respectively. Call me a homer, but I think Bartolo Colon should have taken home the AL award. I view this season as a breakout year for Ellsbury, not a comeback. Colon’s career was basically over, it had been four full year since he was last an effective pitcher. Put it this way, what would have surprised you more in March, Ellsbury having the year he had, or Colon having the year he had? Oh well, just my two cents. Congrats to Puma.

Ortiz and the Yankees

Amidst the chaos going on in the Boston, David Ortiz told ESPN’s Colleen Dominguez that he didn’t want to be part of the drama next year. That led to an exchange about the Yankees, and possibly wearing pinstripes in 2012…

“That’s something I gotta think about,” Ortiz said. “I’ve been here on the Red Sox a long time, and I’ve seen how everything goes down between these two ballclubs.”

Ortiz stopped well short of saying he wanted to play for the Yankees, but did express respect for the organization.

“It’s great from what I hear,” Ortiz said of the Yankees. “It’s a good situation to be involved in. Who doesn’t want to be involved in a great situation where everything goes the right way?

Well, I’m glad Ortiz is willing to spend some time thinking about joining the Yankees, but it takes two to tango. As Joe explained yesterday, acquiring a DH is so far down the team’s priority list right now that it’s one notch above “get a new second baseman.” They’d have to give up a draft pick to sign Ortiz since he’s a Type-A free agent (and will certainly be offered arbitration), and then deal with the inevitable PED questions when the Red Sox throw him under the bus as part of their smear campaign like they do everyone else.

Yanks exec interviewed for Phillies gig

Just a small note, but George King reports the Yankees allowed assistant pro scouting director Will Kuntz to interview for the Phillies minor league director position, but he did not get it. This comes on the heels of the news that both Billy Eppler and Damon Oppenheimer were given permission to interview for the Angels vacant GM position (Kuntz works under Eppler). I guess it’s good to know the Yankees front office people are wanted around the league.

Categories : Links

1. Dave B says:

Agree on Colon and Ortiz comments. I just wish Berkman wasn’t such a fat ass when we had him last year. That guy was in mammoth shape all year and just crushed the ball.

2. Dan says:

I wonder if some of the lack of votes for Colon was due to the fact that he needed a questionable treatment to have the kind of year he had. The fact that it involved stem-cell treatment and the controversy that the doctor was involved in with HGH might have made people skeptical about giving Colon recognition for the comeback.

3. DERP says:

No Vogelsong?

4. Amazed that Colon didn’t get it. The stem cell controversy perhaps ‘scared’ voters away?

Love the Ortiz quotes. The whole thoughts about being a Yankee didn’t bother me. I was intrigued by him saying it was a bad situation and he wasn’t sure he wanted to come back. Ortiz to the Rays!

5. Matty Matt says:

Ha! William!

6. vin says:

I can’t believe Puma got on the field for 143 games (126 of which in the OF) and put up the kind of numbers he did. He put up better rate numbers than Pujols and Holliday despite batting behind them. Pretty impressive.

7. Jose M. Vazquez.. says:

The Yankees surely have a lot of executives that other teams want. That shows that success is a magnet for the competitors. I have written on another blog that I do not want Ortiz even for a dollar a day. He’s trying to use the Yankees as leverage. Finally, I agree that Colon deserves the comeback player award because he had been absent from the game for so long.

8. A.D. says:

I find it funny that Ortiz talks as if the Yankee door is readily open for him.

• Jumpin' Jack Swisher (formerly Jorge) says:

He won’t be the only one saying that out there. Any other year, it would be, and I’m even not convinced right now that the franchise wouldn’t be slightly tempted.

Steinbrenner would have already scheduled the press conference.

9. theyankeewarrior says:

Surprised there wasn’t a better NL candidate. Lance was still a great hitter last year.

10. Mr T. says:

I would have liked him for a 1 year deal with the Yankees in RF…and traded Swisher maybe in a package for a high end pitcher…he settled for 1 year 12M…I don’t think the Yankees would have been against giving him 13M…especially if they could get a good pitcher in a trade for Swisher.

• Ted Nelson says:

Yankees could have offered Berkman arb and had a chance to bring him back around $15 million. They didn’t. If they wanted him at $13 million I’m not sure they would have let $2-3 million stand in their way.

Hindsight is nice, but it’s hard to say it was obvious last off-season that Berkman would outproduce Swisher.

• Dave B says:

I agree Ted. Going into the year, I also don’t think anyone would have felt had he come back he would be a capable RF, even if Swisher weren’t in the picture.

• Craig says:

I was under the impression that Berkman waived his no trade in August of 2010 as long as the Yankees had no intention of bringing him back the following year.

• Mike Axisa says:

The condition of the trade was that the Yankees couldn’t pick up his option for this year. Usually it’s the other way around, guys nearing the end want the option picked up to waive their NTC.

11. MannyGeee says:

Loving that Ortiz is beating the Red Sox to the smear campaign. The Rays/Orioles will come a-callin…

12. James says:

I’d love to see what Girardi would do when Ortiz crashes one of his postgame interviews, cursing about official scorers and RBIs.

13. Jumpin' Jack Swisher (formerly Jorge) says:

For a very long time, I thought it was an almost-guarantee that one of Ortiz or Manny would spend a year in pinstripes before retiring. I’m pretty surprised it’s actually not going to turn out that way.

Ortiz is probably still too good to fit into the Marcus Thames role.

As for Berkman, I’m just as shocked as everyone else. I thought he’d be riding off into retirement, not what he did last year. FWIW, he’s just one of those guys who never looked flattering in pinstripes.

14. Jamey says:

Unless Ortiz comes with the “bitamins” & “shakes” that are *legal that seemed to turn him from a no-name hacker into an MVP candidate once & from a washed up shell of himself into a “what a comeback!” DH again, no thanks.

*legality outside of Fenway Park is not guaranteed

15. William says:

Ellsbury was effectively injured in 2010. This year, he was the second most valuable player in the AL.(Bautista was First) THAT’S a comeback.