Oct

Nova has Grade I flexor strain in right forearm

Via Marc Carig and Bryan Hoch, Ivan Nova has a Grade I flexor strain in his right forearm. The right-hander left last night’s game with soreness and went for an MRI today. The injury is expected to heal on its own without complications this winter and allow him to be ready for Spring Training, but obviously this is something that would have kept Nova off the mound had the Yankees advanced to the ALDS.

If you want to freak out, remember that Joba Chamberlain was diagnosed with a strained flexor before needing Tommy John surgery.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. The Big City of Dreams says:

And exhale

2. Jorge (needs a new name) says:

Hopefully the end of the season is the mitigating factor that won’t make things worse, plus you providing us with 80 other examples of the same injury that didn’t lead to TJ. GO!

Did young pitchers just drop like flies and be never heard from again before Tommy John messed up his elbow? Why do I not remember this?

Rest of the Joba thread: Hilarious. Whatever happened to V anyway?

• CP says:

Because they dropped like flys and you never heard from them again.

• Jorge (needs a new name) says:

I’d love for someone to give me a few examples of guys whose faces I’d remember off an ’82 Topps baseball card. :)

• Gonzo says:

I think Koufax’s career ended because of a UCL tear. There are probably countless others, but you only remember the big names. There are probably a bunch of old timey pitchers that had UCL tears that still don’t know or care to know.

• TomH says:

I read once that Navajo moms sometimes began bedtime stories to their kids by saying, “A long time ago, before pick-up trucks….” A long time ago, before we ever heard of TJ surgery, and when TJ himself was just a kid, pitchers would come up, do a year, maybe two, maybe 3, and then you’d hear they had a “sore arm,” and, often, not always, that would be it. They would disappear into the memory hole.

“Sore arm” was a kind of all-purpose diagnosis. I can’t ever recall hearing in the 1950s that Smith or Jones left a game to go have a sore arm x-ray’d (no mri’s or cat’s of course). If a broken bone was suspected, yeah, of course, x-ray city. But “sore arm”? That was a pitcher’s burden and he had to bear it like a man.

3. Thank god this happened at near the end (or at the end, if you look at it that way) of the season, rather than in the middle. Don’t pick up a baseball for a long time Nova and just rest up.

4. Gonzo says:

I think it came at the perfect time though. He can fully heal without trying to push it. I remember Peavy trying to push this injury and losing more time (I think).

• CP says:

Joba pitched through it for a few weeks too…

Of course, the second inning of a do or die game 5 is clearly not the perfect time for this type of injury.

5. UncleArgyle says:

I do feel slightly better. I would have had a hard time imagining the Yankees overcoming the Rangers and the NL winner without Nova. Especially with CC choking on his Captain Crunch against Detroit. Hope it is just a strain and not an “oops, he really does need reconstructive surgery” like it was with Joba.

6. crawdaddie says:

Hopefully, they did the die injected MRI to make sure he didn’t tear the tendon. This type of injury probably happens more than we know.

7. Jeff Leafy says:

It’s scary to see him injured, but hopefully it turns out to be nothing serious. I really like Nova and he’s done a great job, so I don’t want to see his career get derailed by needing surgery.

8. Adam says:

That was my 1st issue with this injury, isn’t forearm tightness one of the 1st signs of tommy john?