Oct

Open Thread: Halloween

Joe's brother dressed up as the Red Sox Collapse for Halloween.

You know what the most underrated, and possibly best part of Halloween is? Going out tomorrow and buying about ten bags of leftover Halloween candy for like, three bucks at Rite Aid. Just can’t beat it, great way to stock up on junk food for the winter.

Anywho, here is your open thread for tonight. The Monday Night Football game is the Chargers at the Chiefs (8:30pm ET on ESPN), and the Rangers are the only local hockey team in action. They’re at home against the Sharks, and I know we have a few Sharks fans lurking in the comments. Anything goes, enjoy.

Discussion Question: If you had to trade one or the other, who would it be, Manny Banuelos or Dellin Betances?

Categories : Open Thread

1. TomH says:

If it’s a matter of “had to“, well, then Betances. Let someone else worry about keeping all those moving body parts in coherent relationship. But, whoever it might be, I have a feeling a trade would be a mistake.

2. Steve H. says:

Assuming the same (or very similar) I’d much rather trade Betances. Higher ceiling but much less of a sure thing.

3. Dan2 says:

Betances. Good lefties don’t come around too often.

4. BK2ATL says:

Funny costume!!!

With no other LH starter of note in the system, if we “had to” trade one, it should be Betances. I want to see the NYC kid make it in the Bronx, but I’d understand. Sucks that Brackman is not even part of the conversation anymore.

And yes, I will be buying up Halloween candy tomorrow morning on the cheap.

5. Bob Kramer says:

Keep that lefty!

6. Ron says:

Any word on CC opting out? Hoping no news tho late in the day is a good sign.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Pretty sure he said he was going to opt out to look at his options, however, the Yankees have a deal for him either 5 or 6 years probably at 25 a year.

7. Dino Velvet says:

Just think what we’ll be missing — we won’t have LaRussa to annoy us anymore.

Now if only McCarver would join him.

8. SevenAces says:

Where is the video game controller that goes with the costume?
    But yeah, great costume.

9. Dino Velvet says:

Boy, that costume sure is gritty.

10. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

can’t even fathom how Ron Washington got on this list.

11. Jesse says:

I’d trade Betances. But what’s the best the Yankees could get for him for someone straight up? Just wondering.

12. Betances without thinking twice.

13. Cy Pettitte says:

CC isn’t opting out, it’s a halloween miracle!!!!

14. Craig says:

Sabathia isn’t opting out according to Buster Olney.

15. Kevin Ocala, Fl says:

You guys should get dressed up as the Phillies starters…. Over the years I’ve read (and seen) that when in doubt about two pitchers choose the better athlete. I’d trade Betances, he reminds me of Herman Munster sometimes (sorry Dellin).

16. Ron says:

No news was good news!!!!!!

17. Ron says:

No news was good news.

18. Brooklyn Ed says:

It would seriously take a Halloween miracle for Soriano to opt out of his ugly contract.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Yeah no kidding that was a terrible contract by Levine, but at this point hopefully Soriano can stay healthy and pitch like a closer so the Yanks can’t just own in the late innings.

19. Will F says:

I still keep hearing about the possibility of David Ortiz to the Yankees. The only possibility I see him signing here is if the Yankees decide to either trade/non-tender Martin (which I do not see them doing) and having Montero catch at least 100 games. I would like to hear others opinion on this subject.

20. Dave Shapiro says:

Rangers look pretty good tonight.

21. YanksFanInBeantown says:

Banuelos, because I have an irrational prospect crush on Dellin Betances

22. YankeeDave says:

Finally went to see Moneyball last night (had to go somewhere there was heat, power had been out since Saturday!). Nonetheless, thought it was pretty good movie, definitely took a lot of liberties but good job by Brad Pitt as Billy Beane and Philip Seymour Hoffman as Art Howe. The kid who played Beane’s assistant was good too, look him up to play Flounder if they decide to do a remake of Animal House, he would be perfect.

Anyone else notice this: The Thurman Munson memorial cartoon was behind Art Howe’s desk. If the real Art Howe had this there, he just gained a whole lot of respect from this corner.

Interesting point about the movie and the whole Moneyball concept: A big part of the 2001-2 Oakland A’s success was due to the pitching of Zito, Hudson and Mulder. Pitchers who came up thought the A’s system that had nothing to do with the whole Moneyball concept. Also – at the end they say how the 2004 Red Sox won the series using Billy Beane’s concept (yes, that and a lot of free agent money!)

I would recommend the movie, but if your electric is not out, wait for HBO.

23. Jake H says:

Betances is definitely the one I would trade.

24. Jesse says:

Prediction: Rangers win the Darvish bidding and agree to deal. Red Sox sign C.J Wilson.

• mbonzo says:

I doubt the Red Sox are gonna bid on CJ with the trouble they’re having with Lackey and they’re past trouble with Beckett. I find it more likely they go for a guy that’ll demand shorter years like Edwin Jackson or trade Beckett for someone young. Someone like Hamels?

25. JobaWockeeZ says:

Fuckign awesome that CC only got 5 guaranteed years. Good job Cash. I know people are disappointed that CC didn’t get a blank check but fuck it. Good job, quick and efficient.

26. whocarestom says:

I’d rather trade Betances, as he has more of a chance of ending up in the bullpen. Banuelos projects as a front end starter, which is exactly what the Yankees need.

27. mbonzo says:

So yesterday the Nippon-Ham Fighters were eliminated from the post season. I think Darvish will announce his plans pretty soon now.

28. CT Yankee says:

Anyone hear any info on if Raffy Soriano’s option got picked up? Been checking into MLBTR and it his and 2 cardnials that are still in limbo it seems.

29. Jimmy McNulty says:

Joe, your brother’s the man. I’d imagine living up to something that awesome must be hard.

30. Jason says: