Oct

Open Thread: More Rain

(Photo Credit: USA Today)

Man, the story of the 2011 season is rain, isn’t it? The Yankees dealt with a ton of it during the regular season and again in the ALDS, and recently the other playoff series have been dealing with it as well. This afternoon’s ALCS game was delayed for a few hours because of rain, and there’s a pretty good chance that tonight’s NLCS game will be delayed as well. Comerica Park and Busch Stadium are relatively new parks, why weren’t these places built with retractable roofs?!? Grumble grumble grumble.

Anyway, here’s tonight’s open thread. The Tigers and Rangers started just a few minutes ago (FOX), then the Cardinals and Brewers are scheduled to start a little later (8pm ET on TBS). Like I said though, no guarantee that one starts on time. Talk about whatever you like here, anything goes.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Sarah says:

Wow, looking at the rain on tv…

It rained here in Texas again last night/this morning. We still need it, so it’s ok with me if it keeps raining.

2. Jesse says:

Last year was the year of the pitcher, this year is the year of rain, what will next year be?

3. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Mike posted this on twitter and I thought it was pretty funny…

• Sarah says:

I saw that, and I concur in the funny assessment.

It really has been pile on the Red Sox day, hasn’t it?

• David N says:

EVERY day is pile on the Red Sox day.

• Sarah says:

True but it has been exceptionally ugly today. I almost feel bad for them.

I do feel bad for Tito, because that’s some nasty, mean crap being written about him (and told to the press by someone).

• David N says:

I feel bad for Tito, because I think he’s a decent guy who is no longer associated with a team I hate. And I think he’s getting far more of the blame than he’s due.

But I can’t bring myself to feel any sympathy for anyone still with that organization.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I was listening to Rome on my way to class today, as it turns out there was a rift between Youkilis and Pedroia, and Tito was quoted as saying that part of the problem was “he was illusioning players that he didn’t have anymore.” Which basically means that guys who were leaders in that clubhouse, are no longer leaders, that means Youkilis, Varitek, Lester, Beckett, and Ortiz. Fat Nick was saying that Youkilis really showed no heart or leadership and that he slacked in his conditioning when he was injured. He also basically trashed everyone on that team except for Pedroia.

Ahhh…good times. Anyways, I don’t think their problem was lack of leadership I think it was lack of production from John Lackey and Carl Crawford. Also, how about what they’re saying about Francona? I mean…that seems unnecessary and perhaps even libel. He seems fine in the booth at Fox, oh well…blame everyone but yourselves Boston…keep up that high class attitude.

• Paul VuvuZuvella (formerly Nuke LaDoosh) says:

I am truly amazed at how fast that team became 25 guys, 25 cabs. Maybe if Pedey had Papi’s size it would have been different. Can’t imagine Pedey getting in too many guys faces in that clubhouse.

• vin says:

I actually can… but maybe he’s not as ballsy as he’s claimed to be.

It’s funny, I remember thinking that clubhouse might be dysfunctional over the summer (August?) when they had the SI story about Pedroia and his unusally close relationship with Francona. The article made it seemed like Tito and Dustin were always hanging out, and Francona used Pedroia to be his enforcer/spy/whatever with the players.

4. Paul VuvuZuvella (formerly Nuke LaDoosh) says:

So is the Theo deal with the Cubs official? I saw a report on Yahoo that it was done.

5. Dino Velvet says:

Theo is gonna have trouble trading Cubs prospects without ESPN, KLaw, & Gammons hyping their value.

6. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Yovani Gallardo-Chris Carpenter. That’s gonna be some good stuff.

7. jay h says:

I love how Jacoby Ellsbury is supposedly not happy with his team. Let’s hope he walks away from them asap.

• Zooboy says:

I hope he runs away ASAP. That dude is fast!

• vin says:

He is a Boras client and has 2 more years of arbitration left. Other than his age (will be 30 when he reaches FA) I can’t see why any team wouldn’t want him.

• mbonzo says:

Ellsbury seems to be very professional, and the Red Sox personnel seem to be the exact opposite. Plus with all the rumors about what the Red Sox players were doing, I’d be pretty pissed if I had to deal with that bullshit on such a promising team. Ellsbury is the only Red Sox I like, even before this great year, he’s just very professional. Put him in pinstripes.

8. David N says:

Al Alburquerque is warming in the Tigers bullpen.

Hide your kids.

9. David N says:

The fact that Porcello is still in there shows how little confidence Leyland has in his non-Benoit/Valverde bullpen.

10. Supernova says:

Amazing how the offspeed pitch can be thrown over and over again to get Delmon Young out. Give credit to Texas’s scouting, coaching, and pitching staff. Makes you wonder where ours was.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

He’s hurt now. I think that has something to do with it.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Also he hit an offspeed pitch from Nova for his home run in game 5

• Jonathan says:

everyone keeps saying this, and yes it was technically a slider, but it didn’t break at all and it was belt high over the direct middle of the plate at 85 mph. That isn’t a breaking ball…that’s a BP fastball.

• Jerome S says:

We kind of destroyed him when he was on the Twins and he played year after year. He’s a shitty hitter who had a hot streak (actually, he wasn’t even that great during the series IIRC just a few big hits). To quote the immortal John Lackey in response to his bench coach, “Shit happens. Drink cheap beer.”

11. Mike Axisa says:

Well this game just got interesting.

12. David N says:

Damn, I would take Brandon Inge on my team in a heartbeat. The guy knows how to deliver.

13. Mike Axisa says:

The Tigers need to score very soon. They have one good pitcher left after Benoit.

14. Jonathan says:

Did anyone read the Gammons bit on MLBTR about how he could see the Red Sox getting “someone like CF Brett Jackson” in return for Theo? That dude has gone completely senile. That collapse must have hit him in the super homer head on the way down.

15. Jesse says:

Yankees shoulda signed Benoit instead of Soriano.

/HindsightIs20/20′d

16. Monteroisdinero says:

Nelson Cruz with a cannon arm in right field-something we haven’t had in quite a while. A nice asset.

17. Jesse says:

Boy, someone sign Joe Buck up for a comedic club after the game…..

18. Mike Axisa says:

I can’t believe how bad Austin Jackson is. I never thought he’d be a star, more of a solid regular, but my goodness. He’s dangerously close to useless offensively.

• Foghorn Leghorn says:

Ian Kennedy’s awesomeness would’ve offset that lack of production, you know.

Seriously though…he is a horrible offensive player and leadoff hitter.

19. Jesse says:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha

20. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Hahaha Valverde

21. David N says:

Boy, that walk to Beltre is going to be scrutinized.

22. Foghorn Leghorn says:

Well, Valverde’s blown it wide open…

23. David N says:

LOLverde….

24. Jesse says:

Hahahahahaha dance off the mound now Papa Grande!!

25. Mike Axisa says:

At least he didn’t blow a save.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

He’ll blow one tomorrow to end the Tigers season.

• David N says:

You could argue that he just ended the Tigers season. Much as I’d like to see it, I don’t see them taking two in Texas even if Verlander does win tomorrow.

• mt says:

That too – if Tigers lose, Valverde’s performance will be the key that turned series but he can still claim he did not blow save.

The trhing about it is – I would even be OK with them making a big deal of his “perfect season” if he dominated while he pitched but he gives up a lot of loud outs and base hits.

26. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Jose Valverde – Best Closer in Baseball**********

27. swishers fauxhawk says:

It’s not a blown save, but it’s a much higher leverage situation.

He’s still the best closer, though.

28. Jesse says:

Hez still da best clozer cuz he never blew a save evar!!1!!!!11!!!1

29. Foghorn Leghorn says:

The more I read about the Red Sox the more shocked I am at these revelations. My question is how the hell did the media not know about these shananigans? If this were the Yanks it would be in the news in real time.

Beckett has proven to be the turd I thought he was.

• Paul VuvuZuvella (formerly Nuke LaDoosh) says:

Frankly, it’s probably not as bad as it is being made to be now. The same press that was sleeping instead of covering this weeks ago, is now telling us that this is how it is. Do you trust them?

• Foghorn Leghorn says:

well, the collapse makes it seem worse. If they made it to the playoffs it wouldn’t seem as bad. But to see how poorly they played and then to read about how the players went about their business is quite amazing. The media always supports that team and gives the impression that its 25 class act team first players.

Beckett’s behavior doesn’t surprise me, nor does Lackey’s. But to learn that Lester was in on it is a bit of a surprise.

• mt says:

Boston media gets reputation for being so “tough and hard” but at core of it I get the sense that the Edes and Abrahams of the world really want them to win and they enjoy tweaking Yanks. NY reporters on other hand especially Matthews and Sherman, etc. – I think all they care about is the snarky story.

1) It is very hard for me to believe thatBoston reporters did not know this was going on – so much of it was open and blatant 2) I think reprorters proteceed Sox 3) if same stuff was going on in NYC, no way it comes out at end of year after an “investigation” (what a joke – some executives blabbed) 4) if Sox had not choked, all of this would never have seen light of day – in NYC, someone would have loved to talk about thsi whther Yanks had won or not

When you think about Red Sox get away with a lot

1) No matter how good of a teammate Lackey might be, his antics and disrespectful behavior on mound is atrocious and would be attacked unmercifully in press if he wre in NYC.
      2) If ,for example, Arod or Tex had burst into a Girardi press conference upset about an official scorer decision (like Ortiz did with Tito), he would not only be criticized heavily but it would continue to be mentioned against him if Yanks did not perform (AROD or Tex only care about personal stats)

Joel Sherman – I do like much of his writing which may put me in minority – but today when he compalined about reader e-mails being caustic and profane, part of me says he deserved it – like Lupica, they go for the dig or snarky comment, especially about Yankees (Sherman also likes to tweak Mets.). Some of the stuff he has written about AJ being a head case borders on a fan’s diatribe.

• Foghorn Leghorn says:

I hear ya, but guys like Shaunessey and Mazarotti seem to live for this stuff. Perhaps they weren’t close enough to the situation as Abraham et al.

in any event, I’m enjoying it…keep it coming. that is a collosal mess. To see them choke and play just horrible baseball in September was one thing…but to then get their manager and GM fired and then to hear all of these issues is just icing on the cake.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I can not believe how they are treating Francona. He’d been dealing with this this for 2 years and HE is the one that’s fired?? Theo or Henry should have intervened. DFA Lackey, nobody would claim him and he could work his way back up through AAA. Beckett and Lester I can sorta understand not doing anything about since they are both very good. This classless organization is just blaming the players’ despicable performance on the best manager in their franchise history. I can only imagine if this happened in NY. The Boston media has just been ignoring this throughout the last two years, but Tito was let go, and that opened the floodgates. I am so glad to be a Yankee fan now.

• Foghorn Leghorn says:

agree…and Francona has taken the high road since he’s left.

on the other hand, that franchise always runs a smear campaign. Damn, I’m glad the Lord made me a Yankee fan. I can’t imagine being a fan of that bullcrap.

Ted Williams’ head must be spinning in his grave!

30. Ricky says:

and there goes the tigers season

31. CUYanks says:

It’s hard to watch this and not feel like maybe the Yankees could be doing better in this series than the Tigers, with the bullpen they had.

• David N says:

Eh, the way the Yankees were hitting in big spots, it’s hard to see them doing any better. Yes, they have a huge advantage in the bullpen, but a bullpen isn’t going to score you runs when you’re behind.

32. nsalem says:

Still not ready to call the Soriano a total failure, Without a doubt he was overpaid, but at the time of his acquisition we were in a very bleak situation. We only had one proven starter and no proven setup man. I think FO’s attitude most of been that this is one less inning that had to be worried about. We had no way of anticipating that we would be bestowed with the emergence of Robertson and the Corey Wade pick up. This was probably Soriano’s worst year in what has been a fairly consistent career in the part of the game that yields the most unstable results. In all likelihood he is not going anywhere for two years and if he pitches to his career average for those years, we still won’t get a good ROI on the transaction but we may get a solid bullpen addition that helps us win games. Last October there those who thought we would have been better off with Jackson instead of Granderson, hopefully by next year Soriano will have a similar change of fortune.

33. V says:

Matt Holliday in his last two at-bats following intentional walks to Pujols has been utterly atrocious. Two strikeouts on 6 pitches each, and he didn’t see a -single- strike in either at-bat. 2 balls, 2 fouls, 2 strikes swinging in each.

34. CUYanks says:

If the Cardinals win the W.S., will this be more or less of a mockery than 2006?

35. Sarah says:

So Rangers-Cardinals WS? Blergh.

36. Ed says:

you guys are better baseball fans than me. as far as i’m concerned the seasons over. this morning my wife asked who won last night. i had (and still have) no idea.

37. Kevin says:

No pity for the Tigers. They’ve had numerous chances in games 1,two and three to take the lead and failed.
    While I can’t help but think if we had only beaten them we could have taken on Texas, the reality is without Nova, I don’t think we would have gone to the World Series.
    More to the point, we didn’t deserve to go beyond the ALDS the way we played, just like Detroit doesn’t derserve the World Series berth.

38. BK2ATL says:

I hope you guys don’t think Theo is leaving on his own accord. That holds as much water as believing Francona left on his own accord. Neither were gonna be welcomed back. They were given the opportunity to leave, and both did so.

Now, after seeing the send off that Francona got, I can’t wait to read the Theo send off. That “boy genius” label crap will take a serious ass kicking in the coming days and weeks.

As a Yankees’ fan, just sit back and enjoy it. Titanic city.