Oct

Open Thread: Rained Out

The Lohses. (Getty)

Game Six of the World Series has already been postponed due to some nasty weather in St. Louis, so the Cardinals will live to fight another day. The forecast is much better for Thursday and Friday, so that’s when they’ll play Game Six and Seven (if necessary). As much as I wanted to watch a game tonight, I’m glad MLB decided to call it. Remember Game Five of the 2008 World Series? That was a disaster no one wants to see again.

Here’s your open thread for the night, but there’s no local sports going on anywhere. If you’re looking for something to pass the time, I recommend Luke O’Brien’s piece on Howie Spira over at Deadspin. Spira’s the guy that George Steinbrenner used to dig up dirt on Dave Winfield back in the day, leading to The Boss’ ban from baseball in the early-90′s. It’s long, but amazing. Anyway, talk about whatever you want here.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Jesse says:

Really wish the Yankees would stretch Joba out as a starter again. That is all.

• Grit for Brains says:

While I know it won’t happen, I think it would probably make more sense than any point in the last 2 years. Looking back on that time frame I think it was pretty f-kd up the way they handled him at the end of ’09.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Yea the stuff they did at the end of 09 was a joke. Normal rest, long rest, normal rest, long rest and then the infamous 2-3 inning relief starts

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

I agree but I also think Albert should ask Tony to play him in RF tomorrow so he can audition for the Yankees ;)

2. Engelbert says:

Tenacious D!

3. Pat D says:

I will never have sympathy, or even empathy, for Howie Spira.

4. The Big City of Dreams says:

Another rain out in 2011 smh

5. Kevin says:

Hayes waits….the Yankees are champions of baseball!!!
    15 years ago, the Yanks came back from a 2-0 hole to win the World Series.

6. Kevin says:

I know it won’t be a popular viewpoint..but if George hadn’t been banned..the dynasty wouldn’t have been possible.

• Mike Axisa says:

I think that’s a pretty popular opinion, actually.

• Plank says:

In the 70s and the 90s.

And then they got good again as soon as his brains turned to spaghetti in the 2000s.

• Plank says:

That’s overstated. They were never not good in the 2000s, but they were able to avoid his mistakes as soon as he was incapable of making them.

• Jumpin' Jack Swisher (formerly Jorge) says:

Uhhhh…..I think that’s what the majority of fans would say. The farm was able to develop, and fans put up with a couple of years of the Stump Merrill All-Stars in preparation for the dynasty.

7. mbonzo says:

So this makes little sense really, but it seems like the Indians have given up with Matt LaPorta. How about LaPorta as a utility player, 4th outfielder/DH/1B/pinch hitter? He probably wouldn’t cost too much considering the Indians are clearly threatening him with a demotion to triple-A, he’s still got nice upside, and Kevin Long is a genius. The deal doesn’t make the most sense, but I’d prefer him in the long term over a player like Andruw Jones.

• BK2ATL says:

That’s pretty much Montero minus the 4th OF scenario. We only need oneof those.

Murton sounds like a better option, if we’re replacing Andruw. At least Murton has been successful recently. Laporta has only been getting by on potential.

• bonestock94 says:

I think Andruw Jones is much more useful than LaPorta. Better everything, really.

• Plank says:

What do you think he would cost?

• Urban says:

I’d like to think LaPorta still has the skills to be an impact player, I’m just not sure where he’d play, especially with Montero slotted for a lot of DH time.

I wouldn’t give up Nunez for him, which is amazing since I’ve never been a big Nunez fan, but Eduardo is a more important piece to the Yankees right now.