Oct

Yanks pound Tigers, force Game Five

I don’t think we could have drawn this up any better. A.J. Burnett was better than anyone expected, the offense scored runs early and continued to tack on before blowing things open late. The bullpen was flawless. Elimination has been staved off, and now we’ve got a winner take all Game Five set for Thursday night in the Bronx. The full recap will be up eventually, but for now you can occupy yourself with the Brewers-D-Backs game thread.

1. Thomas Cassidy says:

A.J. Burnett is a God. I believe that’s all that needs to be said.

All that needs to be done is sending Valverde and his Pussy Cats home.

2. ash says:

Mike. I think you have to abruptly cut short tomorrow’s Live Chat. Just for good luck. ;)

3. Rey22 says:

Everything clicked beautifully in todays game. I have absolutely nothing to complain about. Bring on game 5!

4. boogie down says:

Really pumped about Game 5. Have a lot of confidence in Nova.

5. bobtaco says:

Girardi just said CC is available to pitch in Game 5.

6. mbonzo says:

Yankees have all the momentum and a huge advantage now. Looks like they had Fister’s number in the first game and Nova dominated, not to mention the Yankees’ bullpen will be ready to go with CC/Wade/Hughes/Drob/Soriano/Mo. Home field advantage doesn’t hurt either.

7. Jesse says:

Mike, you gotta have an A.J Burnett appreciation thread tomorrow. He deserves it.

8. Redsox Lose=Happy me says:

Everything went well tonight. Aj Hughes Arod Grandy Bret. Just one of those great games for the Yanks.

9. Thomas Cassidy says:

Listening to Mark DeRosa on MLB Network, I actually like this guy.

10. Bartolo's Colon says:

fuck yeah, aj exceeded every single person’s expectations minus aj’s mom, that was awesome. offense looked great. can’t wait til thursday, i will be there, i really hope they can get it done. awesome game.

11. Dale Mohorcic says:

Not to be nitpicky but Girardi was back to calling numerous bunts, none of which worked out. That needs to stop. Burnett seemed to have a lot of BABIP luck as lots of hard hit balls went right to guys. That being said, lots of strong moves-going to soriano in the 6th, getting Jesus in there and seeing if Hughes could contribute

12. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Nova going, both DRob and Mo probably available for 6 outs each, I’m really looking forward to Thursday.

13. Nuke LaDoosh says:

Yeah, Love that Nova is the guy on Thursday.

14. pat says:

I have a feeling that the Tigers didn’t want this to come back to NY.

15. Avi says:

AJ Burnett: WORTH EVERY FUCKING PENNY

• The Lazzeri Scooter says:

This…..

… already achieved two years when he saved the 2009 World Series and dominated the defending champions down 0-1.

Yeah, he already proved his worth a long time ago, IMO.

Congrats to AJ!!! Saved another Yankee postseason!

16. Gonzo says:

Good job. Game 5 is gonna be fun.

17. Grit Storage says:

Why can’t every game be like this?

18. Xstar7 says:

This was the Yankees’ first must win game of the season and they came through with flying colors. So many things to like about this game. Now they have the MOMENTUM (!!1!1!1!1!) going into game 5.

By the way, Jose Valverde can kiss the fattest part of my ass.

19. daniel says:

“We Play Today, We Win Today. Das It.”

20. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I have this bookmarked along with the NESN story and ESPN’s “expert picks”

21. Paul Avery says:

AJ Burnett gave us all that we needed and more tonight. He was brilliant and if Nova can win game 5 I would upgrade AJ to our Game 2 starter for the ALCS. Nova will pitch Thursday and would not be able to pitch in game 2 so it will be CC-Burnett-Nova-CC-Garcia-Burnett-CC.

• Jesse says:

Woah, woah, woah. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. Yes A.J pitched a whale of a game. But he doesn’t jump from the number 4 to the number 2. I’d still have him behind Garcia with CC and Nova being the front two. All this guarantees is A.J starting Game 4 IF the Yankees make the ALCS.

• Chen Meng Wang says:

Now I don’t know about all that. Don’t get me wrong, AJ pitched well TODAY. But he is still AJ Burnett…he’s still the most inconsistent starter that I’ve ever seen start for the Yankees…I would go
      CC
      Freddy
      Nova
      AJ

22. whitey says:

Don’t bunt to the pitcher!

23. Bartolo's Colon says:

i wonder what valverde is saying now?

24. gc says:

The Yankees had too many singles tonight. Wait, what?? I thought the Yankees hit too many home runs and couldn’t score any other way! :)

By the way, a walk-off victory against Valverde in game 5 would make me very happy. Or the Yankees blowing the game open early. I’m good either way.

25. dkidd says:

tonight was fun

let’s get together on thursday and do it again

26. duzzi23 says:

The Yankee defense was amazing tonight. AJ really stepped up. Loved that Montero came on to go 2-2 with a big rbi n the balk. Id just like to take a second to say that my friend Matt was Grandersons angel in the outfield tonight. Today would of been his 21st birthday if he didn’t die in 06 and he was a HUGE Yankee fan. This wins for you buddy.

27. Pat D says:

Now Harold is talking about how Michael Young carried the Rangers back to the postseason.

MY GOD, SOMEONE FUCKING KILL ME NOW!!!!

28. Jesse says:

Can’t wait for Game 5. But the Yanks will have a much needed off day. I believe in Nova, I really hope he’ll pitch yet another big game for the Yankees on Thursday. The Yankees can hit Fister, we saw that in Game 1, and I think they can rough him up again.

29. You Know, Suzyn... says:

Reverse locks, they’re real.

A to the fucking J, baby.

30. Ed says:

Can someone just say that AJ was mediocre tonight and barely skated by? He had serious control problems, walked 4 in 5.2 innnings, and had half a dozen hard-hit balls with runners on that luckily became outs, including the two spectacular Granderson catches that saved the game. He was good enough to get the win tonight before the offense put it away, but was anything but dominant. I’m happy for the win but felt the same way about AJ as I have all season – he lives and dies by the combination of luck, and Girardi knowing when to pull him.

• mbonzo says:

3 of the 4 walks came in the first inning, he didn’t give up a hit until the Martinez homerun and he was hitting 90% of his spots after the first inning. Oh, the first Granderson catch was in the first inning, the second was off a ball hit off of Soriano, not Burnett. His pitching after the first inning was probably the best we’ve seen all series, sure he got lucky on a few hitters, but he was ace like.

• Chen Meng Wang says:

One of the walks in the first was an IBB to Miguel that anybody in their right mind would agree was the right move too. I’d also like to say that if this wasn’t an elimination game Burnett would probably be allowed to work out of the 6th and at least start the 7th.

• Pat D says:

11 ground ball outs to 3 fly ball outs. I’ll take that.

• Nogomo says:

That 1st inning was unbearable to watch. Yes, he looked great on paper but it felt like he could unravel at any moment. I actually thought he could’ve gotten out of the 6th but it didn’t surprise or upset me one bit that Joe hooked him. Still, one run in almost 6 complete? Way better than expected, no doubt. That’s a good hitting team.

• PaulF says:

AJ was great after the first inning. He struggled with his control in the first but after that he was awesome: 3k’s, 1 bb. The one walk after the first was actually good pitches: 4 fastballs just off the outside corner to Young, who usually swings at those. And he threw a ton of ground balls.

31. Bill says:

I think A-Rod is going to have a big game on Thursday.

32. Mister D says:

Mike – RAB Shop HAS to put out “I Believe in AJ” tees!

33. dkidd says:

so many things starting to click:

alex
    swish
    jesus
    soriano
    hughes
    logan
    aj

i want this team to play another series!

34. duzzi23 says:

This win was for my friend Matt a huge Yankee fan who died in 06 n it would of been his 21st bday today. I swear he was grandersons angel in the outfield. AJ really stepped up surprisingly. The defense was spectacular all game. Loved seeing Jesus come off the bench with 2 hits an rbi n forcing a balk.