Nov

Girardi Stuff: Sabathia, Noesi, Pitching, Coaches, Montero

As the work week winds down, let’s round up some news and notes from Joe Girardi. Marc Carig spoke to the skipper recently, but here’s the really important stuff…

• “I always thought that he’d be a Yankee and something would be worked out,” said Girardi when asked about re-signing CC Sabathia. “I’m glad I was right. I didn’t want to imagine life without CC.”
  • When asked about potential pitching reinforcements from the minors, the first name out of Girardi’s mouth was Hector Noesi. “Is it the ideal situation where we all think they have enough innings in the minor leagues? Maybe not,” said the skipper. ” Between the regular season and winter ball, Noesi is now up to 102.2 IP this season after throwing 160.1 IP in 2010.
  • Just as Brian Cashman said the other day, Girardi reiterated that it’s still too early in the process for him to begin making recruiting calls to free agents. I suspect we won’t hear about teams (not just the Yankees) getting serious with major free agents until the new Collective Bargaining Agreement is announced and everyone knows what’s up.
  • “If he wants to continue to play, and there’s not a spot here, I would encourage him to do it because as a player, you have to make sure all of that is out of you before you decide to retire,” said Girardi when asked about Jorge Posada. Jorge recently said he’s accepted that his Yankees career is over.
  • “I think our guys did a good job last year but these are things we need to sit down and discuss,” said Girardi in reference to his coaching staff. Pitching coach Larry Rothschild and hitting coach Kevin Long are in the middle of multi-year deals, but everyone else’s contract is up.
  • Jesus Montero‘s role next season is still to be determined. He could be the full-time DH, a part-time DH, the backup catcher, whatever you can think up. Girardi did say that Montero’s strong September showing leads him to believe he can have an impact next year.
Categories : News

1. ADam says:

Could be my mistake but I thought that Harkey was set up for next year too???

2. Urban says:

——

I’ve read that line several times, and I’m not sure what he’s saying. Any ideas?

• Mattchu12 says:

I think he is trying to say that he doesn’t expect a big impact from the minor leagues, which in turn means he is expecting full seasons from CC, Nova, Hughes, Burnett, and whoever the Yankees bring in/back from Free Agency (Garcia, Darvish, Colon?) and/or trades (Danks).

That’d be fine with me. All I want for christmas is CC-Darvish-Danks-Nova-Hughes anyways, but will settle for CC-Darvish-Nova-Hughes-Burnett too. Man-Ban could replace Burnett during the second half, and I’d be plenty happy.

3. Brian says:

What if Betances and Banuelos don’t pan out? Then maybe Nova after having a break out year like Hughes did the year before has a down year and Hughes still hasn’t came out of his funk. I just hope none of this happens

• MannyB ace2be says:

I’m sure yanks FO has thought of this scenario and part of what they do this winter should hopefully be a back up plan in case this happens

4. Grit for Brains says:

So saw this on NoMaas a week ago or so, and I think it is an interesting idea: Trade Nova at peak value, yay or nay? I think you can make an argument either way and I guess it comes down to what you can get.

• Plank says:

Do you think this is Nova’s peak value?

• Steve (different one) says:

The implication of this is that the reasons that we think he has peaked, advanced metrics, etc., are somehow not known to other major league front offices. I find that idea somewhat hard to believe in 2011. It’s not 2005, all of this stuff is common knowledge.