Nov

Open Thread: Jaret Wright

(The Detroit News/Steve Perez)

In many ways, Jaret Wright is the poster boy the Yankees’ starting pitching failures over the last decade or so. He was still pretty young (29) when he signed that three-year, $21MM contract, but he had major injury concerns, walked a few too many, and had the proverbial “one good year” under his belt. The craziest part of the contract is that he failed his physical, but the Yankees sent him to the doctors a second time and signed him anyway.

Wright managed to get hurt almost instantly in 2005. He made four awful starts in April (9.15 ERA) after opening the season as the team’s fourth starter, then spent the next four months on the shelf with shoulder problems. In nine starts to end the season after coming off the DL, Wright walked 23 batters and struck out just 21 in 44 IP (4.70 ERA). He started the next season as the fifth starter and managed to stay on the field just about all season, throwing 140.1 IP with a 4.49 ERA. Wright didn’t make it out of the third inning in Game Four of the ALDS against the Tigers, the game that ended the Yankees season.

Brian Cashman cut ties with Wright shortly thereafter, trading him to the Orioles for Chris Britton in a move that took place five years ago today. The Yankees ended up paying the right-hander $18M for 204 IP of 4.99 ERA and 4.60 FIP ball. It’s pretty well known that the Wright signing was a George Steinbrenner move, a move The Boss felt would help lure pitching coach Leo Mazzone to the Bronx after he’d gotten close to Wright in Atlanta. Mazzone never did come to New York.

* * *

Here is tonight’s open thread. There’s plenty of college football on for you to enjoy, plus the Devils are playing as well. Talk about anything you like here, it’s all fair game.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Craig Maduro says:

Man, I remember standing in front of the student union waiting for the U bus back to my dorm back in Chapel Hill and being so pissed off when my dad told me that the Yankees signed Jaret Wright. And I wasn’t even upset by the end of Game 4 because I knew what was going to happen (I was, however, livid after Game 3). Garbage.

I didn’t realize there was the Leo Mazzone angle though. Interesting.

2. Icebird753 says:

Ah…the mid 2000′s were hard to watch during the postseason…the killer offense would get silenced and the pitching staff would get butchered

3. Jesse says:

Queston: If you had to sign one of Edwin Jackson or Mark Buehrle which would you sign and why?

• Brian S. says:

Edwin Jackson because he’s younger and better and blacker.

• Soriano Is A Liar says:

Jackson is more athletic.

/MSM’d

• Craig Maduro says:

Edwin is a Type B free agent right?

• Brian S. says:

Yes. So is Buehrle though.

• Craig Maduro says:

Right. Hm, I knew Buehrle was, but it slipped my mind that Jackson was too. This is a good question. I don’t think either one is a No. 2, but each would make a solid No. 3 in my eyes. I like Jackson more because of his raw stuff, but Buehrle might be the better bet between those two just because you know exactly what you’re getting.

Maybe the question should be Jackson vs. Darvish.

• Dave203 says:

Until Darvish is actually posted, you have to carry on with what you know is available. Between those two, I’d probably take Jackson, but only because I just feel Darvish will not pan out. I know I’m in the minority there, but until one of these Japanese plays actually pans out, I will continue to lean towards the “I’m right until proven wrong” concept.

• Craig Maduro says:

I don’t think you’re going to get many fans to think under that line of reasoning – even though it is a sound line.

At this point, I say just speculate as if he will be posted and then adjust if things change.

• whozat says:

Hideo Nomo? Hiroki Kuroda? Uehara succeeded in the pen, too.

And, of course, Ichiro and Godzilla. Yes, Matsuzaka was not all people hyped him to be, Igawa should never have come here, and the fat toad…well, we all know what happened there. But saying no player from Japan has ever panned out is just flat out untrue.

• Jesse says:

I don’t understand why people think Hideo Nomo was a smashing success in the bigs. He had a career 4.24/4.23/4.67 e/f/x while having a career walk rate of 4.13 per nine.

• S says:

he pitched in the steroid era where a 4 era was considered pretty good. He also averaged 8.4 k/9 and and 1976 innings. And he successful for over 12 seasons

• Dave203 says:

If I’m getting Nomo/Kuroda with Darvish, why spend $100 million?

Nomo is the quint essential example of what we typically get out of Japanese aces — 2 solid years when they hit US soil since nobody has seen them before. Then suddenly, the ML hitters catch on and its a downhill road from there.

Kuroda has maintained a degree of steadiness, but none have been #2 or the ace Darvish is being portrayed to be. With expectations that high, he’s doomed to fail.

• Brian S. says:

All Japanese pitchers are the same obviously.

• Dave203 says:

No, but there have been similarities between the hype for the past “stars” that have been nothing more than 2-yr wonders (if that). Everyone was drooling for DiceK before we were thankfully outbid by Boston (in hindsight). He was supposed to be the second coming of Jesus with his gyroball and we saw nothing of it. They got 1 good year out of him.

You may have high hopes for Darvish, but $100 million high hopes mean he needs to be a legit #2. I just don’t see that happening in his 2 wonder years, or in the remaining 4 years that follow that.

I view Darvish as a high value prospect until he proves himself here. Any higher expectation is flawed IMO. How can you rely on someone to be a #2 pitcher in ML without ever even pitching here? Craziness if you ask me which is why these foreign phenoms, not just Japanese, keep falling short of their projections.

• Mickey Mantle's Outstanding Experience says:

Are you saying that Kuroda hasn’t been a #2? Because he absolutely has been. And Darvish’s career in NPB>>>>>Kuroda’s career in NBP.

• Dave203 says:

Kuroda in the AL East is a #3 — let’s not make Kuroda out to be on the same level as Cain, Hammels, etc — the legit #2 pitchers.

Quoting Japanese stats only goes so far. There is still no way to translate those into stats against ML hitters. Its all speculation and educated guess work (aka scouting). There is a long line of foreign studs who were scouted incorrectly so please spare me the saga of how much different Darvish is. We here this every time there is a new phenom. Rarely to do they pan out.

• Mickey Mantle's Outstanding Experience says:

I was saying that Kuroda’s or any other pitcher’s career is in no way a ceiling for Darvish’s.

Kuroda career: 3.45/3.55/3.62 e/f/x

2008: Pettitte 4.54/3.71/3.68
                      2009: Burnett 4.04/4.33/4.23
                      2010: Either Pettitte 3.28/3.85/3.89 but only 129 IP or Hughes 4.23/4.30/4.17
                      2011: Nova 3.66/4.01/4.15

After adjusting for the AL East, he’s put up similar production to the Yankee’s #2s the past 4 years.

• Dave203 says:

Just because the Yanks haven’t had a legit #2 in a while doesn’t mean Kuroda is a #2 pitcher. Let’s not be ridiculous. #2 pitchers are Cain/Hammels/Fister/Haren. Grouping Kuroda into that group is craziness. You can throw all the stats out there you want, you’re convincing yourself only on that point.

• Brian S. says:

LOL Dave. “Use stats all you want when I can offer my opinion instead!”

• Brian S. says:

How about we “Derek Lowe” Burnett and sign both Jackson and Darvish?

• Dino Velvet says:

CC proves, once you go black you never go back

• MannyGeee says:

Edwin Jackson because he’s on the right side of 30.

• whozat says:

What are the terms? If it’s a one or two year deal for Buehrle at 16 per (something I doubt is possible), vs a 4/5 year deal at 14 per for Jackson, then Buehrle. if it’s similar terms for both, then Jackson

• Jesse says:

Let’s split the difference and say 3 years, but in all likelihood I see Buehrle getting a two year deal and Jackson getting a four year deal, maybe three, but he’s a Boras client so who knows.

• Dave203 says:

I think it will take 3 to sign Buerhle. He will have too many teams bidding for him not to ask for 3. Someone, and I hope its us, will give him a 3/45 deal.

Jackson, being a Boras client and under 30, will likely seek 5. Again, in this crappy market and not being a Type A, he should be able to find a match at 5, but he’ll get 4 for sure.

• whozat says:

The wild card with buehrle is whether he wants that deal. He’s talked about retirement already.

The wild card with Jackson is what was posted here the other day…he’s young enough that he (Boras) might want to try to get him a short, high AAV deal and hit the market again at 31, when he could reasonably ask for a 5 year deal AFTER this contract — if he’s good and stays healthy. He’s been durable, so it’s not crazy to see this as a strategy. I think he gets 5 somewhere, though, going for the added certainty. And I hope it’s not the Yanks that give him that deal :-P

• Craig Maduro says:

That’s actually an interesting angle. Get him that medium-term deal and hope that he finally clicks like a lot of people still expect him to. If he does, he’ll get a pretty massive deal his second trip through free agency.

• Dave203 says:

Buerhle — I am happy with what he brings and think he brings a degree of assurance of knowing what you get when you sign him. Jackson, while he has settled down in the past 2 years, nothing compares to Buerhle’s track record of consistency.

Also, I think Jackson will be asking for more than 3 yrs. I like that we can just pay Buerhle for 3 yrs and be done vs taking the risk on a 5 yr deal for Jackson.

• RetroRob says:

Buehrle. I’m not a Jackson fan and I don’t think he’ll ever be good. He’s another AJ with less record of success than AJ had at signing.

I’ll put more weight in Buehrle’s track record of cranking out 200+ innings. Now I’m not endorsing Buehrle as a slam-dunk pick. It’ll come down to the details and years, but I don’t want Jackson on the Yankees under any circumstance.

No matter which teams these two men are on, Buehrle will be more valuable over the next three seasons. I’d rather have Freddy Garcia back than sign Jackson to a multi-year deal. I’d rather give a spot to Colon again than give Jackson a multi-year deal. And I’d certainly rather give Noesi, Phelps or one of the other AAA guys a shot at the rotation than Jackson.

Trust me. We’re gonna hate Jackson if he pitches for the Yankees.

Did I mention I don’t like Jackson? : -)

• Craig Maduro says:

He’s underachieved and he’d be frustrating, but he isn’t THAT bad. Consider that he’s going to crank out 200 innings himself, could see his K/9 climb over seven if Larry Rothschild can push the right buttons and he’s only going to cost money – albeit a substantial sum of money.

I’m not necessarily endorsing him for the Yankees and I still MIGHT pick Buehrle over him, but I think he could still peak as a steady mid-rotation producer.

And for anyone who’s tempted to cite Jackson’s 3.6, 3.8 and 3.8 WAR totals over the past three years as if we’re a bunch of idiots…the problem fans have with Jackson is his Jekyll and Hyde act.

• Chief Wahoo says:

The J&H act is the issue. I’ve actually had him on my fantasy teams a couple of times, so I’ve followed his starts closely, and his extreme hot/extreme cold act is painful. He’s caused me pain in fantasy; I just don’t think I can handle him on the Yankees. It’s personal!

• Grit for Brains says:

that whole 4.5 k/9 thing over the lat 3 yrs freaks me out on Big Buerhle…Pass. Not saying I like Jackson either but definitely want nothing to do with Buehrle

• Craig Maduro says:

I’m a sucker for the big strikeout numbers, but I don’t mind Buehrle at the right price. I can’t get on board with a three year deal worth $45 million though. I can just see him turning into that guy who does well his whole career and then bombing when the Yanks overpay him? It sucks when that happens no matter who the pitcher is, but imagine if it was Buehrle’s soft-tossing ass? We’d be sooo pissed.

• Craig Maduro says:

Besides, people keep talking as if Mark Buehrle is the No. 2 starter the Yankees covet. He’s not. He’s a No. 3 and the Yankees should offer contract proposals that reflect that.

• RetroRob says:

He’s never been a high-strikeout pitcher. Not his game. He’s actually been consistent on that front and it’s worked for over a decade.

I guess the main concern would be if he lost a couple miles. He can pitch fine at 87. What happens if he drops to 85. I understand that concern, but I have more with Jackson.

4. Avi says:

Jaret Wrong

5. MannyGeee says:

Edwin Jackson… he’s on the right side of 30.

6. mbonzo says:

Speaking of this luring business, if the price is right, bring in Roy Oswalt for two years to lure Cole Hamels to NY in 2012.

Pros
    1. When Oswalt is good, he’s a #1.
    2. His contract won’t demand many years.
    3. He’s one of the few pitching options that lets the Yankees spend next year.
    4. He could bring his friend Hamels to NY.

Cons
    1. He’s a pretty decent injury risk
    2. The AAV might be too much considering he made $16m in 2011.
    3. Hamels could sign an extension with the Phils.

Any thoughts?

• Jesse says:

The possible injury risk scares me away. I’m not sure how he’ll translate to the AL East too.

• Dave203 says:

I know they were teammates, but I’m not sure how bringing in Oswalt lures Hammels. The only thing luring Hammels if he hits the FA market is $$$$.

• RetroRob says:

Right. The Lee’s are friends with the Sabathia’s, and that still didn’t help. Hamels will follow the money and my guess is he stays in Philly. If he’s smart, though, he goes out into the free-agent market and makes Philly pay through the ass and does not give a discount.

BTW Isn’t Halladay’s contract up after 2012? I thought it was a three-year deal? Or maybe it was a three-year extenstion to the last year of his deal, which means 2013.

7. Jamey says:

I was friends with an Indians fan & a Braves fan & one year at a New Years Eve party we all marveled at the fact that we all felt the disappointment of Jaret Wright. The Indians fan felt the disappointment of seeing the heralded, hard throwing “future Ace” of the Indians’ staff have an amazing playoff run then completely having the wheels fall off and instead of watching he & Bartolo Colon anchor a championship contending staff for a decade he watched it all crumble. The Braves fan experienced the disappointment of actually seeing Wright pitch well & then cashing in on it to bolt almost immediately. Then me of course, The Yankee fan who experienced the disappointment of seeing happen exactly what I thought would happen the moment I heard The Yankees were even interested in him.

8. CT Yankee says:

Boise State went down today, Oklahoma State won, Stanford goes tonight. If they win, you think they jump to #2?

9. well you know says:

Jaret Wright was a Brian Cashman move just as Kevin Brown was. And Pavano. And Javy Vazquex (times two).

Cashman is a bureaucratic survivor nonpareil but not all that as an evaluator of useful talent.

• mbonzo says:

Besides Wright, all the other guys had great careers outside of New York.

• Jesse says:

I’m sure Mike would beg to differ considering he said:

“It’s pretty well known that the Wright signing was a George Steinbrenner move, a move The Boss felt would help lure pitching coach Leo Mazzone to the Bronx after he’d gotten close to Wright in Atlanta.”

• Jimmy says:

To be fair, he went after CC also.

• Billion$Bullpen says:

I would like to see what evidence the author of this post has that the Jart Wright move was on The Bo$$. It seems like internet folk like to place all bad deals at the foot of George and give the Ca$hman a pass. See how I did that? Conjecture and no facts, kind of like the part where George gets blamed for Wright.

• Steve (different one) says:

This is a strawman. I think it’s generally accepted that Pavano or Vasquez were Cashman moves. But you have to remember the context of that offseason. The “Tampa faction” was very real. They signed Womack and made the randy Johnson trade. In fact, it was the instant injury of Wright that led to Wang’s debut. Plus the defensive incompetence of Bernie (after Cashman had to trade Lofton away b/c Torre refused to play him) that lead to cano’s debut (Womack was moved to LF and Bernie to DH). It was the success of these moves combined with Cash finding 2 rabbits in small/chacon (plus the failure of the “Tampa” moves) that helped lead the Boss back to give power back to Cashman the following winter.

I’m not sure why people doubt this stuff after what happened with soriano. No one is saying none of the bad moves were on Cash. But some were not, and they are pretty well documented. Olney’s book has a lot of detail.

• Plank says:

Stop acting like Steinbrenner was making moves at that point. He was a senile old man with spaghetti for brains. He wasn’t appointing anyone anything or making any moves. That’s the point that Cashman really assumed power.

• Plank says:

I didn’t mean to attack you. It’s just frustrating that people think Steinbrenner was in his office making moves in the mid 2000s just because the team wanted people to think so. The media totally went along with that fairy tale. It’s fine if they don’t want to do an expose on a senile old man, but publishing press releases that “George Steinbrenner” released should make them embarrassed.

• Steve (different one) says:

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I believe in 2003-2005, George was still very much sticking his nose into the day by day business. Sheffield, David wells part 2, Johnson, etc. there are even quotes from George praising billy Connors for his work with jaret wright in 2006. I agree that he was deteriorating at that point, but I can’t believe that the stories of George signing Sheffield himself were totally fabricated by the media

10. Plank says:

Why is everyone assuming Garcia can be easily had for one year on the cheap? He has proven he can stay healthy and pitch effectively for the past two years. Why couldn’t he get a two year deal?

11. Avi says:

I wouldn’t touch Yu Darvish. The perception that he’s a good pitcher comes entirely from the fact that he dominates in Japan. Dice-K and others have proven that Japanese league dominance doesn’t necessarily translate to MLB success. You have to be nuts to spend $100MM on something thats far from a sure thing. Sign Darvish and you run the risk of having a Burnett like contract on your hands. Spending $140MM on a definite (cliff lee, CC, etc) is a much better idea than $100MM on a question mark.

• whozat says:

No, it’s also derived from the fact that he throws his fastball in the mid 90′s consistently, has a couple very good breaking balls, and is 25.

Also, there is no “definite” excellent pitcher this offseason. You can either spend about 100MM (50-60 of which counts towards payroll and luxury tax) for Darvish, or…pay 120-140 for CJ Wilson. Or 85MM for Edwin Jackson. Or buy a bunch of lottery tickets :-)

• Avi says:

Does he really sit in the mid 90′s? My extensive research (YouTube) tells me he sits at 93 mph.

• M says:

His average velocity is around 94 and if ranked in the MLB would be just behind Felix Hernandez. Most videos on YouTube are from past years, he has since improved his velocity. He frequently hits 96-97.

• S says:

He actually does, look at NPB tracker its a lot more reliable than youtube vids that are several years and at least 40 lbs of muscle mass ago.

It actually was pretty well known that Darvish sat in the low 90′s for his first several seasons. It was also known that he weighed around 175-185 lbs soaking wet. Over the past 3 years he’s worked out, bulked up to where he weighs around 220 and his fastball has benefited greatly for it to the point where he will sit around 94-95 mph with the ability to crank it higher with regularity.

• Avi says:

“Also, there is no “definite” excellent pitcher this offseason. You can either spend about 100MM (50-60 of which counts towards payroll and luxury tax) for Darvish, or…pay 120-140 for CJ Wilson. Or 85MM for Edwin Jackson. Or buy a bunch of lottery tickets ”

Buying cheap lotto tickets is by far the best option you provided.I don’t think Wilson or Jackson will get that much though. Also giving out a huge contract to a maybe just because there are no excellent pitchers out there is a terrible idea.

• Holy Ghost says:

If Wilson gets 120 million I will eat one of my Yankees jerseys. I think 80 to 90 million is more realistic(assuming someone offers him 5 years)…

• Jesse says:

Couldn’t agree with you more Avi.
      I’ve been telling people this all along (not on here, just friends of mine.)

I’ll go on record, and you can bookmark this comment, that Darvish will be no better than a number 3 starter in the states when/if he comes to the states. I’ve watched video of his and he doesn’t have the greatest fastball command in the world. He’s got a good slider though, but his other pitches he throws aren’t that great. I just don’t see him as an ace, or even a number 2 in the bigs. The competition in Japan just isn’t that great. I mean, hell, Matt Murton lead the NPB in home runs…

Also, transitioning to everyday life in the States isn’t a walk in the park either, and not to mention pitching once every fifth day for 32 starts instead of pitching once every seventh day for less than 32 starts. And I believe the change in size of the baseball could also cause a problem for him too.

• whozat says:

Fortunately, the Yanks learned from the Igawa debacle and have had multiple talent evaluators watch Darvish throw multiple times over the last several years. So they’ll probably be making a much, much better informed decision than we can.

• Jesse says:

Of course they will. I’m just giving everyone my take. There’s nothing we can do about it. If I’m right, I’m right. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong.

• Dave203 says:

Completely agree and have been on this page the whole time. While he could potentially impress the first 2 years, I don’t slot him any higher than the #3.

• It'sATarp says:

If a prospect had a ERA under 2 in the minors would you say his potential as no higher than a number 3? Darvish right now is better than any pitching prospect we have now. No way is his potential simply a number 3 at best. NPB = AAAA ball and he’s dominating it.

• Jesse says:

You’re forgetting the transition he’ll have to make with pitching once every fifth day instead of every seventh day, the change in the baseball, and the change in culture, something a prospect in a MLB minor league system has already adjusted to.

• It'sATarp says:

The balls used by Japan is now similar to the MLB balls and it has improved pitcher’s abilities. MLB prospects from latino countries also have to adjust to a change in culture. And the 7th day thing is the only one that concerns me but it seems more of a short term need for adjustment and he’ll get used to it in the long term.

• Dave203 says:

On what basis do you slot him as a #2? His Japanese #’s? Even if someone put up those numbers in AAA ball, they don’t move into the ML roster as the #2 pitcher unless you are the Nationals.

ML hitters are dramatically better than those in Japan. We have had done these comparisons before with several foreign pitchers and almost all have been grossly over-projected. Until they pitch against our ML hitters, better yet, the hitters in the AL East, they are just another high value prospect IMO.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

What move would you like to see them make to improve the rotation?

• mbonzo says:

The perception that he’s a good pitcher comes from how he dominates in Japan. His fastball is way above average, he sits 93-94 but amps it up to 97 when he needs to. Sabathia-esque. The movement on his slider and cutters are incredible too. The only real problem I envision is with his command. He doesn’t have bad command, but he’s learned how to pitch to batters that swing at balls a foot out of the zone.

Dice-K “dominated” the NPB with a 2.95 ERA, compared to Darvish who dominated with a 1.99 ERA. Theres a much bigger difference. Any scout will say that Darvish has much better stuff, 3-4 plus pitches.

You have to be nuts to spend $100MM on something thats far from a sure thing.

If we’re talking about another team, yes. Its not like the Yankees don’t have the money though. Nothing is a sure thing, CC might be more of a lock than Darvish, but whats to say that CC doesn’t pitch again for the Yankees? These contracts are gambles, but if you like Darvish $100m is cheap for 5-6 years of a #2 or ace.

The difference here, is that signing Darvish would cost a lot in posting, but wouldn’t have a huge affect on payroll. Burnett’s paid almost twice of what Darvish would get on payroll, which adds to luxury tax. Darvish wouldn’t hurt the Yankees chances at signing a big free agent. Look at Igawa in this case, he had a very small effect on Cashman in the free agent market.

I agree here. If signing Darvish causes the Yankees to financially be out of the starting pitchers market next year, don’t do it. I doubt that would happen though. Yankees would sit at about $175-$180m with Darvish at an annual $10m salary. (High for whats been predicted)

If the scouts like him, the Yankees need to go for it. I’m no scout, but I’ve seen hours of videos and his stuff is very real. Its a matter of learning the American game. His first year might be tough (low 4 ERA-ish), but I couldn’t see him being a bust with such intense stuff.

• fin says:

I have no opinion on if the Yankees should sign Darvish or not. Really, not sure how any fan can have an opinion on that. Unless you’re a pro scout, you’re just guessing. That being said 100m dollars is a lot of money even for the Yakees. He solves alot of issue for the Yankees, so you have to assume if the scouts love him, he will be a Yankee.

• Soriano Is A Liar says:

I don’t get why we’re all assuming a 3# has no value. Teams drop major money on #3 type starters all the time, even Darvish somehow proves all the irrational Dice-K comps correct, and becomes “no better than a #3 at best”, doesn’t that still make him, like, better than Burnett?

• Holy Ghost says:

There’s no way to predict how he’ll perform in the ML because he hasn’t played in the ML. He’s a really good prospect but I’m not sure if he can live up to the 100 million investment its gonna cost to sign him.

12. Plank says:

I remember the off-season not too long ago when the Yankees signed the legendary Cuban and the popular Japanese guy. It’s funny how life repeats itself.

13. whozat says:

How is it that I was never aware that these uniforms were a thing:

14. Steve S. says:

Ramos’ ordeal has shaken Montero up — “It scared me a little bit but it teaches me things like you have to be careful where you go,” he said

ummmm….he was home, big guy.