Nov

Saturday Night Open Thread

If you hurry up and turn on MLB Network, you can still catch the end of the fourth game of the Taiwan All-Star Series. Here’s the game recap in case you want to know what happens ahead of time. Once that is over, the Arizona Fall League Rising Stars Showcase will air at 8pm ET on the same channel. No Yankees farmhands are playing, but you’ll get to see guys like Bryce Harper, Gerrit Cole, Danny Hultzen, Mike Trout, Jaff Decker (a personal fave), and Mikie Mahtook, the guy the Rays took with the draft pick the Yankees forfeited for signing Rafael Soriano. All three hockey locals are in action as well. Talk about whatever you want here, anything goes.

Discussion Question: Who was a bigger bust, Andrew Brackman or Drew Henson?

Categories : Open Thread

1. Craig Maduro says:

Drew Henson is easily the biggest bust at this point. Andrew Brackman still has a chance to become an established Major League pitcher. I’m not even convinced that he won’t do so with the Yanks.

2. Shuffle Cards for fun says:

Why would i watch some minor leaguers when we have the bama LSU game

3. Soriano Is A Liar says:

Has to be Henson. Henson has one big league hit in 9 PA’s, and went on to bomb out of football too. Brackman’s contract was a bust, but even if he turns into the next Sergio Mitre or Chad Gaudin he’ll still have a better overall career than Henson.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

How did Soriano lie? By proclaiming to be good? Or did he say that he’ll stay healthy?

• Soriano Is A Liar says:

Haha no I started using that when everyone was going nuts about CC lying about the opt out, but then he signed an extension so fast it never had a chance to become funny :(

• Soriano Is A Liar says:

In fact Brackman has already faced 13 MLB batters, while allowing 3 walks, a hit and no runs (no strikeouts…). Those aren’t good numbers, but I think they’re already better than one hit in 9 at bats, followed by dropping out of the sport.

4. nick says:

im a michigan fan, Henson disappointed me two-fold. At least I’ve got the O$U game in 2000 to remember him by I guess since beating them has been a rare occurrence since.

Btw, so nice to see Robby mature into an ambassador of sorts for Yankees and MLB. Really proud of how he far he has come.

5. Dave Shapiro says:

If you aren’t watching Rangers hockey, you hate America.

6. Jesse says:

Henson is. He failed miserably in Football and Baseball.

7. McLovin says:

So happy that the Rangers are winning 3-0 and I think Drew Henson is the bigger bust, Brackman still has a chance to do something.

8. Jimmy says:

Devils up 2-0 after 2. Brodeur has a shot at breaking the all-time wins record tonight.

9. Steve H. says:

Strictly from the Yankees point of view, Brackman has to be the bigger bust. Henson never amounted to anything, but they at least got to trade him and get some value (even if Neagle sucked).

Henson should have stuck to football, even if he couldn’t quite beat out Brady like he was expected to.

• Billion$Bullpen says:

I never heard anybody that thought Brackman was going to be the future savior of our franchise. Henson was being talked about like a cross between Mantle and Don Mattingly from within the Yankees org and their PR machine. I think Henson had no shot of ever living up to the hype that surrounded him. We liked him so much we traded to get him back from a bust in the name of Willy Mo Pena. I wonder if Henson would have been successful if he had just gone full force into football.

• nick says:

he didnt beat out Brady in 98 or 99, but Henson started in the 2000 season and would of been a heisman front runner if he came back in 2001 for Michigan. Sigh.

10. Billion$Bullpen says:

Cano said something to the effect that he likes how the players over there play the game the right way. This comes from the same guy that watched a single off the wall from home plate ala Barry Bonds the other night. Next time somebody gets laughed at on here for saying how much Cano dogs it, think about if first because it sucks knowing how much better Cano could be if he was not trying so hard to be cool and just played the game the right way.

Talent is there, hard work is there (which is evident from the way he changed his hitting and fielding over the years), but damn man his desire to be the best he can actually be is just not there and its depressing.

• mbonzo says:

Desire to be the best? What have Pedroia or Kinsler been up to the last week? You realize you’re criticizing the guy while he’s working overtime? I know a little about his training, and he works a lot harder than you’d think. Just because he makes it look easy, doesn’t mean he’s lazy.

• Billion$Bullpen says:

You must have a reading comprehension problem. Where did I say he was not willing or able to work hard? Actually I said “Talent is there, hard work is there (which is evident from the way he changed his hitting and fielding over the years)”

But give me a break with the whole “working overtime” I see that Granderson is over there as well, and he runs to first base when he hits a ball. I do not think it is an issue of being lazy, I think its an issue of trying to be cool. That is in fact dumb. Cano does not just show this while in games on the other side of the planet, he does it plenty of times in regular games.

Lastly how hard do I think Cano works? I am guessing you know because you said “and he works a lot harder than you’d think.”

• Craig Maduro says:

I’m with mbonzo. The dude is the best second baseman in baseball. He’s one of the best hitters in the game and has significantly improved his D over the years. What else do you want from him?

• The Big City of Dreams says:

A 100% increase in grit?

• Craig Maduro says:

I think you might be joking.

Just in case you aren’t though, I’ll direct you to David Eckstein. I’m sure there are some highlights of him hustling out a 4-3 ground out or fouling off some pitches.

Unfortunately, the only thing that Robinson Cano is going to do is post MVP numbers during the regular season and go bonkers in the postseason.

• Xstar7 says:

“What else do you want from him?”

He has to jump in place before every pitch. He needs to give his all, go all out, dive for every single play, and give himself a totally non-douchey nickname like, oh I don’t know, the Laser Show. He also needs to grow a neck beard. Anything less is unacceptable.

• Rainbow Connection says:

“What else do you want from him?”

Less posing.

• Billion$Bullpen says:

“The dude is the best second baseman in baseball. He’s one of the best hitters in the game and has significantly improved his D over the years.”

Agreed.

“What else do you want from him?”

1) Run hard to first base when his bat puts a ball in fair territory.

2) Work on / learn the basics of what a baseball player is suppose to know once on base.

These are two things that are simple, easy things that he refuses to do.

Now you can laugh it off and say something dumb about grit, this has nothing to do with grit. It has to do with doing the simple things that any 11 year old kid in little league should have down pat.

• S says:

Cano is not a fast runner, he’s not jorge slow but 37yr old Jeter is definitely faster. If Cano tried stealing or something else “a player is supposed to know on base”, its almost a guarantee he’d be caught more times than not.

Cano plays his game in the smoothest way I’ve ever seen. Just because it looks effortless doesn’t mean he isn’t trying, in fact we know he works hard and tries hard.

• Billion$Bullpen says:

“Cano is not a fast runner,”

How would you know? Have you ever seen him run? But my point was not speed it was learning how to run bases. Many slow runners are solid on the basepaths, many fast runners have no clue what they are doing. I am not asking for Cano to be Carl Lewis, I am asking for him to have a clue and work at the few details of his game that are lacking and that are EASY to do.

“Just because it looks effortless doesn’t mean he isn’t trying, in fact we know he works hard and tries hard.”

Again where did I question his ability, or the fact that he does not work hard at what he is good at? What I said is he needs to run out of the box when his bat hits a ball. This is something that any moron can do, but he refuses to do so. He has had coaches, fellow players, and the front office address his weaknesses with him and he refuses to do this.

Everybody quotes Don Mattingly saying that he said early on that Cano will win a batting title. He may win one, but I think if he just ran out of the box he might have already won one.

I am not sure why somebody thinks that when I say what I do not like about Cano, I am saying he is a sub par player or something. I am not saying that. I am saying he is wasting something. Mantle wasted a lot because of his drinking and late nights. Ruth wasted something by not taking care of himself. I am not saying Ruth or Mantle where not among the best players who ever played (Ruth maybe the best) nor am I am saying that we would be better off with another second baseman that is currently playing. I just wish ours played with his head and gave a max effort whenever he stepped on the field.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Some ppl might say it’s there but not there all the time. In 2010 he was a robot. He had a laser like focus that yr.

11. Mike says:

Henson was ranked 14th and 9th by baseball america. Brackman peaked at 78. Henson was the bigger bust.

12. LiterallyFigurative says:

Bama-LSU is where it’s at tonight.

Henson is the bigger bust, due to more hype. I hope the Yanks resign Brackman, as you can’t totally give up on guys that height.

• Jesse says:

Yep, an exciting 6-3 through three quarters of play. It’s sure the game of the century…

• Carcillo says:

CF games don’t have to be shootouts to be entertaining.

I hate both these teams with a burning fiery passion, but I can still acknowledge it’s been a fine game to watch so far. Two teams rife with NFL talent – something I can’t say about my team at this point in time.

• Jesse says:

I never said it had to be a shootout to be exciting. A 23-20 game isn’t a shootout and that’s much exciting than a 9-3 final…

• Rainbow Connection says:

You kind of DID say that, though. If you don’t have knowledge about a particular topic, you don’t have to post about it. Don’t post for the sake of posting.