Nov

Yanks not having any “hi-level” trade talks about starters at the moment

Via Joel Sherman, the Yankees are not currently having any “hi-level” trade discussions with any teams about a starting pitcher(s). They do have interest in Matt Garza though, who a) I really like, and b) is totally available. Things figure to pick up next week at the winter meetings, but the Yankees are definitely moving at their own pace this offseason. “We’re not desperate to do anything,” said Brian Cashman to Mark Feinsand, which is consistent with this idea of playing it cool and letting the market come to them. We’ll see, but I doubt the Yankees will have a quiet winter.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. William says:

Betances, Gary Sanchez, and some C level prospect is good.

• mbonzo says:

That seems crazy for a guy with one true #2 season under his belt. I like him, but theres no way I would give up the #30 and #43 BA prospects plus more for him.

• Ted Nelson says:

I don’t know that you’ll get him for anything less, though. The Cubs gave up 2 top 100 prospects plus 3 useful pieces for him, then he went out and had a career year. I don’t see why The Boy Genius would be in a rush to dump him for less.

Who knows what he’ll actually ask for, but I see Garza as a real “buy high” candidate.

2. Andrew Brotherton says:

I’m guessing Betances, Warren, and Sanchez for Garza. Sabathia, Garza, Nova, Hughes, Garcia

3. MD says:

if our rotation is CC Nova AJ Garcia and Hughes come opening day, we aren’t winning number 28 this year

4. Brian S. says:

Hurry the fuck up pitching market!

5. dean says:

I’d rather pay less for Danks if that’s an option.

6. Grit for Brains says:

I’d do Romine, Betances + for Garza, but I wouldn’t want to part with Monty or Banny to get him

7. Reggie C. says:

We’d all love to accomplish a Garza trade without having to cough up Banuelos. Realistically, thats just not going to happen. Garza can really step into the 2 spot and bridge the fall off in quality from CC to the rest of the rotation. Its ballsy to trade a top pitching prospect these days, but Garza could be ours for a couple seasons minimum, and there’s always a good shot at getting Garza to sign an extension.

Call me a pessimist, but i think a couple of the to-be SP free agent gems of the post 2012 season are going to be off the board. Do you want to roll the dice and hope one of Greinke, Hamels, or Cain is still available?

• Favrest says:

I think it could happen. The Cubs aren’t the worst organization in baseball for the last 100+ years for nothing.

I say offer them Betances, Warren, Mesa and Laird.

• Juke Early says:

Good points. But I still don’t give up ManBan unless it’s for one of these boys: Lincecum, Cain or Fat Felix. Time Cash talked some sense into these other clowns to step up & make a real big time deal w/the NYY, instead of just posing like drag queens for the other girls.

8. Favrest says:

Garza wasn’t so great last year. If the Cubs are willing to unload their only established young arm what does that say about him?

• Steve H says:

That they are trying to rebuild.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Garza had his best season.

• Total Dominication says:

Lol at garza not being so great last year. Are we talking about the same Garza? The guy with the sub-3 tip and low 3 era?

• Total Dominication says:

*fip

• Favrest says:

I stand corrected. He must have had a great second half. I remember him getting lit up in April. Still, if you’re the Cubs why trade him? You just traded top prospects to get him. What would be the point?

• radnom says:

That was a different crew. If they don’t feel they can be competitive during Garza’s stay with the team then it would make sense for them to trade him. It sucks, but holding on to him just makes the mistake worse.

• Ted Nelson says:

In my opinion the point would be to sell high. Guy just beat his career high by almost 2 full fWAR. Good chance he falls off next season, but you might find a team that is willing to bet that was a break-out year rather than a career year… I’m not saying that it couldn’t have been a break-out year, I just think it’s more likely that it was a career year.

• Favrest says:

Seriously, LOL at Garza not being great last year? He wasn’t great last year. Clayton Kershaw and Roy Halladay were great. Look up the word.

9. fin says:

Mlbrumors.com is saying that Yankees have interest in Kyle Drabek. Seems odd the Yankees would be looking a minor league pitcher with a high ceiling and control issues. I think they have enough of those.

• RetroRob says:

Depends on the price. I like a buy-low candidate with high upside. Never can have enough arms. Long ago and far away, the Yankees gave away his father. Maybe now we can aquire the son for not a heavy price.

Just can’t see him moving within division.

10. DM says:

How bout offering Hughes and Betances for Garza? Or Hughes, Noesi and Warren?

11. IB6 UB9 says:

Avoid trades with Toronto. That guy is a shark.

12. Bronx Byte says:

Addition by subtraction. Peddle Burnett and pave the way for Noesi, Phelps, or Warren to show they deserve the chance.

13. OXXbow says:

Garza is not worth more than, say, Bettances and Phelps. The guy is more of a # 3 starter. I think the Yankees will be forced to go after Wilson and others. There are just too many question marks in the current rotation.